“Amazing service, view and overall experience”

Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My husband and I just spent a week here (end of June) to celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary. We were both very impressed with this resort. The resort was pretty quiet overall and seemed to mostly be couples 30s-60s. I would not go here if you are looking for a major party resort, but if you want a peaceful and romantic getaway this is perfect.

Rooms: LOVED. We were in room 3315. I believe all rooms at this resort have a stunning ocean view. Room was clean, bed was super comfy. There is a safe, closet, separate jetted tub and shower, balcony, little sitting/eating area, double sinks, and a large desk. iPod docking station/clock. Yes the doors to the shower/tub and the toilet are partially frosted glass, didn't bother my hubby and myself but might if you go with friends or family. Though this seemed to mostly be a couples resort.

Location: Isolated but not far from many attractions. This resort has plenty of taxis and they are pretty inexpensive. In USD, cab to Playa Entrega was 12.00 each way, 6.00 to La Crucecita, and 4.00 to La Bocana and the mud baths. Few beach vendors at the resort but not overwhelming. Only downside of location was on the way to and from the resort there was a pretty bad sewer smell.

Beach: Some days the beach was a beautiful green and others it was kind of brownish. I think there is a river nearby that drains into the ocean. We went swimming in it one day and it was nice. There is a roped off area to swim that doesn't have as many rocks. The sand as people have said is pretty coarse and HOT. Def. wear your flip flops. We had no issue getting palapas, but we were there in low season and I'm guessing resort was only 30-40% full.

Pools: Huge and nice swim up bar and views out to the cliffs and beach. One again, low season so very uncrowded and no trouble at all getting a chair and umbrella. Beach towel pickup and drop off is available near the pools.

Restaurants: Food overall was pretty good especially for an all inclusive. During low season they only had 2-3 of the restaurants open each night, but we still didn't have a wait any night except for at the Italian. They did two themed nights at the buffett- one night was Mexican and one Brazilian. Also tried the Asian, Seafood, French, Mexican restaurants. Market Cafe buffett for lunch and breakfast was also decent overall. I've had better buffets at all inclusives but wasn't bad. Castaways for lunch a la carte had stunning views and pretty good food.

Service: Def. 5 star. I think this resort wins for best customer service. Super friendly staff always trying to go out of their way to help you. Maid did a great job, all our servers were awesome, lobby staff was great. Also did turn down service in the evenings. Kudos to Secrets in this dept. The friendliness really makes a vacation that much better. Some workers spoke more English than others, but me trying to talk in the little Spanish I knew meant a lot to them.

Spa: LOVED. The view from the massage rooms and the infinity pool is stunning. We did the hydrotherapy (different massage stations in the pool, sauna, steam room, cold showers) and a 50 min. couples massage. They were doing a vacation club thing that if you attended most 50 min. treatments were only $40. If you are probably going to be in the spa a lot it is probably worth your while. They are doing pretty steep discounts because of low season on its own, like 40-50% off. I think they want people to experience the spa and spread the word. And yes I am spreading the word and thought the spa was stellar. Other guests we chatted with also loved the spa.

Overall and tips: I know not related to the hotel but everyone asks about the weather. It said 50-60% chance of rain everyday and it didn't really rain the whole week we were there. Overcast on and off but was kind of a relief from the sun. Bring sunscreen and aloe. Super expensive at resort. I wore 70spf every two hours and still got burned on a snorkel tour. Aloe was 17.00 US at the hotel. The mosquitos were also brutal. This is not the hotel's fault and it was rainy season, but ya they were def. out. Wore Off with Deet most times and still got a few bites. When wasn't wearing it got eaten alive. The hotel was bringing spray to people during the outdoor Brazilian dinner night.

We had our package here through Apple Vacations using them for the first time. We were very impressed and would go back again. Huatulco is quite a gem and I'll be surprised if it stays hidden for long. If Cancun and Cabo etc. are too overdeveloped for you, give Huatulco a chance. I also felt VERY safe in this area. We were in downtown at 10:30 at night and it was mostly families walking around and hanging out.

5  Thank travelinteacher1282
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

It was our pleasure to have the opportunity to host your holidays. I am glad to know how much you enjoyed spending time at our hotel and spa highlighted by our staff’s attentiveness. Our mission is to create memories by exceeding our guests expectations and I'm very pleased to read that we accomplished this goal during your stay. I look forward to welcome you back in the near future and provide you another incredible experience.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife and I treated ourselves to a week at this resort for our 25th anniversary. The view and the accomodations were outstanding. We had a swim-out room whcih we used each day, a great addition! The staff is excellent, housekeeping did a great job and Jose and Marvella, from the Barracuda Bar were always available for drinks from the bar. The entertainment staff works very hard and tries to involve all the guests. Special shout-outs for Miguel and Faviola! Although we were pleased with the overall vacation, there were several disappointments. The food was ok, but not great. We expected an abundance of seafood items, but they were very few seafood entrees. The beach, due to the rough surf and riptides was dangerous and unusable, which was also a major disappointment.

Overall very nice resort; however the quality of the food and inability to swim in the ocean were major disappointment.

Room Tip: Although more expensive, the swim-out rooms are well worth it
1  Thank Mark C
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear guest,

We appreciate your message, it is very important for us to receive a feedback from our guests; in order to take measures to improve our services, when needed.

In this frame, let me assure you that we will take in account your comments.

We hope to welcome you back at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa. Please don´t hesitate to contact us if you come back, and have a special request for your future stay.

Aurélien Pichereau

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We are sitting in MEX on a layover, heading home from this resort. We had a wonderful time. The resort was not crowded. Maybe 30-50% full? That added to our enjoyment. We upgraded to preferred, but don't bother -- unless you want the jacuzzi, which we didn't. It was too hot.

Room was great. If you're not close to you partner, you'll find a lack of privacy, but being married 19 years, this was not an issue. Room service was fast. Daily maid service was great, and the room was spotless upon our return. Bar was refilled, and all was good.

Pool. We spent our week poolside. Everyday, same chairs, same place -- right by the swim-up bar. The employees were fantastic. Margarita took such good care of us, it was unbelievable. She went out of her way to make sure we always had everything we needed. Secrets needs 200 of her. Speaking of awesome, the activity staff was fantastic. Tricky Mickey was a hoot (that's Southern for a lot of fun). Had a blast with them.

Food. It was good, but not out of this world. We would not complain. Oceans was our favorite, followed by Cin Cin. Didn't care for the Mexican, but hey, it's personal taste and our menu choices that night.

We will probably return next year, if we can get a similar deal.

Enjoy the resort. We did.

2  Thank ehipres
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit this wonderful review! I'm sure this will be very helpful to our guests. I encourage you to keep my contact information and please let me know when you are ready to come home again.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I went to Secrets Huatulco on May 2014, in general the experience was great, as awesome as expected.

The service and every person that works in the hotel does its best to make you feel special, service is one of the highlights of the hotel and the Mexican people, they don't expect to receive a tip but it's recommended.

I need to disclose that on my stay there was also a medical convention so the hotel was at a 100% occupation rate. This affected a lot of the capacity of the restaurants and entertainment staff.

General comments:
Food:
I wanted to go to a luxury all inclusive so I could enjoy great food without going out, this was as expected almost in every meal. The restaurants were good, the French and the Grill one more than the others, however, the quality in the buffet was not that good, I understand that it's a buffet but it could be improved. As the hotel was 100% occupation the lines were big, the food finished early and the waitress and chefs were slow.

My biggest complaint was that it's impossible to get good food at 10:30pm, all restaurants close at 11:00pm but at 10:30pm they start serving, for someone like me that likes to have a nice late night dinner it's a bummer.

Drinks and bars:
The bars had bad music and the drinks were not as good as expected, by phone they told me that they had Johnnie Walker for whiskey but they had JB and Ballantines, not as bad but not as good as advertised. The bars are more aimed at 50year old people.

Entertainment:
I usually don't go to shows but the aquatic sports were cool (kayak).

Rooms:
Great, the bathrooms with glass ceilings leave no intimacy but the rooms feel good quality, the TV is not that good but you do not go to stay at the room watching TV.

Quality and cleanliness:
Perfect, everything feels great except for the lifter that is slow and hot.

Biggest complaint: INTERNET, no wifi in the rooms, can't understand how a luxury hotel does not have internet access all over the place.

Would gladly come back here, Huatulco is the best place to relax.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank luisbs7

Dear Luis B,

In this frame, let me assure you that we will take in account your comments.

Aurélien Pichereau

Reviewed 24 June 2014

My husband and I decided to get married at Secrets. We brought a group of 6 and hunkered down for a week of relaxation and sun! The location was beautiful (though hot!) and the staff was very nice, accommodating and attentive. Everyone seemed happy and the service was impeccable. The location is also beautiful, in the middle of the Huatulco bays.
Ivonne, the wedding planner was great and really helped us have our dream wedding/elopement! I was very concerned about how to make the wedding work with so few people but everything turned out beautifully and she was very helpful and accommodating, calming me down when needed...room service was also awesome, bringing us a bottle of sparkling wine while we got ready!
The food at the resort was very good, with our favorites being Tamarindo for a taste of authentic Oaxacan food, Cin Cin with pastas, steaks and risottos (our favorite of the offerings), Bordeaux with some classic french dishes (the best IMO was the duck), Oceana with grilled seafood and steak dishes (here the aguachile and the steak were the standout dishes), Spice (japanese steakhouse...i didn’t really like this one but also don’t really like tepanyaki so this may be why), and Castaways (daily grill, guacamole is the best!! ever and their salmon was really stellar.) Another favorite of the group was ROOM SERVICE!! at any time and we took advantage of this a lot! I especially liked the burger, club sandwich and continental breakfast with Oaxacan hot chocolate.
The maids were also great, coming by 2ce daily to make and turn down the beds...only complaint here is that they leave the door open when they clean, letting in hoards of mosquitos and biting insects that dive bomb you while you sleep...
The Pools were all beautiful and we especially enjoyed the swim out bar and the pool at our room (We had a swim out suite). The other 2 rooms in the party had hot tub rooms and I don’t really think they used these since it was so darn hot! Also loved the jetted bath tub...heaven!
The location is remote, with La Bocana (really small beach town w 2 restaurants and mud baths) within walking distance and La Crucecita (very small touristy town) being a $6 cab drive away. We also took a taxi an hour away to Pochutla at a cost of around $80 US for 2 cabs…not a place I would recommend due to lack of facilities; though if you are looking to have some culture shock this may be the place for you…Not far from Pochutla was Mazute and this was a beautiful beach, filled with south American backpackers and had a very hippie vibe.
We would definitely recommend this resort for anyone looking to rest and relax for the week. I would not come here if you are trying to explore as the location is remote and there is not public transportation to/from the resort and nearby cities. I am glad I went, felt safe and had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: we stayed in a swim-out suite in building 5 and would recommend this
3  Thank Julia K
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Guest,

We thank you very much for your message. We are pleased to know that you liked our service and installations, and we appreciate that you are sharing it through our Trip Advisor account.

We hope you will have the opportunity to come back again to our resort.

General Manager Assistant of the Hotel

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We just got back from a week at Secrets Huatulco on June 21st. It is their down season so the resort was empty and quiet. During this time, there were no problems with chairs and umbrellas. If you want to guarantee yourself with shade and chairs during the busy season then I would suggest upgrading to a Swim Out room. We had a swim out room and it was great and has partial shade. The service was great! they provided very good and helpful service and we did not have any problems. The resort is beautiful and well maintained. We did the waterfall excursion with the coffee farm and it was a very good excursion. We did find that their was an excursion for the temple ruins that you could pay for as well, but we found out it was a short taxi ride from the resort with a very cheap entry fee so we went to the ruins on our own. There were no problems. I would suggest taking some type of mosquito spray with you for the trip!!! The food was great on the resort and the drinks were great as well. There were a lot of top shelf alcohol if you asked for it. Another thing that I usually do is take about a hundred dollars in 1's with me to tip the waiters and bar staff. It goes a long way to give them a dollar here and there for their service. Due to this, they were bringing us drinks on a constant basis at the pools and swim out room area.

The only negatives I found on this trip were: the wifi is very weak at the resort and you pretty much have to be at the Sky Car in order to pick up good internet. The other is that due to this being their slow time, there were only a couple of restaurants opened each night which limited your choices. It did not affect me, but i could see that it would for a very picky eater. Other than that, this was a Great Week at secrets Huatulco. This is deffinitely a place to go again.

Room Tip: SWIM UP Room in building five or building six
5  Thank TH280
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear TH280,

First of all let me thank you for your message and staying at our resort in your past vacations.

Let me assure you that your feedback is very important and that we will take in account your comments; since our mission is to offer the best quality service to our guests.

It has been our pleasure to attend you in Secrets and we hope to see you again.

We wish you a pleasant day and week,

Best regards.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

In general I would recomend the hotel. It has a great location and has its own bay in Huatulco where you could loan snorkeling equipment, kayak and other water related thing. The staff was extremly helpfull and always very welcoming.
The breakfast and drinks are great but the food in general is just ok (maybe I was just unlucky with my plates).
The rooms are very nice and have a nice size, the beds are VERY comfortable. BUT there is something wrong with the arquitecture, there are lightswitches EVERYWHERE and I also generally don't like the AC so I turn it off but if you open and close the door from the balcony it turns back on so it is a little irritating. The same thing with the shower, some of the water flows out into the room and everything gets wet.
In general I do recomend the hotel and you will get a good rest!

1  Thank mab333

Dear guest :

It has been our pleasure to attend you in Secrets and we hope to see you again.

We wish you a pleasant day and week,