“First time in Mexico!”
Review of Tesoro Manzanillo

Tesoro Manzanillo
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Manzanillo
Reviewed 8 March 2012

This was my first trip to Mexico. I travelled with my parents and our stay was from Feb. 20-27th. I researched the resort and read the reviews prior to booking so I had some understanding of what to expect. Having said this, I'm open minded and don't like to have any expectation and let my own experience be the judge. Our flight with Canjet departed at 7:05am, and was just over 5hrs. Upon arriving in Manzanillo, the rep directed us to our bus that took us directly to the resort, which was about 35 minutes from the airport.

CHECK IN: (No problem for us)

We were one of the first off the bus and headed straight to reception. Only 2 staff personnel were in the lobby checking everyone in so the process was somewhat slow but not unbearable. We received an envelope with our room number, towel card, 2 plastic room keys, bracelets and the remote for the tv. They will want the remote back upon check out so don't forget to take it with you when you leave. Unbeknownst to us, there is also a $7 fee (US or Canadian) for the use of the safe which you will have to pay upon checking out, something that wasn't mentioned when we checked in, so make sure you have money set aside for this. The bellhop guided us to our room and gave us a quick run down of the hotel amenities etc. We found him very helpful, super friendly and wiling to help.

ROOM: (Gorgeous view, clean and spacious)

We requested a quiet area of the hotel, away from disco, entertainment etc. Our rooms (304 & 305) were located on the 3rd floor with a cozy balcony and an incredible view of the ocean, the pool and surrounding area. The room was spacious, clean and well laid out. The easy to use safe is located in the closet and I used it to store my passport, wallet and other items of value throughout the week without any problems. The decor was simple but sleek. The king size bed was extremely comfortable. The bar fridge was stocked daily with 2 bottles of water and 2 cans of pop. I hardly turned on the a/c. The outside air was fresh without the humidity, plus the sound of the waves was extremely soothing at night. I'm typically sensitive to noise but didn't hear anything from the adjacent rooms. Generally, it was quiet but I was woken up early hours each morning by loud, unruly and highly intoxicated crowds who congregated around the pool post disco, which ended at 1am. This was a reoccurring problem that was quite a nuisance. The nightly entertainment was also very loud but ended at 11pm. I'm 35 years old and fairly tolerable but this was too loud and really disrupted my sleep so beware if you're looking for a peaceful rest. Our maid service on the other hand was spectacular. My room was immaculately cleaned top to bottom every single day. I accidentally spilled some wine on my bed one night and came back the next day to find a brand new set of sheets were put on my bed. There was never a shortage of hot water and I had a bath every single night. Towels can be changed daily if you so wish, however I chose the more environmentally friendly option and hung them on the clothes line to dry. Beach towels can be picked up and exchanged at the hut by the pool using your towel card.
We did not attend the briefing the next morning. We find it a waste of time and would much rather ask one of the reps or find our own way.

RESORT: (Strange layout, takes some getting used to)

The resort's layout is a bit awkward. The hotel consists of 19 storey's with 2 four storey buildings off to each side. The main lobby is on the 6th floor and there are 2 elevators. One operates levels 1-6 and the other (main elevator) operates every floor. Although we were on the 4th floor, the view from the 19th floor is something to see and I would really suggest you go up there and take a look at the spectacular view before leaving. The disco and ala cartes are both on the 7th floor. Some of the amenities include a beauty salon, spa, gym, tennis & basketball courts and kid's water park. There are 2 ala cartes (Mexican and Italian), one main buffet and a snack bar located by the pool. The snack bar offers more fast type of foods including hamburgers, hot dogs and fries. We opted for the main buffet which had more of a selection, healthier options and an incredible view of the ocean. There are 2 pools, one for the adults which has a swim up bar and one for the kids, which is separate but close by. Pool water was clean and at a comfortable temperature. Lounge chairs were scarce so if you enjoy sleeping in you will have a difficult time finding any. Some were in need of repair and as such uncomfortable. Our other issue was with the lack of tables and chairs around the pool area. If you wanted to sit down with a cup of coffee or play cards, you were out of luck. We did notice more tables and chairs being set up towards the end of the week so i'm assuming others complained about the same issue. The pool area can get crowded and loud so if you enjoy more peace and quiet, head to the beach. The staff had daily planned activities including water aerobics, beach volleyball, ice breaker games and dance classes for those that like keeping busy. The bar did get busy a few of the days we were there but the bartenders worked hard to serve everyone quickly and efficiently. Their brandy, chocolate monkey and red wine were really good. The staff also worked endlessly at keeping the pool area clean and free from debris.

BEACH (Small but quaint)

The beach is situated in a bay and isn't very long which limits how far you can walk. Lounge chairs were scarce and had to be reserved early in the morning to get a nice spot with shade. Sand was granule and didn't stick to everything. The water clarity and cleanliness varied day to day but we managed to swim in the ocean every day. A whitish film buildup would float on top of the water, i'm guessing it was some sort of a residue from the boats docking in the bay. Different coloured flags were erected each morning marking the weather/water conditions. We encountered some rough waves a few days into our vacation but were still able to get into the water. A few steps in and you will find quite the drop into the deeper part of the ocean so caution to those with small children. Although I never spotted any jelly fish we were told they are there, depending on the season. My mom was stung while swimming but didn't realize it until she came out of the water. She had no pain, just a mild rash that went away in a few days. There are a variety of water sports at your disposal including jet skiing, banana boat rides and many offsite tours.

SERVICE (phenomenal)

There are no words to describe the exceptional service we received during our entire stay. From the maids and general staff to the waiters at the restaurants, the level of service definitely exceeded our expectations. I went to the gym every morning. One day I noticed the treadmill wasn't working (one of the knobs was broken) so I went downstairs and told one of the staff at the spa. Within 5 minutes a mechanic came and fixed it. Now if that isn't service, I don't know what is. And this was consistent throughout our stay. If there was a problem, it was addressed immediately in a polite friendly manner. The maids deserve special recognition because they did a spectacular job cleaning our rooms each and every day. I left them a substantial tip at the end of the week because they certainly earned it. The best part of the vacation was that tips don't matter here. You received the same level of service whether you tip or not. AND it's all done with a smile. The staff is genuinely attentive to everyone because they want to be, not because they are getting anything in return. We had absolutely no complaints in this area whatsoever.

FOOD (delicious, plentiful and fantastic)

We only dined at the buffet so i cannot comment on the ala carte restaurants but the food at the buffet was absolutely delicious. There wasn't much in a way of variety but what they did provide had a lot of flavour and made up for everything else. We always found plenty of dishes to choose from. I'm more of a healthy eater and always found something. My favourite included their white fish, their cilantro salsa, their cream of broccoli or spinach soups and a vast variety of salads and amazing dressings. Speaking of cilantro, I noticed it was mentioned in one of the reviews as being overpowering and added to everything, which i can attest to is not the case at all. Breakfast was my favourite meal of the day. I especially liked the fact they had all bran cereal AND slow cooked oatmeal with cinnamon. Although we didn't have many complaints, our one big issue was the egg station. It's incredibly slow so if you like your eggs get ready for a long and frustrating wait. We addressed our frustrations with the buffet manager who was very polite and told us to simply order our eggs through our waiter, which worked only the one morning. The next day we weren't so lucky and were actually pointed back to the egg station. Needless to say we gave up on having eggs or omelettes for breakfast because we didn't want to endure the line. There were also plenty of free tables readily available.

SURROUNDINGS: (Safe, friendly and lots of places to explore)

Despite my initial reservations, I found this resort and surrounding areas to be safe. It's centrally located and within walking distance to restaurants, the local market, golf course, fast food chains, and shops including Walmart, where you can purchase everything from clothes to alcohol. If you're looking for a more scenic walk, head right up the street just outside of the main entrance. You will find a peaceful, scenic view like no other. The locals are friendly and willing to help any way they can.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: (exceeded expectation)

I was quite impressed with this resort. It exceed my expectations and erased any worries i had about travelling to Mexico. I wouldn't hesitate to come back and spend another incredible week at this resort.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank dsomerv
There are newer reviews for Tesoro Manzanillo

Reviewed 8 March 2012

Travelled to the Tesoro, Manzanillo on February 20-27, 2012. What a lovely resort. Very clean, staff are very accommodating, rooms were clean and large (we had a master suite with two balcony's that overlooked the pool and ocean). What a gorgeous view!

The beach was nice....but not very long.....it takes about 10 minutes to walk it as the hotel is lcoated in a cove!

A little far from the shopping area.....and if you are walker....be prepared for the very steep hills......great exercise though!

Would highly recommend this resort and it was reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Master Suite with balcony overlooking pool and ocean.
2  Thank Linda M
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We have traveled allot in Mexico but elsewhere also, always on the ocean so we are aware of the mustiness when a room has been empty and most of the drawbacks that you can encounter. We take hotel reviews with a grain of salt and we are not picky travelers at all.
We went to the Tesoro for 2 weeks expecting to go out for dinner, which is what we like to do anyways. Check-in was easy, we had a suite on the 15th floor overlooking the pool and ocean. We were thrilled at the size and layout of the room. They used to have timeshares and this was actually a 2 bedroom suite that was one of them, It must have been fabulous when it was new but it was beyond tired. The kitchenette was disgusting, it had wall to wall carpeting in the diningroom and living room which of course does'nt like the humidity. The bedroom was huge and the bed great. The bathroom was huge, it dark and and worn out but the shower was perfect. We had water all the time on the floor in the hall to the door, they came up 6 times to repair the a/c but it had nothing to do with it. It was actually coming up from under the tiles so it was a leak maybe from next door.
The first week was fine because all the room is is a place to sleep but it was a Mexican holiday weekend our first weekend there and the resort was over capacity from Fri nite to Monday. WOW is all I can say. There is a beautiful kids pool area but it was rarely used so we had (ALLOT) diapers in the main pool all day. We went to the buffet 1 nite and it was crazy; people cutting in front of you, bumping, rushing and the noise....we left. You are not supposed to reserve loungers with your towels in the morning but by 8am very lounger at the pool and beach had towels on them. The pool was disgusting! Monday morning when I looked down you could barely see the bottom of the pool because it was so cloudy. We had to fight for elevators. You could not get a bottled beer anywhere in the resort and the draft is well, draft. There is no imternational alcohol brands included, Baileys and others were served out of 1 gallon milk containers - it was mixed together!! No liquers here. We moved Monday pm to the Barcello and we had just a great time. Food, pools, room and everything else was great.
We thoroughly enjoyed the towns, found some great places to eat and drink and made new friends.
Bottom line is that we will be going back to Manzanillo but if you GAVE me a room at the Tesoro I would have decline.

5  Thank Gary-Melody
Reviewed 3 March 2012

We went to Tesoro Manzanillo, Mexico again for the third time. We reguested suite 402 and got it again no problem. It has 2 balconies and a fantastic view of the ocean. The maid Maria Gracia is fantastic and makes sure you have everything you need in your room. She is in and gets it done and out. This year they only put water and pop in the frig (no beer) but are willing to give you all water, or all pop or a combination. The buffet resturant's roof got damaged in the hurricane last october and needs repair yet but they have a temporary measure in use. The pool is in excellent condition and they repainted the blue around the edge one night after the pool was closed. They are always touching up the white all over the resort. The food in the buffet is average but always lots of everything so no one can go hungry. The snack bar food is not very good, and never has been, but a lot of people eat it anyway. The bartenders are extremely good in the snack bar and recognize us from the previous years, and the waiters in the buffet are extremely nice and try there best to please you. the furniture in the lobby bar that was so ugly and uncomfortable has been changed to proper small tables and comfortable chairs. The reservation restaurant is mexican one night and italian the next night. It is okay but we prefer to go and eat when we want to rather than have a specific time so we only went once this year.We always take the buses and travel around to centro or santiago or walk.
The main change this year was that you had to pay for the safety deposit box,
Our main complaint is the extreme noise from the entertainment people at the pool.
The whole area is very safe and that is one of the reasons that we have gone back and the price is reasonable especially for the one bedroom suite.

Room Tip: Email ahead and reguest the section you want and if you want ground floor or higher up
4  Thank JBJOHNSON
Reviewed 29 February 2012

My experience at Hotel Tesoro was great! The staff are so so friendly!! The resort, acivities, entertainment, food, beach, and music were great! The hotel is a little run down but we were hardly ever in there that it didn't matter. The elevators are extremely slow, but what's the rush when you're on vacation, right?! The stairs were a great option for us. On Saturdays there is a HUGE market that is about a 30 minute walk from the resort or a cheap cab ride. This is a great place to get souveniers! I found it neat and safe to go to Colima and see the big fish and the port. No one bothered us and everyone was friendly. Overall, I had a great time! The staff and other people we met on vacation made it all worth while. This is definately a resort to go to and have a great time while on vacation!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Had a really great vacation here! Travelled with my boyfriend and another couple. It was great value. We didn't spend too much time at the resort because we enjoyed exploring the culture. We booked excursions through our Transat reps (Jean Clément Renaud and Miguel) and we booked surfing lessons through a local guy. One of our excursions was deep sea fishing which was a lot of fun. The buffet restaurant cooked up the fish we caught and served it to us!

If you want to SURF contact Ricardo at http://colimasurfside.com/ !! If you email, don't be put off by his written English. His English speaking skills are great! He came and picked us up at the resort and took us down to the beach. He was very patient with me as a beginner. The water is a bit rough in Manzanillo but I still had a great time and Ricardo will not put you in anything dangerous. Ricardo ended up taking us snorkelling on the last day of our trip and I think he does other excursions as well. He's a great guy so if you're looking for a more authentic Mexican experience, talk to him!

Our room was nice. It was just a standard room with a king size bed. The bed was very comfortable. I did not notice a weird smell. Sunsets were gorgeous every night.

The buffet was good. The Mexican food was really yummy but when they tried to make "American" food it was not as good. But being in Mexico, I preferred to eat Mexican food anyways. The other restaurant was good too. Most people make reservations but we ended up getting in by going later (around 9 pm) and tipping the maître d.

When we were at the resort, we would sit on the beach. Sometimes we couldn't get beach chairs so we would just sit on our towels. There were jellyfish in the water but they are completely harmless. The ones that were washing up on shore were dead and one did brush up on me and I was fine. There's a market on Saturdays that is walking distance. Great place for souvenirs.

It's really just what you make of it... It's not a huge Sandels type resort but we had a great vacation because we don't enjoy spending all our time at the resort. If you are looking for a resort with 24/7 entertainment, this place is not for you. If you want a nice place to stay but enjoy venturing off the resort, I would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: We had a room close to ground level so we didn't have to bother with the elevator to go to the b...
2  Thank JBerg90
Reviewed 26 February 2012

The hotel was very nice for the first 2 days, and then we woke up with Legionaires Disease, from the mold in the A/C duct !!! We were sick in bed with a horrible bronchial illness for the remaining 3 days, and had to order room service. Still , really feeling too sick to travel, we had to get our flight anyway and return home, and stayed sick another week. At least we had a gorgeous suite with a fantastic oceanfront view . Choose another hotel to be able to enjoy your whole vacation, and not just part of it.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple