“What a mistake....”
Review of Hotel Mision

Hotel Mision
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Acapulco
Hotel Mision
Ranked #59 of 178 Hotels in Acapulco
Vancouver, Canada
“What a mistake....”
Reviewed 4 January 2013

People all told me not to go to Acapulco, but I have problems listening. New years resolution - take more seriously the advice given by trusted people.

The hotel was not bad when compared to what was outside it. After experiencing it, why anyone would want to go to Acapulco, especially the old part, is beyond me.

We arrive without a reservation on New Years eve and got the last private room available. It contained two twin beds, with ensuite bathroom (minus the toilet seat). The room had a dresser, and a chair, a sink, and a small bar fridge.

Everything considered the room was acceptable. Although I have no idea why so many places in Mexico are lacking toilet seats? How much could a cheap toilet seat cost? $10? And this is a hotel... We improvised by duct taping magazine pages around it, and it actually wasn't bad, but this was a hotel, not an outhouse.

The neighborhood is horrible. There is basically nowhere decent to eat, the beach was overcrowded and there is garbage everywhere. I will never go back to Acapulco, and if I did I certainly wouldn't stay here. It seems like it might have been a cool city 30-50 years ago, but no one has done much to improve it since then. It's basically a filthy huge city with horrible traffic crowded around a beach.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank BOOIS1982

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Allegedly the oldest hotel in Acapulco, and some of the beds feel like they have the oldest mattresses in Acapulco. We had to change rooms after one night, as one of the beds had absolutely no spring left in the mattress at all. having said that, this is still a great place to stay.

We arrived late at night, at the beginning of the rainy season, and although our first room was quaint, the beds were not and I soon asked to move. The owner, I think, thought I was a little crazy when I sat on all the beds in the various rooms he offeredm until I found a comfortable one. I'm suer he only humoured me because we were the only guests. Having accommodated my eccentricity he seemed to adopt quite a parental attitude towards us and asked us about our day when we came in each night and we started to refet to him as "papa" much to the amusement of his family.

The hotel offers great value for money at only 200 Mexican pesos per person per night and it's sited in a fabulous location. The main square which hosts a small market daily is just two blocks away and La Quebrada, where Acapulco's famous cliff divers risk their lives several times a day, to provide a stunning disply of gynastic prowess is within walking distance; admittedly up a steep hill. Just a block away you can jump on a local bus along La Costera, the coastal road, to any of the beaches from the old town to the new high-rise, air-conditioned tourist zone as well as further afield to Pied de la Questa, all for just 6 Mexican pesos per person.

Hotel Mision is accessed through large wooden grilled gates from where you cross a red-brick paved courtyard decorated with potted plants featuring a large tree in the centre. Our room was on the first floor so we had to cross the open courtyard to climb external stairs, which meant we got quite wet on some days and had to walk through water that completely cvered our feet.

All in all this hotel is in great location, the rooms are clean but basic, and if you're on a budget this ticks a lot of boxes, but if you want high-rise luxury then stay in the new part of town.

Room Tip: Room 21 is the biggest and best room and the only comfortable bed I can vouch for!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Innspector
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 24 September 2011

If you want to be in the heart of the old city this is a great place to stay. It's not for everyone, but if you are on a budget and want a clean safe convenient place to stay, well this is it. When we first arrived my friend wasnt to happy with my find, but once he entered into the courtyard he was all smiles. It cost us 200 MXN pesos per person per night for a room with a fan, there are screens on the windows to keep the mosquitos out. If you like to lay out on the hotels beach and want A/C in a high rise building then this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: All rooms are basically the same
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Creeping_Death_LA
California
Reviewed 23 March 2008

This is a converted small convent in the old section of Acapulco, away from the "touristy" beaches. It is located near the old plaza where the locals go to hang out in the evening. Minimal services, cold water showers and reeking of charm. The courtyard has a large 3 story mango tree that drops fruit with a thud throughout the night. Rooms are small but clean. Wow what a great price for Acapulco! $25-50. If you like to eat and shop with the locals, be near the best local fish restaurants and close to the beach try this place. Save your money for the local restaurants and shopping. How much time are you going to spend in a hotel in Acapulco? I always stay here.

• Liked — price
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank tortillabay
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 January 2006

We stayed at Hotel Mision for one night in January 2006. We felt it was quite overpriced at $25 US per person considering the missing toilet seat in our room. The room was clean, however the lackluster service at the desk left something to be desired. This hotel appears to be past its heyday. OK for an overnight.

• Stayed January 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 December 2003

My family and I really enjoyed the pleasant atmosphere of this economical hotel, also the food was fancy at nice prices. the location is fantastic, just a couple of blocks from the central park. I go there yearly, I won´t change it.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member