“Home away from Home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 53 Hotels in Manzanillo
North Vancouver, Canada
“Home away from Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2010

There is no place like home and that is how I felt when I arrived here this time. This was not my first stay at this hotel and will not be my last. I love this place! The staff are wonderful while although they mostly speak spanish they are try real hard to be able to communicate with you so that they are giving you exactly what you need. The hotel is authentic Mexico, not high rise hotel here, more like little villas everywhere, cobble stones streets take you up the hill to the top of the resort, you can walk if you like or take a ride from the many transport vehicles that will leave when you request for a ride to your room.
This is not my first review so please read the one from last year to get more information about the hotel and staff. My stay here consists the beach in the morning and the pool or nap in the afternoon, or walk the safe street to shops down the road. A very safe place to be for sure....

While the beach is accross the street I had no trouble hearing the waves break from my room, or just close the door to my balcony if I wanted peace and quiet!.
Jorge Ramos is there to answer any of your questions and to assist with any of your needs. He makes the resort a place that you want to return to, a place that you too would call home.

In my mind this place should be a 5 star! so don't let the 2.5 star fool you! If you plan your trip in the beginning of November any year you will probably find me there.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank AdviceWriter2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Boulder, CO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2010

Very friendly staff but the rooms, upkeep, cleanliness, grounds, etc. are just not up to what most US tourists expect.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank dbbl

Travellers are raving about these Manzanillo hotels

Saskatoon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2010

No it's not a 4 star hotel. The beach is across the street and there is no room service. But if you can manage without a few luxuries like an ice dispenser and mini bar in your room or a memory foam bed, your going to have a great time just like we did. The food is good in the buffet restaurants ( there are two ) and it's great in the ala carte restaurants ( also two ). The nightly outdoor shows are highly entertaining and the staff and the manager George will pamper you with fast, friendly service. Don't book day trips through the tour operator. You'll get a better deal booking with George right at the hotel and if your really lucky you'll get Jose Rodriguez for your guide. Jose was our guide on a trip to Colima and he was fantastic. The best rate I got on converting dollars to pesos was right at the ATM at the hotel entrance. Manzanillo itself is safe , friendly, and breathtakingly beautiful. They've even got a Walmart if you miss your mall shopping. This resort is primarily a destination for vacationing Mexicans, but even though I don't speak much spanish, we found them to the friendliest guests there. I say give it a try, you won't regret it.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Happycamper048
alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2010

This was our first trip to Mexico and ended up in Manzanillo just because. We had no idea about where to stay or what to do and landed at Playa de Oro because we did an RCI timeshare trade for one week - and extended for an extra week. This was the right place for us. We opted out of the all-inclusive except for a couple of days because it's so much fun to walk into town to get food. But we really enjoyed the food the days we ate at the resort. There was a good assortment of Mexican dishes (and fresh made tortillas) and some "American" type of food which we didn't try.

If you want to be surrounded by staff and guests who speak English really, really well go somewhere else. But if you want staff who really take care of you, well-maintained grounds and clean rooms this is a great place. We always felt like they were honored we were there - even though we couldn't speak their language. A pleasant change from many American hotels for sure.

Jorge - the go to guy - is as fabulous as the rest of the reviews say. We were interested in seeing a soccer game while in Mexico (not much professional soccer in Alaska) and he went way out of his way to be sure we had good accommodations and were safe. On his recommendation we took the bus to Guadalahara which was just too much fun. He also arranged a tour of Colima, Comala, etc for us and we ended up going back to Comala for a couple of days.

The location of the resort is ideal. It's sort of by itself in the middle of town. No other resorts nearby but plenty of busses if you need to get someplace. Also, taxis are pretty cheap but we generally walked. The beach is great and the water very warm. The pelicans were chasing sardines which was quite entertaining. Between the beach, pool and books in Jorge's office we were happy.

It worked out perfect for the two of us. The families I talked to loved it as well.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank oceanloverAlaska
manzanillo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2010

As an escape to mexico and embraced by the mexican culture i would recommend this hotel. I feel that they are just as good as the 3-4 stars out there. The price is right the beach is filled with activity and the water is warm. The staff and services very good and will treat you as gold. The rooms where very clean and like all other mexician hotels they keep their standard tourist driven. This hotel has many stairs, but as you reach the next stair case you can take the time to see the breath taking views in for as long as you want. I felt the hotel had a real mexician feel and breaks the mold of other hotels in the area They offer a ride up if you wish, just ask and they are immediately willing to take you to your room. Yes, if you want to bearound music and playful fun you can. My hotel room was out of the noise of these activities. If you do not like which room you like just as to move. This trip is yours and should fit what you what. The food in the a la carts where veery good and the buffet offered me the variety that i wanted. If you want to eat differently you have to plan accordingly and your week will be filled with a variety. How exciting do you make your breakfast; their options from toast to pancakes, friut to cereal are there. The entertainment was very good, filled with a audience of locals that always kept the entertainment alive. The operation manager is there and will always help you in any concerns you may have. I had a great time.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank happinessManzanillo
surrey, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2009

we just came back from a one week vacation in manzanillio it was out first time in mexico. we had a wonderful time. loved this hotel. it had great atmosphire. love the beach, the staff was wonderfull, food was great, drinks were great, best view ever. The only complait was that we found the beds and pillows hard. will be coming back....soon....we hope.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank areyoukidingme
West Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2009

I went on a Solo Trip to Mexico to finish a book I have been writing. I chose a small resort that I felt would be a nice quiet place for me to work. The General Manager George was the friendliest man I have ever met. He treated me like we had known each other for years, I requested a compatible plug for my laptop and he gave me the extension cord from his own office immediately. I had no idea that I would find my room with wireless internet at no charge. In no time I at all I realized that I was writing a piece on Solo Travel for people who just want to get away on their own, instead of working on my book.

Being a single women traveling on my own in Mexico, safety was very important and I felt very safe at this resort. The service was the best I have ever experienced in Mexico, and this is probably the tenth time I have traveled to Mexico, but my first trip to Manzanillo. The area was great, you could take a walk daily to Santiago and talk with the locals whom most speak very little English if any at all. The area is more where the locals shop and live so you are not surrounded by tourist traps or large department type stores, although you could find larger places to shop for a small amount of cash either by bus or by taxis.

If you want to feel like you are truly in Mexico this is the place to go. Vista Playa de Oro Manzanillo is a wonderful family resort with authentic Mexican food. The beach was wonderful, the pools were great, but the atmosphere is what is the most amazing part of this place. The entertainment group was fantastic, you could be sitting by the pool have a nice relaxing time and all of the sudden a sword fight is happening around the pool, a princess is kidnapped and the next thing you know she is screaming over head on the Zip line that runs straight threw the whole property. They have an entertainment show every night with dinner if that is what you are looking for, and if its not what you are looking for I would suggest you go check it out anyways you won't be disappointed.

After three days of working I found myself, zip lining...dancing on the stage, playing mini golf , a snorkeling trip and making new friends. I think that this was the best time I ever experienced in Mexico. I am already looking for a flight for my next trip back to this resort and plan on taking my family with me. Thank you to George and I hope to back ASAP

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business