“Great Destination”

Ranked #67 of 179 Hotels in Acapulco
Ontario, Canada
“Great Destination”
Reviewed 11 March 2005

My husband and I went to Acapulco for the first time this year. We stayed at the El Tropicano. The outside of the place is nothing to look at but the gardens on the inside of the hotel are nice. The rooms were clean...a tip, if you can, get a room on the left side of the building, these rooms are better maintained than the right side (or so it seemed to us). The food here was not bad, and the staff and drinks were great. The location of this place was awesome....right in the heart of the action.

My husband and I loved Acapulco. You can relax on secluded beaches or party all night...it has it all. One thing I would not recommend(unless you love silver and want to get it at a good price), is going to Taxco. It's a silver mining town that's 31/2 to 4 hours away. It was a neat place to see but we wasted a whole day driving to and from Taxco.
Other than that, our trip was a great time and we plan to go back as soon as possible.

6 Thank jb1Ontario_Canada

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Reviewed 7 March 2005

When you pull up to El Tropicano, it doesnt look like the other beautiful hotels that you see on your travel. You go inside to the lobby and when you look onto the grounds it reminded my sister and I of Melrose place. It was a cute little hotel located downtown so it was close to bars and the beach. The only bad thing I have to say about this hotel is that the bathrooms arent that nice but other than that it was a great for the money. The food wasnt that good but sometimes it was. The staff were great. It was a nice place to stay because it is so close knit. We ended up partying with all the young people that stayed in that hotel which was really nice. There wasnt any bugs in our room and it was really clean when we arrived. If you could request a room, ask for the second or third floor to the right or left of the second pool. I had room 514 and a couple of my friends staying there had the opposite side of me and they were nice. Also the hotel is located right beside Wal Mart which is 24 hours and VIPS, a restaurant also open late but the food isnt really that good (dont order the enchilada)!

Here are some tips:
Do not pay anymore than 10 pesos for a cab ride when going anywhere on the strip, which includes all the bars; palldium, maderas, disco beach, baby lobsters. There are two bars in walking distance of this hotel, baby o's and el albrises ( i think thats how you spell it).

Try to take the bugs because they are more likely to accept your offer than the nissan sentras. BARGAIN UNTIL YOU GET IT. Also, give them the money as you get in because they try and up the price when you get out...this happened to us twice. If you would like anymore information, you can email me or add me on msn...phat_n_fine69@hotmail.com.

One more thing, the beach that is close to the hotel is not that good, so I suggest taking a trip to Coleta beach. It is beautiful. Also, since this was spring break, if you like to party with rowdy people, Copa Cabana is the place to be during the day. They have amazing entertainment while you lay by the pool and get a sweet tan. This hotel is about a 20 minute walk from El Tropicano. I would walk along the beach because you get better sun and its easier to get to. It's the big yellow building.

For clubs, it costs anywhere from $20-$40 american to get in. Tuesday and Thursday is ladies night at Palladium which costs like $8.00 american. Wednesday night is ladies night at Manderas. The reason why it is soo expensive is that its open bar all night...the bars dont close until 5:00am. So what we did was have a siesta (a nap) until like 10:30-11:00pm and then got ready and went out at 12:00am, which is when it usually starts getting busy. It will cost a bit more for a cab ride back because its late but I think we paid 20 pesos at the most. Offer your lowest and dont go until you find someone who will do it for that price.

Restaurants:
You have to go to Mango's. Excellent food and a beautiful setting.
Los Tacos has great tacos.

Have fun and remember these tips! It's stuff that we learned while we were there!

I went on February 24 and got back on March 3, 2005, and it was the best time of my life. It was really good weather too!

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 February 2005

We where their from the 7 till the 14 of feb 2005.The place is old but it's clean. Food and drinks was very good.Two pools ,small but ok.In our case we didn't want to pay to much because we knew we where going to do a lot of stuff outside the site of the hotel.A place you must go is La playa gloria,it's a nice beach ,quiet very beautiful. We went to la playa puerto marques for an afternoon and you have a lot of sellers bugging you.And forget about the beach in town it's very dirty.If you see a man on the beach with a captain suit,he sell a tour it's a good one !! Is name is captain Saoul!! A good place to go on Thursday or saturday is the restaurant La lomita!! Get ready it's different but the experience is just great!

For a thousand per week ,it's a fine clean and safe place to go.If you want to stay a the hotel only i would say upgrade a bit ,bigger pool ect...

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London On
Reviewed 7 January 2005

I am currently planning a trip back to El Tropicano for the fourth time. This time Iam taking 18 of my younger brothers friends.
I assure you that this is an honest and nice place to stay. If you are looking for basic needs and a good price you will not be dissapointed here. While the food is not like our expections here in Canada its better than others that I have stayed at in Acapulco. It is not for the super picky traveler, but the place is clean however each section of the hotels rooms are quite different in quality.
The people are much more pleasent and honest than other hotels I have come across, and if you are looking for good silver just ask the nice sales man with the booth by the pool. Tell him what you are looking for and he will get you it... even if its not on the table. He will bring it the next day. You will find his prices to be honest and his silver is real. He will tell you which pieces are not. I suggest looking else where first to see the selection.. and then come to him with what you want. It will be cheeper. He speaks very little english... but you should understand him enough to get by.
The greatest feature about the hotel is that it is located in a very good spot. Right beside a 24 hour walmat that has anything you need. As well as many other resturants and bars. Its in the middle of the bay meaning you will be about 20 min from anything you want to do. Most of the places are in walking distance.
I guess the downside of the hotel for some of you may be that it is not located on the beach. But i have never had a problem. The beach is located about a block away and there are two pools at the hotel anyway. I suggest going to LaPalapa hotel located a block away on the beach.. they have the best spring break parties there and everyone is welcome in there pool to the swim up bar. However (DO NOT STAY THERE) I wouldent give the food to my dog.
Please stop by a resturant called mangos... great food good prices. You should be able to see ads for it in your hotel room tv... it really is a good place to go.
Please contact me if you have any questions about El Tropicano or Acapulco for that matter, as I am eager to talk about it and share my experiences. I have come to love this place. If i can give you info to make your trip more enjoyable then its worth it. I have had some not so good times in certain places in Acapulco and I have experienced almost all the attractions.. I can tell you witch ones are worth the time and witch ones are not.
As well as which nights to go to the clubs.
Victoria
shadesvictoria@hotmail.com.
ENJOY ACAPULCO

14 Thank shadesvictoria
Swampscott, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 August 2004

The El tropicano is an excellent place to stay if you want the Mexican atmopshere. Sometimes it can be a little too much--on weekends they open everything up to the natives and the pool is full of children and adults. For the most part it is a good spot with many conveniences such as Walmart etc next door. Good restaurants in the area. Overall a good idea.

11 Thank Redfx404
Reviewed 15 March 2004

I met the girl of my dreams here 17 years ago. She was a beautiful mexican girl and the staff here went out of their way to make our stay a memorable one. I am still married to this beautiful faithful Mexican girl. The El Tropicano was a great memory for me forever.

God Bless Ron

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 February 2004

Spent a week in that place in September of 2003. When we went out we noticed a maid standing outside our door, suspicios. We returned an hour later to find our luggage had been gone through and all my travel agent id and documents were gone.The management would not allow me to use their phone to call police. Absolutely the worst travel experience ever. A definate "no"

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Acapulco hotels