“Wonderful resort!”

Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in Huatulco
Edmonton, Alberta
“Wonderful resort!”
Reviewed 1 January 2010

We had a wonderful time at Las Brisas ( 14 and 11 yr old kids) and have to think hard to find a "complaint", other than 7 days is not long enough (especially when 2 are on a plane!) . We had some difficulty with the air conditioning...until the last day :))...when we turned it down all the way, but I guess we should have tried that sooner! The bed was not as comfy as ours at home---but what bed is? Overall, we found the resort to be very clean and the staff were helpful and friendly. Use of English varied, but we are in there country and should try to learn their language, just as we prefer here in Canada.

The food was very good with enough variety to ensure everyone can find something. The Mexicana al la carte was the best in our opinion---the avocado salad was wonderful! The other al la cartes were okay, but if we went back I would only go back to the Mexicana.

The layout and grounds were lovely and we enjoyed the walking involved to get from our room to the beaches and restaurants. The rooms are "sparsely" decorated as others have mentioned---but we were only in the room to shower, change and sleep so this is not an issue for me. We were in the "Stars" section and had a view of the bay and lobby area from our room. Some of the rooms were a bit further away, but there are carts to transport you wherever/whenever you want. We were able to take several routes to/from the areas. There were lots of iguanas, squirrels and birds. We found a large scorpion in our room after a rain----but were told that the small ones are more dangerous, and you are after all in a region with such creatures!

We spent almost all of our time on the snorkel beach as this was what interested our family; The beaches were never "crowded" and were peaceful. We had our own snorkel equipment, but you can borrow it from the shack. There was lots to see right off the shore! The towns were small and comfortable....the shop keepers are business people and eager to make a sale with a "special price"---welcome to Mexico! :)) A polite "no gracias" with a smile is all that is required.

We booked tours thru Signature, but next time I would like to make arrangements thru the local places. We went on the Coffee Mountain tour and enjoyed it...but we are coffee people! I do not recommend this for kids as mine would have preferred to be at the beach but we had a nice walk thru the mountain and it was cool in shade of the trees. We bought coffee hot from the roaster. We also went to the falls which is not far but takes a long time due to the road conditions--- the amount of time at the site is limited due to the nature of the tours, but it was quite something to see! You can crawl thru an opening and climb into a pool under the waterfall---then the guide showed a place to jump from a rock into a deep pool--a hit with the teens!--then there was the opportunity to swing from a rope into another (shallow pool). We were fed a very nice lunch-overall a good day!

Some of the other reviewers commented about being "isolated", but it is not hard to get to town and there are no beach peddlers and the area is very quiet. I like this and feel this is a wonderful spot for families looking for a quiet, relaxing beach vacation. We would return to this location without hesitation---and in fact need to go back to do more exploring on the ocean!!! The area is small and quaint and the perfect location for those who want a quiet, cultural experience. I hope the area does not become overly developed and "commercial".

The bus left for the airport very early so we took a taxi so we could enjoy some last minute beach time---definitely recommend this as an option. The airport is mostly open---the arrival area is not air conditioned, and the departures area is open with some shopping and a food place--once you go thru the gate you are in an air conditioned area with a small food kiosk that offers chips/pop and hotdogs.

9 Thank mocha71

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
canada
Reviewed 29 December 2009

Las Brisas is a wonderful carefree holiday. With many options for food and activities and the best weather you could hope for, it offers great value. We enjoyed the beautiful grounds and the walking, helping us combat the plethora of food offerings. The food is fine; not a 5 star restaurant but fresh with great variety. The breakfast buffet and dinner at the Mexican restaurant were the highlights. The snorkeling beach onsite offers a wonderful experience to the novice snorkeller. The activities beach offers a sail on a catamaran or a kayak with plenty of beach chairs and shade.
The rooms were adequately appointed with a large shower. Each day, the housekeeping staff laid beautiful fresh flowers on the bed in a unique design. Walking the grounds of Las Brisas was always a new adventure in nature observation. Many species of birds and lizards. The staff at Las Brisas were friendly, courteous and helpful. No one ever bothered us on the beach to sell us things.
In town, we were able to experience some nightlife and awesome live spanish music at two local outdoor bars. It is very reasonable to get there by taxi ($3 each way) and the drinks and food are reasonably priced.
We booked a local fisherman, Andrew to take 4 couples on a 1/2 day trip. As promised, he was able to find us dolphins, sea turtles and took us to a wonderful snorkelling beach. We also caught two fish during the trip (Black tuna I believe).
For us, it was a carefree, relaxing and wonderful week. If you like fancy and dressing up, it's probably not the place for you.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
9 Thank myvacationplanner
Toronto
Reviewed 29 December 2009

Las Brisas is not the conventional hotel. It is formed out of several buildings on a very big property. You can walk, if you want, or take the shuttle buses from your room to the restaurant, lobby or beaches. It didn't bother me that it is a little bit to walk, but I know lots of people that were not satisfied with this. If you are the time of person who wants to be right on the beach, than this place might not be the one for you.
Food - I really liked the food, they had european, mexican and north american food, so you had were to choose from. One inconvenient is that 3 days out of 7 the main buffet is closed and another buffet it is open, but this one is a little bit further away, and there is not shuttle bus to it...so a little bit of walking in the afternoos. Good news is that night time they have a nice buffet by the main pool, and the ambiance is wonderful.
The a la carte restaurants - I didn't enjoy. We tried Meditaranean - which was ok, not very impressed, but I didn't like the service. We also tried Lebanease - I took one bite from each dish, and same the other people we went with. The Mexican was the third one we tried - great service, food not so great, but edible. The good news is that you can go to eat at the buffet if you are not satisfied with the food.
Rooms - nice, large rooms. We had 2 double beds, facing the main beach, nice view. I guess most of the rooms face the ocean, but on a different side of it. The bathrooms have a shower only; for the hot water you need to let the water run for a few minutes.
Personnel - nice, but do not speak to much English. The resort was open for foreigners only recently. Good thing my husband speaks Spanish, but also bad as they didn't bother to speak at all in English with us, so I had to have him translate to me most of the time.
Entertainment - almost at all. They had some shows for about 1 1/2 every night, but the performers were still kids (on their 20s), with not much experience, and again almost no English. If you go there for rest, and if you like to go to bed at 10:00 like I do, than this is a perfect place for you.
Tours - Among their tours it is the Magic Falls. We were among the uninspired ones to take this tour and we were very, very dissapointed because they lied to us. As we have a 2 1/2 year old boy, we asked so many questions:
- how long is the ride by van to the falls - the first answer was 45 min, and after we paid they said that it is actually 1 hour 15 min. It was in fact 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- how is the road, are there lots of curves? The answer was that it is ok, that so far they had no problems. In fact it is a country side road, bumpy and on top of that it is a mountain road, so there are lots of curves, there is only one lane and if there is another car coming towards the van one of it must back up until there is enough space for the other to pass along. If there is an emergency it can't really stop so you have to wait until they find a space wide enough for other cars to pass.
- there was a 10 minutes walk through the forest - the only fact that coincided with what the guides from Signature told us.
- there was about another 10 minutes from where they met us to the actual falls. We have been told that this is safe for small kids, which was again a big lie. It is bumpy, the stones are wet from the falls, no rails to hold on to. No way a kid, I would say younger than 10 would be safe there, but they claimed it is.
- supposely there is a natural whirlpool inside the falls. In fact you can stay underneath the fall and get some hydromassage, that if you are not claustrophobic and cannot go inside through the small entry.
- they didn't bother to wait for everybody to come back from the falls and they served the food, and when we arrived there was no salsa left, rice enough for 2 people, not for 4 adults and 2 kids. They kept the beer at cold (you had to pay 2.5 USD for each) and the water was too warm for such a hot day.
They told us that we were going to leave the falls around 3:00 PM, but they forced us to leave at 1:30Pm
Coming back from the falls we, and the other 3 families in our van made a complaint about it, and we've been told that this is the way they do business in Mexic and they don't have to give us a copy of the receipt. Nothing was done about it even though I heard from other people that a week before us some other people complained as well. They knew about everything, but they intentionally lied to us in order to get our money. We got not even a sorry, but instead they were really rude after all.

So overall, for the deal we got ($1700 CADfor 2 adults and 1 kid) we had a nice time and I will go back if I get a similar deal. I would not pay the full price though.
If you want to go on tours, I heard that the cruise is really nice. If you have small kids, I suggest you stick to going to the beach only.

1 Thank sibip2001
Port Hope, Ontario
Reviewed 24 December 2009

This is a great hotel and vacation spot. If you don't like to walk or climb stairs or to even take one step away from your beach chair, do not vacation here this is a definate work out and after all the great food we ate at the buffet we welcomed the challenge of walking. By the end of the week we felt in better shape that when we arrived and we are all in our 50's! If you want a New York City hotel room, do not stay here go to New York. The rooms are a cool all white with minimalist furniture but the highlight of your room is the gorgeous views. We moved the sofa to face the window so we could look at the view the whole time we were in the room which was very little as the well kept botanical grounds , bird watching ,snorkelling , swimming and just sitting on the beach kept us busy. We will be back for sure to this hotel and location and feel we have found a nice piece of paradise. Do not be afraid to check out this location yourself.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
5 Thank riffycat
Toronto
Reviewed 22 December 2009

We visited Las Brisas on Dec. 11-18, 2009 - it's a great place to go to with your kids. This has been our second visit to the Pacific coast, and the weather is very warm but compared to what we've seen on the Atlantic coast, is way more comfortable - at the same temperatures (+31 and higher) it's not as humid and you can't notice there's any wind unless you look at the trees and see the leaves moving, plus it's more stable and sunshiny, there was no rain both the times we were here.

We have a three year old, and she enormously enjoyed looking at the numerous crabs, fish, iguanas, birds, squirrels and cats - all sorts of animals who aren't really afraid of people and some even allow to touch them - what else can compare to this experience? On the flip side, all the nature indeed comes close to you and there were the sand flies, the jelly fish and we even made pictures of two scorpions, but I guess they were dead by the time we saw them.

We absolutely loved the stunning gardens that surround the famous stairs and had no trouble walking there - even with the short-legged three-year old it was no longer than ten minutes to get back and forth - there are many shortcuts. The gardens are so beautiful you’ve got to admire them and the effort the people put into them.

The beaches are gorgeous - I think it's extremely rare that a hotel has all the variety - those who wants to swim with fish go to the reef, who wants to jump in waves (knee-high, very nice for children) visits the activities beach, the ones who want a sunrise go to the secret beach, and the rest who just came to relax stay on the regular beach, there are no waves, sand on the bottom - you can enjoy the ocean any way you want. Plus this is the first hotel we've seen where there were beach benches and umbrellas always available in abundance - there was no necessity to wake up earlier and mark your spots, any time we came there were many shadowy places to choose from.

We also loved the pools very much - the sun went down at approximately 6 pm, the buffet would open at 7 - the time between that we spent in the warm and clean pools or in the kids area - also a great place to look at.

We visited only the buffet but it was both beautiful and tasty. Loved sausages and bacon - you just have to find what to eat them with :) The grilled fish was incredible. We didn't get to try the a la cartes because it's rather hard to wait for the food with a little one there plus it was weird that we had to book them from 10 to 1 in the morning when we were always at the beach.

The Signature vacations services were organized also rather inconveniently in the way that they had time to talk to us while we were on the bus but they didn't (I mean, they said hi, but that was it for the half an hour drive), wasting an hour+ of our beach time on a stage presentation the next day instead. They also took us at 10 in the morning to the airport, and in my opinion that could be postponed until at least 11:30-12:00 - that way people'd catch the best beach hours for the last time.

Overall it's a great place to go - the people there are nice, helpful, really hard-working and warm-hearted, nature is beautiful and diverse, the weather is nice and stable, rooms – quiet enough.

7 Thank s123Toronto
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 December 2009

My boyfriend and I went to Las Brisas for one week and enjoyed every bit of this vacation.. but there are a few things you should know.

This area and hotel is VERY quiet and generally full of couples and families... so this is definitely not a hotel for partying singles. Also yes, there are A LOT of stairs - but there are shuttles that take you anywhere you want to go... and wow were they ever fast! but we did visit during low seaon.

Ok the hotel is a little dated, but it is still very well maintained and really the area is stunning. I think every room has a beautiful oceanview and I found them to be very tastefully decorated and clean. you do have to remember tho you are in a different country in an open setting... so the stray ant or gecko can make it into your room. just remember... lizards eat ants!

I found the food was excellent at the hotel - the lunch and breakfast buffets were the best (don't know why dinner wasn't as good) but the a la cartes were amazing as well. My boyfriend is very picky and he enjoyed the food. I def recommend the Mexican and Solarium restaurants (the latter is like a steakhouse) both are overlooking the beach.

The resort is big! But I found my way around much easier than many other resorts I've been to. Think it's mapped out in a simple fashion.

The beaches... ahhh the beaches. Absolutely the best part. Now the temperature in this area is generally always HOT. and the waters tend to stay quite warm... perfect for swimming. there are four beaches at this hotel. the main beach, the sports beach, the secret beach (small, not for hanging out) and the snorkle beach - absolutely the best and coolest part of this hotel. they have their OWN small reef and the fish are incredible. from sea urchins to stingrays they have it. so def bring an underwater camera. fyi - they have a hut where you can borrow snorkle gear.

we did two tours, the bays tour and the crocs and turtles tour. would def recommend both with a warning. this is a mountainous area... so the roads tend to wind up and down the hills... so if you have a sensative stomach (or drank way too much the night before) pop a gravol!

there are two towns to head into. La Crucecita and Santa Cruz. the latter supposedly has the best seafood restaurants (never made it for dinner) and La Crucecita has shopping. it's a $3 cab ride from the hotel - just tell them what you want and they'll take you there.

the hotel staff was amazing... always more than accomodating. never had a problem with people not speaking enough english. we always understood although sometimes it took awhile. remember - you're in their country!

I can't wait to go back. really absolute paradise. if you're too picky and high maintenance... go to Dreams.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
11 Thank namenotavailable
Chester Basin, Canada
Reviewed 4 December 2009

I had the opportunity to visit Huatulco on a business trip recently, first leg at Las Brisas and lastly at Dreams Resort across the water.
This property used to be a Club Med and is typical of the Club Med style, large, sprawling , everything far away. Room blocks spread out on outer edges.
Unless you like a long walk manipulating lots of stairs and hills you must catch the carts !
This complex is NOT ADVISED for mobility challenged people !
The resort has pretty grounds with lots of bird species and has tons of tennis courts with bleachers plus indoor squash courts , plenty to take part in for your athletic types.
The food was mediocre and inconsistent. For the size of this resort the pool and beaches ( 3 small beaches in total ) were extremely small. Sand dark and very coarse, not a beach for those who enjoy beachwalking or space. Snack bar kind of pathetic and rooms stark white. We unfortunately got stuck in the dungeoen which was basement with no balcony, just a window looking up.
We did see other rooms collegues were in that were much nicer than our assigned room however so there are better accomodations
I didn't care for the long walks too and from my room and often the cart was full of passengers. If you happen to forget something in your room, you're messed !
The carts run both directions on a very steep and turny single route so be prepared for lots of backing up to make way for other carts oncoming.
I never did truly find my way around, lack of signage for sure !
Plenty of black iguanas on the water walkway and by the way, the water walkway is the best trek to take getting around as you near get hit by using the cart road, heads up on this ! You would never dare send a child back to the room un-accompanied by an adult, it's just too dangerous in this respect so please beware.
Las Brisas is a bit remote, it stands alone in the opposite direction on Dreams and Barcelo hotels. Ironically I takked to many visitors at Las Brisas and many loved it, repeat clients who come back year after year. I don't share the appeal.
If the price is right which is usually is at this hotel and you know you are spending plenty of time off site perhaps it may be an option, other than that I don't at all recommend it.
English is slight here except front desk staff who were nice and very helpful.
Staff do aim to please though and this was appreciated of course.
Huatluco is a wonderful destination, so serene and peaceful, I loved it !
At Las Brisas catch a gorgeous sunrise at Hidden Beach, spectacular at 6.20 am
Everyone enjoy your stay regardless of which hotel you choose, the surrounding area is lovely !

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business