“Lovely experience in a Junior Suite”

Princess Mundo Imperial
Ranked #10 of 167 Hotels in Acapulco
Portland, Oregon
“Lovely experience in a Junior Suite”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Acapulco Princess was lovely. I’d seen mixed reports on here and had some concerns, but our experience was top-notch. It compares favorably to some of the best hotels I’ve stayed in anywhere in the world.

We took advantage of an offer to upgrade to a Junior Suite/golf-course view for an additional $25/night above the basic room. The hotel upgraded us another step up to a Junior Suite with an ocean view (in the Pearl Tower). The rooms in each corner of the Pearl Tower (and probably the other tower) are suites. These are basically like the standard hotel room where you walk past the bathroom to the bed area but it’s at least 50% wider than the standard room. This gives you a nice seating area and a rather large balcony. If you’re traveling with a group or a large family, one of you could get a suite to have a gathering space for everybody.

There was a slight delay at reception because we arrived right behind a busload of convention goers, but all the staff we met was polite and professional. With so many swimming pools and restaurants, our only trouble was deciding what to do. It was a great get-away. I’m really glad we decided to stay at the Acapulco Princess.

Room Tip: The Junior Suite in the Pearl Tower was a winner. A corner room, very much like the standard hotel r...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gogotom
Thomas B, General Manager at Princess Mundo Imperial, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Gogoton,
I am thrilled that you enjoyed your vacation at the Fairmont Acapulco Princess. We really appreciate you taking the time to post your comments and recommendations to other travelers at Trip Advisor.
Feel free to contact me before your next visit DID +52 744 469 1019 o aca.guestservices@fairmont.com.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Thomas Becker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Arrived at the Acapulco Fairmont on July 12, check in was a breeze we booked 2 rooms 501 and 508 my room was 501 and I must say it was fabulous. The room was large and modern with a balcony that wrapped completely around the room. Blanca the maid did her job great she cleaned and organized everything up to par 3 thumbs up for Blanca. To be honest I had no complaints with the exception that they charge $15.00 US$ for WIFI. I quickly learned to live without it for a couple of days and it felt great to unplug and relax in such a beautiful resort. A must do is the $20 massages you get on the beach for 45 minutes I did them back to back. I didn't really eat in any of the restaurants as we ate outside as to economize a bit. Just had the finger foods by the bar and the sandwich shop which were fine. For good breakfast go to 100% natural healthy breakfast must try the natural juices so good. Toks has a decent breakfast menu too. For dinner head out to La Isla mall they have plenty of restaurants. My kids ages 19 and 13 loved the hotel and all the pools!!! They liked it better than Rivera Maya. Also a must see the cliff divers on the older side of Acapulco. Oh and as far as safety is concerned I felt 100% safe, police presence on the beach patrolling no incidents to report and we were out and about a lot including the older side of Acapulco. Would definitely go back without hesitation...

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Jdam124
Thomas B, General Manager at Princess Mundo Imperial, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
What a pleasure to read your review Jdam124! I am thrilled that you and your family enjoyed your vacation at the Fairmont Acapulco Princess. We really appreciate you taking the time to post your comments at Trip Advisor and the glowing recommendations for other travelers.
Please do not hesitate to write me at aca.guestservices@fairmont.com when you plan to return.
Again, thank you for your kind words, and we look forward to welcoming you back!
San Pedro Garza Garcia, Mexico
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Over all it was a horrible experience, I will try to tell all of what happened to me on this trip. But first I would like to tell you all why I chose to stay here in the first place. One of my friends got married in Acapulco. And for the hotels they recommended us to stay here.

Knowing that the Fairmont hotels are great I immediately made my reservation. BIG mistake, I then decided to check some of the trip advisor reviews about this place and they were all negative. I got worried but didn't really stressed about it. Until the day I checked in.

Just when I was checking in the first bad thing happened they told me I got a room with 2 separated beds (when I specifically had made my reservation over the phone asking for a king bed for me and my husband) after a long talk there was "nothing" they could do. So we had to take the room with 2 beds, ridiculous.

The second bad thing happened just after. Opening the door to our room was shocking, you could tell just by the smell, it was like walking into an 80's hotel. The decor, floors, walls furniture is extremely old. There is a sound system that I couldn't figure out how to use (really old technology). The TV oh my god, the oldest tv I have ever seen, it was a box tv! Common Fairmont we are in 2014 get better televisions! Even cheaper hotels have flat tv! There was no mini bar in the room. And the drawers are so old that you have to struggle to open and close them (see pics). The floor has also a very old style as well as the bathroom tiles. They have no black out curtains. The AC was terrible I struggled at night because it wouldn't be cool enough. The only positive thing I could say the room had was that the closet was huge! The have a walking closet with a good safe inside, and also I liked that the bathroom has a sink inside the bath room and outside the bathroom area there is another sink and a large area to set up your stuff. Also a small stool has been put there in case you want to put your makeup on or do your hair.

The third bad thing I encountered was just after unpacking and going down stairs to the pool areas. My husband and I were told that they had several pools, and that there was one exclusively for adults. So we went looking for it. When we found it we saw it was full of children. So there is not a quiet or more adultish pool ambiance, there are kids every where.

The fourth bad thing was when we finally gave up on finding a more adult pool we decided to take some pool chairs and relax. We called a waiter which was very nice and attentive, but when she brought us our food and drinks it made me regret making my reservation here. We had orders some cheese nachos, they looked disgusting, nothing you expect from a 4-5 star hotel and they were served in a plastic container to-go (the transparent type that can open and close) it felt and tasted really cheap.

The fifth thing that I was disappointed about was the pools. Just clarifying they are not all bad just some things they should really work at. For example, we were swimming and crossed an amazing artificial waterfall to find a cave which was a bar long time ago. All the stuff was dumped in there and who ever swam in there could see the mess. I was hopping that bar was opened, it looked like it was pretty cool.
When we jumped into another of the many pools (this one with a bar) we noticed that the bar space was really dirty, you wouldn't want to even put your hands there because it had brownish water, and there was where they where serving us drinks. The drinks where a little bit pricey for me ( a very small cup of margarita was 90 pesos).

The towel service was great, they have good big white towels they lend you. The staff in general where really friendly too.

The sixth thing that I really got angry about was that, one night we decided to bring a couple of beers and chips to our room and they wouldn't let us pass the food to our rooms (this is not an all inclusive hotel) and I wouldn't mind this rule if they had good food, but the truth is that they have really bad quality in food and we had to eat else where all most of the time (that's how bad food is in this place).

I am really disappointed at this Fairmont I couldn't possibly imagine it would be this bad. But it seems like they forgot about their existence since the 80's and never gave it a make over, it got stuck in the past and unfortunately that is something people now a days are not interested in visiting.

Room Tip: There is a new tower they built where they have all the new cool rooms but they are very pricey, the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Viviana P
Thomas B, General Manager at Princess Mundo Imperial, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Viviana,
Thank you very much for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments, we do take all feedback seriously and I appreciate all the information you have submitted, we are always looking to make improvements. I’ll be sure to share your comments with our team as we are always looking to make improvements.
Regarding your comments about the room I take this opportunity to recommend you to stay in the recently renovated Pearl Tower which offers 310 luxury rooms, carefully decorated with the finest amenities and personalized service.
I would really like you to contact me personally at 744 469 1019 or email me at aca.guestservices@fairmont.com to discuss your experience.
Thomas Becker

Travellers are raving about these Acapulco hotels

USA/Switzerland
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We just spent three nights at the famous Fairmont Princess and had a great family vacation. Yes - it is dated and needs more maintenance, but we found the pricing fair. The grounds are still fantastic and the location too (away from the hustle and bustle of La Costera and close to the new La Isla mall) . We had a large room on the 10th floor with a balcony overlooking the Pacific - beautiful! My kids could not get enough of the water slide at the salt water pool and the water fall at the other pool. There is also a playground and the staff runs a kids club with fun programs that we were not able to try. I was pleasantly surprised by the great service from housekeeping, the restaurants, the pool, etc. We had the buffet breakfast every morning at Chula Vista with a beautiful ocean view and enjoyed the freshly made tortillas, omelettes, juices and other traditional Mexican fare. We also tried the Beach Club, which was not as good. We had a great experience at the Tavola, the Italian restaurant.
We did not have to pay for the tents on the beach, as I read someone else did, and if you want to skip the Internet fee (which annoyed me too), you just have to become a "Fairmont" member at no charge.
We will gladly return and have another one of their tamarind margaritas!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rat1
Dear Rat1,
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. Your glowing recommendations and room tips are greatly appreciated. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your family vacation at The Fairmont Acapulco Princess..
Best Regards
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Just stayed at the Acapulco Princess for a night while on business in Acapulco. The room in the new tower was very nice. Well done with all the amenities and right on the corner with a wonderful sea breeze. The hotel however does not compete with the newer luxury resorts in Acapulco. Food was just okay and the rest of the hotel is quite dated. Service is still impeccable and if your in town for business and like running or playing golf this is a good option for the price.

Room Tip: Any room in the refurbished princesa 2 tower, especially a corner suite
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Aphillips,
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed staying at Pearl during your business trip and certainly this is a wonderful location for golfing and running.
We look forward to welcoming you back!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This hotel was a blast in its earlier years but that doesn't make it a bad place now. The accommodations are nice and the lobby and staff were equally as nice. All in all a great place to enjoy a relaxing vaca

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eric D
Dear Eric,
I am thrilled that you enjoyed your vacation at the Fairmont Acapulco Princess.
Newhall
Reviewed 25 June 2014

As soon as we arrived the staff was ready to assist us, everybody is respectful and make you feel as a special guest, the room was first class, super clean and comfortable, we stayed at the pyramid in an ocean view room, the hotel amenities and restaurants are super clean and updated! The beach is beautiful and the hotel's canopies and beach chairs are super comfortable. We love this Hotel, perfect for our family!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thomas B, General Manager at Princess Mundo Imperial, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
What a pleasure to read your review Sergio. I am ecstatic that you had such a great experience and I am especially pleased that you received such an amazing service. Acapulco is known for its friendliness and it is an honor to work with a team that cares about their guests the way the Fairmont staff does. I have already shared your comments with my team as a reminder of what we do best.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.