“Disappointed”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago, Illinois
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Our family stayed here July 21-28th. First let me say that the views are incredible, this was our 6th trip and the best view by far, but like another reviewer said, people aren't going to return for a view. This resort has only been open for 8 months, but that is no excuse for the inconveniences that we experienced. We spend alot of money and expect to have great food, service, premium alcohol etc. The "buffet" was so bad, as far as quantity and quality. We have never seen such a small amount of food and a very strange assortment. We ordered alot of room service, which did have its quirks too, but all I can say is thank goodness for the french fries! Its really too bad that all the restaurants can't be open all the time, I'm thinking that's one of the perks that we pay for. The Japanese restaurant was really good, the Italian restaurant was very little portions, (ordered room service after this meal), the Mexican restaurant, our son had to give his order three different times and then he still didn't get what he ordered. Castaways was delicious, but not open everyday or at nights. We were at the pool/poolbar everyday. They did have Bud light at this resort, but they never had enough. Maybe you could get a few a day and then they were out, when we asked for more, they said they would get some, but that never happened. This was a reoccuring theme during out stay, kept running out of things that they should of had enough of. Our kids room only got cleaned once, which was not a huge deal, it was just an inconvenience since they had to keep getting clean towels. The kicker to this is, we saw the cleaning ladies gettting close to our kids room, so we tipped one of them after asking if they were going to clean room #...., and then it didn't get cleaned. Our fridge was never stocked by anyone but ourselves. After the first few days when we noticed that it was not getting restocked, we would order what we wanted when we ordered room service. They brought over some of the guests from the Dreams resort since they were conveniently "over booked", and those people felt the same as us, maybe even more frustrated, and disappointed. Then when it was our last day, we checked at least 3 times that week to see what time our shuttle was leaving for the airport, was told noon everytime. So our last day we just got back to our room, it was 11:15, the phone rang and the gentleman said "we have been waiting for you for 15 minutes". We're like in a panic, frustrated, angry, thank goodness we were packed and ready. Don't get us wrong, our vacation wasn't ruined, but when you pay alot of money and this is your only vacation, and you're going to a six star resort, your expectations are high. We tried to always think positive, that this was a family vacation, but I think everyone got frustrated. This is the first time we've had a "disappointing" experience, so this was all new to us. We did read the reviews all along until our trip, but I think our biggest disappointment was the buffet. Now granted, everyone has a different point of view as to what they want from their vacation, in our past experiences, we've always had huge, lots of variety buffets, some better than others, but at least we had alot to pick from. We did get alot of bug bites, not sure how, most of the time we were in the pool? The shade was not an issue as we've read in some of the reviews, had beautiful weather everyday, the air was perfect in the rooms. So take what you want from this review, I know from personally speaking with other guests the week we were there, all of them were very disappointed, which is such a shame, because the employees were really great, and this is their livelihood and management needs to step up and make some major changes so this resort/hotel can stay open not only for the employees but for the area as well.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
17 Thank IllinoisFolk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,222)
  • Korean first
st louis, mo
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Was booked at the Dreams for July 20-27, but as they were filled to capacity we were offered an upgrade to the Secrets at no extra charge. It is an adults only resort so we said yes, although we knew nothing about the resort itself. This may be a little long review....

HOTEL: each room is an ocean view which was fantastic...
ROOMS: rooms are big and roomy with all new furnishings. loved the rain style shower. housekeeping service was top notch. Although we only got turn down service one night.
BARS: lots of help needed here. no wait staff at the bars. this is supposed to be a top line resort what gives. Not much seating at the bars. All set up for group seating. Lobby bar closes at 6pm. Although we got a bailey;s irish cream one night were told the next that it wasn't carried at the resort. again top resort???
DESIGN: the bars and lobby are open air which is totally normal. but no one though to install ceiling fans in either area?? they are really needed. All the resuarants are packed into one area making for people congestion.
SERVICE: this is a real problem here. The resort was only 30% filled yet the alacart restuarants could not keep up. took over an hour to hour and half to get meals. even though there were empty tables people were given pagers, because the staff could not keep up. not sure if it was do to lack of wait staff or kitchen staff, but they really need to get it fixed. They could never handle a full resort. orders and drinks were always getting mixed up at different tables.
MEDICAL: unfortunatly I needed to partake of this service. or should I say lack of. I was injured(broke toe) on Sunday. dr on call was not to intereseted in coming and siad that xrays would be difficult because it was Sunday. Kept trying to convince me that it would be to expensive. Had travel insurance so this waas not a problem
WEATHER: was beautiful hot and sunny every day. don't pay any attention to the weather for casts online
FINALLY: at this point I would not reurn to this resort. They have only been open since Dec of last year so maybe they can still get thier act together. forgot to mention that the beach and pool have great bar wait service. Be sure and check out the beach vendors. Can't beat George or Victor for jewery prices. They each have different things. Tell them Pat Wagner sent you. Take a few school supplies with you for George. His daughter is a teacher and they always need things that the school can't afford.

Room Tip: All rooms are great with ocean views the higher up the better
13 Thank bkpwags
STL
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We stayed @ Secrets July20-27. It's really hard to know where to begin...This is our 4th Secrets (Riv.Maya 2X..Punta Cana 1) .. we thought we'd try some place totally different. We trust the Secrets name and booked Huatulco. The resort is new,but has been operational for months now..plenty of time for them to iron out any kinks..one would think!!!
The rooms were smaller, but nicely appointed..shower great,air conditioning great,swim-out room perfect for evening dip..views spectacular!! We were on the 1st floor of building 1..nice location.
Beach..dark gravel sand ..so deep it was difficult to walk..coarse,hot,deep,and ugly..Red flags daily..not for beach people which we typically are!! On to the pool....
Interesting pool shapes, had plenty of umbrellas and lounges. Swim-up bar w/ 2 bartenders for everyone!! 1 waitress for a huge area. Not sure if she waited on the beach people or not, but do think so as she was the ONLY waitress I ever saw.They listed something like 8 bars at the resort, but the swim-up bar is the Marlin and the other side of the swim-up is the Baracuda..NOT 2 bars..1 which closed @ dark and staffed by the same 2 guys.
Lunch was served @ the Barefoot grill or the buffet. 2 days the Castaways was open.Barefoot grill served a strange burger..think it was soy or veggie..definitely not meat..other choice was a hot dog or fish. 1 guy cooking for everyone..2 or 3 people waiting always.Casteways worth the walk..good food..service ???
This brings me to the total problem..not nearly enough staff. The management said that the resort was only 30% occupied..thank God or one would never get a thing!! At night..one had only 1 choice to go for a cocktail before dinner..the Sky Bar..2 guys..no waitresses..open air..no fans..HOT HOT HOT..after dinner..1 choice..same 2 guys..still hot..long wait @ bar for a drink.This brings me to dinner....
The restaurants were cute..good choice of entres..drink guy came..offered us wine or cocktail..waiter came took our order..never saw the wine guy again..food was good, but had to hurry as the next coarse was already at our table ..It was a late dining crowd..9or so..the place would get busy and you never saw any waiter ever again!! The Japanese restaurand had a guy doing the show cooking who wasn't capable of cooking..he actually shrugged his shoulders..burned things ..undercooked the chicken..finally he just walked away. Heard the next day that 12 waiters walked off the job..Japanese was never open for the rest of our stay!! We left thankful that we were not poisoned..
Secrets...pay attention here..hire some people..train them..your reputation is on the line.Secrets prides itself on service and luxury.People like us rely on this when we try new locations . We trusted the Secrets name. This one fell way short..You can only sell the magnificent view once..No one will return for the view alone!!!

10 Thank GJackJane
Chicago
Reviewed 28 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at Secrets Huatulco the week of March 17, 2012.
Our trip started with lost luggage and the airport only has 2 flights a day, so if your luggage gets lost, it will be a while before you get it. The Apple reps are USELESS when it comes to lost luggage, but the hotel staff in the preferred lounge was very helpful and called the airline for me after I broke down in tears on my 2nd day of not having clean clothes.
I went to the spa to see if I could purchase a travel kit of toiletries - I needed some face wash and lotion to get me by until my luggage arrived, but they wanted to charge me $90 for it even though they were aware of my situation. The most upsetting part of that was on our last day, after our massages, I was buying some overpriced lotion and asked if they had samples of the other things - they were more than happy to give me samples of face wash, face lotion, etc.. now, why couldn't they have done that when I was desperate with nothing to clean my face?!?! I would've gladly paid for some samples to get me by until my luggage arrived, but there was no way in hell that I was going to pay $90 for a few travel sizes. I'm not cheap, but seriously? Very disappointing!

The hotel is very clean and pretty, but the layout is very odd and it's a long walk to everything. That part didn't bother us because we're active people, but a lot of people were complaining about that. I also wish I would've listened to the reviews I read that said to not waste money on the preferred club. So, please believe me when I tell you DO NOT waste your money on the preferred club. It's a joke! The "premium liquor" is a bunch of bottles on a table that you have to come serve up yourself and the snacks were tiny little sandwiches that they put out once a day. That was it - SO not worth the extra $.
We had the ocean front with jacuzzi, but due to the lack of privacy on your balcony, we never even used the jacuzzi. The balcony is glass and you can see (and hear) your neighbors.
Yes, we had an "ocean view" but since we were on the first floor of the building closest to the restaurants, our ocean view was somewhat spoiled by the view of the orange roof of the building in front of us.
We did not like the setup of the shower/tub. The shower has a giant rain shower head, so that part was really nice, but it's all one room so someone can't shower at the same time someone else is taking a bath because the water sprays all over and the floor of the shower was wooden slats, which I found to be very odd. At least the bed was comfy.
Also, if bugs bother you like they bother me, DO NOT take a room on ground level. We had many crickets, spiders and little centipedes crawling into our room under the door - I had to shove towels under the door every day to attempt to keep them out - it was a nightmare! We spoke to other hotel guests that had 2nd or 3rd floor rooms and they didn't seem to have this problem.

We are ocean lovers - we live in Chicago, so when we're on vacation, we're laying by the beach. This beach is not good. The sand is rough and the beach is hilly - some elderly people had a very hard time walking down to the water. It was incredibly windy and we couldn't swim in the water once during our stay. The danger and jelly fish flags were up every day.

We laid by the pool every day - it was really large and nice, but the drink service is slow (unless you tip them) and let me tell you - the sun is very hot there, so if you want an umbrella (which we do because we are fair skinned) be prepared to wake up early and have towels on your chairs by 7am. No, I'm not exaggerating. I was up at 6:30 every am on my vacation so we could walk down and put towels on chairs that had umbrellas. There are just not enough of them and if it's windy, the staff comes by and close the umbrellas on you. It was incredibly frustrating.

The food and drinks were average. We didn't have a horrible meal, but we didn't have an incredible meal either. It's your typical all-inclusive food that leaves much to be desired.
The drinks were not great. That's one of the fun things about a beach vacation - nice views, sunshine and frosty beverages and I was so disappointed by the drinks.
I got a little bit sick during our stay, but my husband seemed fine. They said the water was safe, but I'd still stick to bottled - even for brushing.

There's no night life to speak of so if that's something you need, Huatulco is not for you. It's pretty peaceful and sleepy. It's very dark at night, so you get to see beautiful amounts of stars.
The people were incredibly nice, but don't speak a lot of english, so it's helpful if you know some spanish.

The spa is overpriced, but you're on vacation so just go and enjoy it. We both had massages on two seperate days and they were wonderful. Plus, you get to enjoy the water circuit and it's fun and relaxing. Definitely one of the highlights of our trip.

One last thing - everything I read said that tips are included in the price of your vacation, but they accept and appreciate tips. If you want good service, bring some singles for tipping because it was amazing how much attentive they were when you gave them some cash.

All in all, it IS a nice resort, but it's certainly not a 5 star hotel. I'm not trying to sound like a snob - I just want you to know what to expect. We were lead to believe this was some luxury resort, but I wouldn't call it a luxury 5 star hotel by any means. If that's how you like to travel, then this is not the hotel for you, but if you're looking for a clean, nice, all-inclusive hotel that isn't top of the line luxury, you'll have a great time. We had a decent time, but will not return.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank LuvTrvl31
DF
Reviewed 26 July 2012

This Hotel is located at Bahia Conejos a beautiful natural landscape.The beach has strong currents and the warning red flag is always present as well as the lifeguard,but the beauty of the place compensates this beach condition.The Hotel is almost new,with a contemporary style;it is important to say that the hotel size ,design and terrain configuration will make you to walk long distances to reach your room,or the restaurants.Secrets is all inclusive,restaurants have good quality but one should be aware that the hotel changes every day the use of the different places;for example one night you may use the italian restaurant but the next day this restaurant will be closed,and you will have to go to another option with different meals.
Nevertheless Secrets is a great option to stay at Huatulco.!

• Stayed July 2012
5 Thank Juvalenc
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear guest:

First of all let me thank you for your message and staying at our resort in your past vacations.

Let me assure you that your feedback is very important and that we will take in account your comments; since our mission is to offer the best quality service to our guests.

It has been our pleasure to attend you in Secrets and we hope to see you again.

We wish you a pleasant day and week,

Best regards.

Aurelien Pichereau
General Manager Assistant
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We stayed for 8 nights in this lovely resort. The first days we felt quite lost and frustrated. They had many rules and they do not communicate them well at check in. It took them 5 minutes to register us w/o giving us any detail about what the resorts offers but they wasted like 40 minutes of our time trying to hook us up in a sales presentation with the excuse that we can get big discounts at the SPA. It took us like two days to understand how the restaurants rotate, which activities are where and when do we need to do a reservation.
The resort is in great condition, the food is great and the personnel is very friendly however they repeat a lot "es un placer". After hearing it for so many times it becomes less nice ... they really need to use other ways to say your welcome.

7 Thank Liux1512
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear guest,

We appreciate your message, it is very important for us to receive a feedback from our guests; in order to take measures to improve our services, when needed.

In this frame, let me assure you that we will take in account your comments.

We hope to welcome you back at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa. Please don´t hesitate to contact us if you come back, and have a special request for your future stay.

Best regards,

Aurélien Pichereau
General Manager Assistant
a_gerencia.sechu@secretsresorts.com
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We have stayed at two other Secrets hotels in Mexico (Maroma and Capri) and had exceptionally good experiences. So, we were excited to try the one in Huatulco. Also, we have been staying in Mexico for more than ten years (Cancun, Cozumel, Riviera Maya, PV). The Huatulco Secrets was a really nice resort, except so many people got sick. We didn't go anywhere else on the trip so we're pretty sure that we got it at that hotel. Since we have been traveling to Mexico without a problem with getting sick for so long, we were not particularly concerned about eating the food or drinking the drinks. Unfortunately, our entire group got sick. We meet probably at least 10 other guests who were sick, too.
There were plenty of good things to comment on and maybe the things that were not so good seemed even worse because we were sick (for example, scarcity of toilet paper!). It'll be a while before we give Huatulco Secrets another chance.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends