“Great place for family vacation”

Gran Festivall All Inclusive Resort
Ranked #34 of 53 Hotels in Manzanillo
Napa, California
“Great place for family vacation”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We were there the month of August, the hotel was full, the pool area was a little to crowded, but we adapted, there are so many thing to do with your children, we loved every little bit of it, the slides were supper fun, the kids club was amazing, the activities staff was very friendly, the show at night was very fun also, the only thing that was not the best was dinner, we enjoyed breakfast and lunch but dinner was not the best. We would definitely go back there

1 Thank napa94559

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Alhambra, California
Reviewed 7 September 2012

The resort is huge and beautiful, and have a lot of places to have fun, they have the big family pool, the adults pool and the children pool.
There are also tennis, basket, volleyball, fut-ball facilities, restaurants, gym, a theater, etc, the place is huge, clean and nice, but not the rooms.

I heard they have different kind of rooms some of the rooms has kitchen and some not.

We asked for the one w/kitchen because we got all inclusive but only for 3 days so the rest of the week we had to cook, but when we got to our rooms, there was nothing in the kitchen no plates, no cups, nothing.

In the bathroom there were only 2 towels but we were supposed to have 6 because we were 6 people, so we have to call room service asking for what we were supposed to had but the room service wasn't good neither because we had to be calling them to bring us what we needed.

The rooms are too small and they don't clean them as good as they should. You can see it in the sink picture I am posting. I took this picture from the bathroom sink and as you can see this was really dirty.

I think they changed the name, before it was called Maeva but I don't know if the owner sold the place or what really happened, but I heard that at that time it was much better than now.

But anyways, it doesn't matter who owns the place now, what it matters is that the new owners or the new personal in charges needs to do something about this because otherwise people is going to stop going there, and it will be really bad for them and for us, because as I said before, the place is beautiful and big, but the rooms poor.

Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed for a week. August 11th to August 18. Family of four.The hotel was out dated. The food was the same everyday. This hotel is not a five star hotel, I knew that reading the reviews of this hotel. But the food is free can't beat that we got use to it after the first day. Just adapted. We have family in Manzanillo we went into town. If you get tired of eating the same food you can take the local bus into town to the Walmart, six pesos a person. There are taco stands around that area. The waves at the beach in front of the resort were rough the first four days. It eventully they calmed down. But, if you want you can take a taxi to another local beach area called La Boquita, the taxi ride is about 30 pesos. The water is nice, warm and calm. Also, you enjoy the ceviche there too. We as a family got used to it. We just adapted to it. My kids didn't complain. As long as they are in the water no complaints from them. My kids enjoyed the water slide, the pool and the beach. The other hotels are probably in the same shape as this one.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Alex2732
Ensenada, Mexico
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We booked this location mostly because of the amenities offered for my 11-year-old son. Our family have been at all-inlusives before and didn't come in with too many expectations. We just hoped for a clean room, functional a/c, resort amenities, and descent food. I must offer this bit of caveat. Our family lives full-time in Mexico, yet we are gringos from California. We feel comfortable living, working, and playing in Mexico. Manzaniillo gives you a flavor to capture all three of these.
The week was full of other guests. I would suspect at 80% capacity. In that, were were the only other 'gringo' family. There were a few other families who came up to us who lived in the states. So if you are looking for a property where you might get less stares then you might want to look elsewhere. Please don't get me wrong .. we connected very well with different families each day. Even dined a few times with them. I'm just saying this in case you don't want to have this awkward realization. We're used to living that way down here so it doesn't bother us as much. At times I use it as a way to meet new people.

The location is great, with access to a fun beach. Be cautious. Not a beach to have little kiddos running around as the waves tend to crash close to the beach. Not a snorkeling beach for sure ... but if you love to boogie-board (which you can rent from lifeguards for $30pesos an hour) it is a blast. And do I need to mention the 83 degree water. Epic. The water park was super fun and the zip line was worth a few trips.

The food was typical Mexican buffet style breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you don't like Mexican meals-type foods (beans, rice, chicken mole, sopes, chilaquilles, enchiladas) then you must look elsewhere. Sadly, even the Mexico food was bland and uneventful. The only two highlights were eating of mariscos (seafood) at the ocean front dining facility offered only in the afternoons and the Italian food (but you must reserve by 8:30am each day).

The rooms were ample, clean, and we quickly learned that location, location, location is important on this property. I'd pay the extra to make sure you are in the 100's or 200's. Folks in the 300's on up had to walk tons of stairs to get to their rooms. Sadly the beds were hard and the A/C was lacking (I like it cold when I sleep).

The staff were friendly and helpful, even when we had check-in issues (our room key didn't work after four attempts). They finally moved us into a different room after I pressed them to do this. I must say the dance/entertainment shows they have each night was something my son enjoyed. Please be cautioned that the choice of costumes for some of the women dancers shows a little more flesh for a family oriented event. But then if you watched some of the Mexican novellas this was tame!

Simply, would I come back to Manzanillo? In a heartbeat. Safe town. Affordable. Friendly folks. Who needs to pay for a flight to Hawaii when you got Manzanillo!

Would I come back to this property? Very unlikely ... but mostly because I thought the food was below average. They should bump up the price and offer better buffet with different food options each night. But then having been there, and given the number of middle-class Mexican families (I say this with respect), this resort is marketing themselves in that niche I suspect. If they were to remedy this aspect I'd be back next year.

Room Tip: Stay in sections 100-200's. Be cautioned that the 100's rooms are great proximity to beach...
4 Thank Wavefarmer
Visalia, California
Reviewed 4 July 2012

My family and I went for 3 day vacation to Manzanillo for the first time. When we got to the hotel it looked really nice at the reception desk, but when we got to our room everything looked wrong with it. We upgraded to the "Platinum Area" thinking that it would be nice but the room was outdated, smelly, and the A/C was leaking a lot of water inside the room and unfortunately my 2 year old boy slipped a couple times because of the water. On top of that the technicians came to fix the A/C and they stoled money from our wallet that it unfortunately left behind as an accident.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!!!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Judy133

Travellers are raving about these Manzanillo hotels

Barrie Ontario
Reviewed 29 March 2012 via mobile

Arrival:30 minute ride from the airport. Arrived at 12:00pm. In our room by 1:00pm. Smooth and quick check in.
Rooms: in the 100 section.Rooms are dated but for the amount of time you spend there no issue. Bedroom with separate bath and shower and TV. Sitting area with 2 days beds and flat screen TV. Kitchen area with fridge and table. Also another bathroom and shower in this area. Sliding doors to balcony 2 chairs and table. 2 bottles of water in the room that are not replaced daily just ask for more to be sent or get at the bar. You are close to the disco in the 100 section so you can here the music but its not overwhelming.All and all no issues with the room.

Pools: Very large family pool and smaller adult pool area with lounging beds and bar. Nice place to relax. Bartender Xavier at the adult pool very experienced and has very good English.

Staff: The nicest staff you will meet at any resort. Service is excellent. Remember to tip for good service 20 to 50 pesos. Entertainment staff and shows are typical of most resorts but the quality of the shows are better than most.

WiFi: Was free with our all inclusive package. Works in the main lobby. Was faster than I thought it would be. It is also at the main pool but signal is weak. Just ask for a password at the check in desk. My password worked for the whole week

Food: not 5 star but always something good to eat. One ala carte restaurant food was good and service good. Not open everyday. Book reservations in the morning

Activities: there is no shortage of activities. Zip line,tennis,volleyball,basketball,soccer,watersides ,paintball the list goes on and on

Summary: Had a great time. Resort is very busy on Friday ,Saturday and Sunday. It is a weekend getaway resort for the local people. I have been to 5 star resorts in many different locales and always end up back here, would return in a heart beat.

Stayed March 2012
7 Thank BladeBarrieOntario
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2012

First off let me say that we got a great deal online ($2400 for a family of four fm TO). The reviews we read were mixed but we were looking more for a relaxed family vacation then a 5 star luxury one. Are expectations were exceeded and we had a great time. There was plenty of things to do for the family (kids 7 yrs and 5 yrs old), we went ziplining, played tennis, waterslides, beach vollyball, watched the amazing shows ( and participated etc. There was paintball, skating, archery and much much more. There was more than enough to occupy us and the BEST thing was the Kids club -a self enclosed, safe, huge area where the kids could safely swim, make crafts and play which was supervised by very compentant staff. You could drop the kids off anytime between 9 - 5 and go to the adult only pool and relax then pick up your children two or more hours later and find them not wanting to leave.... oh yes and all the above was included in your resort for FREE!!!!! seriously can it get any better? The bartender at the adults only pool made the best vodka collins with fresh limes, Andrea from the front desk spoke amazing english which she learned in three months (can you imagine learning a language in three months?). Wendy the student Massage Therapist on the beach gave great value massages and I could go on!!! We swam, we ate, we played and we made the most of what we were given.
IF you are looking at negatives you will find them anywhere. Yes, the grounds and rooms were dated but they were clean and well stocked. YES they didn't have the "snack bar" open during the week but honestly if you came to eat your way through your whole vacation then go on a cruise. The food was plentiful but not crazy like a 5 star would be like...personally that ended up being a good thing because I didn't want to be tempted to overeat too much during this holiday. Any issues that I had were promptly taken care off (fridge didn't work - was replaced within 15 min of calling! A/C leaked).
Tips = Pay the extra and get the 2 bdrm villa. Bring Bandaids with you as they don't supply them in their firstaid kids (note to Hotel - seriously put them in). Get a room in the 200's - its near the pool and restaurants. Take the time to learn a few spanish words, we are in their country afterall and it would be ignorant of us to expect everyone to know our language. Mind you we had no problem with communicating and they did their best to accomodate us even in their shows (which were fab by the way). MY husband wished the beds were more comfortable and that the air conditioning was stronger but I found them fine. I would go again for that price in a heart beat. Beach was ok, waves could be an issue for the little kids - be mindful...could use more umbrellas and chairs as it was hard to get a seat but there was never a problem around the pool. If you are high maintenace don't go (no offense but lets be honest here) it is a 3 - 3.5 and worth every penny.

Room Tip: 2 bedroom Villa's so that a famly of 4 everyone gets a bed. The one bedroom might have a bigger...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family