“Running out space! This place is AMAZING!”

The Grand Mayan Acapulco
Ranked #2 of 167 Hotels in Acapulco
“Running out space! This place is AMAZING!”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Ok there isnt enough space here for me to write about all of the wonders of the Grand Mayan Palace. The rooms were huge and fully equipped even with a dipping pool on the balacony. The staff know count on me service and display it every time they greet you. We had the first class experience here... The pool and location is amazing.. We had a waiter Carlos who attended to our every need. The beach was on the door step.. There are enough pools to cater to everyones taste whether its kiddies activities or peace and quiet. The food is also amazing and whether its a quick bite or all included buffet!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sdorney
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Acapulco, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Sdorney :

We really appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your detailed impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan. We are delighted to learn your trip was fun and you enjoyed our food options, our facilities, the accommodations, the pools and our staff’s service. Everyone works tirelessly - day and night, to make our guests’ visits the most comfortable experience ever.

Comments like yours inspire us to continue creating ideal vacation experiences.

The Grand Mayan Acapulco Management.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This hotel was great! The best part of our trip was booking our own personal driver, Roberto Alarcon. He has got to be the absolute best driver and most personable guy I have ever met. Speaks good English and knows all the best places to take you for dinner tours and all of your Acapulco wants and needs. Check him out!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cody S
Dear Cody S :
We are glad you have decided to post a review as it helpful to further enrich our performance and give other travelers a better idea of what to expect. We are also happy that you found our property to be beautiful.

Your comments are always welcomed. We always like to hear about our guests’ experiences since it is the only way to truly know we are doing a great job to making your stay enjoyable.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Me and my family stayed this last week in room 3523, as soon as we arrived we lock our money in the safe, the room attendant MAR GARITA came ito the room, and robed us almost $600, we reported the incident to the front desk, they laughed about it and didn't do any thing to research!. What kind of hotel does that?. WHAT A DISSAPOINTMENT! , paying so much money to go on vacation, and need to deal with a bunch of thieves!. We will never go back to this 0 star "hotel'.

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel
10 Thank alechef2009
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We have stayed at the Geand Mayan for the past 5 years. Our recent stay was one week in August 2014. Our first two nights we had turn down service, but no more the rest of the week. Our blow dryer broke from day one and we had to call housekeeping two days in a row to get it fixed.our daughter played a video game for 30 pesos and the game had all white pixels, not viewable. I told the attendant it was not working and to put an out of order sign. I was told repeatedly we already played the game and can't get a refund... Can't understand that one. We went to to Mondo room to eat some drapes for a dinner dessert. We waited 15 minutes, in a near empty dining room waiting to be seated. I had to walk behind the service bar before someone noticed me and told me to sit anywhere and gave no menus. Construction everywhere and the jack hammering is deafening all day. Service has gone down. None seems to care of their reputation. I recommend you find a different place to stay until they finish the construction and work on customer service. This use to be a favorite place for us now it's just a memory of what it use to be.

Room Tip: Construction going on throughout,loud jack hammering. There is no good room or location to escape t...
2 Thank A A
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Acapulco, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear A A :
Thank you so much for choosing The Grand Mayan for your vacation and for sharing your review with us.

We are disappointed that we were unable to meet your expectations to the fullest. Your feedback will be shared with all the appropriate areas in order to continue working towards exceeding all our guests’ expectations.

Your comments are always appreciated.

Warm regards,

Escazu, Costa Rica
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Over the years, ever since my parents fell with a pesky saleswoman in Puerto Vallarta, I've experienced in Acapulco the original Mayan Palace (now demolished), The Grand Mayan (twice) and this time, the Sea Garden.

The idea of course is that The Grand Mayan is a timeshare of the highest end. Impecable fine linens, impecable kitchen and furniture, impecable toilet and toiletries and even a mini swimming pool in the balcony. The Sea Garden is the Courtyardsy version, simpler (and showing age), but decent enough as it has its own beach club with a bar and two pools.

Two caveats for the Sea Garden: you have to cross the street to go from the hotel lobby to the beach club, with little signal or instructions. And the other is that the old Mayan Palace furnishings are being recycled at the Sea Garden (old = 2001 furniture).

As per the food, it's above expectations as always. We usually splurge a bit on the buffet at the Grand Mayan, and we can't say anything but praise about the food quality and taste.

This hotel chain (Grupo Vidanta) surely has one of the most aggressive sales programs and pricing models I have ever seen in a hotel (wait until I go to Disney World in October to check out a competitor). You have to walk carefully, because you may end up feeling that there is always a scam round the corner.

Other than the compulsory sales tour, some classic examples: The pricing model of the wi-fi per device, the price of the in-room bottled water, the fact that you have to pay almost $30 to reserve a poolside canopy in the new Mayan, and the worst: any breakfast buffet that charges over $20 and that does not offer complimentary mimosas is a crime against mankind.

You end up thinking of some Les Mis song about Monsieur Thenardier and his pricing model: 'Two percent for looking in the mirror twice. Here a little slice, there a little cut. Three percent for sleeping with the window shut'

Other than that, the hotel is a classic escape in the mexican south pacific, and if you can get a good grip on your wallet you'll end up having a blast.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank dyhtstriyk
Dear dyhtstriyk :
We truly appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan. We are also pleased to learn you liked our food options.

Rest assured that your comments will be taken into consideration in order to provide you everything that you need to make the most of your vacation. Our primary goal is to ensure you are able to relax during your much deserved vacation. We would like to point out as well that our prices are competitive compared to other resorts.

We are grateful for your feedback and hope you allow us to host your vacations again.

Warm regards,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was looking to take my family for an exception experience & choose the grand mayan deluxe accommodation. Although the facilities were good there were many disappointments. Firstly the Hotel was under major reconstruction. Excavators, bobcats, jack hammers with exclusive view of all the contruction. Noise everywhere. We were never advised that the hotel was under construction, as we would have chosen another hotel. Query with Management who responses were basically "we are sorry abut that".
I still had some business matters to take care of & so called to ensure that rooms had data connectivity/WIFI in rooms. I had taken some own secure routers/modem only to find out that the hotels had deliberantly BLOCKED OUT any data connectivity in favour of their own room Wi Fi. The secure password was your surname & room number. The same details which is signed on very food voucher spent at the hotel & as such available to all employee & guest. The WiFi was very slow & insecure & eventually used the internet cafe that offered better security & faster speeds.

We tried to mix the pool/beach with some other activities however the Hotel & resident travel section Had NO brochures, maps or information. Bascially was no one available for any advice, had the distinct impression the Hotel did not want guest leaving the premises what so ever. With access toi internet BLOCKED OUT throughout the hotel, it was difficulty to organise some side trips for the family.

Besides these major issues, the facilities were good although the beach had a strange brown colour.(instead of the normall acqua blue) I asked a few employee why, all gave a different answer. Overall my family enoyed themselves but was expecting better when paying top money for a deluxe hotel.

Room Tip: Wait until contructions are completed before booking.
2 Thank fwf59
Dear fwf59:

We truly appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan. We are really happy you enjoyed the facilities.

All the same, we are disappointed that we were unable to meet your expectations to the fullest. Comments like yours enable our continued pursuit of improvement for perfection on our daily performance. We will gladly follow-up with the appropriate areas, as we aim to ensure that our facilities are in the best condition possible for our guests to enjoy.

Your comments and suggestions are always welcomed. It will be our honor to welcome you once again.

Best regards,

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My family (husband, mother and daughter) and me stayed a week at Grand Mayan Acapulco July 7-14). We are members of Grand Mayan and I requested an ocean view room. there were no ocean room available and since I had made my previous research I requested a corner room which was granted. I really enjoyed the room and I think is better than an ocean room because you have a beautiful view of the city and the mountains, as well as a little bit of the ocean view. The resort is very nice and clean, although with the construction going on in front of the Grand Mayan there was some interruption of the beach view. I imagine it will be very beautiful when the pool construction is finished. the rooms are large and the outside pool is a good treat for the hot afternoons. the restaurants were very good and the quality of food excellent. The main restaurant at the same building of the Grand Mayan is one of the best I have been in Mexico. do no expect fast food prices, but considering Puerto Rican restaurant prices in the same category, their prices were reasonable. the service was very professional and very friendly. this is my second visit to Grand Mayan resorts. last year we were at Cancun and I really prefer Cancun's over Acapulco's, both the location and attractions as well as the resort. but overall is a very nice resort and Acapulco exceeded our expectations. I am glad that we did not follow the recommendations of many people that tried to discourage us from traveling to Acapulco because allegedly was rundown and very dangerous. do not believe that. Acapulco is very clean, beautiful and safe. of course, our stay was made more easy and comfortable thanks to our guide, chauffeur and new friend Baldo Gomez, who I contacted previously though internet thanks to previous guests reviews. he is a very responsible, professional and gentle person who satisfied our needs and help us in our visits in Acapulco. he picked us up at the airport and also took us there on the day of our departure. Although we speak Spanish as our native language, Baldo is very fluent in English and he is always on time and not pushy. We recommend his services to anyone that want to visit Acapulco with no worries about safety or anyone taking advantage of you. You can reach him at Baldo-work@hotmail.com .
One last thing. last year my husband got an asthma attack in Cancun and the doctor at Grand Mayan was available at 10 pm in the evening. he provided very good service. this year my mother got sick with "the Montezuma. Revenge" and also was provided good scare by the doctor at the Gran Mayan in Acapulco. It is very satisfying to have a doctor available 24 hours at the. Mayan Facilities. I look forward to go to the Grand Mayan at Nuevo Vallarta next year.

On the negative side. I concur with the comments that the beds at Grand Mayan are too hard. it was bad for my back. I recommend that they change the mattresses for the comfort of the customers. Also it will be a good practice if there was some night entertainment. There is nothing lively to do in the evenings with the exception of some action at the bar. But I cabe been in many resorts that provide free evening entertainment. none of that at Grand Mayan.

thanks that Read A lot of reviews before going tho Acapulco, I refused to attend the allegedly update to members in the mornings. I am not interested in hearing about upgrading my membership and my experiences with their sales people at Grand Mayan is that they are very pushy to keep up selling you more and they keep insisting until you are cornered. Their sale representative are not transparent with what they offer you and you get a lot of surprises when you read their contracts afterwards. be careful and read every single small letter. I am satisfied with my membership and I'm not interested in doing any upgrade neither to spent at least 6 hours in their update presentations.

I will keep going to the Grand. Mayan because we are already members, but in general, their facilities are great. They could also improve the furniture. I visited the facilities at other resorts and their room furnitures are more updated and more Mexican style.

Room Tip: I enjoyed a corner room because you share the view of the mountains and the city and a peek of he oc...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Alicia C
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Acapulco, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Alicia C :

We really appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan. We are delighted to learn you have been faithful owners of our brands and you continue to enjoy our tropical paradise. We are happy as well that you liked the pools, our food options and our staff’s service. Everyone works tirelessly - day and night, to make our guests’ visits the most comfortable experience ever.