Barcelo Karmina
Good 3.5/5
Pez Vela Hotel(Manzanillo)
Great 4.5/5
3,567 results
All reviewsjapanese restaurantclub premiumfisha la carte restaurantsadult poolsocean viewcapri restaurantpublic beachthe grilltwo sinksbeautiful resortrooms are hugekids clubala cartsgolf courseother resortslong beach
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 December 2013

This was our first time to this resort and Manzanillo; however we have stayed in numerous all inclusive resorts including two other Barceló resorts and comparing them to this resort here are my pros and cons of this resort.

Pros:
- Rooms are larger than most with a sofa and dinning table; large bathroom with soaker tub and separate shower.
- Buffet has freshly steamed vegetables (broccoli, green beans, carrots) for lunch and dinner and they are not covered in sauce which I really appreciated. I was able to have freshly cooked chicken breast on the grill one day again no sauce (loved it!!!).
- Food was fresh and not over cooked
- A-la Carte restaurants - Italian - was wonderful would recommend both service and food tasted wonderful
- Pools were cool - some may say cold I say refreshing especially on hot sunny days
- Bar and restaurants use real glasses all the time, coffee cups are large so do not need many refills and pool drinking glasses are larger than normal
- Taxi are inexpensive - Manzanillo from the resort was $120 peso around $10 one way.
- Close to Walmart and the Mexican version of Walmart (walking distance 30 minutes)
- Internet free in lobby
-Sunny all the time - no rain

Cons:
- Beach is tiny and small at the resort; can not access the external beach without going through some questionable water. Therefore I was unable to do my daily long walks on the beach as I am accustomed to.
- Not any excursions which interested us; went into town -nothing to do. Went to flea market and not much to purchase - definitely more expensive then PV.
-A-la Carte restaurants: Japanese service was long, food was ok; Mexican food and service mediocre.
- Toilet in bathroom has a separate door, but this door is made of glass so could not use it at the same time my spouse was taking a shower.
- Hard Beds but you can ask for a cushion which helps - no cost

Overall - I would recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to visit Manzanillo however I would not recommend Manzanillo as a place to visit.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Carla S
Barcelo Karmina P, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Karmina, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Dear Carla
Thank you for sharing your experience and showing us your appreciation.
We are delighted to read that you were pleased with the facilities. These comments about us make us feel we have reached our main aim. We have also taken note of the cons you mention and will work over the ones that are in our hands.

We would like to welcome you back soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed 16 December 2013

This was my first stay at the Barcelo Karmina Palace, and I had a great time. The rooms are HUGE and beds & pillows are comfortable. The sofa bed in the living area wasn't super comfortable to sit on, but I didn't spend much time in my room. The balcony was large and I had a great view of the gardens with a glimpse of the ocean through the palm trees. The bathroom was massive, and rain shower had great pressure. I found the room to be extremely quiet when the patio doors were closed...couldn't hear the disco music.

The beach was OK...a small man-made cove, and a little rocky. Water shoes would be a great idea. Snorkeling is possible right from the beach.

I spent more of my time around the pools. There are so many of them! I like that there are adults only quiet pools and more active pools, all spilling into each other but separated by beautiful gardens. The waiter service around the pools was great since there is no swim-up bar.

The buffet was great - lots of choice for every meal. I ate at the Mexican and Japanese a la cartes - excellent. They are very strict about the dress codes, so be sure to check in advance that you pack appropriate clothing! I like that they are strict about it - what's the point in having a dress code if it's not enforced? Adds a certain class level to the dining experience.

The staff were very friendly, helpful and courteous.

The only things that could use some upgrades are the nightly entertainment (the shows were hit and miss) and the furniture in the bedrooms (other than the beds - they were great). Also the bathrooms are showing their age a bit too - would be nice to not have a glass door on the toilet room. But these are just cosmetic things that did not affect the enjoyment of my stay.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Premium to get access to top shelf liquor like Baileys.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
4  Thank havepssprt-willtrvl

Dear havepssprt-willtrvl
We are thankful for the time you took to share your experience. We are very pleased to acknowledge that our beautiful premises, varied gastronomy and the excellent service of our friendly staff met your expectations based on your first experience among us.
We are looking forward to welcome you back and remain at your disposition for any assistance prior your return.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 12 December 2013

The resort is getting a bit old, but the rooms were spacious and clean and the food was the best of any all inclusive I've ever been to. The resort itself was clean and the pools and beach were perfect for families with young children. Great family resort!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank MexicanPirate

Dear MexicanPirate,
We greatly appreciate your comments. We are really happy that you had a delightful stay and that we were able to fulfill your expectations.
We hope to be able to welcome you back on your next vacations!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 4 December 2013

We last stayed here two years ago. The facilities are really beginnin to show their age and the service has slipped considerably. The mirror backing was eroding away in the bathroom, the brass shower stall was coroded on the bottom, there was mold above the tub, the air conditioner leaked water in the foyer continually, there was a continual shortage of face cloths (even though we called down daily to request them), the bed mattress was hard as stone, the pillows were completely worn out. Generally the place is in need of a complete overhaul. We won't be back for a third time.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tech5709
Silvia G, Guest Experience Manager at Barcelo Karmina, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2017

Our guests' comments provide us with an opportunity to see our hotel through their eyes giving us insight into any service that may have room for improvement to enhance our future guests' stay among us, therefore we are grateful for the time you spent to share a review of your personal experience in the hotel.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Been here a few years ago, both times enjoyed ourselves. If you're really into beaches this hotel may not be for you as it's a bit small. The pools are great and good service to the chairs. Was a good time to go Nov 30-Dec 1st, not too busy however all restaurants not open because of this. Food was pretty good, room air conditioning a little weak, one of our friends found a good sized rock in his food and broke his tooth, beds typical Mexican hard beds but overall good. Used the gym 3 times (again air conditioning a little weak). The Japanese restaurant had very good food but no air conditioning so we couldn't wait to get out of there, it was so hot. Both times to this location weather very hot

Room Tip: Been to this hotel two times, I think they all have a decent view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent holiday experience among us, our main goal being to ensure we keep on delivering unforgettable holiday experiences to our guests, your comments are crucial in this process therefore we highly value your time and constructive critics.