“Wonderful time”

Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Manzanillo
Red Deer, Alberta
“Wonderful time”
Reviewed 18 January 2011

As usual, I read the reviews and decided to judge for myself. We got an outstanding deal for the 3 of us and decided to book at the last minute. We were very happy with the resort, the location , staff and Manzanillo. NO, it is not a 5 star resort, and it is not advertised as one. We stayed in a one bedroom master suite, on the 5th floor overlooking the bay. It was wonderful. Clean , very roomy, two balconies and clean. What more can you ask for. The food was good, but I would agree, that they could change it up a bit. After one week, it gets very repetative. Because we got such a good deal, we went out every other night to try other restaurants. We like to experience different things, so dont have a problem doing that. I would definelty recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a nice hotel, for a good price.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank SonyaRedDeer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Innisfil, Ontario (1 hour north of Toronto)
Reviewed 17 January 2011

We stayed at the Tesoro, Manzanillo from December 29, 2010 to January 5, 2011.
The price was very reasonable and we only booked the trip 3 weeks prior to departure. We should have been suspicious when the price was so low for the New Years time frame but when we got to the hotel we now know why! When we arrived at the hotel the room they gave us was on the ground floor and we specifically asked not be on the ground floor. The room was extremely musty and right in front of the children's pool. We asked for another room and they showed us 2 more rooms and 1 of them was acceptable. However the hotel is very very run down. The hair dryer blew up in my hand with fire & smoke, the door to the cupboard fell off, the room was full of mold and smelled very musty. Elevators were iffy and were extremely slow and made lots of noises. It seems like this hotel was probably good in its day but needs major upgrading.
When we needed the staff to come & fix the door or replace the blow dryer I will admit that the staff was very accommodating. Perhaps they are used to all these problems and are willing to be very attentive to compensate. I am not a fussy traveller as this was my 16th vacation to Mexico. I have stayed at 3 star properties before (usually 4 or 5's) but at least they were clean and maintained. This was not the case with the Tesoro, Manzanillo. The food was ok. Never any bacon at the buffet breakfasts. A la carte dinners were ok. Spent an additional $25 per person one night at the a la carte for a steak that wasn't worth $5. They went all out for New Years eve with a setup for dinner around the pool and fireworks and this was well done.
Having said all this about the hotel - all of the staff were great from the bell hops to the servers at the restaurants, bars & around the pool which certainly helps when the hotel is very run down.
I saw different ratings on the hotel at 3.5 and 4 star before departing - but the hotel in my opinion is a 2.5 to 3 star at best.
We flew Air Transat which was awful. The plane left almost an hour late - we had to stop in Zihuatenejo which we knew but had to get off the plane - clear customs - get our luggage and check back in to continue on to Manzanillo. When the plane pulled out of and onto the tarmac - the plane just 'died' and all power was cut off. No air or lights, etc. and we sat ont he runway for 1 hour with the back doors open for air until they got the plane started again. Needless to say not a very good start to a holiday.
The weather was excellent in Manzanillo with mid 80's during the day and low 70's at night with lots of sunshine.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Beth27
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 January 2011

Although the hotel has a fabulous spanish architecture, and well located in an exclusive bay, it has noise all day long. They are constructing new condos just beside the hotel and their is pounding sound of construction from morning till sunset (It will probably go on for another 2 years). Aside there is pool activities with loud music, a mike and a whistle that starts at 9 a.m. till sunset. Boats parked in the bay play loud music on speakers at various time of the day. there is loud shows everyday from 9 p.m. till 11 p.m. followed by a disco from 11 till 1 a.m.. This noise is all pervasive and carries all the way till the 19th floor as they are done in open space. After that you have the noise of those who are drunk on cheap booze till the early hours of the morning.
Tesaro is very confused with it's marketing. It caters to Spanish families and older age Canadians mainly. Every one that i spoke to there was sleep deprived. I was really glad to be back home after 7 sleepless night.
The building is slowly falling to pieces, and if not renovated really soon will fall into pieces and be condemned within 2 to 3 years. Many clients complained about water leaks in their room.
Too bad that someone with money and vision cannot fix this place as it has a lots of potential. The team of workers there were also very kind, and were apologetic about the noise, but that did not solve the problem. Please stay away unless you are drunk all day and can fall asleep because you are ready to pass out. Worst vacation of my life.... will never return to Manzanillo.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank dancer030

Travellers are raving about these Manzanillo hotels

Alberta
Reviewed 3 January 2011

My two daughters (16 &19) and I travelled last minute to the Tesoro because the deal was so great. I had read the reviews so was completely prepared for some of the concerns. We had a ground floor room which was great because the pool and beach were right there, but not great for the view. There are cabanas directly in front of all of the roms so you can barely see the ocean. We decided the convenience outweighed the view so we didn't ask for a different room. The rooms are tired and we had some problems with our safe but figured them out - they don't charge for the safe. The mini bar doesn't have beer, only two water and two pop. We had to remind them to refill it a couple of times. The food was okay. The nightly shows that we saw were really good and the same staff tried hard during the day to keep people involved. The only bar opened after 6pm (other than theatre) was the lobby bar which was not very inviting and was seldom used. Inspite of these drawbacks we really enjoyed our stay. We just wanted to enjoy the sun, not have to cook or clean and relax. The price made it possible for us to go and we enjoyed it. The staff were good and everything was clean. This is not a resort I would go if it was my only vacation as we would like a little more luxury and more variety of food and bars. If the price was right I would go again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank Dbendie09
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2011

My sister and I stayed at Tesoro Manzanillo from Dec 14-20... We are 25 an 26 years old and probably the only two young girls at the resort not with family or boyfriends... I am not going to write a thorough review here but I think this place deserves a thumbs up after all the terrible reviews being left on this site...

Check in was easy, however we knew to sit near the front of the bus so that we could get off first and be the first to check-in so I don't know how long it took for the people at the back of the bus.

I know everyone says get a room high up to see the sunset and the killer view, but we were on the 2nd floor in the smaller building and we both found it to be more practical. We could walk up and down one flight of stairs to get to our room from the beach/pool/disco/buffet so if we forgot anything or just needed to run to the room quickly we wouldn't have to take elevators up and down all day. Plus we have pictures of the sunset from our balcony and also from the beach. We were extremely happy with our room.

Food was good. Ask for the Spanish coffee when you go to either the Mexican or Italian restaurant and you get quite an interesting show ;) Entertainment staff were great. Some of the staff was quite the eye candy. We were there more for relaxing than for anything else so we did not attend all the theater show or do the daytime activities. Some days the buffet is closed and you are forced to eat at the theater which I found annoying. Also the snack bar was not opened the exact hours posted, but when it was opened the food was my favorite (I love hotdogs and hamburgers haha)... If you need ketchup for your breakfast in the morning just ask your server, they don't have any out at the buffet for the hashbrowns or eggs.

I would say 70% or so of the resort was Mexican or at least Spanish speaking decent.. but everyone was friendly. Other than that it is mostly Canadian, I think we met like 2 Americans the entire week. We walked into town one day to the mall and it was okay. The hotel is on the top of a steep hill so the walk was pretty intense, we only did it the one time. If you are a smoker don't by cigarettes at the resort, walk halfway down the hill to the corner store and buy a carton for less than 30 dollars, rather than the 55 pesos/pack they charged at the resort.

This resort is not for people who want a nuts party... but if you wanted that you would have gone to Cancun or Puerto Vallarta, no? I enjoyed my stay here, but I think now that I checked Manzanillo off of my "to travel" list I probably won't be going back unless we find a crazy deal that we can't pass up. All in all great service, great hotel, and best deal for your dollar.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
5 Thank missyMG
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2011

Pros: Excellent people on the premises. Gregoire worked well with the manager to find us (almost) the right room. Check-in staff were always pleasant and informative. Everyone was so pleasant, we were made to feel very special. Our housekeeper always made our room special with the towel swans. I wish I could remember the names of all the great people working so hard at Tesoro. Food was excellent as far as I'm concerned. I'm a vegetarian and still found so many different dishes to eat! We were never bored with the selection. The entertainment each night was well worth taking in. People working around the pool were attentative and friendly. Want a tour? Look for Fransisco. He treated like gold and we loved the tours we took. Be sure to check out the Saturday flea market. This resort is quietier than some I've been to but still quite relaxing.
Cons: We were to have a suite with 2 bedrooms. We got a 1 bedroom sute with a room next door. We were on the 16th floor. The room we had, although very clean, was small with a tiny bathroom. The only good view we had was from the bathroom window. Our friends did have a beautiful suite with lots of room and great views from the many windows. Elevators could be slow but that was mainly at check-out time so we quickly learned to stay away at that time. Unless you love walking a lot (I can't due to my knees) you will need to take a taxi to downtown (only 50 pesos or less), We arranged to eat at the Adobe restaurant. Enjoyed the buffet so much we decided not to bother with the restaurant again. Internet in computer room went down a fair bit. WIFI was75 pesos a day.
Conclusion: Would we go back? You bet! I'm already looking up flights!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank gertp_11
Reviewed 1 January 2011

December 7th to 14th
When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by the entertainment group singing and dancing, once inside recieved a cold fruit punch quite refreshing,check in was quick best thing was not having to cart your bags around,once we got to our room we told the bellboy our room number and he took us there.
The room was clean, were a few stains on the ceiling, and some rust around sinks & toilets but nothing to get to bent out of shape unless you are a stuck up snob!!! as for the smell that a few people complained about what do you expect your next to the sea!.
The food on the whole was good, buffet food could have been a little hotter, There was always a good selection unless you were very picky.The a la carte restaurant was a little disappointing the food was good but the portions were small.
The drinks were good and refreshing could do with some diet pop in the room.
The best server was a young man on the morning shift named Christian so friendly always smiled.
The tours organised by tlaco tours were excellent all the guide spoken good english and as for drivers throwing those big tour buses around those small streets was just amazing. Went on downtown tour,Colima & turtle tour would recomend them all.
The beach was nice sea a little chilly but you get use to it, jelly fish put me off a little chose to stay by the pool.
Weather was great all week 30's everyday, nice breeze most of the time got a little hot when the breeze died down around 5pm.
The entertainment staff did a great job all week always something going, night shows were also very good pirate beach party great fun.
A & K Barbour