“Cant wait to go back”

Park Royal Huatulco
Ranked #9 of 48 Hotels in Huatulco
Reviewed 5 March 2011

This hotel was better than expected-being rated a 3.5 star. Yes it is located high on a hilltop (we were at level 10-the highest), but trolleys come by every few minutes, so it is really no trouble at all. The view makes it all worth while.
Our room was quite nice. We asked for 2 beds, but got one king size. My gilrfreind decided thats ok, and stayed where we were.
The balcony was the biggest I have ever has anywhere, how nice sitting out there with our morning coffee overlooking the beautiful bay.
Food was better than expected. It does get a little repetitive so we went out for dinner nights.
Service was wonderful, we never had to wait long for anything.
Beach - well- the only small downfall of the resort. The tram will take you there ( 4 min walk) but it is quite rough, and I would not chance swimmimg there.
There were always beach chairs, even at 9.30 or 10.00 am.
The hotel is in very close walking distance to bars and restaurants. We felt very safe walking at night.
To take a cab into town is only 3.00$. Very safe, and places to eat and drink.
One place everyone may enjoy visiting while in Le Cruceita is La Crema. It is famous for its pizza, and it is good and cheap. We went there 2x during our week stay. I really enjoyed my stay, and would definately like to go back.
We travel quite often, 4 or more all inclusives every winter, so we have lots to compare it to.
Weather-hot, hot, never a cloud in the sky-glorious !

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank straycat03
Write a ReviewReviews (1,092)

Reviewed 2 March 2011

A friend and I stayed here for a week at the end of Feb. Were both mid 20's, she had never travelled before and I have been a few places. This resort is cute, but I wouldnt go back. Its not beach front, you need to get rides up to your room in a trolly, and to the beach also, or you can walk. My biggest complaint is the food. There is one buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner at the beach club. Basically serves the same food for every meal. There is a breakfast/snack bar open til 5 which has hamburgers, hotdogs, and fruit. You cant get food anywhere between the hours of 5-730. Bottled water is only available after 11am.
The staff is great, very friendly and welcoming. Rooms are average, beds very uncomfortable. Its not a bad resort and if your ok with all that its a great place to go, just know, theres lots of walking!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank hotweatherprincess
Reviewed 25 February 2011

Great place to stay. A little run down, although it was just purchased by Park Royal. The people are great to work with. They seem to be getting the place back in shape. After 10 days, the food gets to be the same.

2  Thank barney080
Reviewed 23 February 2011

Just came back from Huatulco and enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The rooms are a good size, basic and clean accomodation. We stayed in the highest building on the hillside which had a fantastic view. The only drawback to this is that it is quite a walk to the lobby area and you don't really want to forget anything when you go to the pool, but the shuttles are frequently going up and down the hill. We debated upgrading to the 8th building which overlooks the upper pool and would probably do this if we went again. It was actually pretty quiet while we were there, one of the staff said about 50% full, so we never had any problems getting chairs at either pool or at the beach. It is definately a quieter hotel and although they try to provide some activities they weren't very well attended.

1  Thank seca
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Stayed with Crown Pacific for 2 weeks with 10 friends....was my first trip to Mexico, it was truly a wonderful holiday and the Crown Pacific did a great job.....the only reason why its not a 5 star is because its not only the beach. Staff were amazing and we made alot of friends, food was great and the entertainment was superb! The hotel is on the hillside so there can be alot of walking involved, but they also have the shuttles available at all times...after eating the meals that they provided the walks were great! The beach area is great and so very clean. Was a wonderful place to stay. I felt very safe and enjoyed walking to the local pubs for a change of scenery and some nightlife. Our group has travelled to many places in Mexico and we have all agreed that Hualtuco, Crown Pacific will be our holiday destination next year....Was just what the doctor ordered!

3  Thank wheresmyjane
Reviewed 9 February 2011

What an amazing week at this resort. The staff work so hard and are incredibly friendly and helpful. One of the people we met celebrated her birthday on our last night and the restaurant staff at the beach club brought out a big cake with candles and some of the staff sang happy birthday with us. I totally recommend this place. You cannot go wrong with the weather and to get to other beaches or towns is very reasonable. Totally safe. Thanks to all at the resort, you were amazing.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank peak1960
Reviewed 22 January 2011

This is my wife and I's second trip to this resort. Our first was in Dec 2006. At the time, I was not really a member of the international jet-set, and this was the furthest I'd ever been from British Columbia.

I felt ill-at-ease here the first time: always wondering what to do, will I get lost exploring the area (not a big fan of commercial resorts like Disney), big resorts with problems to match etc. It took a bit but I got into the swing of it.

The airport is slow to get through but this IS Mexico. I've had a much worse time at US Customs driving across the border, so there. Small airport and a rather small but friendly staff. I didn't feel uncomfortable dealing with them. Getting the bus this time was a bit of a hassle, as we were the only people from this flight to go to the Crown Pacific. But we got there and our luggage as well. This time though, I got myself some better camera gear and even brought a telescope and tripod (former in carry-on, latter in checked bags) and everything arrived with me.

We got booked in on the top floor of building 7, overlooking the upper pool/bar/cabana area, whereas we were in 6 before. This room also has a large patio with chairs and a table, the room had a variation of an open-floor layout: bedroom and sitting area separated by a pony wall and the bathroom at the end of the hall around the corner. We had a STOCKED mini-fridge now, with 2 bottles of water, 2 sodas and 2 beer each day if we drank it. The beer was some weird salted version, and took some getting used to but I ended up liking it. There was also a coffee maker with coffee restocked daily. We took to taking it on the patio most mornings before it got hot.

Transportation to the beach/lobby area is by either the trams, walking or the aging "fernicular" which is this cable driven car that goes between the lobby and lounge near the upper pool. It is extremely slow and only worth going for the novelty. There is a LOT of walking if you don't want to wait for the tram and sometimes you had to wait for the car service. With the hot weather, walking is best in the morning or evening hours. Not a great place if you have a mobility issue or infants. They do have a new tram this year so there are three available now.

The rooms have seen better days. I see from other reviews people had issues but this room was clean, quiet and well stocked. The seating area has a sofa bed, love-seat, two chairs and a table, which got moved outside so we could drink coffee in the morning. The hot water for showers does take a while but who wants a really hot shower to freshen up here? The maid service was great but we didn't get our linens changes each day, just the fridge and coffee things.

The room does have a safe, big enough for all my camera gear, telescope, passports, wallets and jewelry.

The beach area is beautiful, especially in the morning before it gets hot. Grab a bit of bread from the dining area and go stand in the water by the east end of the beach by the rocks. You'll get to feed a school of fish that come up to you in the water by your ankles! There were a few people using the lounge seats to change their babies (ewwww) and we tried to get manager there to understand WHY we didn't like it to no avail due his lack of English, one of the few times we couldn't get our point across.

WE knew the food in the upper area was more limited so we dined at the playa most times. Much quieter up here, fewer pool games and noises. This time the dining area in the morning off the lobby wasn't open. Too bad, as I was looking forward to having fried crickets with an omelete, like the first time. I do agree sometimes the food is hit or miss, especially the "Italian Night" They don't seem to know what garlic is. I did want to see more of the local cuisine. Who wants to fly 3000 miles to eat the same burger you can get at home? The desserts were pretty good as well but some were rather plain. I had no stomach problems except possibly eating too much.

There was only one night per week, Thursday, for dining ala carte, and it went really well. We started on white asparagus soup, salad (this we got ourselves!). The chicken was as good a something I've had in a restaurant in Vancouver. The only thing wrong was the white wine. (oh the humanity) but I'm being a nitpicker here. I'm not a fan of oaked Chardonnays.

I found few problems with the drinks. I prefer to get my own, so the staff being in my face to ask was a bit much. Plenty of beer, mescal and other things. They didn't make a very good margarita so we got ones elsewhere.

There is nightly entertainment and we saw most of the shows the first time so we passed on it the second time and dined early to avoid the rush. One show features dancing with machetes (mere words don't do it justice) and another is a series of comedy and musical sketches. They all transcend the language barrier quite well.

There are some things missing like a complete spa but that didn't bother me at all . Also a shaded patio area where you could sit around and have a quiet conversation would be nice.

My first time, I took a tour of the bays with a snorkel rental plus a meal on the beach. This and a day trip to la Crucecita were our only trips other than walks in the surrounds. This second trip, we made an effort to see more of the area without the tours. We cabbed to the La Bocana de Copalita (surfers on the beach, some shrimp and four very good margaritas for about $32. This beach connects at low tide to the one that is under the cliff of the ecological park nearby. Just BEFORE this beach area is a small beach called "Cojenos" where thy are building new resort. This is the Mexico I came to see: locals with kids on a quiet beach. You could get hot food and cold beer here and we had some beer for ourselves. Easy to miss though. Only one small sign but 20 cars on the side of the highway and the taxis drop people here often.

On our final complete day, we went the the Parc Ecologic. It has a very new museum with great displays of Pre-Columbian artifacts. The park has an amazing view of a fresh-water lagoon and beach, plus some interesting old ceramonial areas and some really huge trees. It is the height of the dry season, so birds, butterflies and things like that are a bit scarce. Only 50 pesos to get in and a 50 peso cab ride each way so: less than $20 total for two people.

The hotel does need to work on some things: postcards but the lobby has no stamps for them. What is the point of having them if you can't mail them?

The meals got a bit boring and we could have eaten out more in La Crucacita or Santa Cruz. Taxis are always around but learn what the fares are (posted by the main entrance) and carry exact change. On the whole, I had fewer problem getting a cab here than in downtown Vancouver, period.

There is new ownership now and I heard people saying it may become a timeshare and not an all-inclusive and I say: Unfortunate

The place was very busy the first time (over Christmas) and they do run out of things in the dining area, no chairs free by the pool etc. No such problem in January this time though.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple