“Worst service ever”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Tucson, Arizona
“Worst service ever”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I am currently vacationing in this hotel... the worst service I had ever experience. I came to this hotel with my husband two years ago and even though we were not impressed with the quality of their food we liked the good service we received... what happened in these two years?! We came back with all our extended family looking forward to a relaxing vacation with our now toodler. The service in the main restaurant is horrible. My baby does not understand about time change he was hungry 30 min before the restaurant was open and I requested to be served or take some food... they were arrogant and unflexible... the room service food unhealthy and horrible... On the other hand the adults' pool was empty but the pools where families are supposed to be are surrounded by drunk people... important to note that the tequila contest organized by the hotel happened on the "kids" pool!
The quality of the food hadnt improve...got sick as I did in my previous trip.
If you want to relax without having to advocate to receive the service you paid for do not stay in this hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank patriciaa2012
Fernando R, Manager at Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Please receive the warmest greetings from Dreams Huatulco. We appreciate you have taken the time to share your feedback and comments; we take very serious every review received through this forum as this helps us identify the areas of improvement, in order to provide excellent service to all our guests.

We are very sorry we could not meet your expectation regarding, services we thank you again, we hope you can give us the opportunity to visit us again and see that, our main goal is to have all our clients happy.

Have a great day!

Rooms División Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was staying at the Dreams Resort with clients to photograph their wedding! My first impression of Dreams was that it was a smaller, clean and beautiful resort. I loved that it was not over-sized and services and amenities were easy to find. My room was spectacular, clean and beautifully decorated with vibrant colors. The services was impeccable. The room was kept clean at all times with a regular daily cleaning as well as a turn down service every evening which left you with a schedule of the next day's activities and a mint on your pillow. I was actually very impressed in reading through the kids club activities and would definitely consider going their with my kids in the future after seeing their great programming.

The food was not the best I have ever had. For the value of the rooms and what my clients were paying, I was honestly expecting more from the food. It did not even match up with a lot of 3 or 4 star resorts I have stayed at in the past.

In terms of wedding services. There were a couple of things that raised some questions and red flags for me about the resort. My clients ceremony was at 3 p.m and yet she did not get her dress back from dry cleaning until very close to 3 after making several phone calls and finally having to get upset with the staff and cutting it so very close. This was a big irritation for me, as it gave me little time to photograph the dress and also get photos of her getting into the dress. As soon as it arrived it was a rush to get it on! The flowers also did not arrive until close to 3 p.m which stressed the bride out immensely. These two things in my eyes were big no no's in regards to wedding services, and things that would worry me to book through them again for those specific things.

The ceremony was gorgeous and held over by their gorgeous rocks by the end of the beach. It was a long walk to the ceremony site from the stairs at Dreams and perhaps something could be done to make this shorter as I know many weddings are held in that exact spot and it would be a lot easier for the wedding party and bride if they had a shorter distance to walk.

The reception spot was amazing, and the atmosphere, decor and staff were great! The services were excellent! The food at the reception was fantastic and definitely was a 5 star meal!

Personally, I did go for two deep tissue massages and the first time I went, I was highly unimpressed. The amount that I was paying of close to $200 US, was definitely not worth the very light heavily oiled massage I received. I am used to deep tissue massages having a fair amount of pressure to work out the kinks in my back and shoulders, but in this case, it was a gentle and aimless massage for me. The second massage I went for was with a different girl and she was definitely much better. Overall though, I expected more and better from the cost and level of services they claimed to offer.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and that's really all you can ask for when you are vacationing away! The staff was friendly, but I found that off the resort is where you will really enjoy the hospitality of the Mexican's and the authentic experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank MartineSansoucy
Fernando R, Manager at Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Guest

Greetings from Dreams Huatulco. Thank you for taking the time to write your comments about our resort, we do take seriously our guest comments and suggestion because, all we do is for our guests, but the best part of it is when we hear that our clients enjoyed their vacation as you said at the end.

Hope to have you back very soon in your home away from home.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I traveled with my fiance, his sister and their father from April 28 - May 6. It was the beginning of their off season so there weren't a lot of guests - no lines for food or drinks at any time and plenty of towels at the beach each day, along with loungers. Every day the weather was 35 degrees (or higher) with full sun, a pleasant breeze coming off the water and with drink in hand... aaah, it was lovely. There was no fear of getting a funny tan on your wrist because there were no wrist bands. The resort is in it's own little bay so the beach wasn't busy at all. We had upgraded to the premium package and there was a menu for pillows?! There was a fully stocked mini fridge with plenty of drinks (water, pop, beer) that was re stocked daily along with a mini rum, vodka and whiskey, Pringles, M&M peanuts and some other snack. The bathroom toiletries were great if you had forgotten anything - they had you covered. Great view of the bay from the balcony and the beds were really comfortable. We would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leanne S
Fernando R, Manager at Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Guest

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you very soon as we will be waiting for you in your home away from home.

wisconsin
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stayed at Dreams Huatulco, April 19-26, 2014. Used Apple Vacations, and flew a straight flight with Frontier Airlines out of Chicago OHare.

We love the AM resort chain, and have stayed at this resort in the past, so we thought we would give it another try. We had some problems last time we were but felt that we really wanted to go back to Huatulco and the resort would probably be is in a great location. You have easy taxi service to La Crucecita for shopping, and Santa Cruz which has more market type shopping. The area is beautiful and feels very safe. You do not have a huge tourism crowd, like you find in other parts of Mexico. The people are friendly and not pushy. It is very laid back.

Pros - The resort guests were mainly Mexican people, as it was their big Easter holiday. It was probably at least 80% Mexican. Many of the other people we met were actually on the same plane as us. Although the resort was running at top capacity, you never felt like you were crowded. There were no lines for meals or at the bars. They had excellent alcohol choices at all of the bars. And service was good, even around the pools. We stayed in the adult only pool and you actually forgot that there were kids all around! One day, we saw the staff, setting up a huge dinner area outside the buffet. We thought it must be a wedding although it was huge. but they put out beautiful table cloths, and chair covers, and made the area very beautiful. The next day, they did the same thing and we found out it was for the evening buffet! They did it 4-5 nights of our stay! This was very impressive as it was taken down every night also! We ate at the buffet and Oceana. The food was good, and we always found something we liked. There was a dinner for Apple vacationers one night and the meal was excellent. We enjoyed breakfast everyday, outside of the buffet. It was very nice, quiet and always a cool breeze. We loved the way they played the Good Morning song every morning. It was a bit hokey but very uplifting! Our room was nice. Very well maintained by housekeeping. Always had fresh amenities and washcloths and towels. Refrigerator was stocked everyday and we loved the treats they left with the beverages! That was something I've never seen before! We did have preferred club status and liked to sit in the preferred club in the evenings after dinner, it was cool and relaxing. Room service was excellent, the couple of nights that we used it! The staff at Oceana were very pleasant! Our room was always cleaned very nicely. The resort is very easy to get around, with 5 minute walk times from one side of the hotel to the other.

Cons- We did have a bad time with room issues when we arrived. It was handled very poorly, and we felt like we were treated like we were unwelcome guests. They put us through alot and when we finally got our room situation figured out the next day, we had a view of the roof of Oceana, but at least we didn't have speakers blaring outside of our room as was the case with our first room. We have never been treated poorly like this and it put a bad feeling in us. I won't go into the details as it would not matter. I would like to say that we have only changed rooms one other time, on vacation, and that was because an incident that made our room not safe, in Jamaica. We believe that we are the makers of our own good travels so we put this aside and didn't let it ruin our vacation. We frequent Am resorts, as I have said, and always had a Welcome Back banner, or Happy Birthday, or Happy Anniversary banner on our door. We had an anniversary package, and although we questioned our Apple Rep, Pedro, we never received banners or our package. It isn't a big thing but when we have it and are told it was noted by our names, and we didn't receive it, it puts a bad feeling to the guest. These are small things that make guests feel special. Somehow, that is what I felt this resort lacked. The attention to the guests was not a big focus. There were a few staff members who stood out, but mainly nobody seemed to care to even get to know you. The Preferred Club lounge did not have a concierge, except one night. The food there was not kept at the temperatures it needed to be at, and most of the time we had to mix our own drinks there. This is absolutely not the way we are used to Preferred Clubs being run. The Vacation Unlimited staff were everywhere in the lobby and even called us one day, to try to get us to come get our coupons. They even lied to me and told me they were VIP not Vacations Unlimited, which is what it says on their desks! We only had turn down service twice in the week we were there. Not a big deal, but it is nice coming back to a freshly made bed at night! Tried to go to the disco one night, but there was nobody there. I also wanted to note that while the buffet has decent food, it is not all marked as to what it is. This was not good for me, as I have a couple of food allergies and couldn't always eat things as I didn't know what they were. Also the condiments for the mexican food were located at the end of the main food station, and was not marked and we did not find it until the end of the trip.

I would like to thank Daniel and Jesus, pool drink service. Alma, breakfast server. Fernando, Luis, and William at Oceana. And I am so sorry not to be able to remember his name, but the young man at the lobby bar, who always remembered us and came to talk to us, and make us great Bloody Caesars, and Peach Bellini's. We were always happy to see him! Although we didn't do daily activities (they were done in other pool and not by the adult pool) we enjoyed talking to the activity people.

In closing, we may go back to this resort, when we go back to Huatulco. It is unfortunate, that once again, there were problems here. We have never had any problems at other AMresorts. Something just sort of falls flat at this one, and it seems to start from management and the front desk, and it is noticeable in the way the staff does not interact alot with its guests.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank conphuzer
Dear Guest

Greetings from Dreams Huatulco. Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. We are happy that you had a great time with us and that you had enjoyed the amenities from the resorts. We appreciate your comments ether positive or suggestion which are very important for our resorts and even more when it comes from someone who knows Very well our property, thank you very much again for your all your feedback, because it helps us to work in areas of improvement for the wellbeing of all our clients.

Estevan, Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went for 2 weeks and had such a good time. Rooms very clean, our maid was excellent, food was great. Never had a bad meal the whole time we were there but our favourite was the Japanese. Spa was relaxing but a tad over priced. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Beach was to our liking but they do need to add more huts for shade. Lots of choices for tours and we took in 3 while there. We had such a good time there and will defiantly return.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Robbie S
Dear Guest

Greetings from Dreams Huatulco. Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback. We are happy that you would definitely return to your home away from home here in the beautiful Huatulco. We appreciate your comments regarding the spa and our Japanese restaurant and also your suggestions.

Once again thank you very much for visiting us and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you very soon.

Have an excellent day!
woodstock,il
Reviewed 12 May 2014

just stayed here last week for a week with my wife and we enjoyed our stay very much. We had stayed here 25 years ago when it was the Royal maeva. the grounds have changed but the beauty of the ocean and beach have not. check in was simple, but we did get asked to go to the UVC club presentation for a free dinner on the beach for 2. we went. it was 90 minutes exactly and no high pressure to buy. the dinner on the beach was romantic and wonderful. lobster and wine cant be much better. Dreams made it a special night for us. the resort is in low season and it was quiet, especially at night. we had a pool to ourselves many days. the food for the most part was very good, but I felt Portofino wasn't worth getting dressed up for. the Asian place on site was my favorite. the drinks were free flowing especially if you tipped the bartenders. we did a fishing excursion and caught several bonito and mahi mahi, which we had cooked at a restaurant at Maguey Beach. doesn't get any fresher. the room was great, nice view, soft bed, free minibar, room service included. the shower was nice with hot water and good pressure. soft plentiful towels. no wrist bands. no towel cards. all in all a very relaxing vacation. I just wish there were more frequent flights to Huatulco from Chicago. We will return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Please receive the warmest greetings from Dreams Huatulco. We appreciate that you have taken the time to comment on your recent stay at Dreams and we are extremely happy we were able to fulfill your expectations.

Thank you for your comments concerning the dinner on the beach we feel happy that you have enjoyed it.

We look forward to welcoming you pretty soon so that you are able to re-experience and enjoy what Dreams is all about. See you soon!

Have an excellent afternoon!
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed there for 4 nights, it is a very nice hotel, very clean and the staff really helpful. The hotel is divided by zones whether you are with kids or in couples, went there only with my wife and friends and we enjoyed the pool at the very end of the hotel were only adults can go, very quiet perfect to relax, and when we were with friends the other pools were ideal. I wasn't so convinced by the food, I think in general was average quality, maybe try some local restaurants, you can find very good italian food, made by italians, and local food is also very good.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple