“As Always Delightful”

Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Manzanillo
Ajijic
“As Always Delightful”
Reviewed 11 September 2009

Once again we enjoyed this small and charming hotel. Yes the rooms are basic, there is no marble lobby, and no crystal lighting fixtures. It is an older, quaint, BARGAIN.

The employees always wear a smile. Monica will mix you a drink, and you can enjoy the sunset over the Pacific, from their "great room".

The beach out front is clean and safe, with easy swimming and small waves. And the swimming pool is not full of teenagers, or screaming toddlers.

Please visit them.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Ajijic Jalisco
Reviewed 27 August 2009

This small B&B hotel (about 20 rooms) is right on a long curving beach with low rise hotels and condos stretching off into the distance. No high rise, no "Miami Beach clone" resorts for miles. A quiet and safe location. Other more remote beaches are easily accessible by car, About 100 yards away is a stone jetty with schools of brilliant tropical fish, great for snorkeling right from the beach. Watch local fishermen pull in their nets on the beach right in front. The rooms are comfortable, some with AC, although you rarely need it on this temperate breezy coast. The free breakfasts are lavish. The great room opens to the pool and beach beyond, and provides free coffee for early risers. It also offers lunches, afternoon bar, books, and comfortable sofas and chairs and tables for enjoying the view in the company of friends and fellow guests. The kitchen cooler provides endless cold drinks on the honor system
Nearby activities include golf, fishing, snorkeling and scuba, shopping, and tours to many places of interest including the interior forests and the Colima volcano. Many good restaurants nearby. The center of town is a few minutes by taxi and offers many shopping opportunities in a small-town setting. This is our favorite Mexican get-away.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank mago17
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 3 August 2009

The Hotel La Posada is a great place to stay when visiting Manzanillo. We have traveled extensively throughout Mexico and in fact stayed at La Posada twice last year. I've found everything that they advertise to be very accurate. They do not claim to be a 5 star hotel so of course you will not have those types of ammenities. However, if you are looking for an inexpensive hotel, with fantastic, friendly and helpful staff/owner this is the place to stay.

First off, where else can you stay directly on the beach for such a price? The rooms are extremely clean, hot water always and a fantastic view of the ocean. The other reviewer is correct - no TV's, internet unreliable but hey if you want to get away from it all and just relax check this place out. The informal and welcoming atmosphere is tremendous. Breakfast is offered, cooked to order, every morning and is very good.

In terms of hospitality I must relay what happened on my last two visits there. There is coffee and tea offered every morning and not sure of the time they advertise, I believe starting at 7AM. Well I am an extremely early riser and love/need my coffee. The first day I came downstairs around 5AM. The nightwatchman acknowledged me, he didn't speak any English and I very little Spanish. He saw I wanted coffee and so he started to prepare it. For the next two weeks, he had coffee made by 5 or 5:30AM. On our return trip he remembered and began the early coffee service again. Now, this is something small but how fantastic and hospitable! This is the kind of place it is even if it doesn't have wi-fi and HD in the rooms.

Throughout our travels we have stayed at 5 star, economy and everything in between. Not requiring amenties, but regarding cleanliness and hospitality it gets a 5 star rating in my book.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Joe H
Mexico City
Reviewed 7 July 2009

I stayed two nights at La Posada with my husband in June. I live in Mexico and have traveled to many of its beach towns (and hotels) and I wasn't very impressed by La Posada.. Do *not* expect luxury in any way, although the staff is friendly and the rooms are pretty cheaply priced. If you don't care too much about nice amenities, and just want to hang out on a nice beach, this is a good option.

I have a mixed opinion on Manzanillo. It has a lovely long beach, but the city is very spread out, and in some areas, heavily industrial. This is good and bad. You can't walk anywhere, really -- a car is essential (though taxis are safe and there's a sitio nearby). But we had the beach to ourselves, which was lovely. The beach is calm and safe for swimming and the nearby jetty has decent snorkeling (just avoid the hooks from the fisherman everywhere...). Besides some really good restaurants (I recommend the original Los Bigotes) spread out over a large area, there isn't much culture. In fact, I'd rate it as one of the least culturally interesting cities in all of Mexico. We did travel to some of the areas where the locals live and found a fun bar, but that's because we live here and like to find those areas. There are some giant Cancun-style nightclubs, which we avoided.

OK, on to the hotel specifically:

Pros:
- good beach location, lovely swimming, soft sand and waves
- nearby snorkeling
- a/c in some rooms (a must-have!)
- decent breakfasts and lunches, prepared at the hotel
- handy system where you get beers/sodas from the cooler, and leave behind your bottle caps for counting at the end
- owner was friendly w/ us and explained how everything works
- hotel bathroom was clean, no major repair flaws, had hot water
- easy to get beach towels from staff
- restaurant/common area has nice tables, books/magazines to read/borrow

Cons:
- pool is small, old and dirty (at least while we were there, lots of visible debris floating in it) lots of time was occupied by a SCUBA class so we couldn't use without sharing with 4 divers
- no beach chairs or umbrellas directly on the beach, only on the large and unshaded concrete patio, which was very hot most of the day
- our room was "rustic" -- we had no TV, the bed linens were visibly old/tattered, the A/C sputtered loudly all night. (we probably would have liked the hotel a lot better if it had TV or wi-fi as there isn't much affordable to do in Manzanillo in June at night, so we got bored). No view of ocean. No fridge or anything like that.
- internet situation was murky -- we didn't understand if it was free or they charged; there was no wi-fi in the rooms but we were told the restaurant area had wi-fi for a fee, and their laptop was free to use
- hotel staff let us use snorkel equipment for free, which was nice, but it was very old (leaky) and probably not too hygeinic

I think some of our "bad" experiences were exacerbated by the time of year -- the rainy season. Across Mexico, it's very hot, rainy and muggy. Hanging out on La Posada's patio was just way too sweltering with all that concrete.

It's basically desolate in Manzanillo at this time. I'm sure the winter months are more fun (and better weather). There is also more tourist activities, like snorkel and whale watch trips, in the winter.

There is a noticeably large Canadian/American community here, and there are American stores like Starbucks and a mall/movie theater.

The surrounding mountainside near Colima is stunning.

Can you tell I have mixed feelings? It was interesting, but not a place I plan to re-visit.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JoyinMexCity
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2009

I have spent the last 10 days in this lovely hotel, located in Mexico's most charming city. Yes, all is well here: I did not encounter the flu, any drug dealers, any thieves or any of the other scourges that CNN has warned me against. Instead my body, mind and soul have been soothed.
I walk the streets around the hotel with no concerns for my safety, and have met no one except other pleasant strollers, both national and international.

The La Posada overflows with charm and hospitality. The rooms are most comfortable and the scenic views are without compare. The hotel is directly on the beach, and it is delightful to watch ships and boats in the bay and the fishermen catching what I will be eating for supper, and I must not forget to mention the beautiful sunsets.

I highly recommend vacationing in wonderful old Mexico. I encountered no problems of any kind beginning with my entry in Nuevo Laredo , the 3 days I spent driving to Manzanillo, and of course in Manzanillo itself. The La Posada Hotel and the town of Manzanillo are truly bright gems within this wonderful country. Come and enjoy!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank crosbytraveler
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 29 April 2009

La Posada is a great place to stay when you are in Manzanillo. It is located at the quiet end of one of the main streets that goes through Manzanillo. It is a small place, simple rooms, great pool and awesome beach. The staff is very helpful, everything from planning day trips to telling you where the best taco stand is. In the US we have been hearing a lot about drug violence, but in Manzanillo we never saw anything like that, it was safe, and never felt uncomfortable walking around the town at any time of day.... This is a great place check it out.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank ShawnPhoenix
edinburgh
Reviewed 28 April 2009

Had a great stay at La Posada. The views over the ocean are amazing and the lounge where breakfast and cocktails are served gives you a fine view of the sunset. Monica, the manager, was extremely helpful and organised a fishing trip with local boat owner Miguel
Fregoso.
He picked us up from the hotel at 6.30am and we set out before dawn. After catching many bonito and mackerel, he asked if we wanted to go after some real fish. We headed out about 10 miles and ended up with two trophy sailfish. Here's the photo to prove it.
We had a great stay at the Posada and wouldn't hesitate to return. Manzanillo certainly lives up to its claim to be the sailfish capital of the world.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family