We travelled to Secrets Huatulco March 22- April 5.
For the first time in our lives, we had bought a package with transfers and were worried about a busload of guests arriving at once instead of the two of us in a taxi. The staff handled it with great ease so that our check-in took less than 15 minutes. Within a half hour, we were by the pool in our swim suits.
The room we got was on the 3rd floor of building 6 and was perfect except for the 2 double beds instead of a king. We could've asked for a change but loved the location so we stayed with it. It was a good size and was clean which is all we ask for, not spending any time there except for sleeping and showering.
The pools are huge for a 399 rooms hotel and with the spring heat, we understood why fast enough. With the temperatures is the 30s (90s F) at 7 a.m. we got to spend a lot of time in the water. It is too bad that it isn't more clear to some guests that there is an activities pool and a tranquility pool, some people complaining about the music during aérobics or volleyball games.
In all AM resorts we visited, this was made clear and you wouldn't get a senior sitting in front of a speaker complaining about the music (the Entertainment team had to penalize 30 ball players and watchers who wanted music to accomodate one person that sat at the wrong pool). The hotel should better identify the pools as tranquil and active thus avoiding pleasing no one by trying to please everyone.
The beach is beautiful but the sand is coarser than some other beaches but that has nothing to do with the resort, it is nature...Also, few people seem to know that in Mexico, the beaches all are federal properties, and that resorts cannot build or install anything past their property line. We read complaints about the little hill in front of the hotel but it isn't on hotel property and it is easy to walk around it to a less steep path.
Being there 2 weeks, we tried all restaurants more than once and although the Tamarindo was our favorite, they were all very good. The steaks at Castaways were huge, enough to feed a family of 4. The pasta and risottos at Cin-Cin were very tasty, the sea food at Oceana was delicious. We went to Market café every day for breakfast and lunch and the variety of choices was enough not to get bored eating the same thing all the time. With a few exceptions (that were sometimes due to personal taste) we ate very well for those two weeks.
The nightly entertainment was not great the first week because the theater was under renovations and they only had a small stage installed at the plaza. On our second week, the theater reopened and we got the full productions. The dance troop is very professional and the shows they created are highly entertaining. The only problem we had with Entertainment is that there isn't any after 10:30. There is Desires, a bar without a dance floor, so we could sit there and have a drink but it would have been nice to dance at least once on our vacation.
The staff at this hotel is the nicest and most attentive you can hope for, always asking if there is anything more they can do. Whenever we had a request, it was met immediately, with a smile.
All in all, we had a great vacation, and the only reason this resort didn't score a five was the lack of Wi-Fi, only available at the Sky bar and extremely slow....which is a no-no in 2014. This should be a top priority for the hotel. Also, not keeping Tequila anejo in a mexican resort, is strange, all others Secrets visited had it, even outside Mexico.
Special thanks to:
Dulce at Sky bar, cute and sweet as can be
Sofia at Market Café, listening to all the guests' stories, boring or not....
Salvador at the pool, we missed you on your days off
The entertainement team, Miguel, Fabiola, Maia, Amanda, Alex & Victor, who made us feel like family alhough they had to deal with the stress of a new boss...they all work so hard for us all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The enchanting Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa sits on the Pacific coast in Huatulco - a sustainable tourism destination recognized for its commitment to the local environment. Beautifully secluded on the Conejos Bay, guests at Secrets Huatulco are treated to divine views of golden sand beaches, stunning rock formations and sapphire waters. Exclusive Unlimited-Luxury(R) amenities start with limitless gourmet fare and top-shelf spirits, pool and beach wait service, and 24-hour room and concierge services. While 399 gorgeous suites offer daily refreshed mini-bar, spectacular views, plus a furnished balcony, terrace Jacuzzi, or swim-out pool access. Take part in daily activities and nightly entertainment, or a pampering treatment at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia. Guests can even spend a night out with the Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience at the nearby Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa, to enjoy more fine dining and entertainment. Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa - Enchanting. Secluded. Divine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Huatulco Resort And Spa
- Secrets Huatulco Hotel Huatulco