“Wonderful Week”

Las Brisas Huatulco
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
Reviewed 8 February 2006

Just got back from a wonderful week at Las Brisas. Quick summary:

Resort - wonderful location, gorgeous views. Rooms are nice but the age is showing. I have heard they are investing a lot in this property and current conditions are much improved in the last year. Rooms are very spacious and the views of the ocean are amazing. Any issues were minor. Cleaning staff were not as attentive as I have experienced before. They would do only the basics. Burnt out lights etc would not get attended to unless it was mentioned. Hot water seemed to be an issue. In our room I think the person who installed the plumbing did not speak english and got confused by the H and C on the plumbing. It took us a day to discover C was hot. Spanish word for hot is Caliente.

Food - Average. The buffets were sufficient but nothing to write home about. The Mexican and Asian a la carte restaurants were good. The Moroccan one had good atmosphere but I thought the food was mediocre. The service was excellent

Activities - Went on the Seven bay cruise which was terrific and well worth it. The ATV tour was a hoot but be prepared for the dust. Wear the goggles. The golf course is outstanding and very reasonable. Much more than I expected. It is hot though so prepare. Order you beer by 6. They will pack it in a ice-filled cooler.
At the resort the activities are limited but they tried. Take a cab in the evenings and there is plenty of activity in La Crucitita or Santa Cruz.

Overall - Huatulco is definitely a gem.

• Stayed: February 2006
13  Thank kuda1
There are newer reviews for Las Brisas Huatulco

Reviewed 5 February 2006

I visited this hotel in an all inclusive plan. Once you get there they give you a map, since the hotel is just HUGE. They do have some cute cars that drive you around, but getting one in any spot that isn't the lobby is difficult so you will end up walking a lot moving from one place to another.

One big problem is that the staff is not friendly at all. Don't expect any "you're welcomes", and most of the time you won't even get a smile from them. Makes you feel like if they just didn't like their job at all. Looking for a place with a cozy touch? You sure won't get it here.

The room was very simple, nothing like the website's photos. Simple and ugly white ceramic floor and a tiny shower. Water takes quite a long time to heat up. The pillows are very weird, they feel like if they were filled with some kind of gel because your head just sinks into them, I had to use 3 pillows to get enough support. The air conditioner was not enough to cool up the room; they also have a ceiling fan, but it made a horrible squeeking sound that got on my nerves after a few minutes so I had to go to sleep in a warm room. Not good at all.

There are several beaches, and the water is incredible, you can float in the sea and feel like if you were at the pool, it is really calm. The adult pool has cold water, so I just went to the main pool, very warm and quite big. Problem is that if you feel like having a drink at the beach or the pool you will have to walk up to the bar, forget about asking a waiter to bring you something because you won't be able to find one.

Food was quite bad, there are several restaurants, but if you go on an all inclusive plan you are stuck to the buffet restaurant, where they try to fill you up with all kind of cheap stuff like boiled potatoes, beans and vegetables. Not much to choose from and you will get tired of that food very soon.

You can't miss the 7 bay tour, it is just amazing.

• Stayed: February 2006
3  Thank fryman04
Reviewed 2 February 2006

We have just spent a week at the Las Brisas in Huatulco, the weather was hot and sunny! This hotel is beautiful,very clean, on 50 acres with 3 main beaches. Lots of stairs to negotiate but the grounds are very beautiful. The hotel staff are extremely friendly and courteous. The buffet restaurent has lots of variety and the a la carte ones are excellent for a change of pace. The facilites are top notch,lots of pool space and chairs, even on the beach, it was never crowded! We encountered no time share salespeople, and only one beach peddler, a wonderful peaceful holiday.

Stayed: January 2006
23  Thank wks47
Reviewed 1 February 2006

Me and my husband and another couple stayed at the Las Brisas from January 11 - 25th, 2006. We had a fabulous time, not only at the hotel, but in the surrounding area of Huatulco as well. We stayed in the Mountains village which was nice because it was in close walking distance to all the beaches, food, lobbies etc. The rooms were very clean with the fridge, blowdryer, coffee maker, cable TV, clock radio - the usual items people wonder about - it had it all. Plenty of closet and storage space in the rooms. The food at the resort was not excellent, but it wasn't just average either, I thought it had a good mix of something for everyone as I never went hungry and I have a very picky appetite. The specialty restaurants included a Mexican, Morrochan and Asian. I did not get a chance to try the Asian restaurant, but from what others had told me, I wasn't missing much. The Mexican was not bad, some people loved it - I am a little picky about eating sea food - I am afraid to get sick. The Morrachan restaurant was good, you sit on little chairs very close to the floor - it is really neat. And the buffet always had something good to try and excellent ice cream!!! The drinks at the resort - they are generous with the amounts, however do not have a menu, so you kinda have to know what you would like and then tell them how to make it. Someone should bring them down a tropical drink mix book. However, the Rum Punch was most excellent!! In the evening there is a live band and some entertainment and there are lounge areas with pool tables. A hint of advice -someone should bring pool cue tips to the resort as the ones they have are shot - and some chalk as well. It would make the game much more fun! Like I said, there was lots to do, we went scuba diving and our friends went snorkeling at the same time with Hurricane Divers - we got too see Hump Back whales while we were out there - that was a real treat - we also did the tour of the bays the same day - which was far better than the signture tour where you are stuck with 100 other people and you have to buy your own lunch - Hurricane provided a gourmet lunch on a secluded beach - it was wonderful. My husband and his friend also got hooked up through Hurricane to go deep sea fishing where they caught 9 tuna and their boat was surrounded by over a 100 dolphins swimming with it! This was about 35 bucks an hour, you can have up to four lines down at once, so really cheap - minimum of four hours. They were picked up right at the hotel and taken to the Marina. Hurricane is located right on the beach at Playa Santa Cruz - that is what you tell your cabbie, and afterwards you can sit out front on the public beach and drink corona's and watch the kids play beach soccer. Signature for deep sea fishing will cost you 120 per hour and they will give you a story of a couple of hotel guests lost at sea for 3 days by going with a local. Now - this could be true - but man - who has 480 dollars to spend on fishing for four hours! We did do the waterfall tour and coffee plantation with signature - the waterfalls are absolutely amazing - the coffee plantation is okay - but the plantation doesn't even operate anymore so it is kinda boring, but the lunch is fabulous and you see a lot, the two hour van ride there and back is bumpy so be prepared. We also hooked up with the bird watched at the Resort. His name is Pablo and he took us to his home village for 40 bucks a person and taught us to surf for the day!! Unreal!!! It was so awesome - I wish I would have known earlier in my trip and done it some more. He'll drive you there and back, which is usually a 20 dollar cab ride one way and he'll supply you with boards, park entry fee and instruction at another secluded beach, another one of the bays. We did walk through the other resorts, and I much prefer the Las Brisas simply because you don't get the beach vendors like you do on the other side at the Barcello and the Gala and there appeared to me more seating. We never once had to get up super early and reserve a chair - there are always plenty in great spots. They have an adult only pool with a waterslide staircase which you can sit and read and have water trickle onto you - it was great. Now the best part of all - the weather - Hot, hot, hot!! Everyday is the same, 33 and sunny, but with the wind off of the ocean, it is tolerable - and the water is so warm!! With the humidex it does say a feels like temp of 40! We went shopping in La Cruceita - it has better shopping than Santa Cruz - shopping centre and a market - some places will bargain with you and some won't, but that is the same as everywhere. The town is very pleasant and feels very safe. The nightlife is Thus, Fri and Sat - there is a bar called the Papaya, it is excellent!!! Doesn't get going until about midnight - but just stay at the resort - visit the disco there and then head on over. There is no dance floor - everyone just dances whereever they please. It is about 10 bucks per person, but they give out coupons per couple for 10 bucks worth of drinks and you have an option of buying a bottle for a table too.

Anyway, all in all, we had an excellent trip - we were able to do a lot of activities at affordable prices and also relax at the same time. I would like to go back again - I loved Huatulco!! It was so nice to spend a holiday with great friends and this was my wedding anniversary and to spend it there with my amazing husband - wow! I am speechless....

If you would like to contact me, I can be reached at carrie_girl@hotmail.com

• Stayed: January 2006
31  Thank NorthernChick
Reviewed 31 January 2006

Just arrived back from Huatulco this am. Las Brisa's was wonderful. Travelled from TO with Sunwing. Check-in was easy...they do limit your luggage compared to Air Canada. The flight and crew were excellent. The meal was good, yes it is still close to your neighbour but it is a charter. Arrived in Huatulco, customs, immigration etc was easy. Sunwing rep there to greet you and to give you your bus # assignment. Loaded 4 buses and off we went. Arrived at Las Brisas and was greeted with cold wet towels which were heaven as the heat is still evident even at night. Cold fruit drink was also offered. Check-in was easy, key for safe, key for room ( ask for another key the next day)and your mini-bar key. Also received your towel cards. Porters will load luggage onto carts and whisk you off to your room. At first the grounds are overwhelming in size. But after a few days we were walking everywhere and only taking the "transportation" when we were either too tired or had too much to carry.

The rooms: We were in the "stars" and had an ocean view with the basic room. The room was white with 2 queen beds, lots of room and a huge bathroom. The shower had lots of hot water and the pressure was great. Our room and for that matter the whole resort was kept very clean. We put a US dollar in the mini-fridge and asked for more water. No problem there. If you leave money for your maid leave it under a pillow with a note as the mini-fridge person goes into the room in the am. Many days our room was not totally cleaned until 4 but we didn't care as we loved the beach at that time. Two days we had flower petals on our bed. I would recommend when reserving a room to ask for one on the 2nd, third or fourth levels as the view gets better the higher you go. We also liked the view from the Mar. That is where I would go next time. Our room was very quiet .
Grounds: Kept very nicely. Alot of flowers, weird birds, trees etc. We took alot of pictures and there is a nature walk at 7:30 am to help you identify different birds etc on the resort.

Transportation: Yes it is a large resort but it is spread out. We walked down to the beaches, pools, restarants but the guys driving the people movers were great. Just call and they are there in minutes. But walk around , it's beautiful.

Resort Staff: Very impressed with the staff. Always friendly even if communication was sometimes hard. The only issue I had was that no two drinks were ever made the same. Had to stick to rum and coke or vodka and OJ. Manuel and Santiago were the best bartenders.

Food: The food was OK. Nothing fancy but a good variety of American/Mexican food. The buffet was large and as in any AI you choose items that look cooked or you have watched being cooked. We didn't have any real stomach problems...we just ate and drank too much somedays. The breads and desserts were great. The Al lacartes were ok. We liked the Moroccan and the Mexican the best. Not impressed with the Asian, but others were. Always wine with dinner.

Beaches and pools: Three pools that always looked clean and the fun team were always around the pools. Lots of chairs and sun or shade. We were at the beaches and they were great. The snorkel beach was small but again lots of chairs (never did we have to save chairs at 6 am)Bar and Mexican lunch buffet situated here plus bathrooms. The snorkeling here is great with lots of fish, just watch the tide as we saw a guy get tossed about the coral and get pretty cut up. Do not touch the coral with your feet or hands and watch for sea urchins. The main beach was abit more crowded but again very nice. The beach we liked the best had the kayaks and hobie cats. The young guys will show you how to sail and off you go. Ping-pong tables and hair braiding are here also. Again bar, and bathrooms. Beach service was hit and miss but it is good to get off your butt and walk and get yourself a drink. We had yellow flags everyday, good for swimming but be careful with little ones as there is a powerful undertow.

Entertainment: Some of it was cheesy but who cares. Many of the events were geared more for the Mexicans but we are in their country so get involved. They had music almost every night but I found it hot to dance. Enjoyed the fun team, they had lots of energy. Many poeple went into La Crucecita for entertainment.

Trips: We rented a boat for deep sea fishing but it was so rough, we were getting sick,( we paid full price but others told us the captain returned them to shore and offered to take them out again ) but 2 days later 2 of us went out on the Yahoo ( he's usually docked off the main beach)and caught mauhi- mauhi and dolphin. Well worth the money and they watched hundreds of dophins in the ocean. I would barter with guys off the beach for a personal tour as I was not impressed with the Santa Cruz captain or his boat. The resort will cook the fish for you but we gave it to our captain.

Town: La Crucecita is beautiful and safe. We enjoyed the market but it is hot so bring lots of water. Cabs are fine and people ask you to come into their shops but they don't harasse you. Internet cafe beside the town square..$1.00 for 60 minutes. The resort also has internet hook up in the gift shop but isn't always open.

If you fly with Sunwing you have to be out by 1:00 pm but we asked to stay in our rooms til 3 or you can use the showers at the gym. We took our large bags and placed them in the line of luggage, therefore we were on the first bus to go to the airport. Kept our carry-on in the room til we showered etc. , then added them to the pile. Again check-out was easy and Sunwing is pretty organized here. The airport is hot andvery busy..take some water or whatever as you will be in line for sometime. It has A/C once you pass security.

All is all we had a great time. The weather was hot. I would not take anything that wasn't made from cotton as it is warm. You do not have to dress for dinner. Our guys wore nice shorts, sandals and cotton shirts and they were confortable. Yes I would go back as it fit my criteria...warm, safe, clean, shade and sun plus lots to do around the resort. Many nights we played poker outside. Yes there are a few critters but you are in a different climate. One boy did get bitten by a scorpion. Shake any clothes out before you put it on. He was fine and we heard he received very good medical care. The resort has mostly Canadians and Mexican families .

Our group was very impressed with the Mexican people and the staff. Try to learn the language , relax and enjoy. Yes, I would return to this resort and this area.

25  Thank wamcod
A TripAdvisor Member
Cambridge, Ontario
Reviewed 31 January 2006

My husband and I and a friend stayed at Las Brisas for the week of Jan 16 to 23. It was really nice. I was looking forward to a week of relaxation and that is exactly what I got. The grounds are beautiful. There are a lot of stairs but they have shuttles available 24 hours. I have heart problems and I didn’t have any trouble walking around. I would enjoy the walk down to the beach and then take the shuttle back up. That being said, you cannot completely avoid the stairs. The shuttles don’t go everywhere. So beautiful was the scenery that I couldn’t even focus on reading. The food at the buffet was ok. We’ve had better but there was a lot to choose from and there was always something we liked. They have 3 a la carte restaurants. The Asian, I wasn’t crazy about the food but the atmosphere was nice, the Mexican which was good and outdoors, and the Kasbah, which was Arabic. The tables and chairs were very low to the floor and it was dark and dingy not to mention located in a dark alley that had we not asked for directions to we would not have even found. We didn’t enjoy the meal there. We were a bit tired of the nightly entertainment since the band played the same music every day and they packed up and went home at 10:30. The beaches were perfect. Lots of both sunny and shady spots to sit and the pools were nice also. Water sports are available on the Tornillo beach and snorkelling on Ventura beach. Wear lots of sunscreen, the sun is really hot! Although not a lot of them spoke English, the staff was very friendly and helpful. We didn’t like the rooms we got on arrival and requested a change. They had us in new rooms within 2 hours while we went to dinner, and they had someone take our bags over for us and made sure that we were happy. We were in the Nubes section and had an ocean view. The room was nothing special but nice and the windows are so big you really don’t miss having a balcony. Just a bit of advice… If you leave the curtains open over night, you can wake up to a beautiful sunrise every morning and watch it from bed……..Paradise

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 January 2006

14 of us travelled from London Ontario January 9th-16th. We all had a great time. Very un-developed part of Mexico - the nicest I've seen. Rooms were spectacular, nicest room we've ever had in our travels. Getting around the resort was not a problem, if you like to walk. If you are lazy - not the resort for you. The tennis Pro Marco was amazing. Great lesson each morning for free! He wouldn't even take a tip - but on the last day we gave him $20 U.S. which he took happily. The food could be improved on - but I have had worse. Did the 7 bays tour - lots of motion on the ocean - it was just ok. I would recommend this area and this hotel no problem.

• Stayed: January 2006