“We won't be coming back”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Tesoro Manzanillo

Tesoro Manzanillo
Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Manzanillo
Sechelt,BC
“We won't be coming back”
Reviewed 30 March 2013

This was a last minute trip for my 11 yr old daughter and I for spring break. We usually go to PV or Nuevo Vallarta or Cancun but decided to try something different this year. The trip with Canjet was fine although it involved a stop in Calgary and the bus ride from the airport wasn't too bad either. Check in went smoothly and we went up to our room on the 11th floor to change and get a bite to eat after the 10 hr trip.

The hotel is ancient but the view was awesome. Unfortunately the bathroom smelled of raw sewage so we closed the door and hit the buffet. The food was mostly unidentifiable so it was good to have little signs to tell you what was what. When we returned to the room the smell was worse so I inquired about changing rooms and was told I would have to wait until Sunday due to the hotel being fully booked for the weekend. This upset me so that I packed up and tried again with a different staff member. I was told again to wait until Sunday but I refused to stay in the room with that smell so I was moved to the 8th floor with a lovely view of the tent roof over the theatre. Great. I was told to try again on Sunday.

We settled for the 8th floor room and made the best of it. Beds were very comfortable and the room was clean. Saturday was spent at the beach and now I know why they sell sunscreen at 110 spf!! It was very hot & sunny - WONDERFUL - but we both got bitten by something in the water and then later swam past actual sewage floating in the water (it wasn't pee). Sunday we tried to hang out at the crowded pool (chilly) but there were not enough pool loungers so we shared one between us. Turns out it was a long weekend for the Mexicans so the place was heaving and both the beach and the pool were full.

Monday morning I returned to the front desk and was told to come back at 2pm. We finally received a fully functioning room on the 3rd floor by the pool four days into the trip. Now that we could fully unpack and settle in we turned our attention to the nightly shows, activities and excursions. We booked a snorkeling trip the next day that was a great treat but again got stung/bitten by small jellyfish. Intensely itchy ugly red bites after the rash went away. This is no fault of the hotel but really put a damper on my holiday. I spotted them while snorkeling and could feel the sharp stinging sensation when they got between my swimsuit and skin.

We also went to Walmart to pick up snacks, sunscreen and inflatable tubes for the pool. This was great once the crowds were gone. I gave the shows a miss since they were mostly pretty bad. The food wasn't very good and the wine, sickly sweet red & white, was the worst I have ever had in Mexico. At least two people I met got sick. The staff do work hard and are pleasant at all times although not always helpful. JC was AirTransat rep who really knew how to "work" it - nuff said.

It was all over before we knew it and at the airport they seized a bottle of Baileys that was packed in my checked baggage because it had been opened. I thought all liquids over 100 ml went in your checked baggage whether open or closed so go figure... funny they didn't seize my shampoo or lotion?

The flight back was horrible but we ended it with a good night's sleep at the airport Fairmont hotel. Glad to be home. All in all a trip I wouldn't repeat unless I spent more for a direct flight and stayed somewhere else. Manzanillo is a pretty place with lots to offer. There are no timeshare sharks and no vendors, plenty of gorgeous scenery and good excursions. The Tesoro is a hotel for those on a budget looking for a true Mexican immersion. My advice for Air Transat is to drop this really outdated hotel from your list since most of us aren't into slumming it while on holiday and the Tesoro does just fine catering to the Mexicans.

Room Tip: All the rooms are pretty much the same inside but we enjoyed 321 overlooking the beach and pool. 32...
8 Thank beachbombmom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2013

My daughters (8 and 10) and I just returned from a 7-day vacation at this hotel. We very much enjoyed our stay. The hotel was clean,the view fantastic, the food plentiful and tasty, the kids' pool fun, and the staff helpful. The weather was fantastic, and we loved the trip to the turtle sanctuary and the snorkeling adventure that we booked through Transat. I also really liked the fact that the hotel was walking distance to the small town of Santiago (good saturday market), and a cheap bus or taxi drive to the very authentic Manzanillo town centre known as El Centro.
For you animal lovers: If you see a street dog that you would like to help, talk to Veronica Rendon, the lovely woman who schedules the a la carte restaurant sittings and who can be found at the desk near the hotel's front doors. She speaks English and can put you in touch with a nearby vet (Dr. Jose Guedea Yanez). For a very reasonable price, we took three starved and mange-ridden dogs off the street: they are being fixed and brought back to good health over the next three weeks, to be readied for adoption. Please consider doing the same for a little mutt, wherever you end up in Manzanillo!

3 Thank mvb1826
canada
Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

Just spent a week at the Tessoro. Had a great relaxing vacation. This is not the place to stay if you are looking for gourmet dinning and top notch service. If however you want a beach front resort with easy access to the water this is a great spot. We snorkelled right off the beach of the resort. excellent!!! Tip - if you like wine with dinner bring your own. The house white and red is just terrible. Go to Walmart and buy something you like. The staff are very friendly and are always cleaning. It is an older hotel but the shower is excellent and the bed was comfortable. Fell asleep every night to the sound of the waves on the beach.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank kodedog
toronto
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Travel 2013-03-07 , paid $849. taxes in one week before going.

Air Transat flight was excellent , they brought the service up on their flights lately. Transportation to the hotel was ready, just buy a couple of Coronas for the 1/2 hour trip

weather: hot but not humid, some clouds in the second part of the week but pleasant

Hotel: has seen better days but very clean, typical 20 year old building with 19 floors and a newer 4 floor section. All rooms face the ocean in the tower. Elevator slow but not a big deal. Located right on the beach ( not 300 yards away like other hotels ) ocean is 10 feet from the pool...rooms were basic but with "YES LADIES ..."A WORKING hairdryer ( my wife is paranoid about that). The beds were very comfortable , we slept with the patio door wide open all night (13th floor) and we could hear the waves non stop. The AC and TV worked fine. They charge $1.00/day for the electronic safe which worked perfectly.

food: better than Cuba but not by much, always find something, omelettes are great, always pastas and fruits , you will not starve for sure. The house wine is vinegar.......snack bar by the pool has burgers and fries from noon on...buffet til 9 PM. A la carte ( mexican or italian were good and worth trying , the wine is better there ( bottle).

nightly shows were fine but if you have traveled a lot you will find the usual comedies/sketches and the typical dance shows. The disco starts a 23:30 til 2 AM ( we did not go ).

Manzanillo : is very safe , had a fiesta in town while we were there, took the local bus ( goes around and around for $0.70 ) back to hotel....also went to nearby Walmart, no problems at all.
taxi are also cheap, cheap , cheap. Went for dinner at a local restaurant ( EL TABLEO ) had the best Filet Mignon and shrimp salad with 5 coronas for $43. CDN. The have a local flea market nearby on saturday. walk to town using the short cut to the left on top of the hill and walk among local people ( several hotels for local people that way ) it will take you30 minutes but fun to do. We did not go on any tours as we have done so many before that it is all the same to us. the ATV tour seems to generate good feedback as well as the cruise on the big catamaran.

beach: is right there, dark sand but clean, some waves but safe, lots ,lots, lots of chairs

People: Mostly mid age Canadian from Calgary, Sask, Winnipeg and BC and a few Quebecors. One one couple from the USA but one the weekend, the hotel was full with well behaved Mexicans and their families. No teenagers even at spring break.

POOL: is nice BUT>>>>>KIDS IN DIPPERS SHOULD BE IN THE KIDS POOL>>>>at least 20 to 30 parents had their babies with floaters in the pool all day. By the end of the day, the water was grey with lots of broken dipper parts floating all over....the water cleared during the week when most babies/parents left on Sunday afternoon.

Service: was very good, I tipped with moderation and service was the same with or without tips. No employee ignored anyone and most were very friendly. I tipped maid $2. pesos a day and the room was well kept.

we used the front desk to buy pesos at 11 for $10. CDN don't bring CDN coins as they cant cash them , if you want brings lots of US$1.00 for tips , they work as well.

we had a nice week in general and we talked to lots of people, no horror stories anywhere, everyone was happy with their rooms and the ambiance at the hotel. The Airtransat reps were on the ball,thanks JC. We would go back there and recommend the place to friends but keep in mind the 3 star status so for picky travelers it might not be the place nor that it is good for teens looking to party. Feel free to ask me questions, I just love to talk about travel.

Room Tip: all have oceanview, try to go as high as you can for the beautiful view of the bay
9 Thank dan_g
Orillia, Canada
Reviewed 19 March 2013

My family and I just returned from a trip to Tesoro Manzanillo and the entire trip was fabulous. Although this is an older hotel, it is kept spotlessly clean and every room has an incredible view of both the pool and the ocean. Every morning we awoke to the sound of the ocean and every night we fell asleep to the sound of music drifting up from the open air disco. Over all the food at both the buffet and the al la carte restraints was excellent. Lots of variety, ranging from sushi to roast beef. We especially liked the omelet bar and the hamburgers and french-fries at the plapus snack bar.
The staff at this hotel is excellent! They are attentive without being overbearing. Everyone from the bus boys to the pool staff greeted us in a pleasant manner and went out of their way to be helpful.
While there we took several tours offered by air transat. The Colima City tour was worthwhile, but we would have liked more time to shop in Colima itself. The scuba dive and the zip line tours were great.
Probably our favorite part of staying at this resort was the shows. Every night they put on a live Vegas style shows in the theatre on the 7th floor. The shows were funny and family friendly with a more adult version in the disco after the main show. Payo and his staff do a great job of keeping the guests entertained both day and night.
Be sure to go to the Saturday flea market. You will find everything including the kitchen sink and have a great day bargaining for your goodies. The vendors in the market are very friendly and easy to deal with. And most accept US or Canadian Dollars as well as Pesos.
A great family vacation - we will definately be back

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Cbleggs
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2013

It's all been said before on here so I won't go on about the fact that the resort is a bit dated and loud. The service is average (better when you tip), and yes, the resort is loud. Very loud. We were on the 14th floor and it felt like the disco was in our room. The evening shows were incredible but I couldn't last more than 5 min. because they were way too loud. We could also hear them from our room. It made sleeping hard and we had to use ear plugs every night.
However, you get what you paid for and we certainly had a good deal. We also feel blessed to have escaped the cold weather here in Canada for a week so any inconveniences due to noise may have been worth it.

For kids, this resort rocks! There was a kid's club pool with 6 water slides and a shallow pool. You could just sit back and watch your kids, knowing that they wouldn't drown upon hitting the water. My preschooler spent hours and hours there every day and I haven't seen him so happy since last summer when we were on vacation at a lake. There's also a wading pool at the kid's club with a toddler slide for the younger kids. Again, very shallow pool.

suggestion: bring water shoes as the pool surface can be slippery!
You don't need water toys. The kid's club has tons.
Sand toys you can buy in the stores if you want them. Don't bother bringing from home as we did.
Also, the kid's club may be supervised but only for kids aged 8-9+. Even then it's sketchy. The supervision at the kid's club is sub-par at best depending on who's on. The older girl is amazing but the younger one does nothing!! The older girl played with the kids, taught them to play tennis, and supervised the pool. The younger one did nothing and when she was on duty you never saw her. Don't expect to leave young kids unsupervised here.

Make sure you ask about the camping night for school-aged kids. It looked fun. The kids slept in tents in the kid's club overnight, played games, and gave the parents a night off.

There's also the main swimming pool and it had a shallow kid's pool right beside it. My son had just as much fun in this pool as the kid's club area and again, I could sit back and trust that he wouldn't drown in the shallow water. It was deep enough to jump in too. For school aged kids, they'd have to jump in to the main pool though.

suggestion: bring a life jacket if you want your toddler or preschooler to play in the main pool. It was great for us!

Food - great for kids. Pasta at every lunch and dinner in the buffet restaurants. Pizza, hot dogs, and hamburgers with fries or nacho chips in the snack bar for lunch which was more of a restaurant than a snack bar. We tried both a la cartes and they need kid's menus or portions. My son got the same size plate we did and only ate a third of it. Also, there was no kid friendly meals at the Mexican restaurant. The Italian one was great though.

Smoking - HORRIBLE! Everywhere. If this resort wants to pride themselves on being a family-friendly resort they need to have designated smoking areas - not around the pool. I had to keep moving my son out of smoke. And the beach - cig. butts everywhere!!! It was disgusting!
There should be no smoking on the beach - AT ALL.

Water sports were minimal. To truly excel at being a family resort, they should have more family-friendly water activities. Maybe paddle boats or something for the whole family. The Kayaking was a highlight for me but that's all there was and technically kids over 13 only could try them even with an adult.

Again, if the resort wants to become more family friendly, they need to work on lowering the noise at night. The evening show was way too loud and not child-friendly due to that (as well as the content and costumes), and the disco was also too loud - though I appreciated the fact that it only happened on weekends.

Overall, the resort is a work in progress. With some improvements they could easily rise to a 4 star property for families.

Hopefully internet and WI-FI will improve soon as well. For now, only the lobby, lounge area, and pool area (along with rooms in that area maybe) have WI-FI access. And you have to pay $7 per day for it which is absurd!!

Final comment - I don't know if this is related to the resort or not, but approx. 60% of the people I talked to got sick at some point during the week. Many stuck in bed for at least a day, stomach problems. and many trips to the bathroom. I know this is common in Mexico but the number of people I talked to at the resort who had been sick seemed very high. My mother was sick for 3 days and is still sick now at home. The Mexican Flu caught up with me on the airplane home and I write this review between naps while drinking ginger-ale. I spent all day yesterday in bed. It's not the way I'd like to return home from vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up if you want a more quiet room, less bugs, and better views of the ocean. W...
1 Thank CalgaryGirlYYC
Tsawwassen, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We went on a pre-spring break early March trip to Tesoro, Manzanillo. This was our first trip to Manzanillo and our 13th trip to Mexico.

Overall we enjoyed our trip and would return if the price was right (ie couldn't find a better price in Huatulco or Cancun).

The beach is dark, course sand and the ocean is the pacific green but a comfortable temperature so swimming is pleasant. We snorkelled on both sides of the resort's beach and saw some pretty fish, a puffer, and the usual rocky sea life. We brought our own snorkels. The temperature was above thirty degrees and sunny every day we were there - beautiful - but be careful, the sand gets HOT, we all burned the bottom of our feet so keep your flip flops nearby your chair. We didn't have any problem at all getting a lounge chair either at the beach or by the pool.

The hotel looks gorgeous from the outside but, as has been said many times on here, is definitely looking worn on the inside. We requested a higher floor in a quiet area and when we arrived we were put on the fourth floor (two floors below the lobby) right by the pool and discotheque. The room was pretty with a huge closet and there were four of us so we probably would have stayed but after having dinner we went back to the room to find swarms of ants crawling over the bed and walls and floor and they had made their way to my daughter's suitcase. We hadn't unpacked so we asked to be moved and the gentleman at the lobby made it a bit of a hassle (felt like he thought we were making it up), but they did move us to a room on the 9th floor directly above the Plaza Esmerelda. The room was seriously awful. It may have been clean but was so worn with chipped tiles, mildew, and peeling paint that I was ready to just pay more and go to a different hotel.
However, we spoke to J-C, our Air Transat rep, first thing the next morning and he helped us get a much better room on the 12th floor. Still worn, but definitely a huge improvement. You pay extra for the safe but probably always a good idea.

The buffet restaurant has a fair amount of choices but it didn't change the entire week. You are allowed 2 a la Cartes in a one week stay so a number of guests we met chose to go out of the resort for dinners when they got a little tired of the food. As with most all inclusives, there is the great fresh egg omelet area and although nowhere did we find bacon, they have it you just have to ask. Every day at lunch we had fresh delicious guacamole, one of our favourites.

We tipped at all meals and we really had excellent service and got to know some of our servers which made it very nice for us (Cafe con leche and green juice for me when i got to my table :-).

The pool is small but pretty and clean and it was generally pretty quick and easy to get a drink at the swim up bar.

This is a very family friendly resort which generally caters to its local customers so there were a few service people who didn't speak English, but we should really be learning Spanish - it is their country.

The entertainment crew work so hard. There are activities everyday followed by an enjoyable show in the evening - we saw them all.

For our duty free we took a five dollar cab ride to the wal-mart and we were glad we did because the small duty free shop at the airport was $20 more expensive for the bottle of Don Julio we bought. Also note, once you have gone through security - there is nowhere to shop and no restaurants or cafes so don't go through until you have to (nothing to do).

My only small complaints are:
*they turn on their poolside sound system at 8am and it is loud, so no sleeping in, and then the discotheque goes until 1am so there were only seven hours of quiet time to enjoy the sound of the rolling surf - I would have preferred a few more quiet hours or turn down the sound system in the morning until maybe 10am.
*There is no way to get food after 11pm - so if you feel like a snack in the wee hours (if you are night owls like we are) you can only get it by paying extra for it (room service).

Room Tip: Try for a room on a higher floor.
1 Thank g2fly