My husband and I just spent a week here (end of June) to celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary. We were both very impressed with this resort. The resort was pretty quiet overall and seemed to mostly be couples 30s-60s. I would not go here if you are looking for a major party resort, but if you want a peaceful and romantic getaway this is perfect.
Rooms: LOVED. We were in room 3315. I believe all rooms at this resort have a stunning ocean view. Room was clean, bed was super comfy. There is a safe, closet, separate jetted tub and shower, balcony, little sitting/eating area, double sinks, and a large desk. iPod docking station/clock. Yes the doors to the shower/tub and the toilet are partially frosted glass, didn't bother my hubby and myself but might if you go with friends or family. Though this seemed to mostly be a couples resort.
Location: Isolated but not far from many attractions. This resort has plenty of taxis and they are pretty inexpensive. In USD, cab to Playa Entrega was 12.00 each way, 6.00 to La Crucecita, and 4.00 to La Bocana and the mud baths. Few beach vendors at the resort but not overwhelming. Only downside of location was on the way to and from the resort there was a pretty bad sewer smell.
Beach: Some days the beach was a beautiful green and others it was kind of brownish. I think there is a river nearby that drains into the ocean. We went swimming in it one day and it was nice. There is a roped off area to swim that doesn't have as many rocks. The sand as people have said is pretty coarse and HOT. Def. wear your flip flops. We had no issue getting palapas, but we were there in low season and I'm guessing resort was only 30-40% full.
Pools: Huge and nice swim up bar and views out to the cliffs and beach. One again, low season so very uncrowded and no trouble at all getting a chair and umbrella. Beach towel pickup and drop off is available near the pools.
Restaurants: Food overall was pretty good especially for an all inclusive. During low season they only had 2-3 of the restaurants open each night, but we still didn't have a wait any night except for at the Italian. They did two themed nights at the buffett- one night was Mexican and one Brazilian. Also tried the Asian, Seafood, French, Mexican restaurants. Market Cafe buffett for lunch and breakfast was also decent overall. I've had better buffets at all inclusives but wasn't bad. Castaways for lunch a la carte had stunning views and pretty good food.
Service: Def. 5 star. I think this resort wins for best customer service. Super friendly staff always trying to go out of their way to help you. Maid did a great job, all our servers were awesome, lobby staff was great. Also did turn down service in the evenings. Kudos to Secrets in this dept. The friendliness really makes a vacation that much better. Some workers spoke more English than others, but me trying to talk in the little Spanish I knew meant a lot to them.
Spa: LOVED. The view from the massage rooms and the infinity pool is stunning. We did the hydrotherapy (different massage stations in the pool, sauna, steam room, cold showers) and a 50 min. couples massage. They were doing a vacation club thing that if you attended most 50 min. treatments were only $40. If you are probably going to be in the spa a lot it is probably worth your while. They are doing pretty steep discounts because of low season on its own, like 40-50% off. I think they want people to experience the spa and spread the word. And yes I am spreading the word and thought the spa was stellar. Other guests we chatted with also loved the spa.
Overall and tips: I know not related to the hotel but everyone asks about the weather. It said 50-60% chance of rain everyday and it didn't really rain the whole week we were there. Overcast on and off but was kind of a relief from the sun. Bring sunscreen and aloe. Super expensive at resort. I wore 70spf every two hours and still got burned on a snorkel tour. Aloe was 17.00 US at the hotel. The mosquitos were also brutal. This is not the hotel's fault and it was rainy season, but ya they were def. out. Wore Off with Deet most times and still got a few bites. When wasn't wearing it got eaten alive. The hotel was bringing spray to people during the outdoor Brazilian dinner night.
We had our package here through Apple Vacations using them for the first time. We were very impressed and would go back again. Huatulco is quite a gem and I'll be surprised if it stays hidden for long. If Cancun and Cabo etc. are too overdeveloped for you, give Huatulco a chance. I also felt VERY safe in this area. We were in downtown at 10:30 at night and it was mostly families walking around and hanging out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The enchanting Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa sits on the Pacific coast in Huatulco - a sustainable tourism destination recognized for its commitment to the local environment. Beautifully secluded on the Conejos Bay, guests at Secrets Huatulco are treated to divine views of golden sand beaches, stunning rock formations and sapphire waters. Exclusive Unlimited-Luxury(R) amenities start with limitless gourmet fare and top-shelf spirits, pool and beach wait service, and 24-hour room and concierge services. While 399 gorgeous suites offer daily refreshed mini-bar, spectacular views, plus a furnished balcony, terrace Jacuzzi, or swim-out pool access. Take part in daily activities and nightly entertainment, or a pampering treatment at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia. Guests can even spend a night out with the Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience at the nearby Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa, to enjoy more fine dining and entertainment. Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa - Enchanting. Secluded. Divine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Huatulco Resort And Spa
- Secrets Huatulco Hotel Huatulco