“Hugh Value”

Ranked #32 of 53 Hotels in Manzanillo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Hugh Value”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Jorge Ramos, one of the managers, at this all inclusive has made sure that we have a great time and have a fantastic vacation for the past 12 years for our group of 2 to 12 at the Vista.
The hotel is only $35 ride from the airport and takes about 30 minutes. You can see the banana and pepper fields as you leave the airport

The staff in Reception are good bilingual speakers as is much of the the staff and registration is always easy and smooth. They give a good rate on currency conversion, too, but, we don't exchange many or our dollars as the hotel is truly all inclusive.

We always get the room we want or an upscaled substitute at no additional cost. It is always clean, roomy and in good shape.

The food service in 2 snack bars and 4 restaurants is buffet family style and very good as it includes soups, salads, fresh bakery goodies, entrees such as fresh fish, barbecued beef, turkey, pork, ham and individual prepared eggs. The desserts at lunch and dinner include "milk cake" and flan and other "on I'm on vacation" goodies.

There are 3 all inclusive bars at the hotel and on the beach for guests offering fun soft drinks for the kids, beer, tequila, rum or vodka drinks for the adults. The brands are all Mexican ones which are very good and fun to try.

I prefer the beach, so I don't use the pools very much. There is a large pool for the family and 2 smaller ones for children. The beach is the highlight at the Vista for our group. Umbrellas and chairs are provided and the beach is generally very clean. The surf is okay for surfing and great for boogie boards and body surfing. Waves often crest at 8 feet so be sure to join your children in the water. The sunsets on the beach and at the hotel are quite fine. You can see more than one at your stay as the weather in the winter is clear with an average temperature
of 82-845F.

Each night after dinner there is live entertainment such as musical reviews, pirate shows etc.. These are held in the large outdoor theater on property. The are good fun are are on a par with community theater here are home. There are also zip lines, wall climbing, miniature golf and tennis courts that are enjoyed by many of the teens and younger guests.

It is difficult for us to get good air connections from the US to Manzanillo as the only direct flights are from Phoenix, Houston and LA. Our airfare is generally between $600 to $700.

Room Tip: Rooms in buildings 1,2,and 3 are closest to the pools and restaurants which makes them nosiest on Sa...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank PhilandSandy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Menomonie, Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We have just returned from our 9th annual year in beautiful Manzanillo, Mexico. As usual, Playa de Oro was our "home" for two weeks. We were greeted warmly with hugs and smiles from the Staff and our check-in went smoothly and quickly. The cleaniness of our room was impeccable, the beach warm and welcoming, the food plentiful there was always something we wanted to eat. My computer froze up one of the first days, and George Ramos, the hotel's "go-to guy" arranged for their IT employee to check it out and ultimately install a new keyboard for me. See George for any of your needs or to arrange side trips while you are here. He is fluent in both Spanish and English and tremendously knowledgable. We felt catered to and it was with great sadness that our two weeks were over so quickly. We definitely have our rooms booked for next year and look forward to returning again. The only negative we experienced was not the fault of the resort or of Manzanillo itself, but rather the airline. When we first start going, it was a short 4 hour flight from Minneapolis/St.Paul to Manzanillo. Now, because of there being no direct flights, it takes us over 10 hours to get there and get home. Losing almost a full day to travel both coming and going is definitely discouraging.

Room Tip: Playa de Oro is built on a hill. If you don't mind steps, the further up the hill you go the qu...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Elias C, Gerente at Hotel Vista Playa de Oro Manzanillo, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Thank you so much for your review, it was gratifying for us reading and share with our staff your comments. We are honored that you consider us home here in this magical place in Mexico, Manzanillo certainly has a unique charm. Speaking of Vista Playa de Oro comes with the great work of Jorge Ramos; we appreciate your recognition of his work.
We want to increase international flights to Manzanillo, especially form Minneapolis, St. Paul and Wisconsin; so we hope agencies take action soon on this matter.
Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope to see you return next year.
Gracias Amigos!!!
Boise, ID
Reviewed 21 February 2013

The rooms aren't anything spectacular, but the staff was super friendly and it was low key which was perfect for us. The beach is across the street, but they always have someone there to stop traffic (literally!) so you can walk over to the beach. The beach was never busy and there is a convenient bar to order drinks. We opted not to do the all-inclusive (through RCI) but found that big cups of anything were only 35 pesos anyway - such a deal!

We also noticed this hotel is where a lot of locals vacation, so we were one of the few americans at that time, which was not a big deal - just pointing out that it's mostly locals and not many tourists. The rooms were spacious and clean, definitely setup for families.

I wouldn't recommend the all-inclusive if you have that option. We didn't and enjoyed the food elsewhere probably more than at the hotel, but the food was decent so no complaints, we just like variety.

Another great perk about this hotel and probably Manzanillo in general is that we didn't encounter the begging or people constantly bombarding us with selling items on the beach or sidewalks. Occasionally, but not overwhelming compared to other Mexican cities we've been to. We also felt COMPLETELY safe.

Restaurants I would recommend: Juanitos - great for quick but great food, Oasis - nicer dinner and food with great presentation, El Fagaro - great food. There was also a steakhouse now that I can't remember the name of that was just okay. Margaritas (the restaurant close to the hotel) is actually quite good and not very expensive. If you are staying at this hotel, you also get a discount.

Anyway, great place to spend a relaxing vacation and the weather was AMAZING!

Room Tip: The condos are great because they have small kitchens, which also include blenders :) So because we...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank dmduffy
Twin Cities Area
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We spent a really pleasant week at the resort. The grounds are lovely and well maintained and view spectacular. The staff provided excellent and friendly service. Limited English spoken by the staff, but someone was always available to assist so it was never an issue. The Pacific Coast is a beautiful place and the weather and water temp is great in January. Lots of day trips available if you can tear yourself away from the beach.

Room Tip: The view of the bay is terrific
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JournalMaker
Elias C, Gerente at Hotel Vista Playa de Oro Manzanillo, responded to this review, 11 February 2013
We appreciate for sharing your feedback. We are delighted that your last stay with us was positive and pleasant. Our mission is to create memorable experiences, so we will continue working and improving.

Muchas Gracias.
Prince George
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I read the revieves before we left and thought well not every one will be happy and there were some good comments. Our room was clean and quite nice and overlooked the pool. The beach across the street was the best I've been to in mexico, nice gradual slope nice big waves to play in and no undertow to speak of. The problem was with the food and I am thinking the water (ice etc) as I became very sick the first week we were there until I could be treated with an antibiotic. the then got a terrible flu and cold which I believe came from our airconditioner which i believe may have been contaminated with mold or mildew. There was a very strong smell that came from it. The people are wonderful and the grounds are very nice. Very little english spoken

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nola S
Thank you for share your comments with us; we believe that feedback from our guests is the effective way to improve our service. We are very sorry for not cover your expectations; we are taking immediate actions to verify and correct the reports on water condition and the air conditioning system.

We sincerely hope you will give us a second chance and consider us as your next vacation destination. Here is my email ecastellanos@playadeoro.com.mx

Thank you once again.
Cordially,
Elias Castellanos.

Travellers are raving about these Manzanillo hotels

North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2013

If you are going to Mexico you dont want to be in a hurry to go anywhere or do anything. Slow down and take your time, but be sure to take your family with you. Funny those words coming from someone who likes to travel on her own. It came to me on my most recent trip to Manzanillo of which I am still on as I am writing this review.

It has been a couple of years since I have had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Vista Playa de Oro Manzanillo, although Jorge Ramos and I have stayed in touched over the years in between my visits. In the two years that I haven't been here I have visited Mexico. I did a review in 2011 about the Royal Solaris, Los cabos, not a positive one in fact. Too much commercialism, too much of the pushy salesman trying to sell you a time share, and an actual segregation of the all inclusive and the time share owners in an all inclusive resort, dinners with signs saying "Members Only"

That's not Mexico!

If you wanna go to Mexico, if you want to eat what the Mexicans eat, hear their language, experience the real Mexico in a safe environment? Then take your family, children of any age to Hotel Vista Playa de Oro Manzanillo. If you are looking for a great Chinese restaurant you go to one that has the most Chinese eating in it, cause they know good Chinese food, well the same stands for Mexico, go to where the Mexicans go.

You are not going to find eggs Benny at this resort, you are not going to find alot of English speaking Mexicans, they try hard but most just don't speak our language. But then you are in Mexico, and they are however fluent in their language. I have been vacationing in Mexico for more than 20 years and have no problem communicating with the people of this country and I dont know any Spanish. I dont pretend to know anything either, I say hello, good morning and it kind of lets everyone know that I am an English speaking person. I ask them if they speak any English and they normally say no, and they usually try to find out if I know any Spanish, of which I say no, nothing... then the communication begins, in the end we both get what we need, it may take a little more time then if you were to know the language. That is why it is so important to not be in a hurry when you go to Mexico, and so important to take your children to a resort like this to truly experience real Mexico. When they are making announcements, or at night during the entertainment they speak in Spanish, many resort will also say the same thing translated in English, they dont do that here, if you really want to know every word they are saying then learn the language, or do what I do, go by body language, I laugh and smile when I see people happy and laughing and if you really pay attention you can figure out the gist of what is going on. Jorge Ramos and many of the upper management of the Resort are fluent in Spanish and English so there so there is no need to worry that you will not get your needs met and if there is anything that they can do to make your stay better they will move heaven and earth to do it for you no matter if you are a English speaking guest or a Spanish speaking guest.

After 20 years of coming to Mexico it may be time for me to learn a phrase or two of Spanish, but I am definitely not in a hurry to learn anything right now, because my breakfast is done and I am heading to the beach! Have a great day, stayed tuned, more reviews to come..

Room Tip: All rooms are great, if you have any problems they will do everything ot make it better!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank AdviceWriter2010
Elias C, Gerente at Hotel Vista Playa de Oro Manzanillo, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your comments with us, we really enjoyed reading your review which in our opinion describes the essence of relaxation and peace that we looking for on vacation.
For us it is an honor to welcome tourists from all around the world, we like to make them feel at home and live all positive that Mexico has to offer. In our Hotel our coworkers are part of that mission, especially Jorge Ramos.
We look forward to see you return soon, we will be waiting.
Saludos Cordiales!!!!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We have stayed here 4 times with our family and friends. It has been a few years since we have been able to return there, but reading the reviews helps me stay connected to my Manzanillo family. Everything and everyone is the best. Go with family, friends or even by yourself - you won't be disappointed. I love it that management is responding to reviews - keep up the good work!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family