“Beautiful sunsets.”

Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Manzanillo
Edmonton
“Beautiful sunsets.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Stayed from Jan 24 to 31, booked through Transat as it was 300 a person less than West Jet. We where in room 208. A some what spacious room with a king sized bed and a beautiful view of the bay from our balcony. The room was kept clean throughout our stay but trying to get the maid to leave a towel or bath mat always seemed to be a chore. They move the evening shows and disco around the grounds nightly so you never know when your going to get enough "quiet time" to sleep. Very noisy resort at night.
The hotel grounds where very clean and inviting with the exception of the swim up latrine!!! Any time you have 20 guys drinking beer, hooting, hollering, and have a good time at the swim up bar for 3 hours without getting out of the pool...... Swim up bars just aren't a sanitary place to be, so therefore our pool use was non existent. Off to the beach we go. The beach is nice, although some what steep and very soft. They had just trucked in a pile of sand to the beach and it had not yet settled so walking the beach was difficult. To lay around and relax at it was nice though. Could use a lot more palapa's.
The food was plentiful and edible but NEVER warm, let alone hot!!!
The hotel is isolated and if you enjoy walking through town and adventuring out on your own, be prepared to learn the bus system, very easy and cheap, (7 peso each time you get on a bus) or take taxi's. Negotiate your price before getting into the taxi and be prepared to pay more if you look tired, hot, or are carrying shopping bags.
The evening shows where bad bad and worse than bad LOL My wife and I sat through as much as we could and then it became a game of attrition, who could stay longest LOL. One other person said it best, "my grand daughters grade 1 Xmas play was better!!!' No choreography and costume designs that left one of the smaller dancers tripping over hers throughout the performances.
All in all a vacation is what you make of it, and we had a good time. Would we return to this resort? Not likely, to isolated and the cold food was really a let down. On a scale of 1 to 10 we rate it about a 3.

6 Thank munch34m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Brantford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

We stayed at the Tesoro Jan 20th to the 27th. Our flight from Toronto with CanJet through Air Transit Vacations was excellent. We arrived and getting through customs was fast and easy no problems.
The Tesoro staff are all friendly and very helpful. We knew this hotel was not a luxury hotel although I think it it's day it was beautiful. It is very tired now and many things need replacing or updating. We paid a great price for the week of beautiful sunshine so I would recommend this hotel to those that do not mind allot of small children. There were many Mexican families with several small children. I would say the Hotel guests the week we were visiting was 80 % local families.
The beach is very nice. The sand is super hot so best to bring water shoes to reach the water. The ocean was warm and inviting. The waves not a big issue for several days however it did become a bit rough towards the end of the week. We seemed to have no problem. Our room was on the second floor, overlooking the pool and ocean. Stunning views.
My biggest complaint was the smell in the room which we figured out was from the air conditioning.
There was a beautiful strong breeze from the hall and so we kept the air off and opened the door most times we were in the room. View from our balcony was stunning. No fancy towel art or flowers were on our bed. The bed was comfortable and clean. If you want fancy this is not your hotel. The food was very good, not always very hot but always something you can find. Excellent Mexican food of course is always available. One thing we found odd was they put fish in their salsa not always but most times and I could not find any guacamole , a fave of mine....

If your taking bus 8 to go down town find out which bus will bring you back to the hotel. We had a very long "tour" on bus 8 and finally got off and took a taxi back to the hotel. :-)
Overall we had a wonderful time, we would return if we found a good deal again....

2 Thank Pyrviewsolan
Swift Current
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

We have stayed at this resort a number of times and really like it.We like the location in a small bay,the beach is nice and a great view.The staff are very friendly and the service is great.The romms are clean and the beds comfortable.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank wuzzie
Edmonton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

The Tesoro probably started off as a 5 star resort many decades ago. It is certainly built on one of the best locations in Manzanillo. The resort is on a bay within a bay and so has calm waters, a great beach and offers good snorkelling right near the hotel (free use of snorkelling equipment). There is good shade offered around the pool and beach. The ocean is warm.

My opinion of our room is mixed. The beds were good. The room was kept clean and tidy. The fixtures are old though, in our room the sink was full of cracks, the tub well worn, the lampshades should be replaced (how little would that cost?!!) and the room could use a deep cleaning, especially in the bathroom.

The pool was good. The temperature was refreshing and the swim up bar alright. It closed at 5, a little early in my opinion. There was very limited bar service on the beach and no food service.

I needed Wi-Fi for this trip. It was 75 pesos per day and the signal was strong in the lobby, by the pool and on the beach. We had a third floor room (in the low-rise section of the resort) and got strong reception in our room too.

Smokers beware...smoking is only allowed outside the hotel lobby and on the beach, nowhere on the hotel grounds.

We didn't use the specialty restaurant nor the hotel entertainment.

Finally, the food. A person I spoke with, who has been coming to Tesoro for 10 years running has found the food quality going downhill (through 3 changes of ownership). We found the food quality average to below average (for a 3 star resort). Only some of the soups were really good. This was one of the few resorts where we considered going off site for supper.

Overall, a three star resort, 5 for location, 4 for the amenities, 3 for the room and 2 for the food...my most mixed impression of a resort.

Room Tip: Only one elevator is running in the tower (the other being renovated) so any room over the 6th floor...
7 Thank Vdberg
Camrose, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

We've stayed at numerous all-inclusive's throughout Mexico (usually targeting 4-4.5 star hotels and even upgraded to 5-stars a few times). Based on the star rating and some comments we read on tripadvisor, the Tesoro exceeded our expectations. The food was excellent Mexican fare-very good variety at all meals and even after two weeks, we were not tired or bored with the meal choices. Staff are very friendly and helpful, special kudos to Veronica and Security Alfredo for administering first aid, after a mis-hap on the cobble stones outside of the hotel itself. The sand is courser than other beaches and the beach area itself is too short for long walks which we usually like to do. However, we found that walking the hilly streets around the hotel area was great exercise and there was lots to see; especially for watching barge ships using the main port. Manzanilla is an industrial city,and not based on tourism but there is still lots to do if you want, sufficient number of beach and pool chairs available, the organized games at the pool and music was way too loud during parts of the day, but we were able to find quieter places to escape the awful noise. We do recommend the Tesoro for sun, relaxing, cleanliness, service, and food and drink.

8 Thank hazeltourismcamrose
Victor M, Director General at Tesoro Manzanillo, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Guest in the name of Tesoro Manzanillo people we appreciate the time to share your experience, We celebrate having exceeded your expectation, enhance our services. Tesoro Manzanillo have a New Food & Beverages director and for sure we will have better Food & Beverages selection, like you saw the Hotel have a unique location.

atte
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

We weren't sure what to expect when we booked this hotel but are really glad that we stayed here. We read the reviews here and knew that it was not fancy but as long as it's clean and bug free, we're happy and it surpassed our expectations. The staff were all friendly and the location was wonderful. The majority of people staying here are Mexican families but we really enjoyed meeting them and spending time expanding our Spanish and just enjoying the fabulous weather and beach. We had a room near the pool and on the second floor, which was great as it meant that the WIFI worked in our room. Others that we met were on higher floors and had more spectacular views but the wifi wouldn't work for them as it only works in the lobby or by the pool. We were able to go snorkelling on the beach and it didn't matter which side of the bay that we were on, we saw a different variety of fish and enjoyed it. We took the local buses around town and also travelled up the coast. Really friendly local people and everyone tried to make our stay pleasant. Would return here again and we rarely go back to an area for a repeat visit!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank dreamweaver02
canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

Tesoro..
Bus..van ride from airport is a tour in itself...
Welcome is great..we had a special one that lasted maybe 5min`s..last yr came to love Veronica the concierge..Left this yr loving her more and goodbye's were hard on all 3 of us...
Very friendly and helpful at the front desk... Check in went smoothly.
Because the resort is in the hills..Lobby is on 6th floor although buffet pool Ocean on lower level so not to be confused...

The staff are all wonderful and many went beyond what their duties were.... These people work very hard..The temps with humidex the week we were there was in the low 40`s c... I kept thinking how extra hard that must have made the work for the staff... These people work their butts off while we are pampered on vacation..
The resort is very clean... Every morning and every evening..pool staff were cleaning the area... I think my pics can show more than my words do.. I wanted shade and a few times I asked one of the maintenance fellows to help move an umbrella just so or set one up for me.. They did it with smiles..

The food was good..many times very good... Be sure to check when lower level buffet moves to top floor where eve. Show is... I think it was Friday night that the dinner was uptairs and a wonderful barbecue was put on...
Always lots of fresh veggies...salads..fruits and a variety of deserts.. 2 kinds of soup lunch and dinner... Many Mexican choices on the menu...
If you want a change from buffet at lunch set up in the Palapa (Disco at night) from 12 to 5pm burgers hot dogs.. Fries..nachos ..cheese trimmings are made... My husband enjoyed his double loaded cheese burgers..
I have tummy issues and need to be careful about having no beef or dairy products.. If I asked what was in a dish and the waiter did not know they always ran to the kitchen to ask the cook.. Also I was told if I needed anything (Plain fish etc) just talk to the captain and my needs would be met and they were..
The one thing Tesoro is not set up for is evening snacks.. Late night.. We knew this from last yr so first morning we went to Walmart and stocked up with cheese crackers peanuts pringles etc. .. We used cab... 5 dollars 5min`s to Santiago where we went several times... 5 dollars to walmart...I think it was 10 dollars into Manzanillo... There is a bus stop few min. Walk up a short hill in front of resort.. Very cheap..
I know on one of the cards it says you have to pay extra after you use the water and pop they have in the fridge... Not once did we have to... Every other day our fridge was restocked..I drink 7 up quite a bit and never had a problem getting extra.. Lady at buffet desk always gave when I asked or if a problem I guess ask at front desk...
No coffee maker in the room which we understand as one does not use water out of the tap... I went down most mornings in my PJ`s and brought up to out room 2 coffee and 2 hot water and tea bags so we could enjoy waking up slowing on our balcony... There is room service..

Rooms were cleaned everyday and never had one complaint.. We left the towels that needed replacing in the tub and always had fresh towels.. Hallways were cleaned same.
Time..

NOT once anywhere on resort or elsewhere we were bothered by TS.. . Rec staff were great and at this resort you do not feel you are at a camp... If you wanted to participate you could..no thanks was accepted..
There are several tours to book..again no pressure from anyone.. Miguel Air transat rep is great and loves his job and is very knowledgeable about the area....

There are a few shops at the resort..some off lobby area.. Also lower level...

On my Slideshow you can see our room view.. Quiet side of resort.

The resort I would say is 20 % Canadian the rest Nationals.. It was quiet during the week and got busy on the weekend also we arrived the Sunday of their long weekend and left 2 days before Christmas eve.. I really enjoyed the Mexican people that were at there resort.. Had many interesting conversations... I know a few Spanish words..some knew a few English..rest was flapping hands but we seemed to understand each other.. We found it a hoot.. We would when passing each others in the hallways etc... Say Hola they would say Hi...On the elevator we would uno they would say one and we all would laugh....(smiles go a long way If you are friendly and polite it will be returned to you..) Children are children the same everywhere.. Excited.. Bit noisy.. Enthusiastic and always hungry .... Anyone that complains about this resort catering to Nationals I have many words I can say to you....just not here.. LOL we were wanted and special to the resort also..... This area is becoming more popular with Canadians.. Everday before we left we heard on a Calgary radio station Manzanillo being promoted.. My son sells west jet vacations and west jet has picked up Tesoro..

If we have a complaint or 2 about the resort they just are important enough to mention...

We had a great vacation but ..... The only thing different from last yr that was a disappointing to us we could not bring back the wonderful Canadians we hung out A very large..friendly close group all ages from baby to 2 guys in their mid 70`s ... Different group this yr....Not bad just not the same for us....

Video I made from pics I took from around the resort..

any questions feel free to ask..

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple