“Treated like a queen”

Mar Azul
Erie, Pennsylvania, United States
“Treated like a queen”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Mar Azul has the best location. All the rooms have a balcony over looking the ocean. Wonderful way to wake up in the morning. The staff of Eliud and Arullio are the best. Very accommodating and eager to give recommendations. The pool was perfect and they have the best massage on the beach for only 200 pesos which is around $18.00 US for 45 minutes. Totally relaxing. It was very safe to walk the beach and around town. They have a book in all the rooms to read of previous recommendations which was wonderful. Fresh delicious bread delivered daily. You will hear the bread man yelling early every morning. Acapulco is beautiful!! If you don't want to go out they have a bar and grill food available too. They thought of everything.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Rene W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Pros: This hotel is well located in the middle of the Costera. A 6 peso bus ride in one direction takes you to Walmart, and in the other direction you can ride all the way to La Caleta Beach or before that you can get off at the Zocolor. As far as I know, each “room” is actually a suite equipped with a full kitchen which is really well appointed, I have stayed in condos that didn’t have all that this kitchen supplied. I was quite impressed. It is another old building BUT it is well maintained and there have been updates. The white kitchen cabinets looked quite new. The furniture was okay. It reminded me of an older Hawaii outfitted condo. Nothing to write home about and nothing to complain about either. The views from the front facing rooms is excellent. And there is a huge glass window for the living room wall which gives you great viewing from the inside. The inside was quite comfortable, including the bed. Linens were nice as well. Two gentleman predominately man the front desk. Eliud was our favorite. He helped us with restaurant selection and a fabulous snorkel trip (had given up snorkeling on the Pacific Coast of Mexico, but this trip was awesome-and I am very picky!), and arranged cab rides when needed.
The pool is small but clean.

Cons: there is no room for lounge chairs beside the pool so you have to go up to the sun deck. Okay fine, but when they say SUN deck they mean SUN deck as there is only one palapa covering a picnic table and the only shade is the loungers that are next to it. But at least they are comfortable. The wrought iron chairs on the decks off the rooms are very uncomfortable and, my biggest complaint was that on the beach there are really nice palapas giving you shade BUT there are hard wood chairs underneath. I don’t know how anyone manages to sit there for longer than 5 minutes. Even the low end hotel next door had loungers on the beach. I love spending time on my deck, but didn’t do much of that at this hotel as they are very small and have wrought iron chairs which again, are not very comfortable.

SUMMARY: If I were ever to go back to Acapulco (which honestly, I don’t see happening), I would pick this hotel for all the pros that it offers.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank VictoriaTraveller15
Kentville
Reviewed 16 December 2013

If you're looking for a place to have a great vacation, look no further than Mar Azul in Acapulco. First they have a book in each room that previous guests have given their opinions of local cuisine and areas of interest, very helpful. The place is very clean, the staff are very friendly and helpful especially Eliot at the front desk. He can assist you with just about anything,I have never met a hotel employee with his knowledge and integrity,he only wants you to have a great time. Over at the pool bar Danny and Lily will make you some great fries, hamburgers and the best Margarita in Acapulco. Don't forget to sign up for wing nite on Wednesday nite,it's pretty damn good.This place is small and it lends itself to making friends and having fun. There are all kinds of restaurants and bars within walking distance and you are within a 7 peso (7cents) bus ride of Walmart for groceries. The beach is great but the water can be a little rough. Acapulco is very safe but like I tell people it's like everywhere else in the world if you're out after 2am only bad things can happen (didn't stay out late enough to find the bad things). It's a great time to visit Acapulco because it was one of the first destinations that tourists used to frequent, not so much anymore and because of this prices at restaurants and bars are cheap, everthing is 2 for 1. Even fishing and snorkelling is a lot less expensive than other areas, we caught 9 black tuna and 2 Mahi Mahi and a sail fish that got away. Brush up on your Spanish though because of the tourist inactivity the younger Mexicans have not had the chance to learn English as well as their parents. All in all a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Get a room on the east side you won't get the afternoon sun which is pretty hot.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank DrZap32
Elkhart, Indiana
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at Mar Azul 11-2/11-9-2013. The staff at Mar Azul were friendly and helpful in every way. Staff members are informative about the area and will point out the must see locations. We use public transportation, walked the main streets, shopped in local shops and always felt safe and welcomed by all. The view from our room was incredible and the pool area was private and well kept. A special thanks to Eliud and Aurelio.
We used Oscar at margoorganizacion@prodigy.net.mx for transportation from the airport and all our tours. The tour to Taxco was incredible. A town I will never forget and plan to visit again. Visit Andre's Art in Silver shop, unique designs and great prices!Thanks Oscar and Alejandro for a wonderful time.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 911Ally
Ontario
Reviewed 7 November 2013

This is a great resort, right on the beach. They have a great little pool and hot tub, refreshing after a hot day.

There is a guy there that makes the best homemade fries you will ever on this planet!! You ask for an order of fries, and he literally cuts the potato in front of you and cooks it up, delicious!! His chicken burgs are pretty good too! He is a bit moody, but his food is great  The staff here are nice, very friendly and accommodating.

Location is amazing!! Steps from downtown, lots of restaurants and shops close by. You will need it as the guy that makes the fries and such leaves at 6pm, and there is literally no action after that. Most of the people there are regulars so if you can hook with them it’s great, they are super nice and know of all the great places to go to! It is also a very safe and secure location, good security all around. Enjoy :)

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank Carolina0011
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 21 May 2013

This was our first trip to Mx. Me and my bestfriend Lena take a trips for our birthday every year. Mar Azul was the trip this year for Lena's Birthday. It was our best trip ever, anywhere. I called and arranged transport with Aurelio, He had Oscar pick us up at the airport. We got to the hotel and Aurelio met us with hugs, Like he had known us for years. We set up tours to see the cliff divers, the Acarey boat tour, and the city tour. Alex was our tour guide for all of those. He took pictures for us, helped us in and out of the van, he was very patient with us when we were on the city tour. He even took us shopping for food because we slept through the orientation tour. He helped me use the atm because I didn't understand it. He was wonderful!!!! Monday was Lena's Birthday, Alex escorted us to lunch a Coco Loco's He took more pictures for us. Arranged some one to come sing to Lena for her birthday. Then back at the hotel we had Alrelio and Eliud taking care of our every need. We felt like Queens. While you are there you have to go to Miss Vicky's Jewely counter. She gave me a lady bug and had it mounted in silver for me. it is really a treasured peice. She has the best prices around, I think we got to know most of the guest at the resort, just by going to the pool. Everyone was so friendly. I know we met people from 5 different countries. The resort was small. But I felt totally safe there. It was a wonderful trip,

Room Tip: We were in room 10 we loved it.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Deefam3172000
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 13 May 2013

This was our second visit to WIVC Mar Azul Acapulco and, although I believed that nothing could top our first stay, I was wrong. Both Eliud and Aurelio made my wife and I feel as though we were returning home to family rather than vacationing at a timeshare. If there were such a contest as “Best Desk Clerk of the Century” Eliud and Aurelio would get my vote and I suspect anyone else who has every stayed at WIVC Mar Azul must feel the same. We were fortunate enough this trip to have three wonderful weeks at WIVC Mar Azul and believe me, we were as sad to leave after the three weeks as we were after our first visit. The weather was very cooperative, average temperature of 88 degrees each day and not one single drop of rain during our entire visit. The unit we stayed in this time had updated furniture and a brand new gas stove in the kitchen, not that we spent a great deal of time cooking with all the wonderful places nearby for food and drink . We are again looking forward to a return visit very soon

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family