“Excellent hotel”
Review of Elcano Hotel

Elcano Hotel
Ranked #15 of 168 Hotels in Acapulco
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Good hotel to stay. Excellent service, friendly staff and good breakfast. The hotel is located in the main horseshoe. The hotel staff are friendly and they helped me in finding out a decent Scuba diving school. They also exchanged currency with ease even though they did not have option of exchanging INR and GBP.

I visited this hotel in May 2010.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank varun j
There are newer reviews for Elcano Hotel

Reviewed 14 January 2014

My in-laws chose this hotel because they had stayed before. Room were clean and comfortable, the A/C worked very good so the room was always cool. There is nothing luxurious about this hotel overall, but it has a good location and very friendly staff. The pool is big and fun to be in when its no so crowded. It has easy access to the beach. The bathrooms on the pool area are big but the A/C is cranked to max so you by the time you pee, you are peeing ice cubes.

If you choose to use the stairs instead of the elevators, witch are a bit small by the way, when you reach the bottom floor for the pool area you seem to come out trough a service station. If you walk down the stairs to reach the lobby, you cross the hotel's office and executive room, it the door right next to the elevators on your right hand if you go in them, on your left hand coming out.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floors offer the best views.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2013

This is a no frills hotel.
Pros.
location
staff
clean

cons
funny smell
lack of wall outlets for charging
needs a few upgrades

I stayed at this hotel for one night, and was not overly impressed, however, felt comfortable because of the staff and maintain of the rooms. I am not sure if I would stay here, but I would advise not to pay more than 50$ a night.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Jasmin T
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Spent several days here with daughter and her friends. Most outstanding was the staff. Friendly and helpful. Some spoke some English and all were eager to teach us some Espanol. The bad publicity has really hurt the tourist trade in Mexico. Several waiters said "please tell your friends that we are nice and that it is safe here!" The views from our room were facing the beach and were wonderful. The beach area in front of the hotel was not at all crowded despite our being there during Holy Week.
Meals were outstanding. Service slow but hey,,,we were in Mexico and the margaritas made the wait more than tolerable

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ocean to the right side of the hotel we though were best. Room 718 was a fantastic...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank steve s
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my mother, It was peaceful and very clean. The staff was amazing and very attentive, helping us find different things we were looking for in town. I felt safe and the beach wasn't too packed, I was worried about travelling to Acapulco because of what the media is saying but there was nothing to be worried about. it was safe and i am very glad i went on this trip.
The food in the hotel was very good and when we requested certain foods (avocado and tortillas) or something that wasn't out at the buffet it was given to us. I love that they served tamales at breakfast and that the food was authentic mexican food!!! i would definetely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank mgatts
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Elcano for 5 nights; arriving on Christmas Day. I traveled with my wife and 3 of our kids (19, 21 & 21 years old). We had 2 rooms.

Our kids had a room with a balcony, we did not. I would advise getting the balcony room – it’s much larger & the balcony is very useful.

Due to some Acapulco reviews & the always negative news media – I became apprehensive about this trip.

Seriously, I found nothing to worry about. Acapulco was fine, friendly, safe, and easy to get around. The Elcano seemed to be in the perfect location for us. We found some very nice places to eat with a short walk to both the right & left of the resort. The meals in the resort were all very good too, but I like to experience the local flare & feel of the places we visit. This was a great experience, a great trip, with absolutely NO PROBLEMS.

The hotel is an older building, but was very nice. The lobby, pool, bar, restaurant, entrance, and beach were all very impressive, I’d give these areas all at least a 4.5 star rating. It’s a typical resort where the people are working each morning: Painting, scrubbing, sweeping, setting up the chairs, etc… The staff are all super friendly & helpful; however only a few speak English. But they are always smiling. The maid service was always quick & efficient. The bar service guys by the pool were especially AWESOME and were always willing to advise on a good, new drink. On occasion they (usually Ricardo & Johnny-boy (Juan))) would make me a coconut drink with gin which was very good. The Front desk people were friendly and helpful too.

The beach was big fun, different from other beaches we’ve been to. There are no shells, seaweed or rocks, and the sand is kind of thick & fluffy. And the waves were always rolling in rather heavy which made for interesting fun just watching people getting knocked around. Some people would just sit there waiting for a big rush of water to push them around. It is a perfect beach with an occasional vendor selling stuff.

I’d say the rooms are probably a 3.5 star rating because they do show their age a bit, but were more than fine. Each room faces the ocean which was perfect. Again, I’d request a room with the balcony, the balcony is great but these rooms also have a larger bathroom. The beds are a bit firm, but I reuested a few extra pillows and slept perfectly. The sound of the ocean's waves must have been relaxing to me, I slept like a baby.

Lastly; we contacted Angel to meet us at the airport. This was perfect. I did not get a chance to use him again but wished that I would have. I would recommend having him pick you up at the hotel too, if you need a cab for anything. He is at : angel_enacapulco@yahoo.com.mx. It was comforting knowing that he would be there waiting for us. I highly recommend Angel. And his van is nice too.

Acapulco ? ….yes, I would do it again. And “yes”, I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Request a balcony room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank LuvDCaribbean
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I came far away from Indonesia and it took me and my family 2 days to reach Acapulco. Stayed here for five nights during winter holiday, Hotel is great with the great view and amazing beach. Room was very big, clean and decorated very much like a boat, we can tell the age of the hotel but it is very well maintained. The staff are great and polite. I took the unlimited package where foods and beverages are free which allowed me to drink the whole day in the pool bar and the beach. I had blast ! and i recommend this hotel !

Room Tip: Sea View !
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family