“What you make of it”

Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Manzanillo
Langley, British Columbia, Canada
“What you make of it”
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Just returned from a week at Tesoro manzanillo (Jan 19-26).
I'd like to say that I'm not a picky traveller. If I book a 3.5 star I don't expect a 5. Tesoro is definitely no more than a 3.5 and this is the first time ever I don't think I'd return to a resort. That said, it's what you make of it and we did have an enjoyable week.

Rooms: Simple and clean. Beds were comfortable but pillows resemble sandbags. Cleaning staff was excellent and always refilled our fridge with water. Bathroom was also simple and clean. Sewer smell when you turn the taps on. We solved this problem by placing a wet towel over the floor drain. We were in 411 which I really liked. It's not in the tower so you have a seperate (much faster!!) elevator. We also took the stairs most times from the pool deck. View was nice. Noisy at night from the beach and disco but doubt there was a "quiet" area of this hotel.

Food: Overall the food was pretty good but became very repetative. The Mexican al la carte was excellent. Only real complaint was that from about 5-7 you can't get a meal. Buffet didn't open until 7 and snack bar closed at 5.

Pool & Beach: Both a disappointment. The beach sand was fine. The water was dark and murky. If you got past your knees you'd have no ideal what was lurking. It did seem to start clearing up a bit by the end of our week. Not sure what the deal was with that.
The pool was cleaned daily and chemicals added (watched them do it) but it needs a good scrub. The edges along the pool are covered in green slimy algae. Yuck.

Staff: Overall they did an excellent job. The bell boys were especially helpful. Wait staff was good. Compared to other places I found the bartenders boring. They did their job but didn't seem thrilled to be there. We didn't find any staff expecting a tip at all but they were of course grateful for them.

The weekends were busy, mainly mexican families. We enjoyed hanging out with them though and we didn't feel discriminated against so had no problem with it. Met quite a few people who were there on their second, third and even forth visit to the Tesoro. That definitely surprised me and I have a feeling they've never been anywhere else.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tina R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I spent a week at the Tesoro Manzanillo and had an amazing time there. People at the desk speak English and Spanish, all the people is very helpfull and professional. With AirTransat, Mr. Jean Clément Renaud and Miguel have a very strong knowledge of the area and can give good advices to the travellers. They are devoted to make our stay as nice as possible. I suggest to ask at the lobby if you are allowed to have a free access to Wi-Fi in the lobby area at your arrival. Wi-Fi is presently offered in the lobby only and the music at the bar right beside is sometimes a bit to high in the evening so it is hard to Skype. We were 3 adults in the room and had plenty space for all of us. Sand of the beach is a bit rough and water of the sea is not always clear, apparently because of waves and plankton. Pool is nice and clean. Food is good and there is good choice everyday. Some waiters speak French as well and Spanish and English and everybody is polite and devoted. Gym is not open 24hours. Animation team is great, the manager, Payo, is professionnal and is interested by the clients' comments about the shows, the animation, the music so people can enjoy their time. Good shows in the evening, great dancers, nice costumes. Amazing vacations, it is more than I expected of a 3,5 star hotel.

Room Tip: The access to the room from the pool is faster if not on the big tower because elevators can be slow...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Yes, Tesoro is a bit run down in some regards. There are cracks in some of the floors and some of the carpets have loose threads. This is not a luxury hotel.

That said, the food is great with lots to choose from (try the ceviche), the entertainment is amusing and the beach is excellent. We went snorkelling right from the beach by the hotel and it was very fun. Some people complained that you need to pay extra for top tier liquor, but I didn't care, I just drank the stuff that was included and it was fine.

The hotel has a number of Mexican families staying there, but that was part of the charm for me. That helped it feel like I really was in Mexico even when I hadn't left the resort. The kids are everywhere (the pool, the buffet, the disco) but we found them to be really well behaved and fun to have around. This would be a fun resort to go to with your kids.

The staff at Tesoro work very hard and we felt it justified to tip them regularly, about 10-20 pesos.

We booked through Transat and their rep JC was excellent. There was some confusion about which type of room we had booked and JC sorted it out and got us a great room.

We went in January, which I think is a quieter time for the resort. We didn't find so many line ups as other people described. Also there were no jellyfish on the beach at this time.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank floio
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 21 January 2012

We stayed at the Tesoro during the week of January 10-17,2012. We had a fantastic vacation and were very pleased with the Tesoro Resort. The staff were helpful and attentive. Our rooms were very clean, maid service was excellent! The A La Carte Restaurant was phenomenal! We visited both the Mexican and Italian nights. The Italian was my favorite, I had the Caprese Salad and the Pasta Puttanesca (?) and finished with the Tiramisu.....YUMMY!!!!! The buffets were okay, not outstanding. We really enjoyed the omelette station but the wait is quite long, as there is just one lady cooking the omelettes. They also hide the bacon at that station, so be sure to ask for it and tip the cook, she's working hard!!!!!
Another suggestion would be to walk down to Wal-Mart and buy your own bottled water. The hotel will only stock 2 in your fridge and they expect you to refill using large water jugs at the bar or in the buffet area (which is not accessible during the night), quite inconvenient and the water is lukewarm.
The beach is beautiful and you can't miss a sunset. Nightly entertainment was very amusing. All in all, a good resort that we will be returning to:)

** we also did a the Colima tour( T'loc Tours in the lobby) & rented a boat from the tour guys down on the beach for a snorkeling tour and the horseback riding tour......Awesome!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2012
B.C. Canada
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We have just returned from the Tesoro in Manzanillo. Our stay was 1 week Jan. 12-19, 2012. I did the research on the beach, but somehow I bombed. It is not a resort for swimming. We knew the size of the beach was small because it is in a wee bay, but by lunch time a skum starts to enter the bay from outer waters and makes it way to the beach frontage. This skum had an offensive odour similar to the air around a pulp mill. The odour was around the pool in the afternoon,.If the breeze is right, it will drift into the open air restaurant. A lot of guests assumed that it was sewer. Others said it was just sea water and still others said it was from the few fishing boats in the bay. We disagreed with all those suggestions. Rather, we think the current is right for this little bay, seemingly the smallest bay in the hotel areas and it simply collects there, and takes a few hours to wash out..The Las Hadas and Karamina Palace did not have this problem, at least according to guests from those resorts. Others we talked to have stayed previously at the Tesoro and agreed fully that this was their reasoning for staying elsewhere.

The hotel itself is great for a 3*. You will not want to be on the 11th floor because the elevator does not want to stop at that floor. It will on occassion, but it becomes irritating after the first day. Some guests changed rooms while the others learned to get off a floor above or below and take the stairs the rest of the way. I found the e-mail address for the resort before we left, so if anyone wants to request a room anywhere but the 11 th floor, here is the address:

reservationsmzlo@tesororesorts.com
and to the attention of Gabriela

Also, if anyone has a problem walking any distance, ask for a room close to the elevator. This place is like a maize to find your way around and the rooms can be a good long walk for anyone who is somewhat limited.

The desk staff are the most accommodating anywhere. The seem to never tire of the endless requests from guests. My sister asked to be moved from the 11th floor, and they were given keys to look at three different rooms before she found one to her liking. I noticed others getting the same considerations. I cannot say enough about all the staff in all areas of the resort. They cannot do enough for a guest.

The food is plentiful, the variety is very good, and as with all all inclusives, they get tedious after one week. No complaints on the food from anyone. There are not enough lounge chairs around the smallish pool. You do need to get up and get down there early and stake your claim. The entertainment is very good for a 3*.

While we did take a taxi to a good swimming beach for one afternoon, we will not return to the Tesoro because of the beach and the odour, a problem the hotel can do noting about.

The rooms are large. We were in 419. One of the best. All are musky. Take an air freshner. The beds are wonderful, but the pillows are incredibly hard. Prepare to be airborne in the showers...the pressue is amazing. Never a shortage of hot water. Good hair dryers in the bathrooms.

Anyway, I guess that's about it. Everyone seemed to be having a good time despite the beach, so it's all in what you want.

Room Tip: Avoid the 11th floor because of obstinate elevators. Ask for a room close to the elevators of you...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank ohmeohmy
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 13 January 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Tesoro resort from the 13th - 22nd of December 2011. It was a very spontaneous booking for us, we saw a great deal and went for it. After making the reservation I went back to look at the reviews and had some cold feet, as the majority said the resort was awful...

I don't even know what these people were on during their stay! Perhaps, they are so used to 5 star resorts they couldn't look past the little imperfections.
Tesoro was stunning. The view from our fifth floor room was like looking into paradise, a beautiful view of the resort's private beach surrounded by palm trees and blue skies. Heaven.
The room itself was lovely. The bed was huge and so comfortable, we just sank straight into it. The room was basic, but sweet and very rustic looking, which I loved. The bathroom could have done with a paint job, but was very clean. I loved the architecture of the whole place, lots of hidden coves and sweeping arcs. Very traditionally Mexican.

The food in the restaurants was very repetitive after a few days, but I found that the upper restaurant in the theatre usually had a bigger variety. ( I even think it could read my mind, I was craving some roast beef and mashed potatoes one evening and voila! ) The entertainment in the theatre was also fabulous, the crew worked so hard keeping everyone entertained on the beach during the day, and performing for us at night.

The service was excellent, my boyfriend definitely took advantage of the all inclusive drinks at the poseidon bar, and he was in heaven chatting with the bartenders as I sun tanned next to the pool.
I think we went at the perfect time, two weeks before christmas. During our stay the hotel wasn't busy at all, in fact out package group and some other Mexican tourists were the only people there. On our last day 5 other groups came in, so we just missed the Christmas rush. It was perfect, the beach was scattered with a few people here and there, but if you went down before ten it was deserted! People complained the sand was dirty, the sand was black in some places but was not dirty, it's was volcanic sand from the dormant volcano nearby... we also went to a beach which was purely black volcanic sand and was actually very beautiful!

As for activities, there was plenty for us 20 year olds to do if you had the cash. We booked a couple of tours to keep us occupied, the best of which would be the Zip lining tour! I would strongly recommend this to anyone going, no matter how old you are! It was exhilarating and instantly cured my hangover from the night before! We also took part in an eco tour where we got to release baby sea turtles which was certainly an inspirational highlight of our trip.
If you're thinking of going snorkelling, I would recommend just buying your own equipment and snorkelling along the rocks either side of the bay rather than booking a tour. We did both, and the tour was a disappointment, as we were given life jackets that we had to wear and no snorkel. Not to mention they released about 100 people into the water at the same time, scaring off a lot of the fish. However, when we took off down the beach by ourselves, goggles in hand we saw lots more beautiful fish and could get in and out at our leisure for free, sans life jackets. Watch out for the sea anemones though, my boyfriend trod on one and stung his toe.

The tours are a little expensive, but it's worth doing a couple of them. Other than that venturing off on your own is fine, it cost us 6 pesos (60 cents) to take a bus into downtown Manzanillo which was lovely. And we walked to a local flee market (in the mid day sun ... which wasn't a great idea, I was complaining the whole way, should probably have taken the bus)

All in all, we had a lovely time with lovely weather. I honestly wish I had never left.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Charlotatot
Medicine Hat, Canada
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I just recently visited Tesoro Manzanillo over the Christmas break for 2 weeks. We had gorgeous weather the entire time making the sand red hot but the ocean a perfect Temp. When we arrived we were Given 2 room keys, wristbands and 2 towel cards. Normally we would have also received a remote but the man who didn't understand English very well said tomorrow. Not really a set back except the remote never came. We phoned multiple times for anything and if you were lucky you got it the same day. The minibar consisted of 2 cans of Pop and 2 water and to get more the same day cost you 22 pesos. Laundry was pricy, took An hour to be picked up 4 hours to wash but they did a wonderful job with stains. The beach sand was kind of dirty and the first day I stepped on glass and cut my toe but the water would make up for it, so I thought. The water had something in it causing a bite/ rash of some sort on multiple people, no idea what it was and the staff didn't understand what we were saying but there's a pool! With a bar also however the kids were everywhere even though they had there own 3 slide water park and separate kids pool. Oh well maybe adult time will be at the disco (11 pm-1am) wrong again but not as many little ones. But beside all this the staff were awesome but idsuggest for families before couples or young groups.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends