“Beautiful Secluded Beach Destination”

Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at Secrets Huatulco for one week. We chose this resort based on past trips we have enjoyed at other Secrets properties (Silversands and Maroma). We also liked the look of Secrets Huatulco due to its secluded and quiet location. We were not at all disappointed with the design or location of this resort. The design of the resort was exactly as we expected and as seen in pictures online. The natural landscape was beyond our expectations. As for the facilities, we tried all restaurants at least once during our stay. I would not say the food was exceptional or on the same level as other Secrets we have stayed at; however, it was good and always fresh and hot. As with all Secrets resorts, the variety of food was fantastic and covers traditional Mexican, Italian, Japanese and more! The beach is beautiful and we loved taking walks to explore the bay even though the sand is coarse (bring water shoes) and the water is rough. To cool off, the pools are the place to be. We visited during the middle of May and had no issues at all finding pools chairs; however, many guests commented on how busy the pools are during peak seasons. If possible, I would recommend booking a swim-out room by the main pools (buildings 5 or 6) if you are traveling to this resort during a busy time. In these rooms the staff still visits to serve food & drinks just as if you were sitting next to the main pool; however, it is even better since you have your own pool space with guaranteed chairs all day long.

With all the positives, we unfortunately did experience some issues with the check in process and our initial room assignment. I booked a preferred king junior suite swim-out room. Once we arrived at the resort, we were greeted promptly and then escorted to the preferred club. The club is very small which is fine unless several guests whom also booked preferred rooms all try to check in at the same time. This was unfortunately our experience. I am not sure why the staff did not offer “preferred” guests that were trying to check in the option of leaving the club and checking in at a desk in the main lobby where several desks were open. Instead, we had an uncomfortable and hurried check in that was further complicated when we found out the king bed I booked was not available. We received very little explanation and were told we could switch rooms later but did not understand how that process was going to work not to mention the inconvenience factor. When we went to our room, we walked directly to building 1 which is just off the main lobby. This building is very inconvenient as you always have to walk through the lobby and take the stairs or elevator to the floor below in order to then walk to another elevator that eventually gets you to the pool and beach. There was one lobby bar that you could quickly access; however, even all the restaurants were on the floor below. The views from the swim-out rooms in building 1 were not worth the inconvenience to the beach and main pool area. We immediately went back to the lobby (NOT the club) to change rooms. After we received a much better explanation of why our king room was not available (several buildings were closed for maintenance) we were again offered to switch rooms after one day. Upon further explanation of how unhappy we were with building 1 and having 2 double beds, I asked if there were any one-bedroom suites available that we could upgrade to. Again, a missed opportunity by the staff as most resorts offer or mention the possibility of upgrading if your room assignment does not meet your expectations. We ended up paying for the upgrade to a building 5 preferred one-bedroom swim-out suite. This was worth every single dollar and turned our vacation into something pretty spectacular. This room was incredibly spacious with a full living room and dining room plus one and a half baths! Our suite was very clean, quiet, and well appointed. The views of the ocean from our front deck and swim-out pool space was priceless.

I would absolutely recommend this resort for adults looking for a true escape to a private and secluded warm weather beach destination. Bring lots of sunscreen, money for tips, water/beach shoes, an empty stomach and willingness to relax.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PlayaChicago
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear PlayaChic...:

First of all let me thank you for your message and staying at our resort in your past vacations.

Let me assure you that your feedback is very important and that we will take in account your comments; since our mission is to offer the best quality service to our guests.

It has been our pleasure to attend you in Secrets and we hope to see you again.

We wish you a pleasant day and week,

Best regards.

General Manager Assistant:

It has been our pleasure to attend you in Secrets and we hope to see you again.

We wish you a pleasant day and week,

Best regards.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Everything at Secrets is outstanding, starting from an easy arrival process and later being greeted by very helpful and always cheerful Apple Vacations representative - Mr. Marco. Checking in was a breeze thanks to Mr. Luis - the hotel Concierge, who easily upgraded us and always helped out during our stay. Secrets is a place to stay if you like to relax and enjoy nature, and if you love spending time swimming in the Pacific ocean or its beautiful pools. All rooms are ocean-view and offer great amenities. Resort's own private beach is not only picture-perfect, but offers one of the best swimmable beaches in Huatulco and even the whole Pacific coast. Secrets has great staff, always helpful, and with a genuine smile. One of my favorites was Sophia - a Market café manager who every morning remembered what kind of special smoothie each of us liked and personally brought them to us. Evening entertainment was amazing, the dancers were top notch - very professional. Don't miss great snorkeling, take a boat trip to see picturesque 9 bays within national park, sport fishing, and rafting tour on Copalita river.
There is so much more to see in Huatulco, and I am coming back real soon, but this time I will skip summer month.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nelchik
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to submit this wonderful review! I'm sure this will be very helpful to our guests. I encourage you to keep my contact information and please let me know when you are ready to come home again.

a_gerencia.sechu@secretsresorts.com

Reviewed 26 July 2014

My family and I spent 5 days at Secrets Huatulco. During our stay, we had dinner at their Asian restaurant. While eating we noticed that the couple behind us was upset and walked out. As they left they told us that a roach was near their sitting area. Since the resort is surrounded by jungle we understood that a roach would likely have come into the resort. We continued with our meal until a fumigator walked in. We asked the restaurant's manager not to spray while we ate. However he ignored our request and continued with the fumigation because he claimed that the spray was organic. We walked out of the restaurant and immediately spoke to the general manager. She advised us that this was a terrible incident that should not have occurred. Since we were exposed to chemicals, our only request was that we be told what chemicals we were exposed to. Margarita, the general manager, said that she would be willing to assist us with this. After two other visits with her and an email, the company has still refused to let us know what chemicals we were exposed.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Christine C
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

The Hotel was nice, check in smooth, rooms nice , however humid as Hell :-( tons of bugs , rainy season , never rained one day :-)
Mosquitos Galore
Bee"s Galore ,came home in pain
Please don't go rainy season if they give it away !!!!!
Employees wonderful , service wonderful !
Just saying
Super humid and gross in July
Attacking bugs Galore

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Ginatalton
Sechu EConcierg... A, Asistente de Gerencia General del Hotel at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Ginatalto...,

We thank you very much for your message, it is very important for our Hotel to receive the feedback of our guests.

In this frame, we are sorry to know that you didn´t completely enjoy your stay, because of mosquitos and bugs.

We ensure you that we have a specific program to fumigate the hotel (the product for fumigation is biodegradable and is not unhealthy).

However, despite of it, as for the ubication of the Hotel and especially in rainy season we use to have fauna and flora inside the Hotel.

Regards,

Aurélien Pichereau
General Manager Assistant of the Hotel

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We were upgraded to Secrets and loved every minute of it. The resort itself is a wonderful place.
There was a mix up on Apples side when we arrived, but the concierge at Secrets went above what he needed to do on site, separate from Apple, to provide many of the missing amenities. He didn't have to, dealt with my blunt and vocal unhappiness with the situation, and still provided on his own accord. Which is representative of the common reviews regarding service: excellent. From maid to room to bar to restaurant service, it is the top quality of this resort. Nice people, forward thinking, and responsive.
The food was good, in my opinion. Yes, not everything was great. But, as with any large scale operation, choose wisely. Plainly a waffle in a buffet in Mexico won't be the same as at home. A fresh omelet or rib eye will do you right. And it did. The soups were consistently excellent, the flank steak via room service to die for in the middle of the night, and that fresh hamburger in the middle of the afternoon on the beach after some drink/sun/sand... Alcohol was premium. I prefer Modelo over other Mexican beer and when I can drink Don Julio whenever I would like, oh, and 12 year Havana Club rum, I am a happy man.
The beach is beautiful. Sand is hot as said earlier and coarse. Pretty much a granite based beach me thinks. The water is warm and fun to swim in, snorkeling a bit tough. There are fish such as tangs and damsels, blennies and wrasse, and in numbers at the far left point. I brought rubber lined gardening gloves to be able to control myself with the waves and current issues (just go with the flow, be aware of where you are in relation to the rocks, and be able to reach out safely). I had a good time, personally. It was like a cross between California's Central Coast and Hawaii's Pacific. A specific type of familiar coral, familiar fish, with a taste of both spots. Just a taste. Interesting. And if you walk to the next bay over, there is a small blow hole.
We did go out for a fishing trip, which is a must if you are there. We caught a storm and had to return after catching a Bonita (which was served at the tepanyaki restaurant that night) but others caught multiple sailfish and Dorado. Truly, a must.
The pools were nice as you can see from the pics. The room was on the first level with the outdoor jacuzzi. Great view and great shower and tub. Nice overall and no complaints, only smiles.
Overall, Secrets has great staff, solid rooms and amenities, the best beach Huatulco has to offer for the resorts, and is easily recommended for couples.
Enjoy.

Room Tip: All have ocean view. Jacuzzi is outside and tub type where you turn on the faucet. The swim up roo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bigwavejames
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed at Secrets Huatulco for 7 nights in July. Check-in was a breeze. We upgraded to a swim out suite and really enjoyed having a pool right outside our door. The room was very clean and spacious and the A/C worked great.
All the staff was friendly and attentive. The staff at the Marlin Bar was the best. After the 2nd day we were there, they quickly found out what kind of beer we preferred and on the 3rd day we had a bucket full sitting on ice for us. We made sure to tip everyone. The staff works very hard to make your stay enjoyable and tips go a long way.
The restaurants were very good. They had a good amount of options at each restaurant. We only had one issue at Spice where the waiter didn't seem familiar with the menu. We ended up receiving dishes we didn't order even after I ordered in Spanish and pointed to the item I wanted. Our favorite restaurant was Cin Cin for Italian food.
Desires was their dance lounge. It was a fun way to cap off the night, but it would be nice if they had a better music selection playing.
The only small complaint we have is about the elevators. They are very slow and have no A/C so it gets really hot going to the majority of the restaurants since they are all on the upper floor.
We went during the off peak season so the hotel was not crowded, but I can see how much worse the elevator situation would be when the hotel is at full capacity. We had no issues finding shaded lounge chairs by the pool or on the beach, but again, I can see how this can be a problem when capacity is at a high. It would be nice if they invested in more umbrellas so that there is more shade available for all guests.
Overall this was a great hotel and we definitely have plans to stay here again.

Room Tip: Swim-out rooms were worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jessc2078
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear guest,

a_gerencia.sechu@secretsresorts.com

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Just spent 8 days at Secrets, where I met relatives for our yearly get-together. While having dinner at Spice Restaurant, we noticed some commotion at the next table and saw the couple sitting there at the time walked out. We inquired about the reason why they had left without finishing their dinner. We were told that a big roach was under their table. Being that we were in the middle of the jungle, we didn't think much of it and stayed. We saw how an employee seemed to have stepped on the roach and killed it. As we continued to eat our dinner and ignore the incident, we noticed that an exterminator walked in through the door, ready to fumigate underneath the table next to ours. I asked the manager if they could wait until we finished our dinner to spray, but he refused-claiming that the product was organic. Needless to say, we walked out as the area was being sprayed. We immediately proceed to complaint to the manager in turn, Margarita [---]. She apologized and promised to look into the incident and provide us with a list of ingredients contained in the solution we had just been exposed to. We spoke with Margarita a total of two times after that and a few more times with her assistant, Luis [---] and got nothing but excuses as to why the list of ingredients could not be given to us. As a person who suffers with migraines, it is very important to me to know what I was exposed to, but unfortunately they were not willing to share the information.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank Florina C
Sechu EConcierg... A, General Manager Assistant at Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Florina C,

We thank you very much for sharing us this message, it is very important for the hotel to have the feedback of our guests.

In this frame, we are truly sorry again about what happened at the Spice restaurant.

We can ensure you that the products that we are using to fumigate are biodegradable and they are guarenteed by Rainforest Alliance (http://www.rainforest-alliance.org/es) and Cristal Check Safety First (http://www.checksafetyfirst.com/).

I personally spoke with Margarita, she told me that she is going to contact you directly to your email at the soonest possible.

Regards,