“Great Place to Vacation”

Hotel Vista Playa de Oro Manzanillo
Ranked #32 of 53 Hotels in Manzanillo
Minnesota
“Great Place to Vacation”
Reviewed 27 February 2008

We just came back from a weeks' stay at the Vista. It was a great palce to stay. Excellent location with one of the best beaches in the area.
The service and food were great!! Shame on the people who gave the food bad reviews. We considered a 2 week stay, but my husband is a little picky with food and was apprehensive, so we only booked for one week. He commented many times how he couldn't believe people would complain about it. We both gained weight. Even with all the stuff we did. Our room was big and had a nice private balcony. The bed was hard, but we've had harder in Mexico. So you just have to play hard ( and maybe drink hard) so you sleep hard = bed not so hard! That's the formula that works for us. We both slept great. There are no coffee makers in the rooms, but we brought our frech coffee press and insulated mugs. Bring a mug even if you don't do coffee. It will save you many trips to the bar . Although the bartenders are fun too! Reviewers were right about George. What a guy!! He was so helpful, yet fun and entertaining and interesting!! What an asset he is to the place. He can also line up excursions that are usually a little cheaper then through other places. He lined us up to go on ATV's and we had such a good time getting so DIRTY!! I've never hugged a hotel manager before, but he got one from me. We will not hesitate to go back!

• Liked — Availability of food and drinks at all times
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank dbahlfs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Mason City, Iowa
Reviewed 13 February 2008

This was my first visit to Manzanillo and booked a package deal through my travel agent. We arrived at night, so it was a little hard to get an idea of where everything is. First tip, get a map of the resort at the front desk. Second, if you have a hard time walking up hill or up stairs, request a room on the lower level. Your view won't be as nice, but it will save your legs. Overall, the hotel was clean, and had a very friendly staff. Like everyone else says, Jorge is top notch. He will tell you everything you need to know from what buses to catch to go downtown and come back, and what bars or restaurants to go to if you choose to leave the resort. The food was good, especially the breakfast. The reservation only restaurants were very good, highly recommend the Italian, and order from each course. They never let your wine glass go empty either! We hung out by the kid's pool up top, by the Italian restaurant, because it was surprisingly a little quieter and you could sit in the bar. Another tip...if you happen to be at the top of the hill, catch a truch ride to the top, they are usually right outside the front desk, and if they're not, wait a few minutes and one will come. If you choose to leave the resort at night to check out the town, I recommend Colima Bay Cafe for an atmosphere kind of like Senor Frogs, just not as busy. Also, Portfinos for GREAT italian. Both offer breaktaking sunsets, so request a table outside! Also, if it's your first time, like mine, it's worth it to go down and see the giant steel sailfish down in the marina. It's something like the second biggest port in the world, and you will see all kinds of great ships! Hope you enjoy!

• Liked — Friendly staff, location
  • Disliked — stairs and uphill walking
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
8 Thank mztlover
Vancouver
Reviewed 12 February 2008

Although a bit apprehensive because of the hotels rating "2 1/2 star", I was assured by my travel agent that this hotel was getting good feedback from guests who had stayed there. I was definitely not disappointed! The hotel is bit older but everything was clean and well maintained.
Many staff are constantly taking care of every aspect of the hotel, the grounds, the food, the rooms, the bars etc. I found all of the staff very friendly and attentive. There was an ambassator to the hotel called Jorge who made sure everyone's needs were met. He helped arrange tours, car rentals etc. Just a great guy. The food was excellent. There was quality entertainment every night.
The hotel is situated just north of the town and is readily accessible via bus or taxi. There is a huge crescent shaped beach in front of the hotel (across the roadway, which is manned by a crossing guard). The beach is literally a 3 min walk form the hotel. There is a snack bar/bar right on the beach for use of the guests.
This is a gem of a hotel that caters to families and couples.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Older hotel but well kept
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled solo
9 Thank Journeylust
minnesota, USA
Reviewed 5 February 2008

We just returned from our second time at the Vista Club. Several changes/improvements from last year. Resort now has a "pirate" theme and the restaurant has been enlarged and more tables added and handicapped accessible ramps have been added. The upper pool is more or less the kiddie pool because a pirate ship/water slide has been added and the swim up bar is no longer. Also the music around the lower pool was much quieter this year.
Jorge told us there are several improvements in the works for the coming year. The current childrens pool area (near the main pool) is going to be moved and an "adults only pool/hot tub will be added.
We requested room 3-204, it's has a nice covered balcony that overlooks the main drive. (It is near the disco, but we didn't really hear much "music" with the air on at night). It's a great location, close to the pool, bar and restaurant, The beds are still very hard and the pillows are like bricks.( If this is a problem you can go to the new Walmart and buy a pillow.) Lastly, there were only 3 boggie boards at the beach and they were in rough shape. I would advise renting one from the guy on the beach, it's about 25 pesos for an hour.

• Liked — very friendly staff.
  • Disliked — beds are very hard...
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with friends
5 Thank mno57
Vancouver
Reviewed 14 December 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed here Dec 4th to the 11th. We got an excellent deal directly with Transat, under $800 per person for the entire package with taxes.

The hotel is located right across the street from the beach and at the beach there is a snack bar just steps away. There are alot of steps and the property is hilly. We were lucky to get a room that was not too far away from the main area, however that also meant we were closer to the road, which was noisy some of the time. Not that we noticed with the hum of the A/C lulling us to sleep. I found the bed very comfortable and the room clean enough.

The a la carte restaurants were pretty good considering it is a 2.5 star resort. The buffet was mostly mexican food, but at breakfast there were waffles, pancakes, and french toast. I stuck with the mexican food most of the time and it was fine. The Palapa snack bar sometimes had burgers which I liked, and often had sausage which I didn't. The buffet dinner was served in an open area in front of the entertainment stage. That didn't work out so well on our first night as it rained, but luckily the head waiter of the Calypso a la carte let us in.

The evening dance shows were entertaining. It was obvious that most of the dancers were working they're butts off. I wanted to tip them but I didn't know if it was appropriate or how. There's also a dance bar, the Solaris disco, in the resort. We went to take a look but didn't spend more than an hour there.

The beach was really nice. We walked for about an hour along the beach and it was great. There were red flags alot of the time but the water only came up to my waist most of the time. I guess you just have to be careful if you go really far out. Children were swimming all the time. There are chairs and umbrellas set up on the beach for hotel guests, but there are no servers for the beach snack bar. You can climb the flight of stairs up and down or just chill out next to the snack bar as there are chairs and tables available.

The main pool is big but under 5 feet deep, which was fine if you just want to float around on an inflatable toy. You should really pick one up at the Com.Mex. in Manzanillo Plaza. I'm going to take my inflatable lobster($7) everywhere(there's an outdoor pool) from now on.

Don't use the phone in your room. We tried to use ours and it didn't work but it still cost us $17. Just buy a phone card from the front shop and use the pay phone across the street.

We went on (at extra costs) an ATV tour, a Colima-Comala tour, and a turtle sanctuary tour all with Tlacolt(?) Tours who were working with Transat. They were pretty good especially the Colima-Comala tour and the Turtle sanctuary. At least go to the Turtle sanctuary so you can send your own baby sea turtle to the sea.

Santiago is the town next to the resort. We took the public bus to the main plaza at night to see the local holiday market. It was very safe and family oriented. Walking back to the resort at night was fairly safe as well however better lighting would have been nice. We also took the bus to Manzanillo downtown during the day and had a good time trying to wander our way back out.

All in all the resort had all that I had hoped for which is more than I can ask. The staff were all very nice and we appreciated their attention. Manzanillo is a great getaway if you just want sun, surf and relaxation.

• Liked — The price.
  • Disliked — The phone and the internet room.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
13 Thank isabellybean
canada
Reviewed 7 December 2007

I recently stayed at Playa de Oro for 1 week with a couple friends. This is definitely a 2 star resort, please don't have any higher expectations for this place.

That being said, we had a great time in Manzanillo, it was a constant 30-35 degrees everyday, sunny pretty much all the time and very humid! The ocean is very wavy, i loved it, got in some great boogie boarding and see-dooing.

The resort is very old and hasn't been renovated much. There are 2 pools, 1 is a kids pool and the other is full of kids all the time so may as well be a kids pool. They really need an adults-only pool. I never went swimming in the pools actually, the pool side chairs are very uncomfortable and the area smells pretty bad. The ocean is a 2 minute walk away so that's where i spent all my time.

Manzanillo is where Mexicans go to vacation so the resort was 95% mexican. I really enjoyed it, Mexicans are very friendly people and they love Canadians. This is a good place to go if you want some mexican culture.

Overall i had a great time but would not go back, i would recommend paying a little more and going to a nicer resort, even a 3 star would be a big step up. Manzanillo isn't much of a party place either so if you are looking for the nightlife you would be better off going to Cancun or Puerto Vallarta.

• Liked — Mexican culture
  • Disliked — The resort
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank Harmonize
Kelowna
Reviewed 19 November 2007

This was my first vacation to Mexico. I went with a group of 3 other single guys aged approx 26. I read all the reviews on TripAdvisor before leaving and was not disappointed. I had an awesome vacation!

Staff
All staff members were helpful, friendly, and provided great service with a smile. They took our suitcases, called us taxis, were great resources for where to go shopping, what days were good for partying in town, and even took us to a bar across the street one night after the disco closed. Special thanks to Louis, George, and Gabriel.

None of us spoke Spanish before we arrived but quickly picked up the basics. I met quite a few Mexicans that spoke some English and they responded well when they seen me trying to speak Spanish and enjoyed teaching me. I tried to speak it as much as possible while I was there. I highly recommend an English/Spanish common phrase book with 2 way dictionary. I bought one at Chapters for $9 and it was invaluable.

People
The people we met in the resort were all very friendly. We only saw about 12 other Caucasians at the resort throughout the week. We were immersed in the Manzanillo culture and I enjoyed it. There were no problems with theft or security. The maids even left our tips a few times. They wouldn’t take a $5 Canadian bill that we were trying to give away so we left it along with the tips they didn’t take during the week on our last day.

Rooms
The A/C worked perfectly. You can even make it too cold. They were cleaned well every day and the housekeepers made some cool things out of toilet paper (flowers, roses, etc). They even folded clothes. Upon arrival we were told we got two rooms with one King bed and 2 couches in each. They said that they were not told what types of rooms we requested (we booked with Transat). Being 4 guys, we obviously wanted separate beds. It was a busy night so they only had one double bed room available. After comparing rooms, I highly recommend the King size room. The room is 3 times the size, the couches are almost the same size as the double beds, and included a kitchen table and private patio. I slept on the couches as they were much more comfortable than any of the beds. I was able to stretch out very comfortably. My friends were contemplating switching back to a King room, but never did as we had better things to do. We were in Mexico!

Food / Drinks
There is food available all day. I never woke up early enough for breakfast so can’t comment on it. I heard there were waffles.

Snack bar – self explanatory. Usually salads, fruit, veggies, chips, salsa, hot-dogs, burgers. Decent snack food. I liked the flatbreads filled with cheese and meat topped with salsa, guacamole, and sour cream.

Buffets – Large selection of food so you will always find something to eat. It was just okay. I was not blown away by it. They have a couple unique dishes that we don’t see in Canada so I did try most things and I had a few favorites that I stuck with. There was only one dish I did not try but my friend did and regretted it.

There were 2 A La Carte restaurants. Calypso and an Italian one. Dress shirt required. Note: It’s important to tip at these restaurants. They were both better than the buffet and we ate there almost every night. You need to make reservations at least 2 hours in advance. The portions are not as big as I’m used to, which is okay because you can order all you want and try a variety of dishes. The Crème De Oyeama soup was amazing – my favorite dish!

The resort did not have lobster so we went to the restaurant right across the street and had a fantastic meal. The lobster was only $27. You can go for 2 for 1 drinks between 7 and 8 and they are good. The chips and salsa were also the best I’ve eaten in Mexico.

Night Life
If you are hoping to party till 4am or later here, you can, and we did, but this is not a party resort. It is family oriented. Not many people are up past 1 or 2:00am. If you are a young single, and you want a party atmosphere, you should explore other options. We booked last minute and this was the best resort available for an inexpensive price. We paid $891 after tax for 7 days all inclusive, flight, and transportation to/from the resort. We knew we’d make the best of anywhere we went and we did. No regrets!

The Disco at the resort was busiest on Saturday (approx 50 people). They opened it up for us the next two nights and it was not quite so busy (10-20 people), but I still had a blast. Drinks are free till 1:00am and then you must pay. I don’t remember the price – maybe $2-$3/drink after that, but staff let you know a few minutes before the 1:00 limit and you can stock up on the drinks while they are free. They also keep it opened till everyone leaves (or at least they did for us).

The first night we went to town after the disco with about 15 -20 locals who wanted to party with us and I’m sure we picked up some along the way. We had so many people that one club wouldn’t let us in, and the other wanted a $200 cover for everyone so we went back to the hotel and had tequila. We only went into town one other night (Friday).
One club was decent (Miami Beach) and the second one was very quiet (Felix). Taxi’s were $5 each way.

Entertainment
We went to the Fiesta’s after lunch almost every day. The performers are very talented and the dances are different each day. Saturday was the busiest, with about 300+ people. The convinced us to get up on stage in front of everyone and sing Karaoke, which we did. They only had a few English songs that we knew so we picked Living La Vida Loca. It was in Spanish. We didn’t sing/read very well, but the crowd had fun. They put wigs on us and started sweeping us off stage jokingly, and had Donkey from the movie Shrek come on stage as well as some other fun props. They also requested that each of us do a pole dance before the song. An unforgettable experience.

I’ve got almost 1000 pictures of the trip. Please let me know if you’d like to see anything specific about the resort, or have any questions that I did not answer here.

Summary

Pros
Excellent Staff
Friendly guests
Clean Rooms
Drinks made how you like them
Safe resort
Talented entertainment / dancers

Cons
Confusing maze of stairs, and lots of stairs
Have to cross road to get to beach, and beach bar closes at 5
Disco only opened a few nights a week – not enough nightlife
Food is only satisfactory unless you go to an A La Carte Restaurant, and still no lobster
Age of building
Very humid
Low visibility “Foggy” most of the time – maybe from the humidity? Not a crystal clear ocean view like I expected.

• Liked — Excellent staff
  • Disliked — Not a party resort
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends