“Great sunny weather”

Barcelo Huatulco
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Just got back from vacationing there with my husband. The weather was FABULOUS!! We booked through Apple vacations, first time with them. It was a good experience. We did have a separate check-in and they hosted a beach dinner, they did a great job on that AWESOME FOOD!! It ranked right up there with the other restaurant's we visited outside the resort. I do have to recommend going to the steak and seafood restaurant right across the street from the Barceló. I cant remember the name of the place it started with "Don...." It was fabulous!!

As for the resort itself, don't go in with high expectations, because you will be very disappointed. You go for the sun and sand, and that is what you get! Very safe place to visit.

Only faults were, the adult pool was attached to the kids pool.(they only have one big pool) So there was no separation. They do need more shade down by the beach.
I never thought that Captain Morgan and Absolute Vodka would be a 'premium' drink, but they were. But they did have Bacardi....mmmmmm.
We would defiantly
go back to this resort. We wanted small and that is what we got. Didn't need to take a 'train' to get to the beach like you do for a lot of the newer resorts. We meet a lot of people that have stayed their multiple times so that is always good to hear.
We went on the bay tour, which was great-booked with Apple vacations. snorkeling was great. the tour guides brought up sea life for you to touch and hold. Like sea 'cucumbers' and blow fish. stopped at the beach for lunch. Had to pay for that, but the food was pretty darn good. On the way back saw sting rays, and humpback whales. The captain brought us right up to them.
That alone was worth the trip. So if you want small, quiet, safe and family friendly. I would highly recommend this place. Just remember, don't go in with high expectations...We also meet a lot of people from our neck of the woods which was great to DRINK and eat with them as well.
The Foreston couple

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank becky s

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Feb 4-11,2014 We enjoyed our stay at Barceló. Rooms have all you need. I suggest bringing a night light for bathroom. Mini bar was stocked daily-" Adaberto " brought what we requested. Resort is quiet most of the time. Liked the private balcony with mini clothes line. Elevators work well . Resort small enough for easy access to everything. Wish the wifi was free -cost $45. pre week .Lots of shade provided around the pool. Not enough lounge chairs -seemed that everyone put the towels out early AM + left them whether they used the chair or not. Meals were Ok ,ice cream was popular ,red candy apples served one night was a treat.
The Sunwing Reps were the best I have encountered .Someone was there all day ,everyday .They took care of us every well. Anyone going to the Barcelo-bring newspapers from Canada to James (old or new ones). JT Is AWESOME .He works with the Sunwing reps ,books tours + looks after our needs .His remedy for diarrhea works ,(Thank YOU ).Sunwing collects anything you wish to leave behind and gives to the rural people.
There are several tours to choose from ,we did the rafting tour-" Alphonzo " is great and has so much knowledge to share.
"George of the Jungle "is a fair silver seller on the beach, he proudly wears a Sk. Rough rider cap.
I suggest taking a snack with you -the inflight food on Sunwing was the worst I have ever had .

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peg M
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Just got back from a 1 week all inclusive. I did my research and this place got rave reviews. I must admit I just glossed over the part about the rooms being older. When I first arrived the place was very nice. The resort isn't gigantic so there was a perfect tropical feel to it, something the Dreams resort next door lacked. The decor was great and the layout of the resort was perfect.
The paint on the floors of the rooms are flaking in some places and the grout needs to be redone in other places. Little things like the cushions on benches have small holes in them. But after you spend a day or two at this place, the food, the service, drinks and ammenities more than make up for those small things. It really is a wonderful place thanks to the efforts of the staff. And that's why I'm drawing the conclusion that this is a 5 star Mexican resort. Because rich Mexicans can overlook the small things.
Just so you're not expecting too much, the staff don't treat you like you like you're a Disneyland contest winner, you do have to ask if you need help, but once you ask, they do their best to accommodate you. I'm never impressed with the service in developing countries so when the staff here actually kept trying to get me what I needed and then actually got it, well, I was impressed because that's not how things normally work in these countries.
A few things I'd like to mention are, there was 4 mosquitos in my room. That's 3 mosquitos in 7 days and I was on the second floor. So I believe the people who say that the rooms higher up should have no mosquitos.
Most rooms have 2 double beds and the resort was fully booked when I was there. The staff put the two beds together and secured them with some sort of mattress binding thing so there was no gap. It was great to have a super super king sized bed. I felt like a kid again with all that room.
The mini bar is stocked with coke and nuts and juice and water and it's all free! I don't eat nuts and I don't drink coke so I tipped the mini bar guy (yes, there's a separate guy to stock the mini bar) and he supplied me with juice and lays chips (they're meant for the premium rooms).
The drinks are good. You can have them make smoothies out of bananas. I didnt' ask for other fruits but I'm sure they can use whatever is at the buffet. Use the bar inside the tortuga when ordering drinks.
There are big blue crabs on the rocks at the end of the beach 2 resorts (1/2 km done). Quite spectacular to see. The water has an almost immediately drop off which causes a weak undertow. The red flag was flying the entire time we were there. You can swim in the ocean but you have to tread water and battle small waves and the small undertow so most of your time is in the heated adult pool/swim up bar.
The town is sleepy and overpriced. It's good for a visit but not much else. I didnt' do the excursions but your best bet is to get a group of 10 people together and pay $200 to get a private boat to do the bays tours. That beats paying $55 per person.
Book your spot at the a la carte restaurants in the late morning/afternoon. There's a line up first thing in the morning that dies out by 11am or so. If there's something you don't see at the buffet that you saw before just ask the staff for it. They'll bring it for you i.e. chocolate milk, regular milk etc. We have a small child and we went there everything night for a litre of milk. When Barcelo says all inclusive they really mean all inclusive!
Put your beach towel on a lounge chair in the morning along with another personal artifact. That way when you're done with breakfast and changed for swimming you'll have a seat available. If you need any more tips just mail me.
They have amazing tennis courts (I could play all week) and a lame but fun for an hour or two mini golf course and a kick butt gym.
Oh and by the way, this place is OCD clean. I keep looking at the grooves between the tiles in the bathroom and could never find any dirt. Not even a grain of sand and I dumped a bunch of sand in the washroom each day. Remember to drop your towels on the floor each day so you'll get new ones and dont' have to wait for the old ones to dry.

Room Tip: If the ocean is south, choose the West building, closest to the water on the side facing the pool. T...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank bill w
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Seven people, two weeks of the nicest weather any one could ask for. Hotel was great, the staff are very good and very friendly. Great food selection most of the time, I gained some lbs so there is always good food. The beach and pool were terrific,we took a cruiser ride with Chilly Willy up the coast and went snorkeling,visited a Mexican beach and had a great site seeing tour. Jan 28 to Feb 11 was like heaven in Mexico.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We were in this resort from Jan 28 - Feb 11/14, thought it would be good as we had been at Barceló resorts before, not this one, #1 when we checked in were giving a key to someone elses room, good thing they were not in it, #2 Lobby bar was not open until 5pm and then bartender (everyone called him grumpy) could not make a drink if his life depended on it, my husband asked for a rum and coke and got some kind of banana drink with coke in it -- 3 times, finally the waitress went behind the bar and made it herself, #3 not enough beach chairs for everyone in resort, we were told they did not have anymore!! friends we were with had to go at 6 in the morning to get any kind of chair, #4 were supposed to get 4 al a carte per week, the first week did not get any, except for 9:00 sitting were told they were only open 3 days a week!! The only good thing at this resort was the beach, weather and Robert in the Disco he could make a margarita that was amazing!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Cheryl S
Barcelo Huatulc... B, Public Relations Manager at Barcelo Huatulco, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear Cheryl

We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration both positive and negative opinions, as our goal is triyng to satisfie all our guests.

First of all we apologize for the confusion by giving you different keys, we will make sure this won't hapen again with any of our guests. About our bars we are working on the standardization of all drinks so you can enjoy them equally in all our bars. We are taking care about the barman called Mr. Grumpy by our guests; we also offer to our staff English courses so we can improve the service.

It is not allowed to save the beach chairs longer than an hour without using them, our security staff is supervising this. And the a la carte restaurants are program to open diferent day during the week, trying to give the opportunity to all our guests to enjoy these restaurants.

We kindly ask to have another opportunity to change your experience wtih us.

Best Regards

Reviewed 13 February 2014

My family and I just spent a week here Feb. 4 – 11th from Toronto. 2 couples and 2 children (both 7). First of all I would recommend upgrading to platinum suits, we did so upon arrival. I will confess I am picky with my resorts, I usually stay at RIU Palaces because I feel like I know what I’m getting every time. However my family members wanted to try Barceló this time and for the price (we got a great deal) I wasn’t expecting much. However I was very pleasantly surprised. Our room was spacious and very very clean. The kids pool was amazing and it was nice how the adults pool was for 18+. I will say i find it was the staff who truly make the hotel, they are amazing!!!!!!!!! we did have a little hiccup with the water in our room and reservations at the a la carte restaurants. When I brought this up to the guest service manager Javier he fixed everything in a matter of 20 minutes (i later found out he was off at that time and stayed an extra hour to get my problems sorted out) he was extremely pleasant and friendly about the whole situation, furthermore he continuously checked on my family throughout the rest of our trip. Amazing customer service on his part! The staff at club premium were also excellent!!! Always so friendly and ready to help, especially Karen and Alejandra M…. You must get a drink from the bartender Jose, aka Luis, ask for his special ☺ . The only real downside to this resort is the buffet, typical same thing every day and I didn’t find the quality so good, but since that was the only real thing I could complain about… take it from this very picky lady, if you want a nice clean hotel with the BEST staff (and I have been to about 14 all inclusive) this is the place to go!!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to platinum - 6th floor great views!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Ashley T
Reviewed 13 February 2014

A very nice smaller resort. The staff was fantastic, the resort was very clean, the food was great! We will def. go back again. I went with my sister and a friend and we all had a great time! Great tour to the waterfalls, be sure to have water shoes.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor! There was absolutely nothing wrong with the room location.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends