“Terrible”

Playa de Santiago Hotel
Ranked #34 of 53 Hotels in Manzanillo
“Terrible”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Such a wrong place to stay . People dont know how to serve you as you deserve . Seems to be always mad . ve found a different kind of animal every day in my room . Lame for the price... the only good thing is the viwe from yor room . The building looks old and ugly i dont really care about the size of the room but even the tv screen is old with only 3 channels . Internet only in the lobby where is always full . They make you pay $700 pesos . Around $60 dls for the room key and the tv control in case "something happens" in my oppinion that goes with your daily payment but seems that its not enough . You can really find a better place for that amount or save a little more for a better place that really worth that .

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank anticonde

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Oakland, California
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Especially when I look back and see the previous warnings. This hotel is old, dated, dusty and kinda weird. The front staff is kinda rude, certainly not warm and friendly. I kept asking where the other people were and was told it was off season. Only 3 other rooms filled in May??
That said, we had a wonderful time there. The little pueblo of Santiago is very charming and filled with excellent food. The little plaza,"jardin"is packed most evenings and sunday is way fun.
The hotel is right on the beach. It's pool is situated right in front of the water. The bay is great, the water warm and the little beach has just enough people to be interesting and tranquil.
If you get a good deal and have low expectations, maybe this place is not so bad??

Room Tip: ocean view i
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank anne t

Travellers are raving about these Manzanillo hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I want to begin by saying that the rating system or hotel star appraisal system needs a very careful review. This may have been 3 1/2 stars hotel at new however it currently would struggle to be one star, yet promoters and trip organizers are using an outdated rating by about 20 years to continue to sell vacation time at this dump. My brother and wife and myself and girlfriend arrived at Playa santiago hotel to discover an absurdly rundown hotel. The rooms small and dirty with worn out bedding and curtains, fungus and molds in profusion. The doors are not secure and a child could use a credit card to pick you clean while away. Do not, repeat, do not go there unless you are seeking a divorce.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel out of Playa santiago.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Jaime H
Ontario
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We spent 5 relaxing and enjoyable days at this hotel and will definately return again. The price was reasonable and the view from our hotel room was beautiful. The pool and beach where clean and easily accessable. Although the room was tired it was clean. The one thing that I feel was lacking is the bathrooms were needing updating. I wish it was an all-inclusive because the included breakfast was delicious, but the restaurant closed at 1630 daily. Staff were friendly and willing to help in any way. We requested and were given a ground floor room (no elevator), and was given a fridge when we asked. I do recommend staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms have ocean views with a balcony. The sound of the ocean waves at night make sleeping...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank knurse98
Del Rio, Texas
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I just spent 6 days in this hotel and would go back in a heartbeat. Though the rooms are well worn, the rooms are very clean and the views from our balcony were amazing. The pool and beach were clean and I loved watching the Mexican families enjoying the beach. The only disadvantage I can think of is that the restaurant closes early and if you want a late meal, you need to walk out to the main road. No road noise from the highway as it is a 10 minute walk. I enjoyed the breakfast deal for 45 pesos.I was able to snorkel from the beach and saw manta rays. The staff were also very helpful. If you like walking, La Comercial, Walmart and Soriana are within walking distance and you can take a bus or cab back.

Room Tip: Loved the 3rd floor for the views.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank T W
Florence, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 November 2009

I will begin by saying that we love Mexico and enjoy authentic hotels and have stayed at pretty basic places before, so we were not expecting anything luxurious. I should have been more suspicious when I booked a week here because it was so inexpensive. We arrived and checked in, went and put the bags in our room, put on the bathing suits and went down to the beach. I didn't want to alarm anyone (we had our kids ages 5 and 7 with us) and we were all tired from our long journey (we drove 5 hours to MSP and then 4 hour flight to Manzanillo) so I held my tongue for a while. Then down at the beach I casually said to my hubby, "I'm thinking about moving, " and to my relief he wanted to, too. Our room was very small and the beds tiny. Spending a week in that room would not have been a "vacation". Bedspreads looked filthy and the bathroom faucets had piles of that gross grime around them. Basically the hotel was just very dirty and that's why we moved. The beach there was ok and there appeared to be some snorkeling rocks to the left of the hotel, but we moved so didn't swim there. We ended up cabbing over to Dolphin Cove for dinner and afterwards we asked to see a room and booked our week there. Thankfully we didn't even spend one night at Hotel Playa de Santiago. I hate to write a negative review, but even though the area was nice and the real Mexico, the hotel was run down and dirty. I would not recommend it.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
9 Thank swedecat
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 January 2005

This is a great place to stay at $60 a night. The rooms are clean, the staff is friendly, and the service and food at the restaurant is excellent. Try the Aztec soup; it is a great tortilla soup. When I was there in March of last year, only breakfast and lunch were served. I was back again over the Christmas holidays and was delighted to learn that they served dinner, too. Sunsets are beautiful. You can walk on the beach for miles.

You can easily spend a lot of time watching pelicans, cormorants, and terns diving for small fish in front of the restaurant during breakfast and dinner. The pelicans and terns will dive very close to people in the water in their pursuit of fish. Fishermen also cast their circular, weighted nets for bait fish and will also catch blue spotted jacks when the jacks go after the smaller fish. The water churns with small fish trying to get away from the jacks.

The hotel is at the south end of Santiago Bay. I like to snorkel and take underwater pictures. I saw a variety of fish out around the point close to the hotel and in the small cove on the other side of the point. Sea conditions are not always ideal for underwater photography as the visibility can go down, but usually the morning is good. The water temperature was at 80 in December and I did not need my shorty wet suit. I stayed out for nearly two hours at times. I would go back again.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member