“Beyond beautiful, a PERFECT all-inclusive resort for families!”
Review of Barcelo Karmina

Barcelo Karmina
Ranked #1 of 51 Hotels in Manzanillo
Reviewed 1 December 2011

We just got back last night from the Barcelo Karmina Palace in Manzanillo and we're missing the sun and the resort already!!! Four of us (2 adults, 2 kids age 7 & 4) travelled with Air Transat from Nov 22-30 (yes, that is eight days because we got "stranded" due to mechanical issues with the plane in Vancouver on the 29th - whoo hooo for us!!!) This is our seventh time at an all-inclusive resort so we have high expectations and the Karmina definitely raised the bar!

A summary of our experience:

Air Transat - we love them! They have a "kids club" where kids receive a little gift pack aboard the airplane. The flight itself was long because it flies direct from Calgary to Vancouver then Manzanillo. And their planes are a bit dated (ashtrays?! No TV's on the back of head rests?!) But overall, we enjoyed our time flying with them. (We found out later that Air Transat is the only operator to Manzanillo from Canada.)

Transport to resort - Awesome! We were met by Margo (one of two Air Transat reps for the Karmina) and as soon as the bus was full, we went straight to the resort (approx 40min ride).

The resort - a DREAM! Beautiful & clean grounds, gorgeous inter-connecting pools everywhere. Wonderful little beach in a secluded cove. King size beds along the beach (perfect for napping)! Polite staff throughout, we have no complaints!! The resort wasn't busy at all during our week long stay, other than on the weekend when the locals (ie Mexicans) were there for their vacation. Even so, the service & public washrooms were fine!

Our room - a junior suite facing the parking lot/tennis courts on the 6th floor. The two double beds and bathroom area was separated by a locking door to the living room area with sofa/TV/tables/chairs. The bathroom was SPACIOUS - huge soaker tub, two sinks and a large stand up shower. We did find it odd that housekeeping only gave us one bar of soap even though there were two sinks. No face cloths, and a soap and shampoo dispenser in the shower stall.

The food - great! Buffet always had at least 20 hot food items (all neatly labelled) and numerous salads, fruits, pastries, etc. Lots of selection, what more can you ask for?!

A la carte restaurants - we received three vouchers and were able to book them in one visit to the concierge (officially, you can only book them at 10am for the same day). We went to the Mexican restaurant twice (this is the restaurant on the bottom right corner of all their pictures, by the rocks). The setting was beautiful and just magnificent (get the duck, simply succulent!) We also went to the Japanese restaurant and it was just average. They gave me hassles for wearing flip flops (even though I was dressed & made up and we were previously told by our Air Transat rep that their dress code only applied to male guests). Didn't get this same hassle at the Mexican restaurant on the two other nights for wearing flip flops.

Kids club - staffed by two wonderful young ladies!! We never left our kids at the kids club (only b/c our kids wanted to hang out with us more) but we did hang out with them whenever it was convenient. Only comment with kids club - they have a schedule of activities (from 9am-5pm) but they don't follow it, so it was hard to plan ahead. My kids wanted to do crafts but that never happened when the schedule said so that was a bit disappointing for them.

Animation team - well, it wasn't a team which we found strange. But more a one-man show. He was great at organizing the yoga, water polo, beach volleyball, etc but for the size of resort, they definitely could use a few more people to amuse us!!! Similar to comment with kids club, there is a schedule of activities but again, a lot of times they did not happen.... simply because this guy couldn't be in two places at once.

Night show - takes place at an outdoor theatre, there is a dedicated group of ~8 dancers who practice in the afternoon for that night's show. Very talented and entertaining!!!

Prior to night show, there is a "mini-disco" for kids on the stage of this outdoor theatre. This was lacking a bit - not very well organized. They should do games (ie musical chairs, etc) that is a bit more structured and fun for the kids. Rather than just blast the music and have the kids dance to Mexican songs!

Overall, our family had a GREAT time!!! No one got sick, just a few mosquito bites at dusk (bring bug spray!) They have on-site photographer and you can buy their photos for ~50MX pesos. We love getting our family pictures by them, beautiful scenery + tans = nice photos :)

If you are hesitating about going to the Karmina - don't be!!! You will have a wonderful and relaxing time! ENJOY!!

Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank Kitty H
Citlally C, Guest Experience Manager at Barcelo Karmina, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2017

First and foremost we would like to thank you for the praising review you shared following your visit to our Barcelo Karmina hotel and are delighted to read that we were able to match your expectations.

There are newer reviews for Barcelo Karmina

Reviewed 26 November 2011

I had a completely difference diving experience than the reviewer below. I lived in South Florida for 35 and have been a certified PADI diver for 33 years. We spent Thanksgiving at the Karmina and while there went on a two tank dive with my nephew. Even though both of us are certified divers,the Dive Master, whose name is Geronimo, wanted us to do a check out dive in the pool. He wanted to make sure both of us would follow his instructions in the water. I very interested in seeing the shape of the equipment to make sure it was good quality. The regulator, B.C., air tanks ,pressure and depth gages, masks, fins, and weights were all very good and in top working order. The Dive was Great and very safe. I would recommend the dive center to anyone interested in Scuba Diving.

Now for the Hotel. They do so many things right. Except for the check in which took us 3 hours before we got our room. We came with a group and some got a room right away and others like us had to wait. I keep getting the run around from Alexander at the front desk. He keep saying your room isn´t ready, I said I´d take any room. After 3 hours he said it would be just 30 mins more. Then a friend in our group, who had his room, said to see Rafael at another check in desk and he could help. I found Rafael and he switched a room with a late check in to us and went well. Thanks Rafael!

Room Tip: see Rafael if you have a problem
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Pilgrim45900

Firstly we would like to thank you for choosing our Barceló Karmina hotel for your holidays in Manzanillo and for the review, all of your kind words about your stay with us are great to hear

Reviewed 20 November 2011

This hotel has mostly everything a well travelled vacationer like myself enjoys, great facilities with wonderful ambiance. And unfortunately, the whole experience had to be diminished by the lack of service, professionalism and attention my family received at the hotels water sports concession.

As a diver I know the ins and outs of the sport and found the quality of the equipment subpar to anything that should be in a 5 star hotel. My son took a pool side class to go diving in the ocean the class lasted all of 20 minutes and at the end I asked for more time, as my son felt uncomfortable for the next days dive.. Well sure but it would cost me a complete class as the instructor had personal things to do.

The next day we were scheduled to leave at 9am, and told to be there at 8:30, interestingly none of the staff get there until 9am, and then due to a huge amount of disorganization we left at 9:45am and immediately out of the bay, the instructor realizes we were missing equipment.

Once at the dive site the instructor, gave a 5 minute briefing and then got my sons equipment on and simply had him sit on the edge of the boat and back roll into the water.. Mind you my son was alone with no one in the water to assist him. I spoke up and the instructor simply told me this is how its done.

By this point I was a bit upset to say the least and honestly could not enjoy any of the diving. Once back I tried to cancel my diving reservations for the coming days but had to literally threaten to sue in order for them to give me my money back.

The watersports staff had no one who spoke english except for the instructor and a bit from some guy at the desk named trinidad.

The rest of the vacation went remarkably well and save for the unfortunate and unpleasant experiance with the dive center our vacation was enjoyable.

In a nutshell I highly recommend the Barcelo Karmina Palace but question their acumen in choosing this concession to represent them... hence my rating..

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank sailoronvacation

Thank you for the time you took out of your day to share your comments regarding your stay in our Barceló Karmina hotel.

Reviewed 16 November 2011

About Manzanillo: A busy and beautiful city of 100,000. Very high employment, no pushy vendors, no arrogant Europeans. Very safe & very friendly. It is only 3 hours to Gaudalahara, a city of 8,000,000 - so this place is a popular weekend "get-away" spot for Mexicans as well. Lots to seen & do: release sea turtles at the sanctuary, visit other beaches, ocean kayaking, downtown shopping, visit a volcano, jet ski, visit ancient ruins, amazing surfing in Cayutlan, horseback riding, snorkelling, deep sea fishing, museums in Colima, etc.

About the rooms: Large, clean and comfortable. Good air conditioning, amazing ocean views & huge fluffy towels. Plenty of hot water - but it takes about 10 minutes to arrive. A bit of age showing around the faucets and the large sliding wood panels with wide slats did not offer much privacy in the bathroom. One day we had a small drip from a pipe in the ceiling and another day the maid didn't do a very good job. Notified the front desk and both times problems were attended to within 30 minutes.

About the grounds: I couldn't count the number of beautiful pools that were all surrounded by trees, gardens and flowering bushes that were all manicured to perfection and interconnected by streams and waterfalls. Some pools were reserved for adults and some for families, with a great waterslide for the kids. The beach is in a private inlet, but small and rocky. The beach right next to the hotel is also amazing, but it has HUGE waves and a dangerous undertow. I recommed the 5$ cab ride to Mirimar for a good beach.

About the food: The resort was not very busy when I was there, so the Ala Carte restaurants were often closed. The buffet was good, with about 24 hot choices. Selections such as fish, chicken breast, beef and pork loin appeared daily, but with a different sauce. If you pig out on 24 items every day, you might get a little bored by the end of the week. They also had a pasta section as well as a kids buffet with burgers, hot dogs, chicken nuggets and fries.

About the Staff: Amazing, friendly, courteous, attentive, creative, talented. I don't have enough words to describe the exceptional level of service offered by everyone. From the talented on stage performers to the Bellmen in the lobby. From the waiters to the bartenders to the gardeners and even the maids. Everyone made you feel welcome.

On a bad note: the small airport is not well equiped for large groups. Prepare for AND excpect up to 3 hours for an entire plane-load to clear customs.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
11  Thank Freightcarr

Thank you very much for leaving these wonderful comments on Tripadvisor, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay among us.

Reviewed 14 November 2011

This place was truly incredible. the attitudes of the staff at Karmina were very impressive given they had just endured a hurricane several weeks ago. The service was top notch. The food was decent and there was plenty of variety. The alacarte restaurants were superb.The rooms are huge and comfortable. Some new furnishings may be in order for the near future. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. Awesome pools fun for everyone from seniors to toddlers. The beach was adequate especially since there were few occupants at the hotel this first week of the winter vacation season. We had perfect weather and enjoyed the beech and the nine pools throughout the day. My wife had a beech side massage and enjoyed every moment of the eighty minute pampering. I was hoping to golf; however there were only twelve holes available at this time as a result of Jova's pummelling of Manzanillo. We can't wait for our next trip to Karmina Palace. Hola to all the wonderful people we met in Manzanillo.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Matthew M

Reviewed 12 November 2011

We arrived with the first Canadian charter of the season and had a lovely time at the Karmina. The best things about the resort are the people (staff), location and the entire ambiance. My fiance and I are bringing 25 of our family and friends to the Karmina for our wedding in February. We know we're in for a very good time and highly recommend this resort. Also, be sure to book a massage with Lucy or Laura; especially one on the beach! And when you arrive, say "hola" to Raul and Javier, they're the best botones (bellmen) in the biz!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side have a wonderful sunrise, ocean view and are a bit quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank lisamiga

Reviewed 17 October 2011

The Karmina is a lovely hotel with a wonderful staff. The grounds are kept impeccable by the gardening and grounds crews...whom always greet you in the morning with a Buenos días/ Good
Morning. All of the hotel inside and out is kept so clean! The floors sparkle! We always had excellent service in all of the restaurants, the buffet and all 3 a la carte's. The front desk staff, the door man are all very knowledgeable and glad to help you with any questions you may have. Some of the maids don't speak very much English, but we always were able to communicate with each other. The food @ the Karmina was very good, a different theme in the buffet every night. Always a small buffet area dedicated to the children staying @ this resort. Many favorites for them such as chicken nuggets, macaroni, hot dogs and all kinds of other things that I know my kids loved when they were little. It has a great variety for them, the food @ their buffet changes @ Breakfast, Lunch. dinner as well. In the main buffet area there is a pasta station, this station was open every night that we stayed there (2weeks) They offer 3/4 kinds of different pasta and your choice of 3/4 different sauces....this was always great! The a la cartes are all wonderful we ate @ all 3 last Feb. The website stated only 2 a la cartes per week but in Feb 2011 the hotel gave us 3 per week. We enjoyed eating at all three a la cartes, but our favorite was the Japanese. For the ladies, bring a shawl or a light sweater with you, if you decide to eat @ the Mexican restaurant (which has amazing views) then you may find you'll need a sweater If its a windy night it can get a bit chilly there on the water. (It was the only time in the 2 weeks I ever thought about putting on my sweater, it came in handy at this restaurant) I did see one of the waiters wrapped a table runner around a lady use it as a shawl for warmth! The staff is so sweet!
The Rooms- they are beautiful rooms all marble floors as is the whole resort. Big- his and her closets with a set of draws and a counter in between them and a large mirror. A Big bathroom with his and her sinks at either end of the bathroom. Marble counters with enough room to place your toiletries on. hand soap, hand lotion comb, shoeshine kit, Qtip/nail file kit, bottled water are on the vanity. The shower has a refillable bodywash, shampoo station that is refilled weekly so no need to bring your own if you don't want to! (NO CREME RINSE) just body wash and shampoo is supplied. There is a powerful hair dryer in the bath room as well. The shower is big enough for 2! There is a huge separate soaker tub in the bathroom with bath crystals supplied. and of course a toilet! LOL...There is a safe in the room, it is not electronic...it has a key that the front desk will issue to you upon arrival if you loose this key it costs $100.00 usd. to have the safe drilled open. We could fit our laptop inside of it...our laptop size is: 11.5" wide x 8.5" deep (29.5 cm x 22.0 cm) I don't think you would be able to fit a laptop any bigger in that safe.
Our room was a standard room/partial ocean-view. We had a king bed with a large T.V. then a step down into the living room area to a hide a bed, big comfy chair, coffee table, and in the corner a round glass table with 4 chairs that you could sit 4 adults around comfortably. Also in this area is a large T.V. and bar sized fridge in the wall unit that houses the T.V. The balcony that is attached is as wide as the room and I'm guessing 6/7 feet wide (183 cm to 214 cm wide) with 2 chairs and a small table on it.
The electrical plugs in the room are the same as Canada/USA...120volt. (No time change for us Manitoban's) There is a ATM machine in the downstairs lobby of the hotel....our experience was it never gave you a paper trail. There are shops in the hotel for things you have forgot, a hair salon too, gym, walmart is just down the main blvd. you can walk to it from the beach. Walmart and Sorianna's both sell liquor/Wines. Sorianna's sell's Calmato Juice!!!
Over all we loved this resort...we found the Food to be even better tasting then the 3x we stayed in Huatulco! The freshness of the food was great. The service was always Great! The nightly shows that the staff put on are the best we've ever seen! We looked forward to it nightly. The Entertainment staff are always busy with the vacationers getting them involved in activities. We can hardly wait to enjoy the hospitality of this resort again. Of course....the weather was beautiful!
We loved this resort and all the people that work here gave us superior customer service
See you in 2012!

Room Tip: lower rooms may have the ocean view block by the palms growing on the property.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
31  Thank Holamexico08

We always find it nice to read that our guests went home with great holiday memories and we are very grateful for the time and effort you spent to share your personal experience at our Barceló Karmina hotel with us and Tripadvisor readers.