“The Good, The Bad & The Ugly”

Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Green Bay
“The Good, The Bad & The Ugly”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

My wife and I usually do not go this late in the spring but since winter was dragging on we took a last minute trip to Secrets Huatulco.
This review will be short and sweet with a little fun or puns intended. We hope you enjoy.

The Good:

No long lines at customs when we arrived at the airport.
Direct transportation to Secrets.
Check-in was quick and easy
Room was fabulous,clean and roomy with a great view. Not a bad room at this resort.
Stayed Bldg. 5 Room 5317 the week of 27 March 13 to 03 May 13. Third floor.
View from glass elevators great (Pools beach and ocean).
Sky bar and entertainment there was good.
Burgers,fries BBQ chicken legs at snack bar!
French restaurant the steak was best. Had med. could cut with fork.
Resort half booked A Big Plus! Better service that way.
Weather 90's and no rain.
Great views
Maids & fridge stockers were quick and efficient
Do not disturb light was a big plus for no interruptions.
Apples farewell party was done very intimately with excellent service and entertainment.
Massage and water therapy pool very nice.
No screaming kids!
Did I say great views from your room.

The Bad:

Beach vendors do not know the word no! Stay by the pool, its nicer anyway. Or go to the beach early. 10:30 am they come out.
Entertainment in the theater was mediocre and lip synced. We left after 15 minutes.
Two couples we befriended and spent the whole week with got sick. It seems alot of people are having that problem. Just read the reviews, people would not say it if it was not happening.
Its alot more often than most other resorts we stayed at. Resort needs to solve this issue or they should be downgraded on the Apple rating.
We did not get sick. I think we have Mexican stomachs, lol.
Advice: Take your Probiotics before you go and immodium when you get there.

The Ugly:

Turkey Vultures
I think they hang around to eat the guests that may succumb to their sickness.
They tried to wait for me on the beach, but I left them hungry, lol.

So in closing I would like to say this was one of our best resorts yet. We wanted to get away and just lounge around and did just that. Not a place for the spring break minded folks.
The only reason I did not give this resort the top rating was because of the sickness issue.
If you like my review give me a helpful vote. Thank you! Enjoy the pics.

Room Tip: Lower Bldg. and third floor.
20 Thank bikerbuddy
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor, and sharing your experience at our Resort & Spa.

The comments of our guests are essential for our team, and we will take in account yours; in order to make the necessary change.

We hope to see you again, it would be our pleasure to welcome you again at Secrets Huatulco.

Best regards,

Aurelien Pichereau
General Manager Assistant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,218)
  • Korean first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Visited this area for our first time. We've been to Riviera Maya area 3 times and Jamaica once, within the last 6 years. Secrets, as usual, didn't disappoint. Place was clean and employees were attentive and courteous.
Food....The food was fine. We don't go to all inclusive vacations in Mexico for gourmet dining. It is above average to very good food. Breakfast buffet has everything one could possibly want for breakfast and more. Lunch for us was at the snack bar (good cheese burgers, hot dogs, nachos, chicken wings, and ribs...one day that did a paella that was delicious). Dinner...pick your restaurant and enjoy (I would suggest booking a table at the asian restaurant where the chef cooks in front of you. Reviews on here had me terrified of the food causing illness. No problem for us or anyone else we talked to all week long.
Beach...wonderful!!! Yes the sand is brown and hot. So what? Bring appropriate footwear and enjoy. Water is rough...and by that I mean FUN!!! If you aren't a decent swimmer, stay out of it. The further you move to your left, the calmer the water. There is a short, narrow path that will grant you access to the beach just to the left of the resort. We walked there daily. It, too, is beautiful.
Pools....clean and ENORMOUS. Pool bar always scare me. Q. How do these people drink for hours without going to the bathroom? A. They don't!!!
Bars....the servers at the bars (not just this resort) can be "indifferent". Secrets is supposed to have Budweiser and Bud Light in cans (also had Modelo Especial and Modelo Negra on tap). First day I told the guy (at the snack bar) I was there for a week and would be drinking Budweiser. Gave him $5 and tipped $1 EVERY time I got a beer. He ran out of Bud after I had my 3rd beer. Some days he had none. Usually I would have 2 to 3 beers and then he was out. One day he had none, when I complained, he went to a cooler behind the bar and got me one??? WTF? Similar games were played at The Sky Bar with Budweiser. First two days bartender told me no Budweiser and he couldn't get it. I then told him I would give him $20 if he got Bud. Guess what? Next night he had Budweiser.
Safety...we felt safe the entire time. If you exit the resort and go right (east) along the main road, walk about 20 minutes, you will find a very small town with two local restaurants on the beach. Locals were surfing there while we ate. Some of the best food we had on the trip. Restrooms were a bit "scary", but that's life in a small mexican town.
Rooms...all rooms have an ocean view (very rare for an all inclusive). I see no need for any upgrade at this resort. Yes there are some stairs to deal with...With the amount of alcohol calories being consumed, I viewed some stairs climbing a plus!
We did one excursion "3 Levels of Huatulco". Left resort at 9:30 am and returned at 3 pm. It was $50/person. We were in a van with 3 other couples. Santa Maria Huatulco was the most informative view I've had of a small town in Mexico. Drove up into the mountains and saw a coffee plantation and more mexican "life". If you do this, I highly recommend you request Ricardo as your guide. He gave a great tour!
It was sunny every day we were there! Secrets was only at 28% capacity. So, needless to say, we never had to play "the chair game".
Huatulco is a vacation spot for Mexicans too. Nearly half the visitors at our resort were Spanish speaking. Canada made its' presence known also. And of course, we crazy Americans were there, too. It was a nice mix!
Entertainment. We're not into the nightly shows, so I can't help you there.
YES, we would consider going back, but we enjoy trying out new areas. This trip more than any other to Mexico made us realize how different one area can be from another. Talked to 3 different couple there that had spent part of the trip at Dreams and part at Secrets. All 3 liked Secrets better.
Lastly, the group on our plane (Chicago to STL to Huatulco) were so very nice. Most of us knew each other quite a bit better after this trip. Cheers, to all, if you're reading!!!!

Room Tip: we had the cheapest (junior suite). Ocean view!!! No idea why one would upgrade here.
3 Thank MikeInSTL
Houston
Reviewed 18 May 2013

This was our second trip to the Huatulco area. We still love it. Secrets was a good choice for us this trip.

ROOMS: Were very nice. Large and plenty of storage space. Liked the do not disturb light but wished they had a "clean the room" light as well. Maid service was hard to predict. Our room was never cleaned at a predictable time. Varied from as early as 11 am to as late as 5 pm. They do a good job cleaning though. Mini fridge was kept stocked. (We were on 3rd floor of Building B (3). Great views)

POOLS/BEACH: Was beautiful. They really do need to address some pool maintenance items though. Should be cleaned more often and it's amazing there are missing tiles on a pool this new (less than 2 years). Beach is gorgeous and plenty of space to walk.

ACTIVITIES: Could be improved. Not much going on but hotel was at very low occupancy while we were there. We generally don't care much about organized activities at all-inclusives but still think Iberostar and Club Med do the best job.

STAFF: Hit and miss. Really partially our fault since our Spanish skills are poor at best. Everyone was friendly.

FOOD: For the most part good. We liked Oceana (seafood), Bordeaux, Spice, Castaways and Market Cafe. Tamarindo wasn't to our liking at all which was disappointing since it was the Mexican restaurant. We missed the Italian restaurant during our stay due to bad planning on our part. Market Cafe (buffet) could be a little one note. The theme nights in the courtyard were good.

BARS: Were okay. Generally good service. The gentleman at the lobby bar made the best drinks (especially Margaritas)

SPA: Wonderful! Don't miss the hydrotherapy pool. We generally don't do a lot of spa activities but would go to this one again in a heartbeat.

HUATULCO Area: Don't miss going into Santa Rosa and LaCrucita (sp?) We planned all our excursions ourselves and recommend Hurricane Divers for snorkeling and diving. We also toured with Adelino (recommended by Hurricane Divers) to Puerto Escondido and Ventanillo Beach/Crocodile/Turtle/Preservation lagoon (lots of fun).

We are planning a return trip to Huatulco in December and will most likely return to Secrets. We prefer adults only resorts when they are available.

Room Tip: Some of the jacuzzi rooms have no views. The third floor of most buildings have the best views.
1 Thank J J B
Michigan
Reviewed 16 May 2013

My husband and I visited in mid April and had a wonderful relaxing vacation. We have been to Caribbean islands, but never to Mexico. I didn't want to go to Cancun or Cozumel and stumbled onto Huatulco while perusing the Apple Vacations website. This was only our second time going to an all inclusive resort and we had a great time. It was very relaxing.

We arrived on a Saturday (direct flight from O'Hare-perfect!). Our room was 1208, it had a phenomenal view of the bay, almost directly in the center. It wasn't far to walk to most of the restaurants and it was a little hike to the pool and beach, but not bad at all really. We walked up the hill after we would visit the pool for a little exercise. The room was nice, had a great balcony to sit on and admire the view. We didn't get a swim up room and I'm glad because I'm not social enough to want to share the pool in front of my room with strangers or have them swim by my room either. I had some concerns about the "see through" bathroom door, but it wasn't a big deal at all. The toilet area has a partially frosted glass door but you can only see it if you standing right there. If your significant other is in the bedroom, don't worry, they can't see you using the bathroom. I would just tell my husband-hey I'm in here, don't leave the bedroom!

The pool was great-we spend a few days just sitting poolside all day reading. We sat at the end of the pool nearest to the Oceana restaurant. It was quiet and the pool service was great. They almost always remembered what we were drinking. We did tip, we alternated between pesos and American dollars (because we ran out of pesos at the end of the trip). The front desk would exchange money for you. And if nobody was there poolside to take orders, we just walked up to the bar and ordered drinks. Not a big deal. We stayed away from the swim up bar though, it was a little much.

The restaurants were mostly good. We had breakfast daily at the Market Cafe--just a buffet, but we could get our fruit and a danish and they had great coffee.

Lunches were at the buffet or Castaways. We tried the poolside bar once, but it just wasn't very good (hot dogs, burgers). Castaways had great chicken tacos. The Market Cafe had quite a variety of foods for lunch.

We had dinner at Oceana once, the view was awesome and the food was great. Hubby had the steak and I had shrimp. We had dinner two times at Spice. The first time it was fantastic. I had decided that's the only place I wanted to have dinner. Until I had it a second night. It was like it wasn't even the same place. The service was horrific and the food equally as bad. We literally left our meals at the table and went to our room to order room service (soup and a sandwich and it was pretty darn good for room service!) The food at Cin Cin was alright, but pretty bland for Italian food. I had the chicken parm and it was awfully dry. Our favorite was definitely Tamarindo. We shared a Oaxacan platter, which had cheeses and meats. Hubby had a burrito and I had the pork tacos. Fantastic! The only food that compared was the one night they had a Mexican buffet in the courtyard.

The ocean was rough in the bay, there were a few red flag days and a couple blue (jellyfish had moved in). We did like to walk the beach (we both wore sandals)-I heard people complain about the sand, but hey, it's sand and it's hot, what can you say? It was a nice walk to take in the morning and evening. We got some great photos down by the rocks.

We did book a jet ski tour of the bays through Apple and it was worth every penny! Our tour guides name was Luis and he did a great job. He let us stop to swim in some bays, we stopped in a bay for a beer and we snorkeled in another bay. The tour was 3 hours, I think. We had so much fun, I wish we could have gone twice, but we waited until almost our last day of vacation to go.

A couple things I didn't like--the bed was really hard. I'm not a picky sleeper, but one night I did tell my husband I was thinking about taking cushions from the furniture in the lobby and sleeping on those! I was glad to get back to my own bed. Also, they did not have Captain Morgan at the resort. I wish we would have been able to swim in the bay, but the water was so rough at times, it would have been more trouble than fun!

We didn't go off the resort much, this vacation was about relaxing and doing nothing and Secrets Hautulco was perfect!

Room Tip: We had room 1208--great view, quiet. Short walk to the restaurants, longer walk to the pools and bea...
Columbus, OH
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Visited Huatulco third week of April 2013 with my husband and another couple. First time to Huatulco and can say wholeheartedly we loved the area. La Crucecita is well worth a visit.
Very small airport. Through customs and in our room within an hour. Placed in building 1 which was the top building off the lobby on the far end of building which at first put us off as we wanted to be closer to the action however we came to love it and honestly I think the view from that upper building was probably one of the best in the resort. There is really no bad view at this place.
Well appointed room with nice walk in shower, fluffy robes and comfy bed.

We have stayed twice at Secrets Maroma and all week we tried to compare to determine which one we preferred. At first thought Maroma however the place really grew on me and I did like the layout of this place better than Maroma although the beach was red flag the whole time we were there and the beauty of the beach is just different.

Service was good to very good. Favorite meal was probably the teppanyaki table and we also did Italian several times. Really enjoyed the Mexican as well. I loved the iced coffee at the Coco Cafe and would grab one every morning before heading to the beach. Would give the food a 7 for AI food. Some good items but others just so-so.

Always found a seat at pool or beach no matter time of day. Lots of pool space with three separate pool areas for active versus quiet. Good service at pool bar. Not overly impressed with animation staff. Didn't go to any entertainment at night as we were usually ready for bed by ten.

Our return flight got cancelled due to a problem with the plane meaning the airline put everyone up overnight at a hotel near La Crucecita. We were really lucky and got them to put us on alternate flights but still didn't get home until 24 hours later.

So in short, had a great time, loved the place, would go back again however due to limited flights and cost of them, probably won't be back until there is more flight availability. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this Secrets to anyone however. Not perfect but very good value for the dollar.

3 Thank Go-OSUBucks
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 13 May 2013

My wife and I love going to Mexico, but we wanted to find a new place. Huatulco it was. We have been to the dreams resort in Tulum, so we trusted AMResorts and ended up at Secrets. We could not have been happier with this experience.

We stayed from 5/4 - 5/11. We are fairly active people, so we typically engage in whatever activities the resorts offer. The entertainment staff at Secrets, while very under-staffed, we're flat out amazing. I could not give enough praise to the jobs that Lucia, Fabiola, Daniel, and Ismael did. They always had a smile, a funny comment, a game to play, a conversation to have.....I could go on and on, but they were amazing!

The resort is clean and set up very well to funnel people in to the hot spots at night. It is situated on a completely secluded bay, so if you don't want to see another resort, you won't have to. A lot of people complain about the sand on trip advisor, but c'mon people, it's a beach! Yes, there are some crushed shells, the sand is a bit coarse compared to Caribbean locations, but this is not a Caribbean location. This is the pacific ocean! And it is not as bad as most people have stated. I played sand volleyball most days while there and never received a cut or scrape (I dive around a lot when I play).

The restaurants were great! The wait staff, especially Eden, we're great. The bars were always accessible and the bartenders (Armando at Marlin and Adan at Desires) were always quick, always friendly, and always knew how to make a drink.

If you are thinking of a trip to Huatulco, Secrets is more than worth it!

Room Tip: We were in building 1 near the lobby. This may not seem like the best, but we were very close to al...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you very much for your message. We are pleased to know that you liked our service and installations, and we appreciate that you are sharing it through our Trip Advisor account.

We hope you will have the opportunity to come back again to our resort.

Best regards,

Aurelien Pichereau
General Manager Assistant of the Hotel
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2013

My husband and I visited Secrets Huatulco in mid April 2013 and we loved it! We have been to other Secrets before and have always been impressed. The rooms were very clean, the grounds were spotless and the view of the beach from our balcony were breathtaking. We loved walking on the beach everyday and loved exploring the secret beach to the left of the resort. The beach was too rough for swimming, but we were happy swimming in the pools and watching the waves and wonderful scenery at the beach.

The food was amazing, we are both big food people and we especially liked the French and Italian restaurants; the food was awesome! I loved the lobster bisque, mussels, and the duck! At the Italian restaurant the chicken parm and lasagne were great as well as the shrimp pasta. We also ordered room service one night which was nice.

I cannot say how wonderful the staff were there, we felt like royalty; they were the kindest and hardest working people, truly amazing. A special mention to Abraham who made the best cheeseburgers at the beach grill as well as Moises who always brought us wonderful drinks. From the buffet Othello and Magdelena were so attentive and sweet. Lastly, the entertainment team was so great, Lucia, Daniel, and Fabiola tried so hard to help people have a great time and I really enjoyed doing the water aerobics daily. I even lost my camera and later found out it was Fabiola who returned it to the lost and found.

Overall it was a great vacation, we were so relaxed and had the best time, we cant wait to come back!!!!!!!!!