“Best time of my life”
Review of Tesoro Manzanillo

Tesoro Manzanillo
Ranked #5 of 52 Hotels in Manzanillo
Reviewed 14 April 2014

To travel on a budge this place is as good as it gets. Yes, the resort is in need of renovations but it is very clean and the staff us unbelieveably friendly and helpfull. The food is good and Juan(bartender) and Fernandez(server) make you feel at home. The view from my room was beautifull and the beds were very comfertable. Yes there did seem to be a lot of locals at this resort but if you dont want to see mexicans dont go to mexico. The nightly shows are amazing dont miss them. I cant wait to go back to Tosorro Manzinillo. The time of my life!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Bryan H
Victor M, Director General at Tesoro Manzanillo, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Guest in the name of Tesoro Manzanillo people we appreciate the time to share your experience in Trip Advisor, We celebrate that you experienced Memorable moments , we are glad that the Tesoro Manzanillo People makes you feel at home, this comments encourage us to be better and for sure we will be working in Upgrade Our beautiful resort facilities like Elevators.

atte

Write a ReviewReviews (1,306)

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Check in was easy and Daniel was friendly. Check out was a nightmare and it was disorderly and slow. Rooms are clean and do need a reno however, the beds were so comfortable. The housekeeping was inconsistent, some days no hand towels and our minibar was not stocked everyday so we had to call the front desk but they always came after that. The power went out at the resort almost everyday during the week of March 31, once for the entire day. The AC worked well and it was quiet. We were in room 959 and it was right above the entertainment which wasn't too bad as it only went until 10pm. The staff was friendly for the most part but it's funny when you tip them, they will go the extra mile. The food was decent and you could always find something to eat, I was not a fan of the authentic cuisine found on the breakfast buffet everyday...who eats pork in red sauce and beef stew for breakfast? They did have omelettes made to order which was nice and the restaurant is overlooking the beach/ocean, very nice. The Italian restaurant was pretty good. It was annoying to have to pay for internet that didn't work in your room and was a bit unreliable, why not up the rates a bit and include it? Same for the safe, why charge $1/day when you can just include it in the rate. There were also charges for room service...it felt like they were "nickle and diming you"! Some people commented about how slow the elevators were and I thought wow, you are on vacation...what is the big deal. Well, they were S L O W! There are currently two main elevators and a third is either being built or updated. The elevator stops on every floor and most of the time, there is no one there to get on. It was extremely annoying especially on the day we checked out. We waited 45 minutes for an elevator as we didn't really want to drag our luggage down 9 flights of stairs. We had to go up to the top floor just to come down! The beach is small but it's nice and clean. There was no one trying to sell you things all day long. There were quite a few jellyfish and many people were getting stung so we spent all our time at the pool which was cleaned every night but got very dirty fast during the day. There were way too many people at the pool on the weekends, you couldn't move. We had no problems during the week and it was easy to find lounge chairs. I would rather stay somewhere else if I visit Manzanillo again.

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool, away from the entertainment and you can also get internet that you pay for!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank MacapaAB
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Great value at this resort!! We had a fantastic holiday at the Tesoro !! Many very happy memories! The weather was hot , the pool water just right and the ocean was warm too!! We go south for the weather and to rest and we got both here and met many new friends!!

Room Tip: If you want a view from your room then upper floor is your best choice. We switched to a lower floor...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this resort March 7 to 22. Had booked a suite even though I was by myself. Checkin was smooth and only complaint would be confirmation of dollar a day charge for safe. Lobby located on floor 6 and my room was on 5th. Location of room was good. Definitely showing its age but was roomy and everything worked. Only ran air conditioner during day and slept with patio doors ( I had 3 sets) open at night. Hotel is right on beach and my balcony had railing not cement so view was wonderful.Sound of waves at night awesome for sleeping. Two other couples I traveled with were on same floor and close by. Very handy.We found a back elevator which went only to 5th floor. Very few people aware of it so was handy!I thought the food was good even though I do not eat fish of any kind and also have an allergy to onions.Managed to find a good variety every night. The first week we were there some food was not as hot as it should have been but second week was better.There were many Mexican families staying here with a larger influx on weekend. I found them friendly and polite and enjoyed seeing how their family dynamics work. From baby to grandparents they are a solid and caring bunch.Our first week we were in the ocean lots. Our second week not so much as by Tuesday the water had a skiff of something brown in color. Spent a bit of time at pool instead or just lounging and reading.We enjoyed one day market in Santiago twice and did a few other outings arranged by ourselves with a private guide.I found the crops, crocodiles, and salt mining very interesting.Something different than P.V. and Huatulco areas which are onnly other Mexico destinations I have been to. I must say I was surprised at how much garbage there is everywhere. That said I did enjoy my holiday but am not keen on returning until I have been a few other places that I liked better.As I said at beginning of this review costwise I was satisfied.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stayed at the Tesoro resort(?) in February of this year. It was one of the worst Mexican resorts I have experienced .
Yes the staff do work hard, the hotel was busy. They do cater to the locals and that being said, should have been a red flag when we read the reviews before we went. The food was the worst, it was the same very day and yes you can eat eggs and fruit everyday !!! Not for me...a little variety was truly lacking.
The rooms are adequate, noisy but I will admit the beds we OK.
The beach was small, with gravel like sand and on a incline, not a very inviting beach.
The weather was the best...nice Sun every day and such a nice breeze in the evenings...
We have traveled to both the West and East coasts of Mexico, and Manzanillo province is a beautiful place, but if we return ,we will not be considering the Tesoro .

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank slama01
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We just got back from staying 10 days at the Tesoro. We stayed here 3 years ago and we had a good experience and they have a nice beach so we came back. This time however was awlful. The hotel needs to be upgraded. The worst thing was how they packed in all the mexican families on the weekends. It is not at all enjoyable. We saw two children peeing at side of pool and the father just laugh. None of us would go in the pool after that, how disgusting. I know that they lost a few tourist, as we talked to a few. Although we love Manzinillo we will not be returning to the Tesoro. It is so sad because this could be a great place if the owners put some money into it

Room Tip: Lower floors to avoid elevator
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank shopcarrot123
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We have just returned from Manzanillo after our stay at the Tesoro (April 4, 2014). Our room was on the 4th floor and had an awesome view of the bay and the beach. The staff were very fun, friendly and helpful and truthfully if it wasn't for them, my whole week would have been a bust! The room was old, worn and dated. I'm not a person who expects much when I travel to less fortune countries as I'm there to experience the culture but rust in the sink and tub, sewer odor every time we turned on the sink taps, is quite unacceptable for a hotel that was built in 1984. What we thought would be a king size bed was barely long enough for my to lay on without my feet hanging off the end (I'm 5'2" on a good hair day). Sheets were clean and fresh every day but had holes in most of them as I caught my toes in a couple of times. As other people have commented, the elevators were a bit much to deal with but they were updating the one elevator, one was old and worn and the other had been updated already. I think the elevator problem will be fixed by the end of this year. Check in was a very long and after being on a bus from the airport for 1/2 hour and then having to stand in line for an hour and half just to check in was a little much. It was good that there were two of us as one of us had to find something to drink before we passed out as there was no air conditioning in the lobby where we had to wait just to large fans. The security was quite lacking around the pool and other places. It specifically had no-smoking signs everywhere outside the hotel and inside the hotel but guests at the hotel seemed to not take notice of these signs and this non-smoking regulation was not taken seriously by the security walking around. The food was very mexican/american, Hamburgers, French Fries, Hot dogs at the Snack Shack, omelets, scrambled eggs with red sauce (a mild hot sauce), hot dogs cut and used as sausages at breakfast. Beautiful pictures on the travel site but the inside is terrible. I enjoy Mexico and will be back but not to this resort and hopefully there chain of Tesoro Hotels in Mexico are not all like this.

D. & R., Calgary, AB