“A Mexican Gem”

Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
Central Saanich, Canada
“A Mexican Gem”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My husband and I just spent our 30th wedding anniversary at Las Brisas. We had done our research and new pretty much what to expect as far as hills, stairs etc. but when we arrived at check in at the lobby area I was still a little surprised at what I called a "Mexican Rustic" resort, compared to where we usually stayed in Cancun but very quickly once we got into our room and found our way around I fell in LOVE with this place. The staff were all very welcoming and I think this was reflected in all the guests. Even though the property is large the amount of rooms is not huge so it never felt like it was over crowded, always able to get chairs on the beach etc. We would also see the same guest everyday in restaurants, beaches, bars, excursions etc. so it was a very sociable resort! We meet a lot of really nice people. ROOM: was excellent (Mar section, Blue tower at the top of the hill) We had a balcony with a beautiful view of the ocean. We had a gorgeous sunrise every morning. Yes the resort is very mountainous but we loved the walking around the paths, there was always trolleys to shuttle you around. FOOD: was average catering both to Canadian and Mexican guests. I never went hungry always something good to choose. We ate in the buffets and la carte restaurants. BEACHES were wonderful, because of the bays the water is calm and warm, with a great coral reef for snorkelling, there were lots of fish. There is also a really nice grassed area near the beach with lots of palm trees if you need to get out of the sun but still want to be part of the beach action. EVENINGS: were always fun with live entertainment in the theatre and later dancing near the bar area. We took two excursions (sunset sail boat and waterfall/farms) which were both excellent. The tour guides were very knowledgeable and good fun. We went into town (La Crucecita) twice by taxi $5.00 each way. Really nice shops, markets and people. Everyone we talked to had great meals in local restaurants and we felt very safe here. We had a wonderful week at Las Brisas and hope to return in November! Thank you to all the staff Karl and Leea Hartley Victoria BC Canada

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank 259kar_lee
SalesHuatulco, Guest Service at Las Brisas Huatulco, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Karl and Leea

First we give congratulate them on their anniversary and in turn thank them for extra days review, it's a pleasure to make our knowledge the experience you had during your stay, we are pleased that we exceeded your expectations and enjoy every one of the facilities Las Brisas Huatulco offers our guests.

Be assured that we will send our congratulations to our staff. Likewise Brisas family will be waiting to receive them at home in November.

Receive a warm greeting.

Guest Service

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed with my hubby and another couple for 2 weeks. I saw whales several times from a bench by my room in the stars. The grounds, flora, birds, and beaches are amazing. Perfect weather, loved the sports beach, the free catamaran, swimming in the ocean and the pool. Went deep sea fishing 2x we caught a huge sailfish, bonitos n saw more whales, dolphins, 15 sea snakes, turtles mating. So nice to have no vendors on the beach, my fav beach was the sports beach, the view and loved waiter service on the beach. The food was o k, good selection, great pasta, fish, lotsa fresh fruit, yummy coconut ice cream. We paid extra for lobster wasn't good. Shuttle service was amazing, so fast and they're excellent drivers.

CONS: I walked in my room there were 8 huge, very fast, red ants waiting for me. I hate bugs so I had difficulty to sleep the 1st night.I wasn't in bed for more then 15 minutes when I turned the light on and the floor had about 10 ants where I was about to put my feet down. We told the front desk, they sprayed our room and I only had more in our room if I left the door open. You are in a tropical place so bugs get in especially if you leave the door open. The mattresses are old, hard as a rock, rooms are very dated. There were also tiny bugs on the wall where the safe was. We had a gecko in our room by the 3rd night n I think he may have assisted eliminating the ants. There was also mould in the shower at the ceiling and the water would drip off the shower head onto the mould and onto your head so I used the hand held shower. Wifi wasn't very good, but I could get it at the adult pool on my ipad in addition to the lobby.

I loved Huatulco and would return. Las Brisas is a paradise just needs updating to the rooms including new mattresses.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jewel969
sudbury ontario
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

This was our first trip to Huatulco. We travelled February 21 to March 7, 2014. The weather is amazing. Never saw a cloud in 14 days and it was plenty hot.

This is a quiet resort at night. Disco opened only several times during the week, however always great singers in the lounge bar area .
I know the staff worked hard at trying to entertain us however the setup of the few nightly shows was lame. Definitely the worst we have ever seen.

The hotel lobby/lobby bar area could use a facelift. Wifi needs to be upgraded.

We had send an email to the hotel website requesting a third floor with ocean view and balcony. We did get that except no balcony. No deluxe rooms have balconies. We were in the clouds section (yellow silo). Room large and clean with a great shower. The air conditioner wasn't so good we slept with the ceiling fan on high every nite. After talking with others staying in this section sounds like we all had air concerns probably time for an upgrade. In case you are tipping, the maid cleans the room and someone else fills the fridge. A few times no water was left, one simple call and they delivered the water. If you are used to having room service for free, it is not free here.
You could literally leave your room every morning and find a new walkway or scenic lookout. In the distance you can see the Sierra mountains and there is lots of vegetation on the resort with lots of iguanas and birds. Lovely property.

Transportation: never an issue, they run 24/7. Can get picked up just about anywhere,flag them down,call from your phone using the express button or they have stations along the many walkways where you can pickup the phone and ask them to come and get you.

Staff: very friendly and helpful. English very well spoken by the servers in all restaurants, the front desk could use a few more of them and late checkout information very sketchy, depends who you talk to????

Since we are beach people we didn't use the activity pool or adult pool. We walked by many times and there seemed to be lots of loungers available. We found the pool water very warm. Luved the idea that the pools were open till 8 pm.

We are early risers and claimed our piece of heaven by 7 am on the main beach. There were always spots available plus just behind the main beach was a huge shaded grass area to lounge. The water was clear,calm and warm. Bring a floatie. Snorkelled every day . Lots of fish. You can't walk from beach to beach but they have a great walkway to get around. The activity beach area has a few more waves with a plastic rock climber floatie anchored in the ocean. There is waiter service at all the beaches, they work very hard in that heat and our bartender should be commented for making the best ceasar's and blended margaritas. Would be nice if the bars opened at 10 not 11 am.

For those that smoke please stop butting in the sand and a little raking would be nice to clear the little pebbles that accumulate from the tide.

Food: we are not picky eaters and found the food good. Breakfast is served at the Bella vista buffet as well as the Mexican restaurant ( on a smaller scale). Snack bar has great Mexican ice cream.The a al cartes can be booked all on 1 visit to the lobby concierge area after 9 am (4 for every wk)..... Dress is very casual which is so nice considering it is so warm. Men do not need long pants and ladies you will not need a sweater at nite.

We flew air Transat and the reps were always available. We did only 1 tour and that was the seven bay tour. We were picked up around 9 and back by 4. Went to Santa Cruz to catch the boat. The guide spoke very good English and was very knowledgeable. Snorkelled in 1 area and cruised the bays. We were very lucky that day to see a mother whale and her baby jumping. Bring lots of money for lunch it was very expensive. We split a meal and it cost us $42.00.(no drinks just 16 shrimp)

We also went to the fishing village called La Crucecita. Make sure you go to the church it is beautiful. Since La Creme was lined up for supper we went to Teresina for pizza. It was quick and good. If you are looking for souvenirs we bought our stuff at the Silver Nugget from the owner Atilano. He had the best silver prices and spoke great English and not pushy.

So if you a looking for a warm relaxing quite vacation this is the place . To all the Canadians and Dave and Pam from Minnesota that we met It
was our pleasure and a blast. Hope we meet again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chartzzz
Vancouver, BC CANADA
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Who? Two canadian mommys on vacation for a week ("sans" children), one from BC and the other from Ontario.

The Good Stuff:
NICE beaches, good sand, great swimming with lotsa HOT-HOT-HOT sun!
Loved the buffet at Bellavista (for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner).
Room was great - simple but just fine and we had hot water fairly quickly.
Yes there is wifi BUT it's marginal at times (video calls to our kids had to be short) and is only available in the lobby of the hotel (which can be a bit of a hassle if you're in the furthest complex of the resort - like we were).
Drinks were stiff (if you're into that sorta thing).
Lots of canadians and mexicans (very little americans, if any!) so got to practice my Spanish lots - muy bien!
La Crucecita is a lovely and SAFE town - spend 50 pesos (five bucks!) each way to go to the mercato (flea market) to shop for bobbles and souvenirs, and to eat at one of the restaurants (we went to Terracotta and yum-yum! AND free wifi that's much faster than Las Brisas').

The Meh part of it:
It's a HUGE resort; so big you have to pack for the day when you leave your room in the morning!
The "specialty" restaurants are a pass in my opinion - we much prefered the buffet where we could see what we were eating (as opposed to reading from a menu and getting "surprise" dishes - which happened at the first two restaurants so we cancelled the remaining reservations we had and stuck to the buffet).
We tipped our server at the beach, oh how we tipped! but it did not seem to help us much for drink service - real spotty - oh well...

Morale of the Review: I paid $1900 for this trip ($$$) and, after talking to a few other canadians and finding out how much THEY paid, was obvioulsy overcharged! Sooooooo would I go back to Las Brisas? At the right price, YES!

Room Tip: We asked for a room on a higher floor and facing the ocean - got what we wanted!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank nat_bc
Thornhill, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I travelled with my wife and 3-year-old daughter to Huatulco for the first time during March Break. I read a lot of reviews before going so I knew more or less what to expect.

Overall, we enjoyed our trip to Las Brisas. Yes, there are a lot of stairs, but we had a great view from our room in Mountain section, and we enjoyed our walk every morning down to the beach and restaurant. We took the rides back to our room at the end of the day, as my daughter was tired from having fun in the pool. The room was nice and large, comfortable and clean. Windows open and there are screens so you can leave windows open at night if you want fresh air.

Food was decent in the buffet and the four restaurants I went to. There is some repetition in the buffet, but alternate with the restaurants and it is OK. Food varies in quality but there is always something good to eat.

People are very helpful and friendly, whether or not you tip. I advise keeping $1s and $2s (in US or pesos) handy for tipping so you don't have to break larger bills. They do a lot to help out and will accommodate when possible.

Note that most of the hotel tourists are Mexicans (second is Canadians). Not an issue for us, but something to consider. It was a bit of an older crowd, but there were families with little kids and some young couples.

My daughter loved the kids' club, and you can leave your kids all day or part of the day. We brought her to the afternoon movie, so she can watch for an hour and play in the pool for a bit while we did our thing without having to worry.

There are no rushes for chairs or spots, so you can always find a spot by the pool or the beach. Try the different areas to see what you like best (we liked the main pool as my daughter enjoyed it too with the shallower areas). It was also warm from the morning, which I liked.

Negatives:
- The carts are not the safest mode of travel (no seat belts) but convenient.
- Restaurant service was spotty.
- Limited internet in lobby only (they really need to add it to the lounge by the pool)
- Very limited menu by the pool bar, but it is what to expect
- Main beach is very rough due to reef rocks, and water was always yellow flag
- Bars do not serve until 11 am, including water.
- AC is very loud.

Tip
If you have kids under 10, bring them to the kids' club. They will have fun and you will have a bit of adult time on your own. And there is free wifi by the kids' pool, so you can hang out and get shade or sun while kids swim.

Room Tip: Ask for room that faces water, and lower is also better for less walking. There are plenty of good c...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank David G
TO
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Recently returned from Las Brisas, having stayed for a week with a friend. It was my third time to Mexico, but my first time at a Mexican all-inclusive.

BEACH: the best part of the resort, in my opinion. If you like calm, relaxing water then this is the resort for you. On the bay of Tangolunda, Las Brisas is more protected than the newer resorts on the other side. The SNORKELLING BEACH is situated right in front of the Mexican restaurant (by evening), which acts as a breakfast buffet from 7 to 11 a.m.. At 11 a.m., the bar opens up. It is the closest beach to the Mars section/Beach Club. The SWIMMING BEACH is in the middle of the three beaches. The actual pitch of the beach is too slanted for me (I could never get comfortable), but there are plentiful chairs, palapas and it is closer to the lobby/pool area. The ACTIVITIES BEACH is on the other side of the lobby/pool area. The water is less calm, but still very calm, relative to other resorts. In all instances, there is waiter service after 11 a.m. I like to spend every minute on the beach, so I am there at 7:00 a.m.. However, if one arrives later, there are always deck chairs to be found. We never felt like it was "busy", even though it was March Break.

The water is very clear. My only criticism of the beach is that there were cigarette butts and other detritus at times. This is the fault of the clients, but it should be addressed.

SWIMMING POOLS: these are centrally located by the lobby area. There is an adults only pool, a larger pool and one for activities. All of the pools appeared to be very clean and overlooked the beautiful bay.

SCENERY: the bay, along with the distant Sierra Madre mountains provides for beautiful vistas. Additionally, the vast amount of vegetation at the resort made for beautiful walks. The very large boulders on the beaches were great to look at, as were the iguanas that bathed on them in the mornings. The resort is beautiful.

ROOM: we were in 4244 in the Mars section. The room was good and had a spacious balcony that looked out over the bay. The bed was very comfortable (hard). The housekeepers kept the room very clean and restocked the fridge (3 mini coronas, water bottles and pop) every day. Additionally, upon returning to the room after dinner, they'd turned down our sheets and left chocolates, flowers, liqueur, etc..Gilchrist and Soames shampoo, conditioner, lotion and soaps are left every day.

BRISAS BEACH CLUB: we opted for this as it was not much more than the next room down, and the cheapest rooms were not available. These rooms are located in the Mars section, which means you are closest to the snorkelling beach and the Mexican restaurant. There is a special breakfast area in the Mars section that opens at 7:30. It offers continental breakfasts and is also open from 6-7:00 p.m. for cocktails and snacks. We would have benefited more if it was open for two hours instead of one. Everything seemed rushed in one hour, so we just stopped going. It is, however, the only place where one is given bottles of Corona, as opposed to draft.

FOOD: This was my first visit to an all-inclusive in Mexico, but I have been to several in Cuba. Based on some sort of prejudice, I expected Mexico to have superior food choices, quality and variety. In this regard I was disappointed. I was in Puerto Escondido a couple of years ago, and could always get chips and salsa on the beach. This would have been a very good addition, in my opinion.

BUFFET: the main buffet was somewhat limited in choice. Although you will find something, there were line-ups for food that wasn't worth the wait. In Cuba, the stations would be duplicated, often several times so that there were limited wait times. This isn't the case at Las Brisas. The breakfast buffet at the Mexican restaurant provided a good alternative, plus it overlooks the snorkelling beach. With the exception of our last day, we ate here for breakfast every day. There are eggs made to order, pancakes, fruit, cereal, pastries, etc.. It took a few days for me to convince them to turn on the espresso machine. The coffee is weak and flavourless, but the espresso is good...if you can get them to make it for you. I did always manage to get one, but it sometimes seemed like it was an ordeal.

SNACK BAR RESTAURANT: this is located by the pool and main bar area. It has nachos, hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. It is a good place to pop by in between breakfast and dinner, if you are not a lunch person. Again, chips and salsa on the beach would be nice!

A LA CARTES
MEXICAN: this is in the same building as the "other" buffet breakfast. I was not impressed with this dinner. Some of the tables in this restaurant were dirty every day that I was there...i.e. they appear to not be washed very well (or at all in some instances). The service was good during the day, but I think there needs to be a thorough washing down of everything.
KASBAH: an interesting novelty restaurant. The food was okay.
MEDITERRANEAN: best food of the three that we tried. By the time I ate here, though, my stomach was not doing so well, so I'm not really a great judge of this place.

All in all, the food was disappointing for me. I don't pick resorts based on food, but I did have higher expectations. I also developed some type of stomach issue on the third day of our trip, which I still have. I heard from others that they had the same thing. It didn't stop me from enjoying the trip, but I did have to make sure that there was a bathroom close by. I have no idea what I ate to cause this. I travelled with a friend, so I was okay, but if I was travelling with my children, this would have been cause for concern.

SERVICE: the staff is very friendly and helpful.

CARTS: yes, as mentioned, there are a lot of stairs, or in the case of Mars, "hairpin" turns of road to walk up. It looks daunting, but is actually easy to navigate if one is able to walk. However, we made a decision not to walk at night because the roads sometimes become very narrow and there are lots of carts driving by. There is not much room to stand off to the side. As a result, we always took carts at night which are plentiful. If you really don't want to, or can't, walk, you can still get around either on these carts, or on the smaller golf carts.

STORE: the store has basic essentials if you forget anything, but rest assured you will be charged an arm and a leg for anything that you need. For example, the average price of sunscreens was 220 pesos. The internet is 25 pesos for 20 minutes or 45 for an hour. This is the best deal in the store. The service is fast.

I would return to this resort of the price is right. The weather, setting, beach are fantastic. The food is what would make me second guess my choice. I would give the resort 4 stars, but the food is really a 2 for me. Really, the resort is probably a solid 3 star, with some 4 star perks like service on the beach. In terms of relaxation, it is fantastic. My goal was to relax on the beach and for this, I would give it 5.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sinead5
Williams Lake, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2014

It seems unnecessary to add to all the wonderful reviews but I will throw in my 2 cents worth. We LOVED this resort. It was our 11 trip to Mexico but first time to Huatulco. I was a little concerned about the heat as I am generally not great in very hot weather...and it is very hot there...but the upside was that I was "forced" to relax under a palapa and keep cool swimming in the calm, clear ocean waters....We always managed to find a palapa and loungers now matter what time of day. 3 main beautiful beaches...all safe and swimmable. One has snorkeling right out front. They have snorkels, flippers and masks you can use for free. Center beach a little larger for swimming and sports activity beach has paddle boards, kayaks, sail boats etc for you to use...all free of charge! Food was decent to very good. This resort may not be great if you are not physically able to hike lots of hills and steps...though there is a 24 hour shuttle service that will pick you up any time and move you where you need to go. We found the hills and stairs a great way to balance all the food and drink! The staff area absolutely the best. So friendly and willing to help and they genuinely seem to care that you are happy. They are very proud of their part of Mexico and asked us to spread the word and to come back soon! We have never gone to the same resort twice...but I have changed my mind with this resort. Vacationers were about 2/3 Canadians and 1/3 Mexicans when we were there. We met a few couples who were on their 15th return trip here. And they are well traveled. This is not a fancy place. No need to dress to the nines for dinners. Very relaxed and friendly. If you want night life and parties this is probably not your spot. Want to meet some great people, enjoy some beautiful weather and unwind??? then this is your vacation destination. Safe, friendly, beautiful, fun. Can't wait to go back. A shout out to Jimmy at the watersport beach. You are the best!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple