“Epic Mexican Adventure!”

The Grand Mayan Acapulco
Ranked #2 of 168 Hotels in Acapulco
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I don't even know where to start. We traveled to The Grand Mayan and stayed there for a week. From the minute we arrived in the middle of the night, the place was absolutely breathtaking. The atmosphere of the hotel is amazing especially at night. We were welcomed by the front desk who spoke English. All of the staff at this hotel is very friendly and informative but we definitely had some people that went above and beyond.

Our first full day there we decided to take a trip to Wal-Mart. The hotel has their own taxi drivers which made me feel better about getting in a cab with a random person. We happened to luck out and get Jose Luis Peralta or Pepe Pipa as he is more commonly known. He ended up not only driving us around but pretty much turned into our tour guide. He speaks very fluent English and I would highly recommend asking for him when you need a driver. We had two hungry guys that wanted to experience what Mexico had to offer as far as food. Pepe took us to a place that had the most delicious barbacoa we had tasted. Now Fair warning it wasn't in the tourist area. He also ended up taking us to the farmer's market ( Also not in the tourist area ) where we spent way too much on all the delicious fruits!

We decided to do the presentation to receive our free breakfast and our discounts to the spa. I was really hesitant at first thinking we would be pressured and end up annoyed and not thinking it was worth it. I couldn't have been more wrong. We did the presentation with Chris. He definitely made it more informative than pushy. Had we had the money we probably would have walked out owners. We mentioned that we wanted to go Spear Fishing during out trip and mentioned he may have a contact.

After that presentation we met Cici. She gave us the next presentation where we were referred to a place called Acaburger (again not in the tourist area) This place had THE BEST BURGER we have ever had, which should mean a lot coming from an american. It is a little hole in the wall but don't be discouraged by that the food is amazing. We also mentioned to her that we wanted to go Spear Fishing. Between Cici and Chris they made it happen.

Yerry (Jerry) was not only nice enough to take a spear gun on his boat trip, which he normally doesn't take, but he was also nice enough to change the day for us. He normally does his boat tour on Thursdays ( Keep that in mind if planning to do it) but he did it on Wednesday since we left early the next day. This was probably the best thing we did all trip and well worth the money! it was $100 US dollars per person. He along with his buddies Carlos and a man they called Champion made the trip amazing. They took us on a trip all around the coast showing us all the beautiful houses. They are very well knowledge d on them. They then took us snorkeling/ spear fishing at La Roqueta (Sp?) It was beautiful. They had snorkel gear fins and noodles to make it relaxing. The fish there were beautiful and they made sure you saw them. Champion even caught us some oysters which he let us eat later. They then took us to a restaurant called Palao which can only be reached by boat. The food was pretty good and they even had a little show. (Be as energetic as possible you may win a prize) We also went to la Quebrada to see the cliff divers. ( A must see by the way ) After that these wonderful people managed to maneuver this boat through some rough waters as a storm was coming in. They even made it seem easy as all of us thought we were surely doomed. They then took us Jet Skiing. Might I add that they also had a sandwich for a snack and ALL THE BOOZE you could possibly want, which they offered you throughout the whole trip. Afterwards they took as back to our starting location where the taxi drivers who had picked us up took us back to the hotel (This was also included in the price). WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!

Last but not least, Mi Amiga. Our housekeeper for the week was Rosa. Now this place takes its housekeeping very seriously. I'm pretty sure we had people come in and clean at least 3 times a day. Rosa was helpful with my Spanish and suggestions on what to do and she truly was mi amiga!

Now as of right now the hotel is doing renovations as well as they are in their off season so not only is there a lot of construction but some things are not open or only open certain hours. However this would not discourage me from coming here again. I would definitely recommend this place and will definitely be coming back.

Must Do's:

-Go to Playa de Puerto Marquez and get a Coco Loco (Beware of the vendors)
- Take Yerry's Tour
-Go to AcaBurger
-Definitely Check out the Spa
-Haggle for the ATV's and Jetski's
-Watch out for solo's (Ask Pepe Pipa)

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing the beach
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Ronnie S

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Our family enjoyed a week of outstanding service at The Grand Mayan. We are hard people to impress and we were totally blown away by everyone's professionalism & friendliness. Absolutely everyone at the resort made us feel welcome and pampered. We've never experienced such sincere staff anywhere, it appeared to us that they took real pleasure in making us comfortable. The Master Suite was just lovely and fully stocked with all essentials. We couldn't have had a better time. Thank you so much! Can't wait to come back! Thanks Angel for being our wonderful driver!

Room Tip: You just can't go wrong staying at this resort. We've stayed in Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, e...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa R
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This was my first time to travel to Acapulco, MX. I stayed at The Grand Mayan. It is a beautiful resort and offers many places to recline and enjoy the surroundings. The room accommodations are exceptional. I especially enjoyed having a kitchen, which was equipped with a microwave, refrigerator and stove top. The resort offers fun/relaxing activities for all ages. For transportation, the resort provides access to authorized ground transportation. I enjoyed the ease of securing reliable transportation. Thank you, Grand Mayan! Driver/Tour Guide, Carlos Alegria Corona, provided transportation during my stay. I recommend this resort property when you visit Acapulco and Carlos for your transportation and tour guide needs during your stay. His email is calegriacorona@gmail.com. Phone: 044-7441203568.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dee T
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Acapulco, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Dee T :
Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback about your past stay with us at The Grand Mayan. We are delighted to learn your trip was fun. We are happy you enjoyed our accommodations and we are pleased you found our resort to be beautiful.

Our goal is to make each one of our guests’ vacations relaxing and we look to please them by making sure they receive all the benefits they are expecting to enjoy during their vacation. We are always happy to find out we have achieved this.

will be our pleasure to have you as a guest again.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Just returned from my first trip to Acapulco. Stayed at the Grand Mayan Resort. Entire staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean and roomy.

Before going to alcapulco I read the reviews for tours and guides and was prepared with two names from the reviews. ONe of them was Carlos Alegria Corono. Arriving at the resort one of the first people I met was Carlos Alegria Corono, nicknamed "happiness" by the bell staff at the resort.

I highly recommend Carlos for all of your offsite needs ie tours, grocery shopping or running to the local McDonald's. Carlos is very knowledgeable, friendly, speaks fluent english and listens to what you want to do on your vacation. He has access to take you anywhere you want to go, but he is not pushy about it. His pricing is also fair and reasonable. Take Carlos' name with you on your next trip to Acapulco.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lori M

Dear Lori M :

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback about your past stay with us at The Grand Mayan. We really thank you for your kind comment about our staff, as we consider them one of our biggest assets.

Your comments are always welcomed. We always like to hear about our guests’ experiences since it is the only way to truly know we are doing a great job to making your stay enjoyable.

We truly look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We just finished a whole week in the resort.
The resort very well kept and fully operational although quiet deserted, it is "Off Season" .The staff is highly professional, helpful and very welcoming.
The best place to dine is the Italian restaurant "Il Fronto" in Sea Garden hotel nearby.
For a guided tour in the city we hired the service of Roberto Alarcon. He deserves all the compliments that you can read in details in previous reviews, extremely recommended (744-4219608) !!!

Room Tip: Rooms in a high floor facing the ocean are mostly recommended.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ishemer

Dear Ishemer:

Thank you so much for commenting about your stay at The Grand Mayan. We are pleased to learn you had a wonderful vacation, that you enjoyed our food options and We really thank you for your kind comment about the staff and the service they provide.

Your comments are always welcomed. Our primary goal is to ensure you are able to relax during your much deserved vacation.

We truly appreciate your preference and look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I booked our vacation with RCI last year for our April 19-26, 2014 vacation and being that I am a planner and try to think of things ahead I contacted the resort right away to make special room requests, one of which is an Ocean View… As a family, we usually take atleast a week of "US" time away from it all and have pretty much stayed mostly in Mexico and the Carribean. I have always been granted that request except for this resort. They replied with “we are unable to guarantee your room request.” I was still hopeful though. Here when we arrived at the resort I told the staff checking us in about my requests and she said that it was EASTER HOLIDAY so all the OCEAN VIEW rooms are already taken. When we got to our room, I read a pamphlet and sure enough they have a written policy that states ONLY RESORT MEMBERS can have an ocean view. They could have been honest with me and told me that from the get go. I was slightly offended. Now, thinking about it, unless your room is smack down in the middle of the building you will be looking directly at construction sites as there are two areas where they are currently building and they are on both ends of the resort. So actually the golf course view with the mountains was better in this instance for me and a plus is that it didn’t really get hot in our balcony so the kids were able to play in the dipping tub (which can use a little TLC—needs fresh grout) right outside of the room. We were asked to attend a presentation and we agreed, figured what do we have to loose… they were ok. George the first sales person to talk to us was not too pushy, the 2nd guy was a little… then there was 2 other ladies after that… but we were determined to say no! We got our free breakfast, 10% discount, $60 Resort Credit and a Beach Bag Package. It was ok but probably won’t do it again for a long time. Anyway, they bragged about having an exchange power of 3 and really almost belittled our other timeshares but really, there are quite a few things that they really need improvement on. They offered only 2 other bathrooms (1 by the pool and the other was a SHORT HIKE from the main entrance) in that big resort other than the one in your room, that was very inconvenient. It was clean though, I will give them that. The check in was pretty good, they said 5pm but they allowed us to check in early… that is a plus for them. The room had that musty smell that everyone is talking about but honestly, I cannot remember a resort that didn’t have that smell when we first arrived. It is near the Ocean… We openend the doors for some fresh air, turned on the fan and it was gone! I don’t remember ever smelling it again. The kitchen was fairly small but functional. I have little kids and it is impractical to eat out all the time (there is a restaurant at the resort and some more at their other nearby resorts but the price is expensive, about $30-40pp) so we did a lot of cooking, the refrigerator was small, probably 60% smaller than your American size ref which also comes with an equally small freezer, about the size of 2 shoeboxes. There is an ice machine on every floor. We used the ice and didn’t really have any problems, for everything else, we used bottled water. There is a big bottle of water in the bathroom and a starter package of coffee in the room but do not use them as they are for a FEE not FREE! Nothing complementary except for shampoo, lotion, soap and the dish soap. The utensils are very limited, there is dish washing soap and sponge, drying rack, a can opener, peeler, strainer, butter knives, forks and spoons, 1 basting spoon, 1 turner, plates, small bowls, mugs, glasses, 1 plastic bowl, 1 medium pot, and 2 small pans—try frying some eggs in those things! Whoa!!! Good luck, they are NOT non-stick. They give you one dish rag and try asking for extra, they will give you just one. I also tried asking for extra utensils and pots/pans but unfortunately they could not accommodate my request… really? Luckily I brought Saran Wrap Plastic and Reynolds Foil so that helped a little bit with storing leftover foods etc as there are NO pyrex or tupperwares. And the sales people bragged about a rating of 3? Anyway, they also have a microwave, coffee maker, toaster and a blender which actually works pretty good. We had a one bedroom unit, we had a what appears to be a king sized bed, one sofa/day bed in the room and 2 other sofa/day beds in the living room. Every evening there is an attendant knocking on the doors to offer converting your day beds into beds… He was very nice and pleasant. He gave my kids candy kisses everytime! <3 They clean your rooms everyday which was nice, however, you have to make sure you clean your kitchen before you leave or you will be charged a fee. There are no washer and dryer in the rooms. Apparently there is a laundry facility in the area but it costs about $16 for a load which you would have to do on your own. There is also an option for laundry service but I'm sure it will cost a lot more... No thank you. I passed on that. I just made sure I brought enough clothes and a lot of plastic bags with me and packed the dirty clothes in them then back into our luggage instead. I thought that was very inconvenient especially having wet swimming clothes... I had to hang them overnight and they were barely dry when I packed them back in the suitcase the morning of our departure. Anyway, There is a small TV in the living room and a bigger TV in the bedroom. Very limited English channels and there is no DVD player. The Resort did not have FREE WI-FI, however, there is one for a fee, but it costs too much. I would not be using it the entire day so why would I pay? There is a cyber café which is cheaper but is inconvenient… It is located on the 1st floor of the bldg. If I use it I would have to leave my family or take them with me… I thought about it, but I didn’t go. I was on VACATION, there would have to be something mighty important for me to do before anyone can drag me in there. Again, I kept thinking... they say they have an exchange power of 3??? We also came on a BIG MEXICAN HOLIDAY, luckily we went towards the end of it. Easter Week is apparently when a lot of locals vacation so it was slightly busy. We did not encounter much of any tourists. Most of them were from the area and spoke Spanish. The staff also spoke limited English with the exception of the receptionists, bell boys and concierge, some none (i.e. the guard). It was a little hard to communicate to try to figure out how things work around the resort but we survived. The pool at The Grand Mayan was small for the amount of people that stay there, there were NO umbrellas either so it can be very hot. We chose to go to The Mayan Palace instead which was only a short shuttle ride away. There is a waterpark for the kids to enjoy, a few pools and a lazy river. I did bring 2 small SwimWays papasan for me and my husband and float rings for my kids which seemed to be ok since no one said we cannot use them—heck they are smaller than their floats! Plus if it got busy, the floats they have are very limited. There are lounge chairs with umbrellas and “balai” everything is 1st come, 1st serve. No reservations necessary although a note that tells you you must reserve the balais ahead of time is posted on there. Everytime we went there we planned to stay for the day because if you leave, you lose your spot. We ordered lunch at the small restaurant… attendants will be happy to serve you. Everyone was pleasant. The Resort operates cashless, you must charge everything to your room and pay at check out. They take Mastercard and Visa and a few others which were not familiar to me. You can also pay instead of charging to your credit card at the end when you leave but they will only take Mexican Pesos not Dollars… Unfortunately, I was told there was no money exchange on site. The beach was ok. There are umbrellas, palapas and tents with lounge chairs everywhere. Again, 1st come 1st serve, no reservations necessary. There is an area that is kinda fenced in for the resort guests only. Outside of that is the public beach. Horse Riding is available for the kids for $20 (30 mins), ATVs for the family for $20 (30 mins), NO FRILLS beach massage $20 (45mins? Maybe an hour?) –my husband and I got 4 each during our week long stay… It would have been everyday but we had “lazy days” when we didn’t even want to move… It was great though!!! All of these are public vendors however and the resort does not recommend them. There are a lot of people selling stuff, like hats, cover-ups, bracelets, they also sell services like henna tattooing and braiding for reasonable costs. Everyone was nice, if you tell them no, they move on… The area to wash out the sand however was very limited, they only have 2 and the lines can get ridiculous, now for a resort that is big and so highy rated like they say it is, they can do better than that! They have a lot of transportation and tour options available at the resort but they are more costly… I chose to arrange our transportation and activities before we even got there. Through Trip Advisor I found Mr. Baldomero “BALDO” Gomez Mojica. He drives a fully insured a/c chevy suburban which fit us comfortably. E-mail: baldo-work@hotmail.com; Phone: 744-160-16-04; Website: www.asisturacapulco.com There is a dispatcher at The Grand Mayan if you ever need to contact him without having to pay for a call. The bell boys can help as well. The concierge however didn’t seem to know. You pay only after you get your services. He takes Mexican Pesos or Dollars. Anyway, we were picked up and dropped off at the airport which was about 10-15 mins away, He welcomed us with ice cold drinks coming out of the airport then he took us grocery shopping shortly after we arrived. We also booked an Acapulco Tour with him for a day where we saw the Chapel of Peace, Downtown Acapulco and the Cliff Divers and on another day, we booked a Lagoon Tour which was the highlight of our stay. We enjoyed what we thought was The Best Acapulco meal we had there (better than the resort) after the tour! My husband loved the fish and I loved the Sopas! It was a little pricey but reasonable and well worth it for the service you are getting as it was private and the boat was safe for the kids. Senor Baldo was very attentive to our needs, very nice and professional… Totally recommend him. Overall, we had a pretty good time.

Bring a lot of change like $1, $5 $10 FOR TIPS, no one has change...
If you ever go grocery shopping, tip the bagger... apparently they only get paid tips.
ACA airport personnel were very nice, my little boy had major #2 accident, he messed his pants and shoes... the attendants helped us out or we would have smelled really bad on our way back. Their TSA staff were also equally nice unlike some of the ones back home--kudos to all of them!

P.S.
Airfare is expensive… I tried to look for good deals but try to book about 2-3 months ahead, that will be your best bet, too early is expensive and too late is also very expensive. If you have connecting flights, it is better to have atleast 2 hrs in between. There is no problems when connecting going outside the US but going back, at Houston (IAH) it was a disaster at customs… long lines x3, you have to collect your luggage and re-check them in. We planned to have lunch with our 2 hour lay over but lost that at customs… bring snacks if you have kids or be prepared to pay the over priced plane snacks and/or meals.

Room Tip: Request higher floors for the view (we were on 7th)... ocean views will have construction views at t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank KCPnai
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed at The Grand Mayan in Acapulco,MX during Easter week. I read reviews for Roberto Alarcon, who is a wonderful guide that you can hire for ANYTHING. He was wonderful!! I contacted him via email and he responded quickly as to what we wanted for our vacation. He picked us up from the airport with a stop to get groceries before we went to check into our room. He speaks fluent English and knows the entire city. We did the City Tour, which was BEAUTIFUL! I felt very safe and was happy to learn about the city and culture. We ate a wonderful lobster combination at Linda Vista with a beautiful sunset. I want to thank Roberto for being such a wonderful host in Acapulco and will recommend him to all my friends/family and those of you reading this on Tripadvisor because it is important to have a safe and fun vacation while in Mexico. Enjoy
Now, about the resort. Make sure you reserve at The Grand Mayan, not the Mayan Palace. The rooms were great. Take the shuttle from The Grand to the Mayan Palace, which is free, to enjoy the "lazy river". At The Grand Mayan you can get chairs under the umbrellas for free but try to get there before 11AM. Nighlife usually doesn't start until 9:30pm. Most eat dinner aroung 7-8pm. If you are at Mayan Palace, you take take a left out of the entrance to get something from grocery or Starbucks-- which is about a 20 min walk. Go before 10AM when it gets hot.

Room Tip: Make sure you get one closer to the top. The view wasn't bad of the city, which is what we had...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear TravelLover570 :

Thank you for providing your comments about your vacation at The Grand Mayan. We are so glad you had a good time with you family enjoying our accommodations and facilities.

Comments like yours inspire us to continue creating ideal vacation experiences.

We truly look forward to serving you again in the near future!