“6 star service”

Grand Hotel Acapulco
Ranked #20 of 168 Hotels in Acapulco
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Stayed week of jan8/15. Hotel is a little dated,but the service makes up for that. They treat you like family. We were All inclusive,menu same every day, all made to order. I talked to Fernando, and he went out of his way everyday, to make sure our stay was O.k. They would make you anything they could even not on the menu. I would like. To thank everyone at the resort for the great service,remember to tip,as most only make 4/6 dollars a day. We generally stay at 4/5 star resorts, but the service here makes up for a 3.5 star resort

Room Tip: 20th floor and above
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank baker64

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Beautiful ,renovated hotel, great location, friendly staff. Incredible ocean view. I will definetly come back when in Acapulco. Centrally located to nightlife,restaurants and shops.Clean and big rooms and very friendly front desk as well as all staff in general. Very secure too.

Room Tip: Family rooms have 2 bedrooms and a great ocean view.Amazing night views from the balcony
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank SCFunguy
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My experience at this hotel was below average, and it did not meet my expectations.

First - at check-in, they were unable to give me a king size bed, so I ended up with two doubles. Not a huge deal as the reservation stated either/or, but a minor annoyance.
The room itself was one of the non-renovated rooms on the 10th floor. While the room was large and clean overall, the furnishings were sparse and maintenance seemed to be lacking. The tub faucet would not turn off, leaving a slow stream of water coming out all the time. Also, the security latch was not fully secured to the door. Fortunately, the deadbolt was functional.

The beds in the room were somewhat uncomfortable (overly firm), and there was no alarm clock in the room. Additionally, there was not a do-not-disturb sign, so housekeeping knocked on my door twice before I left.

The hotel charges 50 pesos for a chair on the beach even if you are a guest at the hotel. The pools were nice, but they closed (along with the beach) at 7 pm. This seems awfully early.

The front-desk staff is slow and generally unfriendly. When I checked out, the guy ignored me while he worked on what appeared to be unrelated office work (forms with someone else's room number) for a few minutes before telling me everything was all set.

Not a horrible hotel, but I would not recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank JD262
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We had a great time at this hotel, but it is definitely not a 5-star hotel. Also, during peak periods, it´s management capacity is clearly exceeded. We had to change our room 3 times. The first time was because our room number 1823 was ear the elevator and people stood there talking loudly at 4 am, etc and the hallways are an echo chamber. Our second room (2204) had a better view of the bay but we listened all night to the whirring and booming resonance of the air conditioners/generators. Our 3rd room (2233) had a fantastic view of the bay. This room had a non-functioning phone, a broken chair, and a hair dryer that worked weakly on low speed only. None were ever repaired or replaced despite repeated reminders by us. The internet works fast in the rooms, but constantly disconnects and so one has to constantly login again. It does not have good reach into the pool area. As for cleaning, we had to call back the cleaning lady to clean a filthy drawer (left by previous guests) and she didn´t tend to clean surfaces. The room had a strong tobacco odor when we first moved in, but this gradully disipated. The balcony is nice, but has only one small side table and two small, cheap chairs. There is no refridgerator in the room, snacks or other amenities (except for a coffee maker if you choose a "grand" room!). Apart from that the room was very comfortable and the beds were excellent. The breakfast buffet is very good and staff are really service oriented, although there is no sound absorption so very, very loud during peak hours. Some mornings at peak hour we had to wait for 20 minutes to get in. The seaside bar/restaurant was also quite nice with a good buffet and special menus for certain days of the week. The gymnasium is spacious with nice locker rooms, a big window looking out on the pool and ocean and good quality equipment, but limited in number so at peak hours the equipment is taken. There is no air conditioning in the gym and no personnel there to offer a towel or cold water (and one day, I had to go to the lobby to report a serious leak from the ceiling running onto the gym floor). The elevators are sometime wacky in terms of suddenly reversing directions (deciding to go down, when it should have completed it´s upward movement). At times, we waited so long that we went by foot down the stairs for 22 floors. The pool was quite nice, although during peak weeks, one has to run down to the pool early in the morning to get a lounge chair as it´s capacity is also exceeded. As for security, I was surprised that one day I asked the person at the front desk to make a key for me for a specific room number. She made the key for me without asking my name or any identification.

In summary, we had a comfortable and fun stay, but this is not 5-star hotel. It is therefore over-priced in terms of value for money. It´s a friendly, but rather "tired" family 4-star hotel at best.

Room Tip: Room 2233 has a fabulous view, but during peak weeks or hours you may deal with long waits at and wi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Maureen B
Reviewed 5 November 2013

First, a disclaimer--my husband worked at the Hyatt (now Grand Hotel) in the 1970's and knows many of the current employees personally. We stayed for eleven nights in late October 2013, booked through Delta Vacations. We found that the rooms below the 16th floor are in their "original" state still, and need maintenance updates, but they are clean and the employees do their best to make guests happy and comfortable. We know firsthand that the daily salaries are under ten dollars for most of them, so we did our best to tip generously for good service. Our room had a beautiful view, gleaming floors, and abundant clean towels, washcloths, and toiletries. Internet access is now free for the duration of your stay, although quite slow and it's a little difficult to log on. They tell us that this winter they plan to begin renovating the lower floors, and bring the rooms up to date. The Pescador restaurant just off the beach had great food and service. The pools and grounds are gorgeous. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank patc73
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed during the mining convention Oct 15-20 2013. let me start by saying that the rooms ARE NOT what they advertise, they claim to be remodeling but this is a catch in case you want to "upgrade" to a more expensive upper floor 17th floor and above.
There is no alcohol been served during the day so we tried to bring some beer and where denied entry to our rooms, then later on that same night I had won some bottles of really expensive Scotch that I wanted to put in my bag for safekeeping but again I was told no outside alcohol is allowed that you have to buy it from them, tried several times to explain that this was a gift to no avail, a very rude manager by the name of Cesar threaten to have the guards take the bottles and teach me a lesson if I kept trying to get to the elevators (I've never seen so many private security anywhere else in my life.... they seem to follow you everywhere!!!) So, they took my property and was given a ticket and told me I had to pick them up 1hr before my checkout time!!!
There is no free WiFi, and if you ask why they just tell you to bugger off.
The food is awful and very expensive, I had one of my Canadian associates ask for Ceviche and they brought him something else, when we complained , the waiter replied that if he doesn't want it he can take it back but we had to pay for it!!! Very rude...
We stayed at a Grand Room all of our stay, but our flight was canceled due to weather conditions and they gave us a rooms on the 10th floor for monday.... but holy cow!!! they are terrible, damn, ac didn't work, the TV must be from 1980 and it sounds like a bug zapper (we had to use the remote to turn it on and change channels) the bathroom look old and overall these rooms look like dungeons.
WILL NEVER AGAIN COME TO THIS HOTEL NOR WILL ANY OF OUR ASSOCIATES

Room Tip: if you must stay here (if you fly with Aeromexico and your flight gets canceled, this is where they...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank J J
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We have selected the Grand Hotel in Acapulco for our vacation since 1989. We are self employed and only get 10 days a year to get away. We bring our entire family. Every year the experience has been perfect. The weather is hot-sunny-and no rain , ever. The staff at the Hotel is above excellent. They sweep us off our feet the minute we get out of the cab and treat us like royalty for our stay. We see that they treat all of their guests in the same manner. We would not go anywhere else with the wonderful time we have with them. We feel safe- it is a home for us.
Donna and Bob Stivers NY

Room Tip: The water side views are spectacular.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Bstivers12