Our family stayed at the Barcelo from March 14 - March 21, 2014.
On arrival we were very quickly checked in and given our room keys. There is no help with bags unless basically begged for so be ready to carry everything to your room yourself.
The room we stayed in was very clean with the exception of the leaking air conditioner ( wet floors....accident waiting to happen ) and the hard beds. But really, the beds were what you'd expect from any hotel. The air in the room though...we all had sore throats and stuffy noses from the air conditioning in the room. We talked to many people who had the same complaint. Stale, mouldy smelling air coming through the vents.
The food was awesome! We have stayed at several all inclusive in Mexico and I can say without a doubt that the buffets were the best we've had so far. The buffet beside the Japanese restaurant was very excellent for each meal. We also went to the Japanese, Italian and Mexican dinner which were all very lovely.
The pools were very clean as was the beach. Loads of staff! There were so many beach servers and you rarely waited more than 5 minutes before someone was asking what they could bring you to drink. These guys work very hard and are out in that heat all day in full uniform fetching drinks and deserve big tips! We asked around a lot and found out the waiters and beach servers only make about 45 pesos per day so make sure you tip generously as these servers really are amazing!
The same 15 songs played in the pool area all day, every day and that was annoying. I suggest bringing headphones and your own music unless you want to hear Dirty Bit, YMCA and Gangnam Style all the time.
The maid was awesome in our room and would leave extra beer or water when we asked. The sheets are changed every 3 days so make sure that you don't get any sand in your bed in between changes!
The front desk guys were really rude and insulting. We were told we'd have free wifi then a a day before our trip we got an email saying the hotel had changed providers and that we would have to pay $7 per day which is insane because there is no actual out of pocket expense for them to let me use their wifi. On arrival we were told it was not $14 per day and that we could only use it in the lobby. When I told the clerk that this was quite expensive and that we were told it would be $7 just the day before he answered, " Well, what do you want me to do? Do you want it or not? "
I had a massage at the spa which was heavenly. The spa itself is clean and very inviting.
The grounds are very clean. Very clean beach and lots of great snorkelling in the lagoon....so many fish!
If you get a chance see Jeremy at the towel bar and book the snorkelling from the resort ( and get a group rate if you can snag some people to go with you...that brings the price down to $30 each ). It was amazing and our guide was so cool.
Overall this was a fabulous resort though I would not stay again. There wasn't enough for the kids to do so next time I'd pick a resort with a waterpark. There was one small slide though that was really fast and very fun!
If you are looking for a relaxing time I recommended the Barcelo!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Barcelo Karmina***** hotel has been recognised with the prestigious AAA 4-Diamonds award. It is a spectacular feat of architecture inspired by the Mayan temples. Its tropical gardens with palm trees, along with 6 interconnecting swimming pools with waterfalls, create a romantic and relaxing paradise in a place brimming with fun for all the family. This 5-star hotel offers 324 luxury suites fully fitted with everything you need for a comfortable stay. In addition, all suites have balconies and excellent views of either the tropical gardens or the sea. The Barcelo All Inclusive programme at Barcelo Karmina hotel has been designed to ensure your complete satisfaction, enabling you to enjoy our 4 restaurants and their varied cuisine from different countries: Japanese, Mexican, Italian and international. And to complete your holiday in this spectacular luxurious resort, relax in the U-Spa, enjoy the gym, the beauty centre and attend the nightly shows and lively nightclub. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Barcelo, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Barcelo Karmina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Karmina Palace Deluxe Hotel Manzanillo
- Karmina Palace Manzanillo
- Barcelo Hotel Karmina Palace
- Barcelo Hotel Manzanillo