“Fantastic Vacation in Huatulco!”

Park Royal Huatulco
Ranked #9 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
Reviewed 13 March 2010

We stayed at the Crown Pacific for 2 weeks – February 12-26, 2010.

We stayed in building 10 and the view from our balcony was spectacular! The rooms and balcony are very large. We had a king-sized bed, ocean view, fridge (restocked daily with beer, soft drinks and water) and coffee maker. The air conditioning worked very well, hot water was plentiful and the maid did a great job keeping our room clean, towels replenished and also left us flowers and towel art.

The resort is very spread out and it is built on a hill. It is made up of 10 buildings. Walking to the beach club was fine as you are walking downhill. The walk up the hill is a killer though so we usually took the shuttle car up. The wait for the shuttle was never very long.

The food was quite good. The only complaint we had was that sometimes the temperature of the food was not very hot. Dinners at the beach club were based on theme nights (Italian, Mexican, Oaxacan, Spanish, etc.) We went to the a la carte one night and enjoyed our meal. It is only open on Tuesdays and Thursdays. There is also a small restaurant by the pool on the 7th floor.

The beach club had everything there that you would need to spend the day: pool, bar, restaurant, lounge chairs, umbrellas/palapas. The lounge chairs could use new cushions because some of them were old and torn. Beach towels were also showing their age. The ocean in front of the resort was quite rough so we would just walk down the beach towards the Dreams resort and the water there was calm for swimming.

We LOVED Huatulco. Weather was hot and beautiful. We went into Crucecita a few times and had excellent meals at Tostado’s Grill (awesome arrachera steak) and La Crema (excellent pizza). Santa Cruz was another nice town to visit for shopping and sightseeing. We took a cab to Playa Entrega for some good snorkelling. We also went to Playa Bocana for a mud bath (which is a must do - your skin feels so soft afterwards) and the beach is beautiful for exploring. We had another excellent meal at Alebrijes (fantastic ribs), which is just across the street from the Crown Pacific. We went on the Signature Catamaran Bay Tour and checked out two beautiful beaches for snorkelling.

We also enjoyed spotting wildlife. From our beach club, we saw whales in the distance one day. We also saw lots of interesting birds from our balcony or just by walking around our resort area and near the golf course and trailer park. The most interesting thing we saw was a female turtle laying her eggs on the beach in front of the golf course. It was quite the sight to see and we watched her cover up the eggs and head back into the ocean.

We really enjoyed our stay at Crown Pacific. The staff were super friendly. It is a small resort, making it easy to get to know other people staying at the hotel. This is a 3 star resort so there were a few minor things that could use fixing or updating but overall it is a really nice resort. I would highly recommend this hotel and Huatulco.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank M&HWinnipeg

Reviewed 26 February 2010

Just got back from Crown Pacific in Huatulco. We had a great time.

About Huatulco
Weather in Huatulco is perfect
Beaches are soft sand and clean
Locals are freindly and I always felt safe
La Crucecita (the downtown) is a great spot.
We eat at Krystal Rose: try the Hawaiian sandwich, Terra Cotta (ribs), as well as a few others.
There are such good spots to eat out in this town, bring extra money and do it.

Resort
The resort is well maintained in a "Mexican way." For those who need USA standards with electrical repair, plumbing, painting, etc, you should go to Miami instead.
The resort is built on a hillside so you will use the little taxis and the funicular to get up. Walking is possible, and we walked up and down lots of times.
The bars are never busy so getting a drink was fast. Good "all inclusive selection"
This is a 60 - 70% spanish resort, so lots of visitiors from Mexico city. The food at the buffet reflects this. So you get many good Mexican dishes. There is a wide selection and we never went hungery. We ate out every other day, not because we had to, but rather because there is great food downtown.

If you have mobility issues, I would look elsewhere. You walk lots.

There was loads of things for the small kids to do. They have three different areas to set up for the sun.

7th Floor pool: has bar, snack bar, and great views
wadding pool has access to lobby bar and large playground
beach pool, main buffet, bar, beach, kids club etc.

If you are not fussy, it is a great spot.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank Leadbig
Reviewed 22 February 2010

Stayed here last year with the oldest grandchild, thought it was good value, not fancy, but clean, quiet, good food, close to things to do.
This year was a horror story. Far fewer staff spoke any English at all, and some had 'attitudes', though most were very nice and helpful. The room we were put in had had a bad leak in the bathroom ceiling and was bowing at the drywall joins and had black mold all over the ceiling edges and around the tub and on the surround. I had asked for a change as black mold is dangerous and I already have asthma - but there was a huge line-up of people who beat me asking for room changes due to stuff broken in their rooms. They said they'd change us Sunday when they'd have more rooms, but didn't get changed until Monday. New room had a new bathroom, just a huge shower, no tub, but I'm fine with that - it was clean. AC control was either on or off, no gradations worked. Both balcony chairs broken, sliding doors off the track and had to be hauled. Housekeeper kept moving our stuff around like it was her room. Just went on and on.
Final straw was finding a coral snake in the closet (poisonous), after being told by friends that they'd found one in their bathroom the night before. Didn't sleep well after that. Thank heavens it was our last night.
It was so nice last year, just felt at home and I wanted to take all my grandchildren there. Can't imagine how a place can deteriorate so much in one year.
REALLY hope they get their act together so I can continue to go there, but I have my doubts.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank cybercrone
Reviewed 22 February 2010

We stayed at the Crown Pacific from Jan 15-22 2010. The resort is off the beach, but the view is beautiful. They have little trams to take you to and from your room, you never have to wait, but the walk is short and nice. The beach resort was very nice, chairs were easy to get. The food was so so, breakfast was very good everyday, lunch okay, supper was different every night, themed. Our room was in the Golden crown section, it was very nice, but dated, the hotel is old but very clean. I would not pay anything extra for the Golden as the regular rooms are just as nice and have a great view as well. This is a perfect place if you like walking and want an excellent value for your money (cheaper vacation). We visited many places while there and found it extremely expensive, compared to other places in mexico we have been. Weather was fantastic, and hot hot hot. If you are looking for a quite place and hot weather Huatulco is the spot, but Acapulco, and Ixtapa are also very hot and much more fun.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shannon1414
Reviewed 20 February 2010

It was our first trip to Huatulco and we chose the Crown Pacific because of the great deal we got! For us it was perfect - relaxed, quiet and a great way to meet lots of people. The food was definitely adequate and the staff were fantastic! We were on the 7th, right next to the pool and having to walk down to the beach was an added benefit - we also had the option of taking the little shuttle. We never had much of a wait for the shuttle and if we didn't want to wait, we just started walking. If there was any downside, it was that on the weekends, families of locals moved in and then it got very noisy and busy. We took some great tours: Rough Guide, Paradise Bay Tour, Magic Falls and Rafting. It was a wonderful way to see the area and the guides were excellent. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants "slow and quiet!" Another benefit was that the rooms were very quiet. Unlike other places we've stayed, we weren't kept awake by hallway noises at all. The tripadvisor reviews we had read, made our decision to stay at the Crown Pacific easy and after we got there, we spoke to many who were there for their 3rd and 4th times!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ben_mat
Reviewed 19 February 2010

We stayed at the crown pacific at the end of January.

Check in/out no problems
room- Clean and spacious had a safe (no charge) , huge balcony, air conditioning worked great, huge 2 person whirl pool hot tub in room and you can open up your window and look at the ocean while sitting in the tub same with the bedroom you could see the ocean lying in bed. Wonderful way to wake up in the morning. I would like to have seen room darkening shades. Mini fridge was stalked daily. Room could use a fresh paint job and they were painting rooms while we were there. We stayed on the 10th floor and it was fabulous.

Getting around- We never had a problem using the shuttles the most we waited was approximately 2-3 minutes. We would often walk down going up was another thing. We would do it at least once a day to wear off all the drinks. It would take you to the beach, restaurant ,lobby, all floors etc.. I don't know if I would recommend it to anyone who couldn't walk well but the guy in the next room had a broken leg and he got around fine. About the weather and walking usually everything was shady when walking so we never thought we would have sun stoke or anything like that.

Beach- I had to laugh when I read the beach was not good for swimming this hotel is located right beside Barcello and beside Barcello is Dreams its all the same beach same sand, water etc.. So you can draw your own conclusion on that one. I loved that they had hammocks on the beach with a pergola on top of them. I loved my waiter who would run and get me drinks so I didn't have to leave my hammock. We never I mean NEVER had to leave towels on our chairs to hold them early in the morning and we always got chairs. We are not early risers either.

Trips- we booked our trips by ourselves with locals. We did the bay tour that stopped at a few bays and we went snorkeling, Snorkeling was fantastic we actually caught a lobster and our guide took us to a restaurant on the beach and they cooked it for us. We seen flying manta rays, turtles, all kinds of fish. They pointed out interesting spots. It was all you could drink, They picked us up at 9 and we could stay how long we wanted and we could ask them to take us back when we wanted. We did take the tour with another couple so it brought the cost down and we had company. Now we did have to suggest this to the guy selling us the trip. He really didn't care they were there to serve us. We went a couple times to the town that is close by.
Also we hired a cab for the day and sent to San Augusta now that had to be one of the best places to snorkel the coral in places came right to the beach. The restaurant that we stopped at had great food and the beach was so quiet maybe 12 people all together. I would recommend going there to snorkel.
Lots of the bays you only can get to by boat that is why you have to do at least a bay cruise to see them.

Bars- This is my only complaint the bar did not open until 11 am . So you couldn't get bottled water until then, so I would bring mine down from the room. The bars were great no waiting and great drinks.

Staff- had no problem they were so willing to help. I do have a Spanish book that I bring. I would leave the maid directions on what I wanted in my fridge, if I needed extra towels, etc.. Had no problems!

I hope I didn't leave anything out. The whole area is laid back if you want partying until 6am go to Cancun, if you want burger king on every corner you don't want to come here. I love that its so natual here and even the people in the market are not pushy they just say hi to you and let you look around. If you are going for weather and beaches and some sightseeing this is it. If you are going for luxuary maybe get a more expensive hotel but I have stayed at 5 stars that were equal to this. Lots of people at this resort had stayed here before so that must say something for it.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
9  Thank shelly-canada
Reviewed 16 February 2010

once you get used to the different levels of this hotel is just such a pleasure to stay here great staff great location and just beautiful location small enough to get to know all the staff and other guests and just a warm inviting place to relax

Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo