“" What a Disaster of a Hotel/Resort"”

Las Hadas By Brisas
Ranked #4 of 53 Hotels in Manzanillo
Brentwood, California
“" What a Disaster of a Hotel/Resort"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

When I first started to write this review, I tried to find some positive comments to share with my TA family. Unfortunately, there are no words other than some four letter words that I could have utilized. However, I'm keeping my composure and will write this long and honest report/review.

This was our first time traveling to Mexico and the only reason we traveled to Mexico was to attended my niece's 15th birthday celebration. Her dad is of Mexican descent and my cousin is of Puerto Rican descent. We only typically travel to Puerto Rico. But, we felt that we needed to be there and make this very special for our niece.

For an entire month, I was communicating with the hotel's concierge. I had numerous questions and requests. One request was to please have a crib placed inside my daughter's room for my 2yo grand-daughter. I also requested the newer rooms for my family. According to the concierge, everything would be in order upon our arrival. However, the newer rooms would be based on occupancy. I get it.

We arrived at Las Hadas on 7/24 and was greeted properly by the doorman and the concierge. Great start. I walked over to the counter and started the process of checking us in. My wife and family were given a cool towels and cool drinks. Very nice touch. The place looked like it could use a good infusion of funds to spruce it up. What we all saw online wasn't the same in person. (photo shop). However, it wasn't all that bad, but it was not what we expected. As I continued with the process, I started to see some flaws in our reservation. I asked if a crib was placed inside my daughter's room. The agent indicated that a crib wasn't ordered. Okay, after 1 month of emailing back & forth with the concierge, nothing was notated. We then were told that we had DBL/DBL beds reserved. No! I specially requested and reserved king beds. Finally after 1 entire hour of trying to sort this out, we were all given our room keys. We were place on the same floor as requested (they got that part right). As my wife and I walked into our room, folks, the devil himself would be asking for A/C. It was hot as hades in our room. Not to our surprise, my daughter, son in law and 2yo grand-daughter also had a burning inferno in their room. We began to immediately sweat. I immediately went to the front desk again. Alexis assisted us (great FD Agent) and said that it would take some time for another room. So we decided to go down and get some food and drinks while we wait for our new rooms..

As we walked down to Delphins, we noticed that the resort was packed. Poor workers were skating everywhere to serve these guest. We found a table and sat down. We waited over 30 minutes before and elderly tall male server came over to take our order. We ordered some drinks whilst we waited for my niece to arrive and join us. The server quickly brought our drinks and disappeared quickly. We never saw him again... He was there serving others, but, never came back to us. My niece, her dad and cousin arrived to join us. This time around we waited for 20 minutes. I finally got up and found the hostess. She indicated that she would send someone over ASAP. This poor female server came over and was trying to hurry us in ordering. I finally asked her on why the delay then the rush. She mentioned that there are a lot of inclusive guests staying and that they are very demanding. So, I see... The inclusive guests take up all the staff with their never ending orders whilst the daily paying guest suffer. We finally got our drinks. But then, (here we go again) security approached us and asked if we were guests of the property and began to ask ask numerous questions. At first, I thought it was a joke. But he was dead serious. Now, I was becoming very annoyed.. I asked who sent him and he indicated that it was a manager at the FD. I then told him that we already checked in and that these people were my family. He insisted that we give him more information. I then requested that he go back and ask this so called manager to come down and please explain why he sent security to embarrass us in front of all these guests with his interrogative line of questioning. He did go back and quickly came down without the manager. The so called no name manager told him to tell us to come up if we wanted to address this.... Wow!!

As we were walking up to the FD! We were chased down by a server that indicated that we were not registered and the system shows no such name. I now had to explain to the server the issue we had at the FD and assured him that we are guests of the resort. We finally got to the FD and asked to speak to the person that sent security down to Delphins. No one knew of any security person being sent down. Or they didn't want to say.. After another 20 minutes passed and we got our keys. Keep in mind that we arrived at 12:30 and it was now 3:30.

We were now in separate buildings. Our daughter was given a nice upgrade and we were also upgraded. Our room was pleasant and cool. Not cold but cool. We didn't know how our daughter's room was.

We all went out to dinner with the family. Upon our return, we went to our daughter's room. As we entered, the heat that came out of the room could have roasted an entire suckling! It was hot. We called the FD and Mauricio (Great FD Agent) immediately sent engineering. The engineer arrived and looked into the issue and confirmed that the room was extremely hot and that it would take 3 hours to fix. So, Mauricio once again changed my daughter's room. Folks, this is now change #3 and it's 12:30 AM. We helped with the move and Mauricio gave her a very nice cold room. Mauricio thank you for know how to provide customer service.

All was well, until that night in my daughter's room. We were going out that night when our daughter called us in panic. She said to please rush over because our 2yo grand-daughter was cut over the eye and was bleeding heavily. We arrived within 3 minutes. I quickly assessed the injury ( I'm a first responder/emt). My grand-daughter suffers a laceration over her right eye. I plied pressure to help slow down and stop the bleeding. I told my daughter to call the FD and have security come. Apparently what occurred was within the bathroom, my son in law went to pull a towel off the towel holder to dry my grand-daughter. The entire towel bar came off the wall and struck my grand-daughter over her right eye. 2 center meters to the left, it would have struck her eye! Security arrived and by that time the bleeding had stopped. He assessed the area and administered some iodine to help and stop from any infection setting. He offered medical service locally and we refused. I told him that we would be taking her to her primary doctor in the States. What a nightmare!! And this was the very same night for our niece's birthday celebration. Yes, we arrived late....

I had enough of this property. We lost 3 solid days of fun and relaxation with all the issues. I packed up my family and we went to spend the night in Puerto Vallarta. Now, they know what customer service is all about. I will be writing a fantastic review of Fiesta Americana.

We got back on the 23rd very late. Mauricio was at the FD and greeted us back. He provided us an update on what the GM was willing to compensate for all of our troubles. Folks, it's not worth even writing about it..... Keep in mind the GM knows about all of our issues but never even called to look into the well being of our grand-daughter..

At 1 AM departure day, my daughter called me and told me that her bathroom was flooded and water was everywhere. We called, yes Mauricio and he quickly sent an engineer. My kids were without water to brush in the morning. So at 6 AM, I brought them over to our room. Poor things were so tired that they fell asleep. I don't think anything will be done or think that they even care. So, I can't wait to finally get back home.

I use to be a Service Culture Trainer with Starwood , opened several hotels and a beautiful resort in Puerto Rico..Management here are some bullet points that I recommend you do or don't.

. Train a trainer in providing customer service
. Have all staff and management take a service culture training course
. Separate your all inclusive process by having the names of the daily paying guest at the first check point. Security. This way the can check off those guests and radio down to the FD that Mr. Jones is arriving.
.Security should have cameras with them when responding to an accident
. Communication!! No one communicates on this property.
.Give your employees the empowerment to make general decisions and not look like they would be flogged.
.Service Recovery- how to recover from a major lack of providing CS? This is all part of service culture training.
.Pick up the phone by the 3rd ring
. Never place a guest on hold more than 1 minute
. Cross train staff at the FD.

Let me stop here.. This could be a 3 page report if I continue.

My final words are, we will never ever travel back to this property. Instead we will spend our monies in Puerto Vallarta. Some guests will deal with these imperfections and adapt. However, for those of us that are seasoned travelers, all we want is simple customer service and ownership when something goes wrong. Passing the buck only makes the issue bigger.

Outstanding staff: Mauricio, Noel and Alexis. Edwardo was very helpful as the voice of the property. But, upper management need to empower him more and not have to wait for the GM or Controller to make a decision.

Okay, I'm done.....

Angel

Sent from my iPad

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank Angel A
Alejandrina N, Director Comercial at Las Hadas By Brisas, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
We also appreciate the valuable information in regards to your stay, we will take this information to make sure it does not happen again, please take our apologies and hopefully on your next visit, we will find a way to offer you a great experience to show you our appreciation.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your comments with Trip Advisor’s community

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Finnish first
Rancho Cucamonga, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Just returned home form a week long stay at this hotel I will get right to the point and share the good the bad and the ugly.....upon arriving by first sight the place looked great I had read other bad reviews on trip advisor before choosing this hotel and still decide to try it . the grounds were well kept and beautiful ...yes its older but they do a good job lathering on white paint to give the place a fresh feel. However the the rooms were old , not clean ( hair, sand and bugs on the floor,) still we had a good size room that accommodated our group well we just decide not to walk around the room with out our shoes on b/c the floors felt dirty. The outside door to our conjoining room was broken which forced us to have to push a huge love seat up to in to keep it shut at night ....( we have small children and didn't feel safe that it wouldn't shut nor lock) My biggest let down was their gym . I feel as though they lied about even having one when we asked on the phone if the did they said yes...i was worried because they conveniently had zero photos of their gym and spa on the website...well i know why now. The gym was horrible , dirty , hot , had no free weights only a few cardio machines some didn't even work and the one weight machine they had was so old and rusted you really could not use it fully and honestly didn't even want to touch it. Felt dirty and not well ventilated such a let down for anyone who wants to workout on vacation . I would recommend going to GOLDS GYM a few miles away it was beautiful , clean and had everything you needed ... moving on- the private beach was the best beach visited and we went to a few. Very clean beach, nice little cabanas to sit in and the water is much clearer my kids enjoyed seeing all the little fish that swim around your feet . The pool was nice and big , they did have a fun water aerobics class that I enjoyed ( since the gym just wasn't an option ) . The hotel food was all right I wouldn't say it was great and the coffee was bad. If you want great food do the drive into town and go eat at all the great restaurants that line the streets. For the hands down best food head to JOHNNY'S SUPER CARNICERIA ( call for directions 314-336-6441) it is the best , nicest people working there even the owner "Johnny " him self may drop in to greet you and ask how your loving your stay in Manzanillo ! Do not leave here with out venturing out to this place. The meat is delicious and organic ! thats right I said organic meat in mexico !!! try the carnitas.For fun out door adventures Head to the nature camp for a good time had by all , you can zip line on a double line (super safe ) my kids even zip lined the mini line. Really nice staff (give them a call 314-101-9949) who speak perfect english for those who aren't spanish speaking and want to understand what their saying when zipping thru a jungle a few hundred feet up ! Salto is a must , as well as fishing for vela and shopping down in the central area. Hope the review helps anyone wanting visit beautiful manzanillo mexico . Check out Las Hadas beach it is lovely just think twice before booking a room ask around for Johnny's super carniceria and the nature camp both were highlights of our trip.

Room Tip: get a room close to the beach , ask for a upgraded room, don't bother if you are a avid gym goer...
3 Thank susie m
Alejandrina N, Director Comercial at Las Hadas By Brisas, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Thank you very much for your comments in regards to your stay at Las Hadas Golf Resort & Marina Manzanillo.

We appreciate the valuable information, as we will take advantage of you comments and work in our opportunities

I would also like to inform you that we are in the process of renovating our gym with top of the line equipment as well as specialised flooring in order to provide quality workout experiences for our guests before the winter season.

Please take our apologies and hopefully on your next visit, we will find a way to offer you a great experience to show you our appreciation.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Beautiful resort, great view; big, clean rooms, very friendly staff. Lots of variety at the bfast buffet.

My only issue was that the A/C was essentially non existent in my and my colleague's room. The fan blew but the air was not cold. The room stayed at approx 78f until early morning. We complained to staff who said they would send maintenance while we went to eat but we saw no signs that they came to the room. I was too tired to complain again but my colleague did and they did offer him another room which he said was hotter than his current room. We decided that the hotel knew about this issue but since we were only there for a couple of days they could keep us at bay until we left.

We need to return for our project so we'll see if they do better.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank TtownChawk
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments regarding your recent stay at Las Hadas Golf Resort & Marina Manzanillo.

We sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations about the hotel and your comfort in our rooms. We always strive to provide good quality service to our guests from the very beginning throughout the whole stay. In fact we are currently working on an investment project to renovate all our air conditioning equipment.

On Behalf of the entire team at Las Hadas Golf Resort & Marina Manzanillo, we thank you for your visit and look forward to receiving you in the near future,
Irvine, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I booked 4 hotel rooms at this place and decided to do the simple task of changing from a single bed to double beds and according to the hotel supervisors, the number of beds in a room are based on availability and they could not change my reservation. I understand if you walk into a hotel the same day and they give you that response but I was trying to make the changes one moth in advance. that was one month before my scheduled stay! I had to make 3 different phone calls to the hotel and I talked to supervisors that told me to call back and talk to another supervisor and yet to another supervisor. This was insane!!! all I wanted to do was to get two beds instead of one. anyways, I ended up cancelling all the rooms and I would not recommend this hotel to travelers.

3 Thank Laura P
Alejandrina N, Director Comercial at Las Hadas By Brisas, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you very much for your comments.
We are working on the quality of service of our reservations staff. However, I must comment that the availability of two beds room is complicated to confirm because sometimes groups with plenty of time make their room block. Our inventory of rooms with 2 beds is reduced, so this time we was not possible to guarantee them.

Travellers are raving about these Manzanillo hotels

Medicine Hat, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Having been to Mexico many times this was a place I wanted to stay at for years, and it did not disappoint. I will agree with many reviews that the rooms themselves do need some updating, yet the entire resort was beautiful. The food quality was great for a one week all inclusive stay. The walk to Town was extremely easy once you found the path next to the golf course to make it work. If you like running hills this is a great training ground as there are many exceptional paths to enjoy.
We did the Las Brisas Beach Club that provided access to a very quiet pool. We only used this on the final day as the beach is our main choice to hang out, but if I return I will take use of this option.
For the price is is a great value in Manzanillo.

Room Tip: Recommend the Las Brisas Beach Club. Private area, beautiful buildings.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jamie M
Alejandrina N, Director Comercial at Las Hadas By Brisas, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you very much for your comments in regards to your stay at Las Hadas Golf Resort & Marina Manzanillo, we appreciate the recognition of our food & beverage quality and we are glad that you had enjoyed your stay with us.

We also appreciate the valuable information in regards to our rooms, we will take this information to improve the condition of our rooms.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your comments and look forward to receiving you in the near future.

Jorge Garibay / General Manager.
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

As a young boy, on a visit to Manzanillo in 1974, I first laid eyes on this mammoth undertaking. A romantic Mediterranean fantasy village that transports you to Southern Europe or North Africa. It has the look and feel of an old Greek or Venetian City, transported to Pacific Mexico. So if you enjoy this type of architecture you will love “Las Hadas.” I loved the beautiful vistas and the little hidden coves and secluded nooks with whimsical statuary and gargoyles that seem to have been in place since ancient times. Yes, the place needs some investment and infrastructure upgrades, but I have to give credit to management on how they are able to maintain such a huge property with a staff of really well trained and dedicated workers. Just keeping the landscape so well-manicured, seems unfeasible when it appears that Manzanillo is no longer a destination for the 'jet set' crowd, that packed the place back when the classic Blake Edward’s film “10,” was filmed there in the late 70’s.

So upon arrival I was met by Cristina who arranged a great room, a “fantasy suite” that I booked through their proprietary website. Hey Cristina, you owe me a welcome drink…LOL. The room was beautifully located and well appointed, although we had some issues that were resolved by the engineering crew. Keep in mind that this is a “huge” property and if you’re like me with (2) 4 year olds, you want to be near the pool, restaurant and beach. Cristina, thanks for the great room which was a stones’ throw away from all of these and also a duplex style.

The Palmar restaurant, where we had breakfast every morning was great, but it’s really hard to have a bad breakfast in Mexico, they really do that well. The staff was kind and attentive, especially Pedro who took great interest in orienting us and making sure we understood the lay of the land. My package was not all-inclusive and only included breakfast, but I would definitely recommend an all-inclusive package, if you plan to spend your whole time on the property, as the a la-carte option can get pricey, especially cocktails that go down so well at the beach or by the pool.

The amenities included a marina, an award winning restaurant (“Legaspi’s”), a beautiful golf course and a Spa, with a basic workout room. I did not use these facilities, but they are there if you want them. What I really liked was sending my kids to the Kids Club “angelitos,” where Maria took such great care of them and kept them busy. They did not want to leave and loved the face painting and the projects they made. This gave me and my wife time to explore the grounds, swim in the ocean and spend time relaxing in my private pool which was located in the “brisas private club.” Well it wasn’t my private pool exactly, but I was the only one who seemed to have uncovered it. It was located in the “ El Teraz” section, which had sweeping views in what had been a restaurant bar area. Magdaleno, my bartender, was very attentive and played very relaxing spa like new age music, which went beautifully with the sounds of the cascading waters. I suggested to management that they relocate the spa there and place a big Buddha statue on one of the terraces. A Jacuzzi/hot tub would work too.

What we all really found interesting was continuously watching the movie “10,” which plays in a loop all day and night (35 seconds from end to start). We became enamored with Dudley Moore’s character, “George” and with his obsessions and shortcomings. This movie is a must see! All in all it was a great time… what I missed was not being able to climb the tower which is doable in season, when the disco is open. I would have loved dancing there at night with those views. I also wanted to see room “420,” which was “Jennie’s” room (Bo Derek) from the movie, and dream about this perfect woman, in this mysterious and romantic setting.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the beach, and pool area, you'll save a lot of walking time, especially if y...
1 Thank Dave-NYC-2006
Thank you very much for your comments in regards to your stay at Las Hadas Golf Resort & Marina Manzanillo, we appreciate the recognition of our staff like Cristy, Pedro & Magdaleno. We are glad that you had enjoyed your stay with us.
Bolton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Hmm where to start!! upon arriving we had a room on the 14th floor yes spectacular view but the elevator was broken all week so had to hump it up and down not good.had to try and fix my own toilet cause it wouldnt flush,I had gonethere for golf which on 2 of the 4 rounds the cart broke down and on 1 occasion was told there are no more carts available for another hour which was pure crap there were atleast 20 sitting there..the food was dreadfull to say the least zero variety ,you had to virtually beg for bacon at breakfest.was starving at around 6 at nite guess what no where to get food all closed up so i kicked up CRAP ,and to me the worse thing about the resort is the staff not all mind you but everyone expects tips no tip no service !! well hell if there was service i would gladly tip!! a tip is earned not expected!! NEVER GOING BACK!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank manu4ever132014
Alejandrina N, Director Comercial at Las Hadas By Brisas, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments and specially the attention to detail of your description regarding your recent stay at Las Hadas Golf Resort & Marina Manzanillo.
We sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations about the hotel and our service. We always strive to provide good quality service to our guests from the very beginning throughout the whole stay.
Is important to say that the elevator has been fixed.
Like any equipment, this is subject to failure. But not this permanent state..