“Seriously past its prime, but not priced that way”

Hotel Los Flamingos
Ranked #20 of 179 Hotels in Acapulco
PEI
“Seriously past its prime, but not priced that way”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

I love a good dive hotel as much as the next person, but I expect the bill to reflect the reality of the experience. Los Flamingos is definitely a dive hotel - very run down rooms, outdated and poorly functioning bathrooms, cheap beds, questionable linen - the whole nine yards. But the price is that of a medium quality hotel (or, depending upon the time of year, a top quality Acapulco hotel through Priceline). The view is fantastic (especially the sunsets), but take a cab up for a drink rather than stay there (or even eating there). If you do stay then you will be taking lots of cabs, as it's quite a ways away from everything else. Definitely not worth the price.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ubergeek101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

I stayed at Los Flamingos for two nights in May, for the sole reason of its glamorous history, but knowing that it was 'past its best'. What I didn't expect was to find a dirty, grotty and shabby dump, which is what it is.

The room looked like it was from the 1950's, and I don't mean that in a good way. Most of the furniture and fittings looked like they had been there, unchanged (and sometimes uncleaned) since then. I've stayed in some bad hotels in my time, but have never felt the instinctive need to wash my hands after touching thing in my room. The sheets were clean though, apart from a washed-in bloodstain. The curtains were full of what looked like cigarette burns. The bathroom surfaces were dirty. I mean really, how difficult can it be to occasionally wipe a damp cloth?

The room did have a private balcony, overlooking the cliffs, which was pretty spectacular, but the hotel itself is a way out of the centre.

In short, the whole place looks as if it has had no attention in decades. If I was paying £20 a night I might have accepted its faults, but for what they charge, it is scandalous.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Tom68London
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

We spent a couple of days in this hotel which has a nice pool and nice atmosphere. Lots of pictures of film stars that spent time here. Nice sea view, you can hear the waves from the sea. The official price list was a lot more expensive than what we had to pay in the end.
You can hear the traffic from some of the rooms so make sure you pick the right room if you are sensitive to noise.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicka6241
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2010

I wanted to like this hotel alot. I thought I would love it. Unfortunately I left Hotel Los Flamingos feeling a bit saddened.

I didn't expect much by means of comforts of the room. I knew the price of $65 a night wouldn't get me luxury, but I atleast expected a room that felt clean, one that I could relax in.

The room was dirty. I found a thick coat of dust on an old pack of cigarretes in the closet. There were large crumbs/chunks of something in the drawers of the desk. However the bed sheets were clean! As for the comforter - risk it if you wish, I didn't.
The bathroom was literally the most disgusting hotel bathroom I have ever seen or felt. The floor and shower felt so grimey and dull that I wondered if the hotel refuses to clean it as to preserve its classic Hollywood... germs??? All I know... the bathroom sucked. The one cool thing about the bathroom was the lizard on the ceiling. Being a lizard lover I thought that was pretty cool... but he must have agreed with me and thought the room to be in shabby condition so he high tailed it right out the window.

The bed mattress was so springy that in hindsight I would have been better off sleeping in the hammock outside my room. I actually went and took a dip in the pool late at night and contemplated sleeping in the pool side lounge chairs. But after the swim and noticing that the under water pool light was hanging out of its socket by wires, I just thought to myself of the scene in the film "Syriana" when the kid got electricuted in the swimming pool. So I pulled myself out and scuddled back to my springy mattressed, lizard-less, dirty room for an attempted nights rest.

The bar and restaraunt has very nice service, yet it is over priced and of mediocre quality.

My suggestion to you: stay somewhere else and take a cab to Hotel Los Flamingos to have a drink at the bar to watch the sunset and check out the hotel - because it is beautiful from the outside... then go somewhere else.

My suggestion to the hotel: Make sure the rooms are cleaned properly. Replace the mattresses with something folks can actually feel comfortable on.... because you do have a gorgeous hotel with gorgeous views. Those two things wouldn't be tough to fix and it would make a world of difference.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank devilbenji
brandy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2010

I enjoyed the hotel and staff like always. For me its the best place around. The food, views, pool, staff are all so very wonderful.
I know that this place is not for everyone. But it has so much charm, that it surpasses the hotels short comings.
I don't want to stay anywhere else. I have in the past and came back to enjoy my favorite Hotel Los Flamingso. Thanks to Adolfo and his great Staff of workers for a fantastic vacation. There is no place, were you are treated so kind, like Hotel Los Flamingos.
Paul S.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank psjrnine
Winter Park, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2008

We were taken to the historical hotel Los Flamingos by our favorite cabbie because he toted it as the best place to watch the sunset in Acapulco and he definitely delivered! This hotel is full of history including the Tarzan house where Johnny Weissmuller vacationed with his fellow Hollywood stars. You can even rent out the Tarazan house for $100/night - though I would have paid $300.00/night if I could see that sunset every evening. The service was impeccable. Our waiter brought us to a small cliff just down from the Tarzan house where we watched the sunset by ourselves. He then came back with two coronas - he had to walk quite a distance to deliver our cervezas!

This hotel is definitely not the place to whoop it up and party if that is what you are after but if you are looking for a romantic moment viewing one of the best sunsets in Mexico, Los Flamingos should be your destination.

Los Flamingos is located right near La Quebrada in Old Acapulco so check out the sunset and then head over to the cliff divers to round out your evening.

3 Thank Karissa G
Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2008

Minus the Hollywood history it would have been tough to overlook the need for some basic maintenance on paint & plaster. The place is sitting on a diamond of a location so most people would be happy with just the essentials being more welcoming to guests. All the same, I am glad we stayed for the experience but probably we will try another place next time. The restaurant has a personal charm & good food (with a breath-taking view).

• Liked — History, view, the restaurant
  • Disliked — Poor condition of the facility.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple