My husband and I stayed at Secrets Huatulco for one week. We chose this resort based on past trips we have enjoyed at other Secrets properties (Silversands and Maroma). We also liked the look of Secrets Huatulco due to its secluded and quiet location. We were not at all disappointed with the design or location of this resort. The design of the resort was exactly as we expected and as seen in pictures online. The natural landscape was beyond our expectations. As for the facilities, we tried all restaurants at least once during our stay. I would not say the food was exceptional or on the same level as other Secrets we have stayed at; however, it was good and always fresh and hot. As with all Secrets resorts, the variety of food was fantastic and covers traditional Mexican, Italian, Japanese and more! The beach is beautiful and we loved taking walks to explore the bay even though the sand is coarse (bring water shoes) and the water is rough. To cool off, the pools are the place to be. We visited during the middle of May and had no issues at all finding pools chairs; however, many guests commented on how busy the pools are during peak seasons. If possible, I would recommend booking a swim-out room by the main pools (buildings 5 or 6) if you are traveling to this resort during a busy time. In these rooms the staff still visits to serve food & drinks just as if you were sitting next to the main pool; however, it is even better since you have your own pool space with guaranteed chairs all day long.
With all the positives, we unfortunately did experience some issues with the check in process and our initial room assignment. I booked a preferred king junior suite swim-out room. Once we arrived at the resort, we were greeted promptly and then escorted to the preferred club. The club is very small which is fine unless several guests whom also booked preferred rooms all try to check in at the same time. This was unfortunately our experience. I am not sure why the staff did not offer “preferred” guests that were trying to check in the option of leaving the club and checking in at a desk in the main lobby where several desks were open. Instead, we had an uncomfortable and hurried check in that was further complicated when we found out the king bed I booked was not available. We received very little explanation and were told we could switch rooms later but did not understand how that process was going to work not to mention the inconvenience factor. When we went to our room, we walked directly to building 1 which is just off the main lobby. This building is very inconvenient as you always have to walk through the lobby and take the stairs or elevator to the floor below in order to then walk to another elevator that eventually gets you to the pool and beach. There was one lobby bar that you could quickly access; however, even all the restaurants were on the floor below. The views from the swim-out rooms in building 1 were not worth the inconvenience to the beach and main pool area. We immediately went back to the lobby (NOT the club) to change rooms. After we received a much better explanation of why our king room was not available (several buildings were closed for maintenance) we were again offered to switch rooms after one day. Upon further explanation of how unhappy we were with building 1 and having 2 double beds, I asked if there were any one-bedroom suites available that we could upgrade to. Again, a missed opportunity by the staff as most resorts offer or mention the possibility of upgrading if your room assignment does not meet your expectations. We ended up paying for the upgrade to a building 5 preferred one-bedroom swim-out suite. This was worth every single dollar and turned our vacation into something pretty spectacular. This room was incredibly spacious with a full living room and dining room plus one and a half baths! Our suite was very clean, quiet, and well appointed. The views of the ocean from our front deck and swim-out pool space was priceless.
I would absolutely recommend this resort for adults looking for a true escape to a private and secluded warm weather beach destination. Bring lots of sunscreen, money for tips, water/beach shoes, an empty stomach and willingness to relax.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The enchanting Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa sits on the Pacific coast in Huatulco - a sustainable tourism destination recognized for its commitment to the local environment. Beautifully secluded on the Conejos Bay, guests at Secrets Huatulco are treated to divine views of golden sand beaches, stunning rock formations and sapphire waters. Exclusive Unlimited-Luxury(R) amenities start with limitless gourmet fare and top-shelf spirits, pool and beach wait service, and 24-hour room and concierge services. While 399 gorgeous suites offer daily refreshed mini-bar, spectacular views, plus a furnished balcony, terrace Jacuzzi, or swim-out pool access. Take part in daily activities and nightly entertainment, or a pampering treatment at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia. Guests can even spend a night out with the Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience at the nearby Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa, to enjoy more fine dining and entertainment. Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa - Enchanting. Secluded. Divine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Huatulco Hotel Huatulco
- Secrets Huatulco Resort And Spa