“nice hotel with awful service”
Review of Barcelo Karmina

Barcelo Karmina
Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Manzanillo
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The architecture of the place is nice, the rooms had some problems through, in the fist night it started to rain inside the room, so they change us and in the new one the air conditioner never got colder than 25.5 centigrades what was hot for me, specially with the super hot weather outside, the food was good, the pool was nice, but one day there was a group of 5 or 6 people in the only children pool, drinking and yelling even though there is a pool specially for adults with no children allowed, and no one seemed to care, the waitress even served them the drinks there, and finally the service of almost all the people around from front desk to waitresses was bad, they just were not helpful and seemed to do the things reluctantly, not what you expect in a hotel allegedly high quality.
I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank sara j
Barcelo Karmina P, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Karmina, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Sarah J,

We thank your for your review regarding your past stay at our hotel, Barcelo Karmina Palace.
Thank you for bringing to our attention the comments about your stay in our Hotel which have been treated with great interest. Your opinion is one of our top priorities and all feedback from our guests is greatly valued.

We really hope to consider coming back to be able to change any negative perception.

Barcelo Karmina Palace

Write a ReviewReviews (3,372)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My friend and I arrived early and were hoping to be able to check in early. The hotel ocuppancy was low (someone quoted 30 percent) and our room was not ready. I didnt buy this story. The front desk just gave us a map and no orientation about the hotel and its ammenities. They gave us a map and our room keys. There was only one main dining area open through the day - The Bugambilias a buffett restaurant. The food was pretty good. The service at the restaurant was good. Once we got into our room it was a nice spacious and comfortable room with no FREE WIFI. Around the pool there were only two servers to cover the whole area. Not enough. We had to go to the bar area to refresh our drinks. On occassion there was one server who really hussle to get us our drinks but he still needed help. The pool had a lot of leaves and debris from the plants. Out of the four days we were there we only saw the pool being cleaned once. The beach area was small and not so pretty. I stuck to the pool area. The entertainment group was friendly. At the night there was the main entertaintment area which lasted about an hour and afterwards the bar closed. The "Disco" was moved several times into the main building and sometimes had not bar service. There was only one or no servers near the bar area. This area can get pretty hot since there are no fans. Overall I was not impressed with this resort. They have a long was to go to complete with Cancun or Riviera Maya resorts.They lack in hospitality and service for an an all inclusive. Not considering going back to this resort.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tunera
Barcelo Karmina P, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Karmina, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Tunera,

We greatly appreciate the time you took for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay among us. Unfortunately, even though the occupancy may be a bit lower than usual it does necessarily mean that the category you booked was available; we normally place the bracelet earlier (noon) so our guests can start enjoying their stay until the suite is ready for them.

The company’s policy indicates the surcharge for this service, like you may know not all hotels offer this complimentary; on the other hand our Club Premium guests do have it included, as well as other amenities.

We have taken notes regarding your comment about the service in the pool are, we will work our best to improve.

The pools are cleaned every single night after all of our guests leave the pool, during the day we do our best to try and keeps away all the leaf that fly into the pools.

The disco and shows and occasions are moved to meeting room areas or lobby when we have any rain threat, we wish we didn’t have to this however if this action would not be taken we would have to cancel the show and disco.

The destinations you compare with us are completely different products and services.

We apologize if you felt you did not receive the service you were entitled to. We regret not being able to fulfill your expectations.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I think been a 5 star hotel they could provide transportation from and to the airport (other Barcelo have it) it was 4 of us and we had to pay $720.00 pesos ($55 USD) taxi from the airport to the hotel. My husband and I loved the hotel, it caterers to couples like us (no kids) as well as young families w/kids. But for older people (my parents on their 70's and 80's) is not good at all. The walks from your room anywhere and back are big, w/lots of ups and downs and stairs. my parents where not able to do anything by themselves with out our help. There is nothing to hold on in the shower or tub, so again for elder people no support at all, my mom took a bath and it was horribly hard for her to get out of the tub. One day they got a big group come at lunch time and out of 4 restaurants there was only ONE open to serve lunch, fro a 200 people in the group and the guests at the hotel, we had to come back an hour later when the army was gone, if they are going to do this they have to reserve tables for the guests, this is not acceptable for a 5 star hotel. The manager at the rest. actually offer to have the food brought to my parents since they could not stand in line for the buffet for half hour, but he couldn't find us a table so we came back later. So the personal is amazing, nice. courteous, quick to help, always w/a smile.
The boat tour is worth it, is not expensive at all and you get to snorkel by a sunken ship, feed tropical fish Jaime is very knowledgeable and good singer.
There is enough chairs at the beach and pools but not enough umbrellas or shade.
My husband and I will go back, we can do w/the the little tings but my parents won't go back.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter, you don't want to be in the first floor, people walk by very early in...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear TigreBlanco,
We would like to thank you for having chosen Barcelo Karmina Palace for your vacations and for taking the time to post a review about your experience among us. It is great read that you had an overall good experience and that you enjoyed our service.

We appreciate your feedback as it helps us to improve our service, we will be passing on your comments to our management team, and we reassure you our commitment for continues improvement.

Once again, we thank you for your kind comments, and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.
Best regards,
Barcelo Karmina Palace.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Unfortunately this review is delayed as our trip was in January. I will say this though, this is the first time in a few years we (as a family) have absolutely loved a resort!

First and foremost, Manzanillo is absolutely stunning. It’s almost like you’re lost somewhere between Capri and Hawaii. The resort itself overlooks Manzanillo Bay, with panoramic views in all directions. The grounds are very well kept, with staff maintaining them day and night.

We stayed in a premium 2-bedroom suite. WOW is all I can say. We were floored by the size of the unit and the amount of personal space each one of us had. I know others have mentioned that the rooms need an upgrade but we didn’t mind considering the units were in very good condition. We had a small kitchenette, full-sized fridge which was stocked daily, living room with two couches and a large flat panel TV. Our master bedroom had a king size bed with lots of room left to spare. The separate bedroom was prefect for our kids, and it had 2 double beds. Having two bathroom was a huge plus when traveling as a family, plus not to mention 2 very large tubs and separate showers. Not once did we have an issue with hot water. Both bedrooms also had flat panel TV’s. These units also have HUGE wrap around balconies, and a small corner plunge pool. We were lucky enough to have a room on the 7th floor, so our views were amazing – and no noise above us.

There are three restaurants on property. Mexican, Italian and Japanese. Plus two buffets. We found the buffets excellent, probably some of the best variety we have ever experienced (as a premium guests we had unlimited use of the a la carts). To be honest I think we preferred the buffets over the a la carts, partially because we have kids and it’s much easier to please them at a buffet. The Italian and Mexican both offered a kids menu, but not the Japanese. We actually had to leave the Japanese restaurant because we ran into this problem (yes we have picky kids) so we can’t comment on the food. The Italian was our favourite a la carte, and my son was able to order off the adult menu too. Service was excellent at this restaurant as well. The Mexican venue is stunning, and the food also very good. The service was a little slower here, but overall we were pleased. Also as premium guests, you can book your reservations in the premium lounge instead of at the concierge. This was a great perk as some mornings the line-up to make reservations could get long. The snack bar by the beach is minimal, but perfect for that mid-day snack when you don’t want to sit down at the buffet. It had hamburgers, hotdogs, fries, and nachos. Along with some fruit and an ice cream machine which was a big hit for our kids (and us too). I found the drinks very sugary and had to stop drinking them after day 2/3. I then stuck to white wine (which I thought was quite decent) and Don Collins. My husband was fine with everything but was disappointed they didn’t have Mojitos.

Our kids loved the pools. They are all interconnected, and the Mayan slide was a huge hit. I will say this though, there is a reason adults are not allowed on the slide. A few of us snuck down the slide, myself included, and I think I saw my life flash before my eyes. It’s SUPER fast and made out of concrete. With a heavier adult, you can literally fly off the end! But as stated, my kids loved it! Our 9 year old daughter did bump her head one day going down, and she had a nasty goose-egg on her head, but the staff were great and security and first-aid were there within minutes. Some people have mentioned the pools are cold, but by 11am they were a welcome refreshment. The water was always nice and clean, and staff tried their best to upkeep any foliage that would fall into the pools.

I can’t find any fault with the staff, they were all very friendly and were always willing to assist.

We would be going back to this resort again this year if we could, but there are no packages flying out of Toronto again until December. But we are already planning to return in January. No hesitation what-so-ever, just go and have a fabulous time!

Room Tip: Try and get a higher floor if possible. The 2-bedroom suites are HUGE!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank twolittlebirds
Barcelo Karmina P, Guest Relations Manager at Barcelo Karmina, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear twolittlebirds,
We are very thankful for your kind review over your past stay in January, and the time you took to share your experience. Like you mention, Manzanillo is a wonderful place to visit, very nice and safe.

It is truly an honor to read that you were greatly satisfied with all of our service, your huge suite (they are indeed on of a kind with spectacular views to Manzanillo Bay’s), our food, and pool areas. Like you mention, our staff works very hard to keep our grounds clean and well maintained and always happy to assist.

We hope that we can have the privilege in welcoming you and your family back, to this your home away from home.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We have been to lots of different resorts but this is definitely our favorite of all. We plan to go back next year and bring our families. We have nothing bad to say about Barcelo Karmina. The food was fantastic, the rooms are spacious and beautiful-love the bathroom with the two separate sinks. Beds were comfortable. The gym had lots of cardio equipment and weights. There were lots of pools-both adult and kids pools. The beach is smaller but you could always get a chair and the bar service on the beach was second to none. You could snorkel right off the beach or even just stand in the shallow water and see lots of different little fish!
I guess the only thing they could change for the better is the wifi...it only worked in certain areas of the lobby and was slow.

• Stayed: February 2014
Miguel C, Director General at Barcelo Karmina, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Zeemana27

Thank You very much for taking your time to write your comments about your stay in Karmina Palace Deluxe and post them on Tripadvisor.

Posts such as yours delight us and gives us confidence to keep working hard to satisfy our customers and improve our service.

On your next visit wi-fi will be covering all areas of the hotel and rooms and it will be much more faster. For all our Club Premium guests, it will be without cost.

Please do not hesitate contact with us prior your next arrival and it will be our pleasure to welcome you again at Barceló Karmina Palace.

Yours faithfully

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Our group of 7 traveled to the Barcelo Karmina February 7th to Feb 21st of 2014. (Sorry for the late review). This was our first trip to Manzanillo but have been all over Mexico multiple times. We have never stayed in an all inclusive that was less than a 4 star. We are not overly picky as we don't spend tons of time in our rooms but definitely want a clean room above all else no matter where we go.

Check In: We flew into Manzanillo on Air Transat operated by Enerjet (horrible plane: old, no padding on seats, no radio or tv at all, no electronic hook ups). We took the bus that was included in our package and there ended up being 2 bus loads of us at the same time. The plus is that there were no stops and it was only maybe 35 minutes to the hotel. The minus is that it took us about an hour and a half to check in as we're the second bus to be unloaded and were near the back of the line up. I think more staff should be available to help for when the rush happens. The poor workers at the front desk were just flying through the information trying to lessen the line up and therefore leaving people with more questions. This is the main reason why I rated the hotel as very good rather than excellent. it is important that the holiday starts on a high note to really set the tone for a wonderful vacay!

Room: We had booked 3 rooms and they were all in nice shape and very pleasing to the eye. Maybe some of the furniture is a bit out dated. Very spacious with lots of storage space. My room had two beds and was very soft and comfortable. The beds in the other 2 rooms were like rocks. There were a couple of small issues in the room when we got there. The thermostat did not work and our room was a bit hot. We called down and they fixed it right away and never had a problem with it for the rest of the 2 weeks. The shower head was messed up and spraying everywhere so they came in and 10 minutes later there was a brand new rain shower head installed. Anything we called to get fixed was looked at and dealt with in a timely fashion. We were very polite in our requests and they were respectful back. Our room was on the fifth floor and had a wonderful view of the ocean and faced East. Sun in the morning and shade in the afternoon was perfect.

Room Cleanliness: The room cleaning was done well enough but not in a timely manner. We are up and out of the room at 7am EVERY SINGLE MORNING. We may or may not pop up to the room after breakfast and we come back to the room around 3 or 4 pm. Some days the room was not done at all or else they were right in the middle of it. I did call down a couple of times to say we would be leaving the room all day and would like it cleaned sooner rather than later but that may be asking too much. I wish they would have a way to do this better.

Resort Cleanliness: The resort is VERY nice to look at. There are always workers cleaning pools, pathways, flower beds, trimming trees, watering the lawns, etc and always with a friendly Hola!!! The lobby is really nice as well and also very clean. You set your glass down and it is picked up very quickly. The foliage is mature which is very nice. Lot's of iguana's running around and chillin in the sun and enjoying the nice green trees.

Service: I have no real complaints on service. Most of our requests were dealt with in a timely manner and I did not experience any rudeness or bad customer service from any of the staff. Everyone from the pool waiters and activities staff to the maids were very nice and seemed to want to try to help you if they could. We tipped for good service but it was not expected.

Food: Not much selection. About half the trays to pick from compared to other resorts we have been too. Don't mistake this statement because the food that I did have to choose from was tasty and well (properly) cooked. They had a salad bar and a fresh fry station. We went to a couple of the ala cartes and they were good too. The Mexican is nice mostly because you are sitting on the water and the view is stunning at sunset so get an early booking for this one. My big gripe about the buffet is the other guests. I seen two teen girls grab food with their hand and put it back in the tray and one dipped her finger in salad dressing and licked her finger and dipped the same finger into the next dressing dish. That did it for me and I reported them to the buffet manager. As I was leaving I seen him approach them as they came back for seconds and started with their fingers again. Can we ALL, as human beings, please be more considerate in the buffet???????

Manzanillo is a really nice area. They are home to a massive shipping port and are actually building another one just down the coast. We went downtown a few times and the shopping doesn't seem to change no matter where you go in Mexico;). But they do have a pretty cool flea market that happens every Saturday. We went on a sunset boat tour and it was nice because the water was so calm. We ate downtown a couple of times and at both places the food was great. No one in our group had any stomach issues and one of the couples even stayed for 3 weeks. I would actually say that Manzanillo is a pretty sold middle class part of Mexico. I have seen way worse (like Mazatlan) and better (like Cabo). The streets and roads are cleaner than other places and the locals are in decent clothing and drive decent vehicles and seem to be generally decent people. I feel it is important to add that I felt safe everywhere we went for the entire 2 weeks. We did not choose to leave the resort after dark so I cannot comment on that part.

There are quite a bit of "locals" that come through on the weekends and can get quite rowdy at the Karmina but me as a Canadian can't say I've never taken a weekend trip in my own country/province and gotten a bit rowdy and loud and having a great time. I certainly have...lol.

All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel to others. If you go to any part of Mexico and keep in mind that you are visiting a 3rd world country and that you cannot always expect the same as you would get at home then I believe you'll be very pleasantly surprised. There is always room for improvement at any hotel in any country. Make sure to report room issues so they are fixed for the next person coming in and above all enjoy yourself!!!

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view. Our room was on the East side of the hotel and it was qui...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank SilverBullet11
Irene_Fuertes, Sub Directora at Barcelo Karmina, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Silverbullet 11,

I would like to thank you for your valuable comments, which for us represents an excellent tool that allow us to identify our opportunity areas and improve our service.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for all the inconveniences you had during your stay, with our check in, please be certain that our goal is to provide our guest with the highest levels of quality to ensure the most pleasant time with us. For this reason we have changed our groups check in procedures.

Please rest assure that we'll follow up on every aspect mentioned in your comments to improve our rooms, in fact we are following a furniture renovation program.

We want to thank you for your positive comments on the level of cleaning, for your next visit you can contact our front desk staff and let them know at what time you would like your room to be cleaned.

We will follow up your comments about our buffet restaurant with our food and beverages team and will reinforce all the needed procedures to reinforce the variety of the buffet. Anyway we have available more than 26 hot dishes in our buffet and we also have more options with a la carte restaurants.

We also thank you for your positive comments on the level of service that our employees are providing to all our guests and thank you for your comments about feeling safe here in Manzanillo. As you have said Manzanillo is a very safe place and perfect to enjoy your vacations.

We invite you to continue choosing our hotel for your next visit to Manzanillo, it will be our pleasure to welcome you once again at the Barceló Karmina Palace Deluxe.

Irene Fuertes
Subdirectora General
Hotel Barceló Karmina Palace Deluxe

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We were pleasantly surprised with Manzanillo in General. It is very laid back and the people there are not pushing them selves on you like you find in other Mexican locations, a breath of fresh air in that regard. The Culture is amazing and completely original. Very Clean with apparently low crime rates. My wallet fell out in the Taxi with about $600 in cash plus a credit card, I did have the drivers phone # and when I realized and called him and he immediately returned with everything intact. We used him for the rest of our 2 weeks and tipped him very well.

The Hotel is probably one of the nicest in Manzanillo with a beautiful private bay within the resort. The staff were wonderful and very accommodating. Awesome fishing, my wife and I caught 2 Sail Fishes, one went to feed an orphanage and other was stuffed and sent home. We would highly recommend the trip to people that don't like to be pestered when they are relaxing. We will certainly visit the Barceló Karmina Palace in the future.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Jimmy L
Barcelo Karmina P, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Karmina, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Jimmy L,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your visit to our Resort Barcelo Karmina. First of all, we certainly agree with what you mention about our beautiful destination, very nice people and safe.
We are glad that you had a pleasant stay with us, and that you enjoyed our grounds and kind staff. It will be an honor to welcome you back in the near future!