“Doesn't get any better than this”

Mayan Palace Acapulco
Ranked #6 of 167 Hotels in Acapulco
orlando
“Doesn't get any better than this”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I have to admit. I was very skeptical about traveling to Acapulco. I had read some bad press and wasn't sure what this vacation would be like. It took some serious coercing tactics by my wife to persuade me into this trip. My wife had been in communication with a gentleman by the name of Baldo Gomez (a highly recommended driver on trip advisor). He responded quickly and precisely and with great detail. He is the main reason that I decided to move forward with the trip. Baldo's Nephew also works with him. His name is ramone. He was very helpful and we had a blast with him as well. These guys speak perfect English and are so helpful and really know the history of Acapulco. Boy am I so glad that I took my wife's advice. This was by far the best location we have visited in Mexico and possibly anywhere else. Everything was beautiful and there is just so much culture and so many great things to do in Acapulco. Thanks to Baldo, we did not waste any time on researching. He recommended places and things to do and we trusted him without question. He was so right on everything. Everything we did with Baldo was great. He even recommended that we spend some time at the resort and knew when we would need to kick back and relax or get on the move at the many great places. If you decide to contact Baldo, make sure you go on his city tour, the Laguna experience, and save an evening for dinner overlooking the bay. It is an awesome sight with so many lights. I have never seen anything like it. My only recommendation is to ask if they can break change for your pesos before you buy anything. If they can't make change....don't bother. Make sure you have plenty of 20, 10, 50, and 100 pesos denominations.

The Mayan Palace was the perfect location and family spot. The pools were really great and the staff at the restaurant and pool bar were so courteous and professional. The food was awesome at the Samba and Marcos, Gabriel Gonzalez and Israel de la Cruz really went out of their way to provide immaculate service. These guys really went out of their way to make us comfortable. Juan Carlos, and his friends call him Juan Carlos, was such a nice guy and provided a friendly and fun service at the pool bar.

I don't know what else to say. Between Baldo Gomez and the guys at the Palace there is not much more I could ask for. This was the best vacation we have been on and I plan on making the trip every year, at least once a year.

If you are making this trip, be sure to contact Baldo. baldo-work@hotmail.com

I plan on traveling back to Acapulco again sooner than later. I don't see any reason not to stay at one of the Mayans again and will definitely contact Baldo prior to my arrival to book him up :) My kids ask about him and when we are going to see him again, literally every day.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank brianm373
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at Mayan Palace Acapulco, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear brian m:

Thank you so much for choosing Mayan Palace for your vacation and for sharing your review with us. We are happy to learn you enjoyed our food options and that you and your loved ones had a good time. We really thank you for your kind comment about the staff and the service they provide. We are certain Marcos, Gabriel, Israel and Juan Carlos will gladly receive your feedback as they always look to meet our guests’ expectations to the fullest. Comments like yours are an incentive to continue perfecting our performance.

We truly look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Mayan Palace Acapulco Management.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The Mayan Palace Acapulco was a perfect place for our family with 3 children ages 4, 8, and 10. I can honestly say that without a doubt our driver Baldo Gomez was a huge part of the reason that our trip was so wonderful! He was hands down the highlight of our trip. My kids still say they miss him so much and that he was the best part of the trip! My husband had huge doubts about the trip because of a lot of the media stuff going around, so I read many reviews on trip advisor and decided to contact Baldo. He responded immediately and continued to respond quickly and in length to all of my many questions. He also informed me that my flight would probably be delayed (which it was) and that he would keep track of it and would wait--this was such a huge relief because we didn't arrive until about 2:30 am. It was such a nice feeling to have him waiting for us when we arrived. I highly recommend the city tour with him--it was fabulous! He will cater to whatever you are looking for in your trip! His nephew Ramone was amazing too--he took us on a wonderful trip to the Lagoon (which I also highly recommend). Baldo took us to the most amazing places to eat--I have to say that I have never eaten such amazing tacos!! Needless to say, my husband was incredibly happy that we had Baldo and couldn't believe he considered for us not to visit the beautiful Acapulco! I could go on and on... I highly recommend contacting him--you won't be disappointed--just make sure he is available for us when we come back:) he can be contacted at bado-
work@hotmail.com
The resort itself was perfect for us! We spent quite a bit of time there (which we normally don't do). The lazy river was wonderful! The only thing I would say about that is that I wished it would stay open a little longer---I think they shut it down at 6pm. The pools were
wonderful and I especially enjoyed the swim up bar. The
resort was beautiful and peaceful--not one person bugging us or trying to sell us a time share. The restaurant and the staff were superb! We are there several times! The Grand Mayan was beautiful too and a great experience to see the vendors on the beach--they will harass you, but I think that is
part of the fun to see a little bit of the culture--super cute beach cover ups for a great price down there along with a wonderful massage! We will definitely be back--such a beautiful place and such a perfect getaway!

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Purpleriley
Dear Purpleriley :

Thank you very much for providing your comments about your vacation at Mayan Palace. We are pleased to learn you had a wonderful vacation, that you enjoyed our food options, the lazy river, the massages and really thank you for your kind comment about our staff, as we consider them one of our biggest assets.

Our primary goal is to ensure you are able to relax during your much deserved vacation, and we are pleased to learn we achieved this goal by reading your comment.

We will be delighted to welcome you back!

Hyannis Port, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Good workers, cleaning place, beautiful beach , good hospitality , we loved the place and the Acapulco city, we went las quebradas, old Acapulco, hotel flamingos, laz Paz church .
We have wonderful time, I hope will came back soon

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Fabiano221
Dear Fabiano221 :

Thank you very much for providing your comments about your vacation at Mayan Palace. We are pleased to learn you had a wonderful vacation, that you enjoyed the beach, you perceived the resort’s cleanliness and We really thank you for your kind comment about our staff, as we consider them one of our biggest assets.

Your comments are always welcomed. We always like to hear about our guests’ experiences since it is the only way to truly know we are doing a great job to making your stay enjoyable.

Sparta, Kentucky
Reviewed 14 March 2014

The resort is beautiful, clean, safe, entertaining, and spacious. I can not say enough about the amenities of this resort. The grounds are exquisite, exceptional service, and spacious/clean rooms. Although the Mayan is not right on the beach, it is within walking distance and a shuttle is available all day/night. You have access to all of the resort which includes the Grand Mayan Palace and Sea Garden. All your entertainment, food, shopping, and other needs can be fulfilled on the resort. although I would not suggest NEVER leaving the resort, Acapulco is BEAUTIFUL.

All of the staff here at the Mayan are friendly and helpful. There are two employees who really made our stay here more fun, relaxing, and enjoyable, their names are Ramiro Anica and Andrez Ramirez. We enjoyed lounging by the pool, engaging with other tourist, and with the staff. Ramiro and Andrez made us feel welcome, appreciated, and respected. They are very professional and dependable.

We recommend staying at the Mayan in Acapulco, Mexico. This was truly one of the best vacations we have taken and plan to go back again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Shannon H
Dear Shannon H :

We really appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your detailed impression about your stay at Mayan Palace. We are delighted to learn your trip was fun and you enjoyed our food options, our facilities, grounds and our staff’s service. Everyone works tirelessly - day and night, to make our guests’ visits the most comfortable experience ever. We will gladly share your comments with our pool bar’s staff as well. We are certain Ramiro and Andrés will gladly receive your feedback, as all our staff is always looking to meet our guests’ expectations to the fullest.

Comments like yours inspire us to continue creating ideal vacation experiences.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The Mayan Palace Hotel looks fabulous for me the different activities offered me for my family as the water park, the discotheque, spa service always offering gym . I was always offering the best and friendly service. I also found a person who offered me a tour called Miguel Angel Amezcua acapulco that led me to know beautiful places where my family and I had a good the mail taxy driver amezcua836@hotmail.com his truck is # 33 they recommend is suche a nice person that really

Room Tip: The Suite is very nice
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank William S
Dear William S :
Thank you for providing your comments about your vacation at Mayan Palace. We are delighted to learn your trip was fun and you enjoyed our water park, the discotheque, spa, gym and our staff’s service. Everyone works tirelessly - day and night, to make our guests’ visits the most comfortable experience ever.

Our goal is to make each one of our guests’ vacations relaxing and we look to please them by making sure they receive all the benefits they are expecting to enjoy during their vacation.

It will be our pleasure to have you as a guest again.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This is a resort review but I wanted to first comment about the awesome service provided by our driver Sabastian. We selected Sabastian after carefully researching several private drivers in the area. Although all the drivers we contacted seemed experienced and safe we were most impressed by Sabastian's thorough and fast responses to our questions. He provided us with airport transportation and a stop to the grocery store in route to the resort. He shopped with us to provide translation in the store which was a nice bonus. We booked an Acapulco City Highlights tour with him one afternoon and this was a very personable tour taking us to the Chapel of Peace, mural of Diego Rivera, jewelry shopping, Flamingo Hotel (recommend the CocoLoco), finishing with evening cliff divers. All of this was VIP service and Sabastian went above and beyond to walk with us and give us deep local history of each place we visited. The evening ended with Sabastian driving us to Tarascos, a local authentic Mexican restaurant chain. This was not a planned part of the tour, we asked him to do this extra at a place he recommended where locals frequented . We bought him dinner and the food was fantastic and inexpensive. We also booked a deep sea fishing trip through him with transportation to and from the dock included in the price. This was a private trip, just for my wife and me, on a nice size fishing boat. 35-40 feet, 2 levels, 6 lines. Captain Ricardo and his son René worked very hard to make this an event of a lifetime. We left the harbor early morning with a fantastic sunrise. We caught our first fish, a small tuna, within minutes of leaving the harbor. A short while later we and caught a huge sailfish that I fought for over 40 minutes and just as we had it close to the boat to land it took one last dive under the boat and snapped the line. Then just before the tour ended we caught a second smaller sailfish (84 inches small) which we landed successfully. I very highly recommend this fishing company, we could not have happier with our day on the water and would definitely ask Sebastián to book this company again. A final tour with Sabastian was a private beach dinner for Valentines day. This beachside restaurant typically only serves lunch into the afternoon but Sabastian called and arranged for a special meal of locally caught shrimp, lobster, and snapper at sunset. The meal and location were worth the price. Sabastian became a friend throughout the week. We look forward to a return vacation to Acapulco and will definitely seek his services again. We highly recommend him for all your transportation needs.

Now about our stay at the Grand Mayan. We traded in through RCI. The oceanside rooms are reserved for owners so our room faced the mountains and cityscape. But in reality, this was nice because our room naturally cooled off as shade covered this side of the hotel mid afternoon so we didn't need to run the air conditioning, which is another story all together. The hotel is elegant. Check in was easy but wi-fi is not included free, $90 for the week PER DEVICE which sorta blows but a must for skyping kids back home. The gym and spa amenities are also an extra charge. But, maybe worth sitting through a timeshare presentation as a negotiated benefit. The spa is incredible. steam and dry sauna and a very large hot bath as well as an icey bath. Very calming. We ate breakfast for the timeshare presentation, ate at the buffet the first night, then at the Italian restaurant at the Sea Garden another night. For all other meals we ate in our room or local restaurants off campus. The beach and swimming conditions were the best we've experienced in all our trips to Mexico, including Nuevo Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, and Mayan Riviera. The beach was miles wide, gradual grade to the ocean, and with clean soft sand, no rocks or coarse seashell fragments. The surf was slow and gradual too, waves breaking about 80 yards out in chest deep water. The water depth in first 50 yards was ankle to knee. Very safe swimming on hard compact soft sandy bottom. There was a lifeguard on duty all day. There were plenty of covered sunning areas the entire week but you did have to get out by 10am to reserve. The pool area filled up sooner, but we like the beach so we spent a most of out time there. The best part of the beach other than cloudless skies were the massages. $20 is really inexpensive for an hour massage that in the states can go for $60-80 or more so tip well people. There are vendors on the beach just like every other Mexican resort so politely say no if you don't want anything. But there were some cool crafts, bags and sundresses so we did contribute to the local economy some. The only downside to our trip was the moldy smell in the room from the A/C. I've read other reviews since returning home that commented about he same. We informed the hotel about this but nothing was done. I can guess there is a systemic issue that eventually will be addressed. We were grateful we had a mountain view room so that the shade could cool the room later afternoon so we didn't rely on the a/c. We ran it the first night, got stuffed up, then kept if off the rest of the week. Also, there was some light construction in one room on our floor but this was not a disruption during our stay. Neither was the large scale construction going on to add on to the owner part of the resort. I would not discourage you from staying here even after reading other reviews complaining about the construction because it was not an issue. The cleaning staff was great and were appreciative of tips left for them.

We've taken a trip to Mexico each of the last 6 years and Acapulco is far and away our favorite so far. The weather was the best yet, 85 F and cloudless blue skies every day. The people were super friendly and the Diamonte zone clean and safe. We'll be back soon.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Steve Z
Dear Steve Z :

We truly appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at Mayan Palace. We are very pleased to learn you liked our resort, the spa, the beach and our staff, as creating ideal vacation experiences is our main goal.

Greenville, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

We were pleasantly surprised at this wonderful location and our stay in Acapulco.
Even though there was construction going on it was never disruptive of our stay. For example one night overnight a whole area had been re-landscaped. The workers did everything at night so as not to disrupt the visitors as this was an area near the pool.
Perfect sunsets EVERY night! Always a cool breeze off the water too. Great grounds to have morning walks etc. we own at Mayan Palace in Cancun and stayed here in the Grand Mayan. We loved the extra room and had a wonderful beach front view. We did also enjoy the lazy river and restaurant by the pool at the Mayan Palace. January is a wonderful month to visit!!!!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Robin H
Dear Robin H :

Thank you very much for providing your comments about your vacation at Mayan Palace. We are pleased to learn you had a wonderful vacation, that you enjoyed our grounds, the lazy river and your ocean view.

Your comments are always welcomed. Our primary goal is to ensure you are able to relax during your much deserved vacation.

We truly appreciate your preference and look forward to serving you again in the near future.