“Awful! Go Anywhere Else, But Here!!!!”

and 1 more site!
Real Bananas Hotel & Villas
Ranked #27 of 168 Hotels in Acapulco
Franklin, IN
Reviewed 21 April 2006

We had never been to Mexico before and had always heard how beautiful it was there. We were very excited to be going and staying at an All-Inclusive resort. I must admit everything seems to look pretty from a distance, then you get up close and realize how dirty everything is. Upon arrival, we immediately wanted to leave. When we were checking in another guest was asking a worker why there was a used feminine hygiene product in their waste basket because they had just arrived as well and had not even used their facilities yet. As the days progressed, we found that the hotel workers were very rude to us as well. We understood most of the Spanish they were speaking, but we just did not speak it as fluently and they had very rude comments amongst themselves about us.
We got up to our room and there was huge gaps above and below the doors (where bugs or God knows what else could get in). We did not feel safe here at all! The air conditioning barely worked. The tv was junky and there was only two English speaking channels. There were mostly all Mexicans staying at this hotel and we only ran into two other couples that spoke English at this place. The walls were very thin we could hear everything that was going on next door and all around us. The shower was filthy and you either scalded yourself or took a cold shower. The two elevators were broken every day at some point and we were placed on the 8th floor, so we had to hike all the way up and down until they got it fixed for the day.
The hotel was nothing like is was described. The pools were disgusting, one was murky and the other was filled with bugs and debris. The food was pretty much the same thing every day for nearly every meal. It mostly consisted of potatoes and bread. We got fed up with this and went and ate at resturants and getting stuff from Wal-Mart. They claim to have 3 resturants and 3 bars. The one resturant was open only during certain hours and the other was only open 2 nights out of the 7 we were there. The bar (at the hotel) was only open until 11pm, so don't bother trying to get anything after that. The pool bar was only open 2 times during our stay. The beach bar consisted of a plastic table with an umbrella and a cooler with one kind of beer and a very limited selection of sodas.
The hotel beach area was awful! The chairs were ridiculous. They were plastic and the cracks had been patched up with metal wire that had rusted. We started calling them Franken chairs. Oh and don't try and relax on the beach, the locals are constantly trying to sell you junk and they come all in your personal space. It was very very annoying! The beach area was filthy, there was trash and huge dead fish all over. The water was littered with trash. The rip current will also knock you down! It is very strong! The hotel claims that the beach is a block away. It is a good mile walk across a very busy street where you risk your life trying to get across.
They have horse-drawn carriage rides on the extremely busy streets and the poor horses looked like they were being starved and worked to death. After we witnessed that, we refused to take part in any thing that had to do with animals. Cici (a water amusement part) was nearby and the hotel was suppose to have complementary tickets for guests. We requested our tickets and they were ready to charge us for them. We never went to Cici's.
We were very disappointed with Acapulco and we will never go back to Mexico! We could not believe how dirty it was and how rude the locals are. Everywhere we went we were constantly being badgered to buy something or being asked for hand-outs. Hope this helps!

• Stayed: March 2006
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 9 January 2005

The resort is geared toward Mexicans from Mexican city so you get a bit of a cultural experience staying here. It is not off the beach so one gets a ride to the beach (which by the way is one of the worst that I have been too--too much gasoline at the water edges and it is too crowded).
The great thing is the local flavour of the foods. The variety is not great and the setting is very much 2* which was fine with us since we were on limited budgets. The daiquiris (lime, bananas) were really tasty to us nonalcoholics... We also got free passes to the water parks.
The hotel room itself is ok--nothing to write home about.
We would never go back to Acapulco...

• Stayed: January 2002
2  Thank TravelBugsEB
Reviewed 18 January 2004

If your going on vacation to relax and unwind PLEASE DONT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. This place is the noisiest place on earth. The hotel is old and pretty run down and the food sucks. Only go there if you are Deaf dumb and blind.

7  Thank TDIII
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 31 December 2003

I just returned from staying at Club Bananas in Acapulco and I must say although brochures rate this hotel at 2-1/2 or 3 stars, the hotel is more of a 4 star. Accomodations are well above average, rooms are very large and comfortable and maids maintain them very clean, the food is wonderful, and I'm a picky eater! I've stayed at 3 star hotels before and this was better than any other I've stayed at. They have extensive activities for children, the children's pool is very large and the grounds are very clean. The only reason I would suggest not staying at this hotel is if you want to stay close to the beach, if you want and adults only type of resort, and if you're looking for activities at the beach - they do not have any non-motorized water sports at the beach club - just your towel service, umbrella and chairs are included. The ride to the beach is about 5 minutes (which they provide from 10am-5pm), it's a 10 min walk, and there are alot of families that stay at this resort. I would recommend it to anyone travelling to Acapulco who don't mind the points mentioned. But I must stress that the hotel accomodations are great, the food is very good with lots of variety and theme nights, dj nightly, sometimes singers, a show once a week which was spectacular. The beaches are beautiful and the location of this hotel is walking distance to other entertainment/bars in the area. Have fun, I did ! And for those who spoke badly of this hotel, I think you had one too many drinks, I was hesitant at staying at this hotel after reading certain reviews, and am so glad I did, I was pleasantly surprised !

64  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 2 November 2002

I have stayed at Bananas 5 times. I have had a wonderful time each stay. I found all the people (except a few) to be very friendly and helpful just plain nice people.

It has been 3 years put I hope to return this year.

They had what I think was the best bartender in the world. Great guy, family man, well informed and english speaking. If you ever meet Luis Morales please tell him Michael Labelle says Hi.

I liked Bananas location. Just enough off the beaten path. Yes its old but it is Mexican.

My rooms and I once stayed in a villa were always clean.

The food is good and over the years their variety
was much better.

I never felt Bananas had to enterain me I mean look around it is Acapulco.

Their is only one thing that would keep me from going again. If they lost Luis I go where he is working. That's were the fun is.

All in all a fantastic life experience.

Do I get a free room for this? :)

Michael Labelle

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed 16 October 2002

I was disappointed from the time we entered this 50+ year old hotel to the time we left. Which was less than 24 hours. One of the very small pools use to be a fountain. The "bar" on the beach consists of an mexican and a cooler. The rooms are dark and dirty. There was no shampoo and you had to sign you life away at the front desk just to
get a Remote Control. The ONLY person I would recommend this hotel to would be a collage student trying to get the cheapest trip possible!NEVER AGAIN!

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 August 2002

Well i went to the club bananas for my first trip to mexico and let me tell you it was an eye opener. The rooms were not that bad but far from good. The pool area is small and so is the bar. They made great drinks though. I went with a friend of mine and we had a ball but mostly off the resort at the huge disco bars. Goto the Palladium and Disco Beach you'll have a blast. We took a small boat tour to Palao Island for like $10 and it's only about 3 hrs but we got our moneys worth from the bar over there because it's all included as well. But when you get back on the boat make sure you bring two or three for the ride.Back to the hotel we stayed in the suite but the people in the hotel thought it was not good especially the bugs and stuff. There is no beach so it sucks you have to walk 10 minutes down the street to get there. You have a designated area but they only serve beer which i don't like.The food was not bad for the first couple days but after that we found ourselves eating other places.
So to sum this up we had the greatest time partying like the best bars ever but the hotel was just somewhere to lay our heads. I would'nt suggest taking a girlfriend or wife there they will be disapointed. We also only paid $720 taxes in and that's all it was worth.

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member