“It's a do over vacation spot”
Review of Barcelo Huatulco

Barcelo Huatulco
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersGold level
Surrey, Canada
“It's a do over vacation spot”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Barcelo is located in quiet area of Huatuclo and has an awesome beach. The ocean is beautiful to swim in. The resort is a nice size. Pools are warm and children have own pool play area. Staff are friendly and front desk attends to all requests right away including concerns. Entertainment is resort type night entertainment but it's cute like most Mexican resorts.

Food ok. Lots of fresh fruit and salad choices. Al a carte were ok. The Spanish restaurant had excellent service. The sushi bar kinda slow. Did not care for seafood restaurant. The steak was not my favorite. Prawns were not bad. It was a nice change from buffet.
Mojitos are good!
Would recommend but personally I will try another resort too

Went on Emerald Falls excursion. Loved it! Great day and good tour. Sun wings I believe.

Room Tip: 3rd floor above disco. Not bad but resort was quiet probably loud in busy times
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kay B
Barcelo Huatulc... B, Public Relations Manager at Barcelo Huatulco, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Kay B:

Thank you very much for your visit to Barceló Huatulco Beach, we're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your vacation and the time that you spent with us. We appreciate your good comments about our services and performances, this encourages us to continue working hard every day to offer more attractive options and higher quality for our customers.

We are waiting for your next visit, it will be a pleasure to see you back in this your home.

Receive a warm greeting from Huatulco Bays

Barceló Huatulco Beach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
  • Korean first
canada
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My family, 2 adults, 1 daughter of 9 years and son of 4 years just returned from 8 days at the Barcelo Huatulco. It is a very clean adn well maintained resort. But it is not the resort that make it, but the people who waork themselves to the bone who make the place. One fellow in particular never leavswe, Edgar! He is there for about 16 hours a day running all the entertainment from the morning stretch through to the evening show. The man has unlimited energy and smiles. Get to know him, or Ismael, another syuper energy fun and all round nice guy. There are so many poepl there who work so hard to ensure you have a great stay.
the property is well maintain, we were on the ground floor with a wonderful view of the pool. We did not have a any bug problems, the room was very clean and well kept. We did tip the maid, but I don't blieve she did more because of that. The gardens are beautiful, with mango trees, and hibiscus flowers all over. Trees carved like animals.

The restaruants are very well stocked with food. Breakfast tended to be the same every morning, so you simple choose something new to try each day, Like the quesadia in mole negra, or all the wonderful fresh fruit. We ate twice in the Agave a la carte and twice in the Tortuga. Both are excellent I love their Ceviche mixto.

Waiting service was always there for us and bent over backwards to get us what we wanted. We DID NOT BUY THE PREMIUM PACKAGE, NO NEED. What we got was wonderful.

One thing I did not like was the beds are really really hard, and I found them very hard to sleep on. But that is my probelm. My family did agree that a schedule of all the events each day would be wonderful. Last year at Dreams, we would recieve a schedule showing all the events including the kids club. We loved it as we could plan our days. This year the Schedule was always the same and in the lobby. The aqua aerobics or the Stretches (with Ismael) were not shown, and I had to ask when I saw uit happeneing to learn of the times and places. A schedule would work wonders.

The beach is to die for, even when their are waves 6 feet tall. it is fine golden ssand and does not get hot enough to burn ones feet. The vendors on the beach are not agressiveand they tended to be polite, asking once and then not bothering you again. Some seem to make a game out it, by recoginizing you each day and smiling with a big Hola!

Because of the heat 35C feels like 45C, there are not any horse back opportunites in Huatulco, so we did a 30 minute jet ski ride that was a huge hit . We sped around the beautiful bay on a 700cc watercycle, with my kids shrieking with joy loud enough to drown out the engine sounds. It was a 30 minute rental that was far longer than 30 minutes, and they did not mind.

The resort is well equiped and will keep you very busy. The kids slides and palm tree that showesr water is great, plus the shallow pool works well for all ages. The pools are very nice and again very well maintained. No complaints. The waiting staff at pool side work very hard to clean and also bring drinks. It is a large amount of work, but they do a great job.

WE did have a bit of an issue with one tour we signed up for, the Turtles and Crocs. The tour is great, Sergio and Oscar were really great tour guides. Our issue was that we paid $150.00 CAD, and even at that price the entrey fees were not paid. But we were not told this. When I brough this to James (sunwing rep) attention, he said that it was a good point as I guess not everyone reads things thoroughly. I said I thought I had read the tour description thoroughly but that telling patrons is just good service, as better to hear it twice then not at all (such as 3 of the 6 families on our tour). I was less than impressed with his response.

If you are reading this and Canadian, you dod not need to change your money ahead, this resort does a greta job of exchanging. The take CAD at par with USD (no you read that right). and the sdtraneg things is, if you exchange CAD at the front desk, they just do it, if you exchange USD, you must produce government issue photo id. Strange or what?

The rate we recieved was 12 pesos to the dollar CAD. pretty good rate, better than I got at home in my bank.

We did a snoerkel trip the La Entrega Playa, we took a taxi there at a cost of 50 pesos. No limit to people, thus we had 7 people in the car including the driver. It is a great snorkleing place, where you are assigned to a table under a palapa, in the shade. Full snorkel gear (even life jacket) 50 pesos for the day. We did not fear loosing anything while we swam, as there were many locals around looking out for each other. Another family did a snorkeling tour from the hotel, 7 hours, but was 6 hours fo crusing with 50 minutes of snorkel. Later after we spoke to them, they did La Entrega as we did and loved it, regretting the other snorkel trip.
Get the taxi drive to take you all around the towns of Santa Cruz and Cruciceta to the nice view spots, you will nto be disappointed.

Huatulco is a very nice quite area, where there are few resorts and not alot of people. The bays and beachs are beautiful. It is very hot there, with a cool 27C at night. We highly recommend going here and the Barcelo is a greta place to stay.

Room Tip: The rooms are very sound proof, the only noise you hear comes from the hallways. The air conditionin...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank tiredthree
Barcelo Huatulc... B, Public Relations Manager at Barcelo Huatulco, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Tiredtrhee

We thank you so much that you have chosen Barceló Huatulco Beach for your vacations, and for sharing with us your review. Your comments are very helpful for us and for the future visitors.

It is rewarding to read that you enjoyed the service, restaurants, activities and the friendly team we have with the purpose to make your holidays a wonderful experience, regarding the schedules of the activities, we have considered two activities program boards, where all the week activities will be posted, we hope to have them soon and also you can request for this schedule program at the front desk or with our guest service.

You are right when you describe how amazing destination is Huatulco, we are looking forward to have you once again with us on your next visit.

Ill
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We were here for a vacation the first part of Dec. and hadn't been to Barceló in 6yrs. and boy had some things changed!! I will say that most of the people that work there was still so very nice and did their job very well. Some of the workers that we had made friends with still remembered us after 6 yrs. and was so great to see them again. Now I have to say that going back to Barceló wasn't as great as I thought it would be, we had a nice room except the bathroom had some problems and sure need updated. We also missed being able to talk to other quest since most of the people staying there where from Mexico and I know this is their country and they want a vacation too, this was so different than the last time we were there and at that time there were more Canadians and Americans so you had lots of people to talk too. Also there were lots of kids there so not the peaceful vacation we had the last time we vacation there. We really love Huatulco but if we go back will we stay at Barceló really not sure.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Barcelo Huatulc... B, Front Office Manager at Barcelo Huatulco, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Sunnymybuns

We appreciate the time you have taken to share your comments with us through Trip Advisor, they are very important for us because thanks to them we can improve our service. It is a pleasure to read that you felt back home due to our staff. Indeed the hotel starts showing its age but we are currently working on it and we have schedule a renovation program for the rooms starting this June.

We hope you can visit us again on your next vacations and enjoy this renovation.

Kind Regards,

Langley City, Canada
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The wife and I stayed at the Barcelo in Huatulco for the last week of April 2014. We have nothing bad or negative to report. The food at the 2 buffet resturaunts were well above average with plenty to choose from and the 4 a la cartes had plenty of options on the menus. The staff were courteous and friendly and the hotel grounds were kept extremely clean. There are vendors on the beach but by saying no only once keeps them away. There are no time share salemen to be found anywhere. All in all we had a great time and are planning on returning in Novemeber.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kameraman59
Barcelo Huatulc... B, Public Relations Manager at Barcelo Huatulco, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Kameraman:

Thank you very much for your good comments, it is very motivating for our team to know that their work has been done properly and has been accomplished the mission to satisfy your expectations, we would like to thank the time you have invested in writing your review, be certain that they will be very useful for us and for future travelers to this destination.

We hope to see you back soon.

Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I'm going to keep this helpful, and try to keep my personal feelings out of it. Travel from Apr. 29- May 6.
Arrival... Check in was aweful. They didn't have a computer system for our large group (and many others). It was stressful and irritating. I didn't not get my choice of room (3rd floor or higher) and bc of the lack of technology at our check in it wasn't worth complaining. I asked a couple questions and confused the girl so bad I just left it alone. My sister booked two adjoining rooms and did not get them (she has 4 kids and 2 adults). She did just exchange rooms between our family members, but this would have been more difficult had we not been with a large group. After a gruelling check in, the door men were fabulous and whisked our luggage up to our room in no time at all! BEACHES were disappointing the first 2 days. The waves were so high they took out adults. However, after speaking with other resort people, they told me the waves were unusually high and that the beaches are in fact lovely. After the 3 rd day, they were right. My 11 year old had the time of her life, my small 8 year old and 5 year old were slightly more intimidated. They just stayed on the shoreline. I LOVED IT! I could live in the ocean! POOLS.... I didn't spend more than 5 minutes in the adult pool. It was warm. Like bath water, not sure if that's normal, but I swam with my kids in the kids pool and it was refreshing. My kids loved the water slides! a+++++! It was nice to be able to let them just play so I could relax. BARS... Great! Fast friendly service. There were times things were slower, but I mean it's a lot of people, and we probably needed the break! Lobby Bar... Amazing! Lou (what he told me His name was) was friendly, remembered me (by my drink lol) and was efficient especially with my kids! If you have kids... Try a pink panther :). LOCATION I liked the coffee shop across the street. A 2 minute walk from the lobby. Great drinks and free Wifi. We went into the towns 3 times. We found the cab rides quick, cheap and friendly. I felt safe the whole time. I like that I didn't have to barter! CLEANLINESS I am amazed at how quick and efficient they are! ROOMS... I was in 216. I would recommend NOT being in this area if you are a light sleeper. A couple nights I could hear the music from the bar and it kept me awake for a bit. Now it wasn't really loud, but if your a light sleeper, it may irritate you. I did have a leak in my bathroom roof, one call to front desk had it fixed within the hour! FOOD... No complaints here. There was always something to eat! My kids too! And they even have KETCHUP! I ate at the Mexican restaurant. Amazing... I just ordered too much, next time I will eat less :) I had a fabulous time, I liked the small resort bc I could find anyone from my group fairly easily. EXCURSIONS we only did the bay tour. It was great. The beach they took us to was so amazing I wanted to stay all day! The people who went snorkelling had a blast. The waves got a bit too rough so we we're taken to the second drop off and picked up by bus. The only tip I can give for
That place is it's 5 pesos to use the bathroom! So take some change. I would highly recommend having pesos for your trip. Except for excursions. That's USD! I would recommend this place and hotel to any new traveller! It was great! And you feel safe!

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Keirma
Dear Keirma:

I regret very much the confusion of the rooms at your check in and that your requests have not been met according to your requirements, sometimes the occupation or the lack of previous notes in the reserve does not allow us to comply with them.

Unfortunately the high tide affected us during 3 days in some parts of the hotel and it obviously limited the traffic of guests in the areas of beach or that we could allow the access to the sea, we actually do this as a safety precaution, looking first and foremost for our guests to feel safe and protected.

We appreciate the good comments about our staff, which we will share with them with a greeting on your part, it is very important that our guests feel comfortable and secure, we look forward to once again welcome you and serve you as you deserve next year.

Ciudad Guzman, Mexico
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Our group of 6 traveled from Edmonton to Huatulco on Sunwing Apr 22 - 29 with no difficulties.As requested, our rooms were grouped together near a quiet area. The Barcelo staff was very friendly and professional. I was very impressed with the cleanliness and upkeep of every inch of the resort.
There were several days of high surf during our stay resulting in sand washing over the sea wall. The resort staff worked tirelessly to remove all of the sand, a far heavier job than shoveling snow.
Although the resort was fully booked during our stay since it was a Mexican school holiday we did not experience any overcrowding or shortage of food or drink.
There is plenty of shady areas for those of us with sun sensitive skin. The sea breeze is best enjoyed under the palapas close to the beach wall.
The only drawback I found with the Barcelo is that for me its too far away from Santa Cruz, La Entrega and La Crucecita. I like to get out and explore so it gets expensive taking taxis. This resort is well suited to those who prefer to stay on the resort property.
I will stay closer to Santa Cruz on my next trip to Huatulco.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jultime61
Barcelo Huatulc... B, Public Relations Manager at Barcelo Huatulco, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Jultime:

Thank you very much for your comments, Huatulco is undoubtedly an exceptional place for spent a holiday like no other, thank you for your understanding during the contingency we had during the days of high tide in which as well you mentioned our staff worked very hard every day so that our guests would have the areas available most of the time, fortunately this is not common and this year not only to affected Huatulco but most of the Mexican Pacific.

Regarding the distance from La Crucecita, actually we are just 7 minutes from this place; we will see the possibility of talking with taxi drivers and trying to install a shuttle that could be slightly more economical service.

Greetings from all the staff of Barceló Huatulco Beach
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Traveled from April 22-29 2014.
Great Quiet Resort, with decent food and drinks.
Great Customer Service and Staff. Everyone was very helpful and friendly.
Beach was great, but had to be closed half way through our trip due to a high tide, which was a sight to see itself. Maybe avoid going at this time as it is super humid and the temps reach the high 30's. Also alot of locals stay there during their "holy week". Other than that, it is all Canadians. No flights from the USA go to Huatulco, so there's a Big Plus.
Stayed in the Superior room with a great view of the pool. No need to Upgrade as there's not much extra you would get, unless your too fancy for your own good and only want to drink High End Alcohol. Mini fridge in the room was stocked daily with 2 Corona, 2 Coke's, 1 Diet Coke, 2 Bottles of water and 2 bags of nuts. We just gave the mini fridge guy a couple of Peso's and he made sure he just stocked us with water and beer, as pop won't do you any good, unless you like being dehydrated.
Front Desk and Concierge are great. They will exchange CDN and USD for Peso's at the same rate, so don't worry about bring USD because you will just be losing money.
The Beach vendors are very friendly, but only take Peso's and some take USD, not much take CDN.
Evening Entertainment was amazing. They had a show every night, with the great performers. A different theme every night for the shows.
I traveled with Signature/Sunwing, James, our Sunwing Rep on the resort, who is also Canadian, was awesome, and was there for anything we needed. Go to him if you want to do anything in that town. If you decide to go, bring some Canadian Newspapers for him as he will love you forever.
Overall, good vacation, will visit again!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the odd Number side are good. No need to upgrade, as you don't get much extra for the a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mchetty
Dear Mchetty:

Thank you very much for your visit to this beautiful destination and of course Barceló Huatulco Beach, we're delighted to hear that I enjoy your vacation and the time that you spent with us.

Thank you for your good comments about our services and performances, this motivates us to continue working hard everyday to offer more attractive options and higher quality for our customers.

Receive a warm greeting from Huatulco Bays