“Almost Loved It- but Liked it A Lot!”

Las Brisas Huatulco
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The good: GORGEOUS location; beautiful beaches, privacy, excellent service; really good food for all-inclusive, great choices for 'reservation' restaurants, amazing sunrises, perfect ocean temperature, convenient snorkel beach, comfortable mattress, tasty coffee, quick response from staff, nice, low-key town. No bugs! Not crowded! Plenty of room and we could always get a palapa on the beach. Overall, really nice and responsive staff!

The not as good: HOT HOT HOT. Really HOT. We were there end of March, so spring solstice on the Tropic of Cancer makes sense. The A/C in the rooms was still very lame. Very hilly- so combined with heat, that made it tough- however there are shuttles available; no decks in standards rooms (not a deal-killer, but would have been nice to have coffee on the deck) breakfasts were pretty redundant; wifi sucked and was only avail in (very HOT) lobby. Pools were not refreshing, and not real appealing either- warm and rectangular. Also, beach chaises quite uncomfortable.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
SalesHuatulco, Guest Service at Las Brisas Huatulco, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

April 3, 2014

We want to thank you for making us extensive your comments which is very rewarding for everyone working in this beautiful resort, sorry that we have unfortunately visited at this time of year in which the summer season is starting with high temperatures, we appreciate your comments which we will present to our maintenance staff and prioritize air conditioners room.
As for the internet we are working on it.

Wishing we could go in the season from December to enjoy warm weather, ensuring an unforgettable experience happened here at Las Brisas Huatulco.

Best regards.
Guest Services

There are newer reviews for Las Brisas Huatulco

Reviewed 24 March 2014

The property was beautiful and the food was good for the most part, drinks were good and the service was great! But we havent been to a resort that boring in a long time! No real social bar area to sit by the bar, the disco was extremely lame! My parents as well as my sister and I usually like to stay up a bit at night but the whole resort was dead by 10:30! Also the rooms were pretty far away either a 10 minute walk up a big hill or wait for a bus. It was nice but I wouldnt reccomend this hotel to anyone under 50, but also not to anyone too old lots of walking....hills stairs!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Alissa

Hereby advise that we regret this inconvenience you had during your stay, such as Fate is very quiet and Las Brisas Huatulco try different activities during the night as the shows, our diverse music singer and musical group during the week so that our guests have a pleasant stay.
We would like to reiterate our sincere interest in further improving every day to provide a quality service for which we are grateful it has extended its review, which will take into account to provide the best service for your next visit.
We wish to allow to seeing you and your beautiful family soon.

Best regards

Guest Service

Reviewed 24 March 2014

My husband and I just spent our 30th wedding anniversary at Las Brisas. We had done our research and new pretty much what to expect as far as hills, stairs etc. but when we arrived at check in at the lobby area I was still a little surprised at what I called a "Mexican Rustic" resort, compared to where we usually stayed in Cancun but very quickly once we got into our room and found our way around I fell in LOVE with this place. The staff were all very welcoming and I think this was reflected in all the guests. Even though the property is large the amount of rooms is not huge so it never felt like it was over crowded, always able to get chairs on the beach etc. We would also see the same guest everyday in restaurants, beaches, bars, excursions etc. so it was a very sociable resort! We meet a lot of really nice people. ROOM: was excellent (Mar section, Blue tower at the top of the hill) We had a balcony with a beautiful view of the ocean. We had a gorgeous sunrise every morning. Yes the resort is very mountainous but we loved the walking around the paths, there was always trolleys to shuttle you around. FOOD: was average catering both to Canadian and Mexican guests. I never went hungry always something good to choose. We ate in the buffets and la carte restaurants. BEACHES were wonderful, because of the bays the water is calm and warm, with a great coral reef for snorkelling, there were lots of fish. There is also a really nice grassed area near the beach with lots of palm trees if you need to get out of the sun but still want to be part of the beach action. EVENINGS: were always fun with live entertainment in the theatre and later dancing near the bar area. We took two excursions (sunset sail boat and waterfall/farms) which were both excellent. The tour guides were very knowledgeable and good fun. We went into town (La Crucecita) twice by taxi $5.00 each way. Really nice shops, markets and people. Everyone we talked to had great meals in local restaurants and we felt very safe here. We had a wonderful week at Las Brisas and hope to return in November! Thank you to all the staff Karl and Leea Hartley Victoria BC Canada

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 259kar_lee

Dear Karl and Leea

First we give congratulate them on their anniversary and in turn thank them for extra days review, it's a pleasure to make our knowledge the experience you had during your stay, we are pleased that we exceeded your expectations and enjoy every one of the facilities Las Brisas Huatulco offers our guests.

Be assured that we will send our congratulations to our staff. Likewise Brisas family will be waiting to receive them at home in November.

Receive a warm greeting.

Guest Service

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I stayed with my hubby and another couple for 2 weeks. I saw whales several times from a bench by my room in the stars. The grounds, flora, birds, and beaches are amazing. Perfect weather, loved the sports beach, the free catamaran, swimming in the ocean and the pool. Went deep sea fishing 2x we caught a huge sailfish, bonitos n saw more whales, dolphins, 15 sea snakes, turtles mating. So nice to have no vendors on the beach, my fav beach was the sports beach, the view and loved waiter service on the beach. The food was o k, good selection, great pasta, fish, lotsa fresh fruit, yummy coconut ice cream. We paid extra for lobster wasn't good. Shuttle service was amazing, so fast and they're excellent drivers.

CONS: I walked in my room there were 8 huge, very fast, red ants waiting for me. I hate bugs so I had difficulty to sleep the 1st night.I wasn't in bed for more then 15 minutes when I turned the light on and the floor had about 10 ants where I was about to put my feet down. We told the front desk, they sprayed our room and I only had more in our room if I left the door open. You are in a tropical place so bugs get in especially if you leave the door open. The mattresses are old, hard as a rock, rooms are very dated. There were also tiny bugs on the wall where the safe was. We had a gecko in our room by the 3rd night n I think he may have assisted eliminating the ants. There was also mould in the shower at the ceiling and the water would drip off the shower head onto the mould and onto your head so I used the hand held shower. Wifi wasn't very good, but I could get it at the adult pool on my ipad in addition to the lobby.

I loved Huatulco and would return. Las Brisas is a paradise just needs updating to the rooms including new mattresses.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jewel969
Reviewed 23 March 2014

This was our first trip to Huatulco. We travelled February 21 to March 7, 2014. The weather is amazing. Never saw a cloud in 14 days and it was plenty hot.

This is a quiet resort at night. Disco opened only several times during the week, however always great singers in the lounge bar area .
I know the staff worked hard at trying to entertain us however the setup of the few nightly shows was lame. Definitely the worst we have ever seen.

The hotel lobby/lobby bar area could use a facelift. Wifi needs to be upgraded.

We had send an email to the hotel website requesting a third floor with ocean view and balcony. We did get that except no balcony. No deluxe rooms have balconies. We were in the clouds section (yellow silo). Room large and clean with a great shower. The air conditioner wasn't so good we slept with the ceiling fan on high every nite. After talking with others staying in this section sounds like we all had air concerns probably time for an upgrade. In case you are tipping, the maid cleans the room and someone else fills the fridge. A few times no water was left, one simple call and they delivered the water. If you are used to having room service for free, it is not free here.
You could literally leave your room every morning and find a new walkway or scenic lookout. In the distance you can see the Sierra mountains and there is lots of vegetation on the resort with lots of iguanas and birds. Lovely property.

Transportation: never an issue, they run 24/7. Can get picked up just about anywhere,flag them down,call from your phone using the express button or they have stations along the many walkways where you can pickup the phone and ask them to come and get you.

Staff: very friendly and helpful. English very well spoken by the servers in all restaurants, the front desk could use a few more of them and late checkout information very sketchy, depends who you talk to????

Since we are beach people we didn't use the activity pool or adult pool. We walked by many times and there seemed to be lots of loungers available. We found the pool water very warm. Luved the idea that the pools were open till 8 pm.

We are early risers and claimed our piece of heaven by 7 am on the main beach. There were always spots available plus just behind the main beach was a huge shaded grass area to lounge. The water was clear,calm and warm. Bring a floatie. Snorkelled every day . Lots of fish. You can't walk from beach to beach but they have a great walkway to get around. The activity beach area has a few more waves with a plastic rock climber floatie anchored in the ocean. There is waiter service at all the beaches, they work very hard in that heat and our bartender should be commented for making the best ceasar's and blended margaritas. Would be nice if the bars opened at 10 not 11 am.

For those that smoke please stop butting in the sand and a little raking would be nice to clear the little pebbles that accumulate from the tide.

Food: we are not picky eaters and found the food good. Breakfast is served at the Bella vista buffet as well as the Mexican restaurant ( on a smaller scale). Snack bar has great Mexican ice cream.The a al cartes can be booked all on 1 visit to the lobby concierge area after 9 am (4 for every wk)..... Dress is very casual which is so nice considering it is so warm. Men do not need long pants and ladies you will not need a sweater at nite.

We flew air Transat and the reps were always available. We did only 1 tour and that was the seven bay tour. We were picked up around 9 and back by 4. Went to Santa Cruz to catch the boat. The guide spoke very good English and was very knowledgeable. Snorkelled in 1 area and cruised the bays. We were very lucky that day to see a mother whale and her baby jumping. Bring lots of money for lunch it was very expensive. We split a meal and it cost us $42.00.(no drinks just 16 shrimp)

We also went to the fishing village called La Crucecita. Make sure you go to the church it is beautiful. Since La Creme was lined up for supper we went to Teresina for pizza. It was quick and good. If you are looking for souvenirs we bought our stuff at the Silver Nugget from the owner Atilano. He had the best silver prices and spoke great English and not pushy.

So if you a looking for a warm relaxing quite vacation this is the place . To all the Canadians and Dave and Pam from Minnesota that we met It
was our pleasure and a blast. Hope we meet again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chartzzz
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Who? Two canadian mommys on vacation for a week ("sans" children), one from BC and the other from Ontario.

The Good Stuff:
NICE beaches, good sand, great swimming with lotsa HOT-HOT-HOT sun!
Loved the buffet at Bellavista (for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner).
Room was great - simple but just fine and we had hot water fairly quickly.
Yes there is wifi BUT it's marginal at times (video calls to our kids had to be short) and is only available in the lobby of the hotel (which can be a bit of a hassle if you're in the furthest complex of the resort - like we were).
Drinks were stiff (if you're into that sorta thing).
Lots of canadians and mexicans (very little americans, if any!) so got to practice my Spanish lots - muy bien!
La Crucecita is a lovely and SAFE town - spend 50 pesos (five bucks!) each way to go to the mercato (flea market) to shop for bobbles and souvenirs, and to eat at one of the restaurants (we went to Terracotta and yum-yum! AND free wifi that's much faster than Las Brisas').

The Meh part of it:
It's a HUGE resort; so big you have to pack for the day when you leave your room in the morning!
The "specialty" restaurants are a pass in my opinion - we much prefered the buffet where we could see what we were eating (as opposed to reading from a menu and getting "surprise" dishes - which happened at the first two restaurants so we cancelled the remaining reservations we had and stuck to the buffet).
We tipped our server at the beach, oh how we tipped! but it did not seem to help us much for drink service - real spotty - oh well...

Morale of the Review: I paid $1900 for this trip ($$$) and, after talking to a few other canadians and finding out how much THEY paid, was obvioulsy overcharged! Sooooooo would I go back to Las Brisas? At the right price, YES!

Room Tip: We asked for a room on a higher floor and facing the ocean - got what we wanted!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank nat_bc
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I travelled with my wife and 3-year-old daughter to Huatulco for the first time during March Break. I read a lot of reviews before going so I knew more or less what to expect.

Overall, we enjoyed our trip to Las Brisas. Yes, there are a lot of stairs, but we had a great view from our room in Mountain section, and we enjoyed our walk every morning down to the beach and restaurant. We took the rides back to our room at the end of the day, as my daughter was tired from having fun in the pool. The room was nice and large, comfortable and clean. Windows open and there are screens so you can leave windows open at night if you want fresh air.

Food was decent in the buffet and the four restaurants I went to. There is some repetition in the buffet, but alternate with the restaurants and it is OK. Food varies in quality but there is always something good to eat.

People are very helpful and friendly, whether or not you tip. I advise keeping $1s and $2s (in US or pesos) handy for tipping so you don't have to break larger bills. They do a lot to help out and will accommodate when possible.

Note that most of the hotel tourists are Mexicans (second is Canadians). Not an issue for us, but something to consider. It was a bit of an older crowd, but there were families with little kids and some young couples.

My daughter loved the kids' club, and you can leave your kids all day or part of the day. We brought her to the afternoon movie, so she can watch for an hour and play in the pool for a bit while we did our thing without having to worry.

There are no rushes for chairs or spots, so you can always find a spot by the pool or the beach. Try the different areas to see what you like best (we liked the main pool as my daughter enjoyed it too with the shallower areas). It was also warm from the morning, which I liked.

Negatives:
- The carts are not the safest mode of travel (no seat belts) but convenient.
- Restaurant service was spotty.
- Limited internet in lobby only (they really need to add it to the lounge by the pool)
- Very limited menu by the pool bar, but it is what to expect
- Main beach is very rough due to reef rocks, and water was always yellow flag
- Bars do not serve until 11 am, including water.
- AC is very loud.

Tip
If you have kids under 10, bring them to the kids' club. They will have fun and you will have a bit of adult time on your own. And there is free wifi by the kids' pool, so you can hang out and get shade or sun while kids swim.

Room Tip: Ask for room that faces water, and lower is also better for less walking. There are plenty of good c...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family