“Some slippage”

Las Hadas By Brisas
Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Manzanillo
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We recently returned from our third trip to Las Hadas. I would like to say our third trip was better than the last, I can't, however, in good conscience say that it was. Yes, some of the people there were wonderful (a shout out to lobby bartender Efraim, 'egg guy' Alejandro, front desk guy Rudolpho, and porter German), the breakfast buffet were always great and Legazpi a-la-carte restaurant was superb, there were some definite downers. Los Delphine's restaurant always seemed in a state of disorganization, and the buffets there were fair to middling. Some of the menu items were wonderful, though. We went on the Brisas Club plan and have always liked hanging out at the exclusive pool. This time we were met with boorish people, who talked very loudly and we're bent on disrupting everyone's quiet enjoyment of this area. We weren't impressed and were forced to go elsewhere. There were other irritations that were still there from previous visits, mostly being chased around to sign the bill. All in all, good but not great. Not sure if we'll be back.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank stansdad
Alejandrina N, Director Comercial at Las Hadas By Brisas, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Thank you very much for your comments in regards to your stay at Las Hadas Golf Resort & Marina Manzanillo, We appreciate the recognition of our staff who provided quality and friendly service.

We also appreciate the valuable information in regards to your stay, we will take this information to make sure to make the necessary changes to ensure positive experiences for our guests, please accept our apologies and hope that on your next visit, we will find a way to show our appreciation

There are newer reviews for Las Hadas By Brisas

Reviewed 28 February 2014

This hotel/resort is so close to being a 4 star, but misses the mark in some key areas.
When we arrived at the airport, we were directed to 2 wrong vehicles going to other places before they told us the correct one which they had to request separately as they underestimated transportation requirements for the number of guests and luggage.

We were greeted graciously by the staff and check in was relatively painless.

Rooms: For some reason, they install/uninstall the locks on the safes around the rooms as they're occupied, rather than leaving them installed and providing keys, or better still, having an electronically controlled steel box like most hotels. It took 3 nights to get our safe set up (lock installed). The room we reserved with a king bed still had an old invoice from a guy in November (we were there Jan 10-17) and garbage was not cleared out. The bed was as hard as a rock and I was up literally all night as well as the air conditioner making the worst racket, banging and rattling and dripping on the floor making it slippery! You could feel the dirt on the floors (our socks were filthy), and the mould in the washrooms was beyond belief. A light fixture actually fell on my head while I was on the toilet in the middle of the night! There were also tons of these tiny little flea-like bugs all over the washroom counter. The chair was also missing at the desk in both rooms.
We were moved the next night to a room next door but with 2 double beds now, rather than a King. They could have done better here and should have upgraded to another room with a King bed.

Services: We were fitted with wrist bands (all inclusive; more on that later) but the staff ran after us for the full week asking us to sign chits/receipts. What on earth for? This was an inconvenience having to wait for staff to get your chit together all the time before you could leave.

Excursions: We signed up for 2 deep sea fishing trips. Both trips, they start trolling right from the harbour out to the deeper sea (changing hoochies on the way). But this way you arrive at the prime waters for the big fish late. For the 3rd trip, Claire (who was selling them) we told her ONLY if the trip is a straight ride out to the fishing waters (no trolling on the way), most of the time being spent out there and a fast trip back; no trolling to and from the fishing grounds. She assured us that is what we would get. Well, guess what, that's not what we got. They dropped the lines in the water just out of the harbour and we were in for a repeat of the other 2 trips. We were very clear about this. We told this to Clair and of course she offered another excursion at a reduced rate; not good enough and we'd been out enough by the 3rd trip and were leaving the next day. The fishing was fun though te 3rd trip was not what we agreed upon. I did manage a video of a massive dolphin pod though which made the entire trip worth it for me!

The excursion into old Manzanillio was a disappointment. Very depressed and impoverished! The guide also took us by a spot where there were a bunch of iguanas sunning themselves but only gave us about 1 minute out of the bus before he hurried us back. Heading back to the resort, we stopped at yet another souvenir place where he left us for almost an hour (I suspect he had a vested interest here); I would have much preferred to spend more time watching the iguanas than the cheap tourist trap!

The party boat with el capitan was actually a lot of fun and was the most laughs I had the whole time there. I actually felt entertained but again, had to leave the resort to do so.

Food: The food was just OK, nothing special. The breakfast omelette bar was OK, but again, by cheaping out on the slightest of expenses, (proper covers for the omelette condiments) there were bugs and flies in all of the containers and forget about maple syrup for pancakes; you can't get near it as it was being protected by several wasps. The setting was nice, but again, we had to walk down 61 steps for breakfast, only to have to go back up to our room to prepare for the day. Too many stairs and we were told we couldn't get a golf cart to drive us up.

The food at the Dolphine's restaurant was limited in variety and quantity; they seem to run out of everything. It's too bad that after a log day the only way to get dinner (other than a reservation) was to have to go all the way down to the beach, to have to come all the way back up 61 stairs to settle in for the night! Not good; there should be more places to eat. Again by saving small costs, the impact is large. We did eat at the a la carte restaurant but it required reservations eventhough each night it was not even close to full. Again, I think this was the resort cheaping out on employee costs to save money which really took away from the 4 ½ star resort feel we expected.

Entertainment: Well, except for their Thursday Mexican night, there was NO entertainment. At the "entertainment counter" poolside sat 2 lonely ping pong paddles and a ping pong ball. That was it, they didn't even have pool toys or staff-lead activities to get guests into the party mood at all.

They seem to herd the guests around the few hotel areas to reduce employee costs. The bar at the pool (therefore the pool as well) closes at 6pm so if you want a swim, drink or to use the washrooms (which are locked at 6) after 6 you're out of luck. The nearest washroom is either 5 flights of stairs up in the lobby or way over at the Dolphin restaurant. At the same time the pool bar closes, the restaurant opens, pooling guests there, then a little later the bar in the lobby opens, pooling guests there. It felt like we were being herded around the hotel for their convenience.

All Inclusive: The brochure and their own ads in the rooms declare 'all inclusive' including 'domestic beers' and other spirits. Well, the only beer they don't charge for is draft which was the pitts! This should have included Mexican brands of beer, but didn't. The 4 pintettes of beer in your room are a joke, and they don't give you 4 more the next day, they just top off what's left (if any) to a maximum of 4 pintettes (1/3 size beers). This was really the pitts; I expected a stocked bar in the room. We did as many others did; went to town and bought our own beer. They made it difficult to have a few drinks with your spouse on vacation in private!! NOT happy about this at all; especially with the 2 beds! Also again, with an all inclusive band, why were they chasing us to sign chits?!

When the pool was open, the service was absolutely excellent! The staff were very attentive and I even managed to negotiate them to take my catch (fish) to the restaurant, have it cooked and bring it back to me poolside. I just expected the fish, but they dressed it up with rice and some lovely grilled vegetables as well for my hubby and I. Service for other things like the lock previously described, fresh pillows and additional coffee/creamers was non existent; after 6 calls, they still never came!

Departure: This was a joke; 2 flights leaving within an hour of each other; they way underestimated the vehicles required to move the number of people and luggage that had to be moved. We were at least 1 hour waiting around to leave for the airport after the time they asked us to be ready to leave. They even hired a taxi for my husband and I with our luggage.
We won't ever go back but that's because we like 4 ½ or 5 star resorts and this sure ain't either!

Overall, this would be worth the value if they reduced the star rating closer to 3 - 3 1/2 where it should be then it would have been great; my expectations would have been more in line with the reality of the resort services. Oh well, both coasts of Mexico done, time to head off to Europe next year!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Michelle S

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments and specially the attention to detail of your description regarding your recent stay at Las Hadas Golf Resort & Marina Manzanillo.

We sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations about the hotel and our service. We always strive to provide good quality service to our guests from the very beginning throughout the whole stay.

We are in the process of purchasing electronic safety boxes for all rooms as well as several upgrades and working with our staff to ensure efficient management and appropriate staff in-service training.

On Behalf of the entire team at Las Hadas Golf Resort & Marina Manzanillo, we thank you for your visit.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Just returned from a week all-inclusive at Las Hadas after a less than pleasant travel day with Air Transat/Enerjet. A big thanks to this hotel for the sandwiches and coffee that were provided to us on our arrival at 11:00 PM, seven hours after our expected arrival time, which was after the hotel's buffet had closed.
This was my 15th all-inclusive vacation and it was definitely very relaxing as others here have mentioned. It was the first time ever that we never had to hurry down to find a place on the beach. Many chairs, tables were available and don't forget to ask whoever is working at the beach towel stand for the mattresses, comfy!
The staff in general were friendly and helpful, however the servers at Delphines could use a little help. Our last evening it was incredibly hard to get a menu, as was mentioned in another review here. It became a self serve for me, after 10 minutes of waiting I helped myself to a menu, gave our order to another waiter who then related the order to our server. It continued with trying to order from the dessert menu ... lol, yeah maybe a little less chitchat and more service??
Knowing this resort had many stairs I still asked for a room with a view and was not disappointed. The walk up and down those stairs were great for burning off those extra calories consumed at the great breakfast buffet.
There are warnings about the sea urchins and we saw people fishing them out of the water every day. I did see one local get bitten and this young man looked like he was in extreme pain ... so beware. After that I only went in with water shoes.
One thing that I did know ahead of time was the fact of no entertainment other than the Mexican night, which was great, and the guitar player on BBQ night. Evenings were spent in the lobby, checking info. on our tablets, meeting people and watching music videos from the '80s!??
This trip was bought last minute so all in all, a good value.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Alejandrina N, Director Comercial at Las Hadas By Brisas, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Thank you very much for your comments in regards to your stay at Las Hadas Golf Resort & Marina Manzanillo, we appreciate the recognition of our staff efforts to provide quality and friendly service, we are glad that you had enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

After taking my family to several different resorts in Mexico I finally convinced my parents to join us. We had never been to Manzanilla and Las Hadas looked like a beautiful resort. The resort is so quiet it became what I would say just plain boring. We were not looking for retirement we just wanted to have a fun vacation. We did take a trip to go see the sea turtles and mangroves, but we had to do all the arrangements ourselves because the concierge in the lobby would not help us. And then when we did ask for information of any other activities, we didn't get much help. Important note to families with children, the concierge informed us that are not allowed in the ala cart restaurants. The buffet was only open for breakfast this is the only good meal you will get. If you are diabetic or have celiac decease good luck eating lunch or supper. Dophinos was the restaurant it had a choice of "buffet" for supper. The "buffet" consists of six trays of food or order off the menu that never changed over the week. By the end of the trip I was really getting annoyed that I had to sign the bill after each meal or got drinks at the pool or beach. I looked at the charges on some of the bills I signed the prices were ridiculous I was glad my trip was all inclusive. I will come back to Manzanilla it is a great city, Las Hadas, however, I will remember only in pictures. They don't have queen beds in the quad occupancy rooms so prepare to fight for covers in the bed

1  Thank Neilio S

We sincerely apologize for not meeting all of your expectations about the hotel and our service. It is important to tell a characteristic of Las Hadas Manzanillo is a hotel to rest and relax completely. We do not want to change that including loud music at the pool, shows, games and great activities, it is not our concept. And many of our frequent visitors appreciate this.

We will take your feedback to make some adjustments in our most important departments such as Food & Beverage and Entertainment according to us at the Lobby Bar.

I hope to have the opportunity to personally meet you in your next stay in which I am sure will improve your perception fully.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Spent a week at Las Hadas from Feb 4 to Feb 11. Traveled with our teenage son.

Thought the hotel was beautiful as were the grounds. The rooms need updating but they were perfectly fine given that we only spent time in the room to sleep and shower. Loved the big balconies. One night our air conditioning quit working but we went to the front desk the next morning and it was fixed that day.

The best thing about the resort were the workers - from the cleaning staff, groundskeepers, waiters/waitresses and vendors. It didn't matter who you met they always greeted you with a smile and were very appreciative of any tip left for them. They were not pushy at all.

The beach was nice but small (as we knew from reading other reviews) with only a few sea urchins in the water. The water was very clear so if you watched, you were able to see them.

The food was great. The breakfast buffet had lots of fresh fruit, omelettes which were cooked in front of you with your choice of filling, yogurt, cereal etc. For lunch there was a beach hut where you could order a hamburger, hotdog, guacamole etc. which was always good. For lunch and supper you could eat at Dolphines where they had a buffet or you could order from the menu. They had a great selection of fresh salad which was appreciated. The view was outstanding.

Our TransAt rep (JC) was amazing and provided us with lots of useful information. We felt very safe walking in the Village. People need to do their homework and determine where they are going rather than complaining when they get there. We knew there were lots of stairs but we certainly didn't mind the exercise however some people would have difficulty.

I guess the only thing that we missed was the nightly entertainment. For my husband and I we would be fine but with a teenager the nights were a little boring. There wasn't anything to do after supper.

The weather was absolutely perfect - hot every day. It's a beautiful place and I expect that we will be back.

Thank-you for a great relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: Was in Room 307 and close to everything. Beautiful view. The sunrise was stunning.
1  Thank ptherres

I am very happy to hear that you’ve enjoyed your stay with us, specially the warmth and friendliness of our staff.

On Behalf of the entire team at Las Hadas Golf Resort & Marina Manzanillo, we thank you for your visit and look forward to receiving you in the near future.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We just returned from a stay at Las Hadas last week and while this grand dame of Manzanillo still has movie star good looks (especially the grounds), it could use a nip and tuck. Overall we loved our stay and we will be back. I've stayed everywhere from the Ritz in Paris and the Dorchester in London to a Motel 6 in Southern Californin's Inland Empire and everywhere in between so I have some perspective. I'll break it down good and bad:

Good: The views are stunning! The view from our room (185) was truly breathtaking. The price is right (we got the rate $190 per night all-inclusive including tax + our two kids were free). The service is very friendly and attentive--shout out to Claire who organizes the diving, etc. She was awesome! The lobby bar is lovely. Pool was big enough that it never felt crowded and the beach is so accessible and very nice. We were warned of sea urchins but never encountered any. We felt very relaxed, the kids had a ball. The breakfast was served in a lovey open-air dining room that overlooks the pool and beach--very nice. Also dinner was served in a beautiful palapa overlooking the bay called Les Delfines. The settings of both meals were great (more on food below). The rooms are clean and spacious, but need updating (chipped tiles, threadbare towels, rust stains, etc.) but for the price--and hey it's Mexico--it's all tolerable.

Bad: The food is not great, it's not terrible but it's just OK. With perhaps a new head chef and a little overhaul this could be easily remedied. If we had paid a la carte prices for the food we'd have probably been more disappointed, but bc it was all included we were OK with it. The other negative was the shabbiness of the bathrooms and the swim up bar, (missing tiles, moldy grout).

Overall though again I would recommend as a great value for a still quite lovey resort. It's still fun to imagine Bo Derek running on the beach back in the "10" days. We hope by our next visit they up the food quality!

Room Tip: Don't go too high if you don't like stairs. Room 185 had a fabulous view!
2  Thank NellesMama
Alejandrina N, Director Comercial at Las Hadas By Brisas, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

We also appreciate the valuable information in regards to your stay, we will take this information to make significant changes in the quality and presentation of the food in our restaurants, As well as our cleanliness standards.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your comments with Trip Advisor’s community.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I wish I could start off this review with good comments. I'm not much of a hard person to please. But this resort is nothing like it is made out to be. I was highly disappointed with a number of things. To start it off, I was very unimpressed with the food, they had a TERRIBLE selection especially for supper. After a long day of either sightseeing or spending the day on the beach, you expect/want a nice meal. Except that wasn't the case. The "buffet" consisted of maybe 4-5 different things to choose from, a salad bar that didn't look fresh, and desserts that had been sitting. I never left full after a dinner at this restaurant called the Dolphines. Also not sure why at the end of each meal, or even grabbing a drink or two we needed to sign a receipt, we had all inclusive bands on.
The breakfast was slightly better than the supper "buffet". You could have an omelette made for you if you wished, or choose from a few other pre-made dishes. Yogurt and some fresh fruit was available if you wanted. I left more full at breakfast than I did at supper.
Las Hadas is in desperate need of renovations if they want to be considered a 4.5 star.
Not to mention that there was no entertainment whatsoever. There's no nightlife at this resort, I'm not sure what you're expected to do at night. That was a huge disappointment.
I could go on and on about more things, but I'll just say, if you're planning on going to Manzanillo, choose another resort and stay away from this one. Save your money.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Integirl

We sincerely apologize for not meeting all of your expectations about the hotel and our service. We will take your feedback to make some adjustments in our most important departments such as Food & Beverage and Entertainment and also investments in equipment and rooms.

Jorge Garibay / Dirección General