Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$243
Hotels.com
Barcelo Huatulco(Huatulco)
US$219
US$192
  • Breakfast included
Park Royal Huatulco(Huatulco)(Great Value!)
US$171
US$143
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
Xquenda Huatulco Spa(Huatulco)(Great Value!)
US$57
US$48
  • Pool
La Isla Huatulco & Beach Club(Huatulco)(Great Value!)
US$73
Quinta Bella Huatulco(Huatulco)(Great Value!)
US$90
US$79
Las Brisas Huatulco(Huatulco)(Great Value!)
US$137
Preferred Hotels
US$76
Princess Mayev Hotel(Huatulco)(Great Value!)
US$68
US$384
3,754 results
All reviewsseaside grillworld cafeel patiofishtropical viewitalian restaurantadult poollobby barpartial ocean viewkids clubwedding plannerjacuzzi on the balconya la carte restaurantsbreakfast and lunchturn down serviceocean frontla crucecita
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed at the Dreams resort from March 25-April 1st – and we loved everything about it! This was a girls’/mommy trip without kids – but because I am a mom, I can say this is a great resort for couples, girls, guys, and families. My only concern for kids is the heat – it is by far the hottest place I have ever been with temperatures at 37/38 degrees every day and not a cloud in site. Sun exposure and heat is something to consider if taking small children. Also – it’s quiet and relaxing, not a party place.

SUNWING/AIRPORT AND CHECK-IN
We flew out of Calgary and Sunwing check in staff were straight up rude and unhelpful. NOTE: you are allowed 40 lbs – not 44 lbs as indicated on its website (and also indicated on papers provided through our travel agent). Also, carry on is 10lbs. Crew on the plane were friendly.

The hotel is about 25/30 mins by bus to the Dreams resort. Don’t get distracted by the people wearing “Dreams” employee attire as you come out of the airport – go past them and seek your Sunwing (or other) representative(s) at the buses. Your transfers should be included – no extra payment required.

Check in was a breeze! They were so quick – they have this down pat. Dreams staff will escort you to the check in – grab your keys, your luggage will arrive at your door shortly after. It was seamless! With a beer or frozen lemonade served right when you step off the bus. Nice work Dreams!

Wifi – it’s everywhere, it’s FREE and it’s awesome (if you choose to stay plugged in…) Even on the beach!

Dreams Ap: They offer a free ap for iphones (maybe droids also) and you can call home for free.

BEACH:
The beach is amazing!! Absolutely the best beach in the area. Our fave spot was down the stairs to the left, near the bar on the beach. We scored a front hut and set up for the day. It’s a bit flatter than the rest of the beach here, the bar is close and so are the washrooms. There are fish to be seen all day long right at your feet. They are close to the rock area at the far left of the beach – but they wander off a bit. We also saw a ray, a box fish and a puffer fish right off the beach. The water is sooooo clear! And WARM! It’s incredible. The waves are not rough at all. Sometimes they come in a bit stronger than others – when the tide is coming in – but not at all dangerous. It was quite calm or gentle waves – felt very safe to swim in. The sand is not the soft white, Mayan sand – it’s brown sand, and a bit courser and it does get hot in the afternoons. No biggie – just make sure you have some flip flops handy – or sprint for the water! You can walk quite a ways along the beach – maybe 1km. Dreams has the nicest spot for swimming in my opinion. You can snorkel right off the beach also – near the rocks there is a lot to be seen. We also used the kayaks – easy to get, just leave your room number, grab a paddle and go! There didn’t seem to ever be a wait to use them.

There is beach bar service – it’s pretty good. But if you’re in a hurry for a drink – it’s not a big deal to go get it yourself from the bar. Wait times were minimal. The washrooms at the beach were extremely clean! There was always someone maintaining them.

TIP: it’s so hot here people – bring a LOT of waterproof sunscreen and be diligent about putting it on. Saw so many people with bad burns.

POOLS:
There were 6 pools in total. Three are right out front overlooking the beach side by side – one is adults only, then an activity pool where they hold games and exercise etc. and a family pool. These three are the busiest and are exposed to the most sun. There are some umbrellas and a covered area – but those spots get taken by the early birds. There is another family pool near the buffet restaurant – steps away from the other family pool, but it doesn’t overlook the beach. This one offers a bit more shade. There is another pool in behind the Ocean Side restaurant – I believe it is a family pool – but not a lot of shade. The last one is an adult pool on the other side near the Japanse restaurant. This one was our fave for a late day swim. It offered sun and shade and was the quietest pool with lots of deck space.

The Towel Game: oh it’s on! Get up early and get a spot that you want. We did, but we also used it all day long. We often were up at 6:00/7:00 to get the spot we liked on the beach (this is also true of the pool). We would walk the beach, go have breakfast, and come back and use that spot all day long. Some people hold spots for all hours and only use it in the afternoon – I don’t think that’s fair. Weekends seemed busier with locals. Some days were quitter when the chartered flights were leaving. You will be able to find a spot, but if you want a specific spot – then be prepared to get up early for it. Speaking of towels – it’s nice to have towels available without having to have the towel card. They have clean baskets of towels at all the pools and the beach. Great to be able to conveniently grab a clean towel when you need one.

RESTAURANTS:
We ate at the Japanse, the Italian, Oceanside and the buffets. The Japanese was very good – great atmosphere, food and service. The Italian was quite nice inside- and the food was good. Oceanside was good as well. I found that the restaurants tried to have fancy menus, fancy ambience, and presentation – but the food itself was average. Overall, I actually enjoyed the food at the buffets the best. There was a lot of selection – and it changed every day. Breakfasts were fantastic, lots of little baked breads, eggs, sausage, bacon, fruit and so much more. Coffee was delicious. They also have a coffee station outside of the buffet – you can grab a cup to go if you like. The morning mimosas were a treat! Couldn’t get enough of the salsa and guacamole at lunch. I also enjoyed the grilled fish at lunch and dinner – love the fresh fish. There were lots of meat dishes available and vegetables. There is also a “kid” buffet table with hot dogs, hamburgers, fries etc. There were lots of little desserts at the buffet and ice cream as well. There really is something for everyone. You won’t go hungry. Overall, I have had better food at other resorts, but the food was good. I wouldn’t complain about it.

It was also nice not to have to make reservations at the restaurants.

There is also a café off of the lobby that offers cappuccinos, lattes, and delicious iced coffee.

Drinks: Top shelf alcohol available – just ask for it. My fave drink was the lobby frozen lemonade with vodka – super delicious – not too sweet. Also enjoyed the pina coladas.

ROOMS:
Rooms were modern for Mexico! Very clean – and no problems with hot water. We only were in our rooms long enough to sleep and shower. Beds were comfortable. They have safes available in the room, mini fridges with beer, pop and water. They offer turn down service at night – a nice touch. They also have wonderful toiletries – lotion and shampoo (no conditioner) – smells like a spa!

GROUNDS AND SERVICE:
Gorgeous and clean. Always people working on it. The people who work at the resort work hard. I don't mind tipping for the extra service - the beach service and the buffet service were really great and they work really hard. I know it's all inclusive, but for the extra service - I think a few dollars goes a long way. Some workers are more friendly and attentive than others (just like anywhere) - I tipped where i saw the hard work, the hustle, and the smiles.

TONY LOPEZ:
Best thing we did while we were there was book an excursion with Tony Lopez. We had read about him on Trip Advisor and sought him out when we got there since all the reviews we had read were wonderful. Everyone who wrote about him was true to their word. He was amazing! There were 4 of us who booked and we had the boat to ourselves – a private tour!! We wanted to see the bays, the beaches and some wildlife –but he will do whatever it is you want to do. He picked us up at 8:00 am right from the beach of the resort and we set off to see the dolphins! And we sure did see dolphins. Hundreds of them – all around us and for miles to see. We probably cruised with the dolphins were an hour and then we started our tour of the bays. Amazing – AMAZING – private beaches!! One of them looked like something out of a movie. We also visited some areas for snorkeling and Tony’s deckhand and son took us out. They know what they are doing – the found puffer fish and other sea creatures – and were able to point out neat things. We saw giant sea turtles from the boat. We stopped at the last bay, San Augustine, for lunch – it was great. It’s like a little make shift town on the beach with huts. Gorgeous area. Lots of peddlers – some kids selling beads etc. We returned to the hotel around 3:00 pm. This private tour beat the heck out of going with the masses. It was so relaxing and we were in charge of how short or how long we stayed at one area before moving on to see the next. Tony brought water, beer and I think some hard alcohol – but we just had a beer and some water. He also brought the most amazing pineapple! It was soooo sweet. I highly recommend going out on a private tour with Tony – he’s reasonable, friendly, true to his word. He’ll cater to what you want to see. If you want to prebook: cuates_fishing@hotmail.com cell: 958-100-6274. I can’t say enough good things about him and the amazing experience he provided for us.

LA CRUCICITA:
We went into the little town of La Crucicita one night. It was busy, lots of tourists. Lots of restaurants and shops. If you have been to a Mexican market – you know the drill. Be prepared to barter. We actually found the peddlers on the beach at the resort offered better prices for merchandise than in the shops. For example, a small painted bowl in the shops was about 180 pesos – but we bought them for 50 pesos on the beach! Some deals to be had in town – but don’t be scared to barter!
We tried to hit up La Crema for pizza as we had read great things about it, but you really need to be there for when it opens around 5:00 I think – it takes awhile for them to make pizza in the woodfire oven! It’s very popular. We did stop by for a margarita (giant size for about $5 Canadian dollars!) but we didn’t want to wait almost 2 hours for pizza.
I think it was about $4 Canadian for a cab each way.

Tip: go early morning or late afternoon – it’s soooo hot there. Being in the shops in the heat wouldn’t be too much fun.

GYM:
I ran while on vacation – up the hills towards Secrets and the opposite way towards the town. It felt safe – was pretty quiet. I also used the gym one morning (had a workout on my iphone) so I used the weights etc. They had a few bikes and treadmills. It was pretty good.

OVERALL:
Loved it. If you’re a beach person – this is the place for you. I would choose this beach over some that I have been to on the Caribbean side. It was not windy, the water is so clear and calm and so warm. The weather is unbeatable and so reliable. We were debating on whether to return to the Mayan – or come here, and I’m so glad we decide on Huatulco. I would recommend this resort to anyone – just bear in mind the extreme heat. It certainly wasn’t a bad thing! But bring hats, sunscreen galore and whatever else you might need (rash guards and t- shirts to swim in.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
10  Thank BatchicaCalgary
Fernando R, Manager at Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Please receive the warmest greetings from Dreams Huatulco. We appreciate you have taken the time to share your feedback and comments; we take very serious every review received through this forum as this helps us identify the areas of improvement, once again thank you very much for all your comments.

We look forward to be able to welcome you again very soon.

Have a great day!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I have been fond of Dreams for consistency of service and child care opportunity. Huatulco have been favourite for natural beauty of the place. But this trip, I am sure, would be my last in all of Dreams/Secrets chain. Service is terrible, food- boring, English- hardly understood by staff here. Not only there is no extra steps made to accommodate customers- there is no way to receive what has been paid for. Preferred club- no longer paid for perks or luxuries delivered at all. Air conditioner in the room- notice but no cooling air. Internet- such an unreliable bandwidth that only at the office you can hope to get on the internet or your inbox. Coco cafe that offered tasty goodies before- stale pastries only. Schedule of activities- only on paper. Stuff is too uninterested to deliver. And alcohol- that's funny- you can have few drinks but no buzz- all liquor is diluted, all tequila or vodka- taste same no matter how expensive a bottle label is. Dreams management! You have lost a loyal customer!!! Shame on you!!!

Room Tip: Book elsewhere. Don't bother with any Dreams or Secrets place. They are in business to save money, not to cater to your pleasure. And don't try to complain while on vacation. It's only spoils your mood, doesn't solve anything.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank M A

Dear Guest,

Please receive the warmest greetings from Dreams Huatulco. Thank you very much for sending along your feedback, as we take all comments written through this forum very serious as part of our improvement process to provide all our guests the best quality service possible. It is very disappointing to know that we were not able to fulfill your expectation. Rest assured this has been revised with the management in order to be improved and prevent any further occurrence.

We apologize again this was the outcome of your vacation; please know it was never our intention. Nevertheless, we hope to be able to welcome you to be able to serve you and turn this experience around and regain your trust in the Dreams Huatulco. For further comments or questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Have an excellent day!
Rooms Division Manager.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

My family and I stayed here Jan.28-Feb.4 of this year. We really enjoyed it here! This is a great resort that has nice rooms, great beach; great pools and food. Most of the other reviews go into more details with this but I wanted to point out some other points that I hadn’t read before I went. This resort does get loud at night with the entertainment in the lobby bar. It didn’t ruin our holiday but it is something to be aware of. We were there with a group of 12 people and found it hard to get even 8 chairs together at the beach or by the pools. We were disappointed to find that the Eurobungee was no longer there as it was something we were looking forward to trying out. The morning buffets were awesome!! I miss the quiche! My children (ages 3 and 5) loved the kids part of the buffet with the lower counters and kid friendly food. I loved that there were beach/pool towels everywhere and that you didn’t have to keep exchanging them every day or have to worry about towel cards that you find at other resorts. The kids club was really great. My daughters loved going there and they made friends and lots of great crafts. The ladies that work there are really good. I loved the fact that you could make a reservation with the kids club to watch the children during supper so we could go for a nice a la carte. The movies at night were awesome! It was really neat to be able to sit there at night by the pool and watch a movie. This resort is easy to get around as it would only take about 5 minutes to get from one side to the other. I also really appreciated the activity sheets that would be left under our doors for the next day so you always knew where the activities were and at what time. We took advantage of the photography session. The pictures were a little pricey but they are really great pictures. If you walk across the street from the Dreams you can go to a few little shops. There aren’t lots to choose from, but enough for a nice little souvenir. The night shows were at a perfect time and lasted only 45 minutes which is perfect at the end of a wonderful day in the sun. I do wish that they had a Mariachi band come to this resort at least once during a week. My dad and I were really looking forward to seeing a Mariachi band but did not get a chance here. This resort isn’t fancy but it is really good. I loved that they offered free WIFI and long distance calls home to Canada. It was easy to talk to the staff and service was very good. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Amanda L
Fernando R, Manager at Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Please receive the warmest greetings from Dreams Huatulco. We appreciate you have taken the time to share your feedback and comments; we take very serious every review received through this forum as this helps us identify the areas of improvement, in order to provide excellent service to all our guests.

We look forward to be able to welcome you home hopping you give us the opportunity to serve you once again in a near future.

Have a great day!

Rooms División Manager

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Grandma, Mom, Dad, two teenagers, stayed at the hotel the last week of March. What a great place. The food was very good. We always were able to find something for each of us to enjoy. Our rooms were very nice and the fridge was stocked every day. They cleaned the rooms twice a day and the beds were so comfortable. The place is spotless and the workers go out of there way to help you in any way they can. Grandma enjoyed breakfast, aerobics and bingo. Mom and Dad loved chilling out by the pool. The kids spent a lot of time in the ocean.
The day before we left we rented a boat and did the seven bay tour. It was the highlight of the trip. Our guide was Marcos. We saw dolphins, whales and went snorkeling. He took Grandma's hand and she snorkeled for the first time at 72 yrs. old. It was amazing! My granddaughter got a stuffed turtle at the gift shop and named him Marcos. Would recommend the Dreams to everyone, such a lovely place!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mary Ann M
Fernando R, Manager at Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear Guest

Greetings from Dreams Huatulco. Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. We are happy that you had a great time with us and that you had enjoyed the amenities from the resorts.

Once again thank you for choosing us. And we hope to have the opportunity to serve very soon.

Have an excellent day.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I recently stayed here for a week with my wife, 11 month old son and Mother and Father-in-law. We had a wonderful time and enjoyed our stay, but dreams did leave a few things to be desired.

Building and grounds: Both were very nice and well maintained. Everything was kept clean and organized. The landscaping was nice and the property has a beautiful view of the ocean. The beach was kept clean and raked.

Our room: My wife and I had a king bed and a crib for our son. I'd call the room itself pretty average, but it did have a balcony with an awesome ocean view, and a nice modern bathroom.

Service: Overall the service was pretty good. Most of the staff was friendly and helpful. There was some occasional inconsistencies with the room cleaning, and mini fridge re-stocking. Some days we got the snacks refilled, some days we didn't. My in-laws had the same problem in their room. Also at the restaurants we had to ask many times for things such as drinks or a high chair before getting them. Once again, overall it was good, there were just small annoyances.

Food: This is where they lose stars. The food for the most part was down right terrible. I've had better in dorm room cafeterias. I'm not a picky eater or a food snob, but this was just not good. My in-laws stayed here one year ago and said there was a major drop off in the food quality from their last stay.

Other: Our first night there, they made a big deal about celebrating the Earth Hour where they turn the power out for one hour around 8pm or so in the entire resort. My wife was freaking out because it was our first night there with our son who is a fussy sleeper. So we put him to bed, went to bed ourselves, then laid there for the first half of the night listening to the "Earth Hour celebration" outside our balcony, hearing what kept sounding like countdowns to lights out. But, they never actually cut the power after making a big deal all day, and even slipping notices under all the hotel room doors to prepare the guests. So, I'm not really complaining about it, it was just strange.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mike M

Dear Guest

Greetings from the sunny Dreams Huatulco. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with others. we try harder every single day to make sure all our guests enjoy their stay with us. that is why your comments are very important to us.

Once again thank you for choosing us. And we hope to have the opportunity to serve you in a near future in your home away from home.

Have a pleasant day