We visited Secrets Huatulco in Feb 2012 for 10 days. There are some very nice things about the resort; however, we experienced a lot of negatives too and by the end of our stay I was definitely underwhelmed despite Secrets receiving rave reviews from others.
First, the pluses:
-- a beautiful resort with a great view. (Note, however, that despite being on the Pacific, there is no sunset to speak of as the resort actually faces south).
-- the Huatulco area is lovely. We visited the local town (Crucecita) and loved it (if we went back, we'd probably stay at a resort closer to this town). The town is very quaint with good restaurants and friendly people (locals and visitors).
-- For the most part, we liked the food. The Market is kind of *pedestrian*, but the service was good and we only ate breakfast and lunch there, so we weren't looking for a *dining experience*. We really liked the Seaside Grill -- good food but kind of a limited menu; good service and probably the best views.
-- With a caveat (see below), staff was very good. Everyone we dealt with went out of their way to be helpful and accommodating.
-- As others have mentioned, this is a beach resort in name only. The drop-off is precipitous and the wave action / rip tide is lethal. Although I have a few more pounds and mileage on me since high school, I was on the swim team and still consider myself a pretty strong swimmer. It took about 10 seconds to realize it would be near-suicidal to try and swim in that surf.
-- ¿No habla ingles!? Wow. For a resort that caters to North Americans, I was really surprised by how few of the staff could speak *any* English, and, for those who could, how poor their command of English was. Whenever you asked a staff member something, you could be sure of an eager smile and a "It's a pleasure" response. However, I quickly realized that they had no idea what I was saying and the eagerness and friendliness wears thin when you can't find anyone to actually help you get something.
-- Probably the biggest disappointment were the drinks. I'm not a big drinker, but like to have the occasional cocktail. I learned not to bother asking for anything at Secrets except beer or wine; otherwise, it was a pretty good bet that what I received was either not what I received or was so watered down that it was undrinkable.
Case in point: I love margaritas and figured they would be delicious at a resort that advertised "unlimited luxury" and "top-shelf spirits". Even though I enjoy margaritas, I don't have much tolerance for alcohol: one is my usual limit, two will pretty much finish me for the evening. At Secrets, I couldn't even detect that the margaritas included tequila. In fact, one night, as a little experiment, I decided to see how many margaritas I could drink before feeling the effects of the alcohol. I gave up after SEVEN margaritas and not feeling the slightest effect at all.
On the whole, it was a beautiful place with very nice (but non-English speaking) staff. However, the negatives outweighed the pluses and I would not return to this resort. Moreover, despite registering my disappointment on the Secrets survey form at check out, and sending a lengthy e-mail to Secrets HQ when we returned, I got no response to either and so have serious doubts whether I'd visit any other Secrets resorts.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The enchanting Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa sits on the Pacific coast in Huatulco - a sustainable tourism destination recognized for its commitment to the local environment. Beautifully secluded on the Conejos Bay, guests at Secrets Huatulco are treated to divine views of golden sand beaches, stunning rock formations and sapphire waters. Exclusive Unlimited-Luxury(R) amenities start with limitless gourmet fare and top-shelf spirits, pool and beach wait service, and 24-hour room and concierge services. While 399 gorgeous suites offer daily refreshed mini-bar, spectacular views, plus a furnished balcony, terrace Jacuzzi, or swim-out pool access. Take part in daily activities and nightly entertainment, or a pampering treatment at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia. Guests can even spend a night out with the Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience at the nearby Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa, to enjoy more fine dining and entertainment. Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa - Enchanting. Secluded. Divine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Huatulco Hotel Huatulco
- Secrets Huatulco Resort And Spa