“Beautiful Resort - Family Friendly”
Review of Barcelo Karmina

Barcelo Karmina
Ranked #1 of 51 Hotels in Manzanillo
Reviewed 8 October 2009

This resort is very well taken care of. The food was good for an all-inclusive. The staff is very friendly and hospitable. The specialty restaurants were good and worth a visit. Take a chance and leave the property for a meal or two. Our best restaurant visit came from a referral from the front desk. It was a small restaurant that was a ½ hr cab ride away – Well worth the trip and probably the best night we had on this trip. We happened to run into our travel agent at that very same restaurant!

The rooms are HUGE and very nice. The bathroom has two sinks and a huge tub and separate shower. The only thing I would suggest is getting a room away from the activities pool. It is very loud, and the sounds from the activities echo into the room. This is not a problem most of the time but if you like a nap in the afternoon away from the sun it can be bothersome.

This is a very family-friendly resort. Do not go here if you expect parents to adhere to the ‘adults only’ pool rules. There were children splashing around the adult pool while the parents sat by and didn’t seem to believe the rules applied to their special little ones. Not cool!

Overall it was a nice resort for the price but I would not return for a relaxing quiet retreat.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MsBlissMpls
Citlally C, Guest Experience Manager at Barcelo Karmina, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2017

Thank you for your insights following your visit. We always look for ways to improve and your comments are crucial to our future success

Reviewed 25 September 2009

This beautiful hotel,taking over by Barcelo a few years ago,is a modern,spacious hotel in large grounds along the Pacific ocean.
It bills itself as a 5 star all-inclusive hotel.Indeed many aspects of the hotel merit this claim;however,the meals ware served buffet style and during the days we were there were very poor.For instance,a billed seafood buffet contained hardly any seafood at all.Then,we found that some dishes seemed very old and some breads not edible,some breakfast French toast was rock hard.
I spoke with the assistant manager upon departure and he seemed apologetic but not unduly concerned.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the time you took out of your day to share your comments regarding your stay in our Barceló Karmina hotel.

Reviewed 20 August 2009

The hotel was O-kay, looked older than other resorts nearby. I was VERY disappointed with the TINY private beach, SERIOUSLY its swimming pool size. I expected it to be a little more plush for the money I was paying. However, the room was nice, very large and comfortable. Shower had great water pressure, a must. The shampoo and conditioner combo as well as body wash was VERY CHEAP, probably better suited to do the dishes with-- I expect better toiletries from a pricey hotel-resort. A winning point in my book was the room's two TVs with 3 HBO channels and Cinemax which I enjoyed. NO free wi-fi, you have to pay for internet service, computers are located in the lobby. I'd rate the food as only FAIR, it was kinda bland but since it was all inclusive you should eat up. There was great service from the waiters and waitresses and all the booze you can drink or all the virgin tropical drinks you want if that is your pleasure. The power went out briefly when I was at this hotel and there were no announcements made (it was pitch black!)which was annoying but everyone remained calm. Luckily the power was restored and the air conditioners came back to life. Air conditioning is a MUST since it is extremely hot and humid in Manzanillo. Could have been trouble if the power hadn't come back on when it did. Bottom line this hotel-resort is only O-KAY, for the price you can do better staying some where else. If you are looking for a nice big beach this is NOT the place for you. Also the entrances to the larger public beaches adjacent to this resort were gated and locked at all times. I would only recommend this place if it improves access to adjacent public beaches or does something to expand its private beach (which is unlikely). You can do better for the price, stay some where else.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ladolcediva

Firstly we would like to thank you for choosing our Barceló Karmina hotel for your holidays in Manzanillo and for the review, all of your kind words about your stay with us are great to hear

Reviewed 16 June 2009

This is an honest and truthful review of our recent stay at the barcelo karmina palace. We arrived on thursday 11th of june for 4 nights. We received a top floor junior suite with ocean view and sunny balcony. The grounds of the hotel are very well kept and clean with lovely flowers. There are a number of pools around the complex some for families and some for adults only. Except there was no one checking that children were not in the adults section. There is a small beach within a small bay which is great for cooling off but not for swimming as the current is very strong. There are plenty of places to eat at during the day and plentiful food on offer to suit all palets. There are a la carte restaurants to choose from for evening meal, however they are only open if the hotel is full or nearly full. There is allways the main restautant open. The one thing that let the hotel down was reception. They are not very friendly and not very helpful either. The bell men are friendly and helpful with luggage. All in all a very nice weekend break away.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kjl55

We greatly appreciate the time you spent to review your experience in our hotel, at Barceló we always strive to exceed guests' expectations and your comments will help our teams reaching that goal.

Reviewed 10 May 2009

Grounds are beautiful with 8 pools. All staff was helpful and friendly and polite. The food was abundant and good. Drinks also. Rooms are spacious with private balconies. I have stayed at top hotels and paid exhorbitant rates and found plenty to complain about. At $139.00 (priceline) for two persons this felt like a steal. Really enjoyed four day stay.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank lmhOhio

Reviewed 1 May 2009

Our family travelled with Transat Holidays to the Barcel Karmina Palace April 17-27/09. There were 8 of us in the group, my husband, myself, our two boys (6 & 3), my Mom, my Aunt and my mother & father in-law. This being our first trip woth the kids, I didn't know what to expect.
The flight from Toronto was good except for a little turbulance. We were one of the first people of the plane in Manzanillo so going through customs and security was quick. The drive to the resort was smooth, I was surprised to see paved roads. I guess I was expecting the same kind of roads as you would find in Cuba or the DR. On the bus the tour operator announced that someone in our party had left a bag at the airport. For some reason it was checked under my 3 year olds name and she came and asked him if he remembered leaving a bag at the the airport....he stared at her blankly....he is 3!! Fortunately on the next bus load to the BKP the bag was there, saving us a return trip to the airport the following morning.
The check-in was pretty quick, there was some confusion with the location of the rooms (we were all spead out, no where close to eachother) and beds in the 3 rooms we had but we swapped amongst us and things worked out fine in the end. Just a note; ask for your safe key at check-in. The rooms we had did not have digital safes so we had to go back down and get it.
There was one restaurant opened for us when we arrived so we were able to have a bite to eat before settling in for the night.
The suites are AMAZING; the best I have stayed in. The pics you see posted are indeed what you get. We had a King bed and the kids slept on the pull-out couch which they thought was the coolest thing. It was nice to have some space and it never felt like you were stepping on eachother. Even the bathrooms were great; spacious, clean, modern. There is plenty of closet and drawer space. Overall, a very nice room.
The food was very good, we enjoyed it. No one got sick from food or drink which was great. Near the end of the week, the food got repetitive but that is to be expected from any all-inclusive resort. As for the a la cartes, we had three. We were told we could only book on the DAY we wanted to go. We chose to wait a few days and tryed to book on Tuesday. We were told that Tuesday was booked. The concierge was kind enough to give us a Wednesday and Thursday reservation at that time seeing as we weren't able to use all three a la carte dinner. Service in the beginning was FANTASTIC. Near the end it was hard to get a glass of water in the buffet.
If you are a beach person, this place isn't for you. The resort beach is a little cove. There were always seats by the beach but the sand is rough, sea shell rough, and the water was rough too. My husband snorkeled a bit but didn't really enjoy it. We walked over to the public beach and it was nice. No one was there, probably because the water was so rough and huge waves.
The pools were great! Cold at first but very refreshing. It took us a few days to find a good location (we ended up up top near the pool bar). We found the lower pool to be very busy with a lot of kids. This resort is VERY kid friendly. Lots of kids ALL the time. I found the waterslide to be a little to much for my kids so they never tried it. Kids were airborn off the slide so if you are travelling with kids, watch people come off it first before you let our young ones try.
We contemplated doing the Eco tour/turtle sanctuary but decided against it. We never did get to see if anyone else at the resort went so I can't comment if it was any good or not. I did find pricing for the excursions to be very reasonably priced.
We watched two shows, the Disney show and the Grammy Stars show. The Disney was good for the kids, except a lot was in Spanish, I guess for the large number of Spanish speaking people at the resort. The Grammy Stars show was OK....The Michael Jackson segment was a little too much.... there were many kids there and his 'signature move' was done WAY TOO MANY TIMES.
From what I heard there was a Mexican holiday before/during our stay so the resort was full to capacity. I did find there were a lot of Mexican people at the resort with many, many children. Sadly I found some people to be quite rude and obnoxious. One boy actually came over and stole my kids water toys while they were playing with! I had to actually go over to him and get them back. I was very surprised to see that. I know he is only a kid but still, as a parent I can guarantee neither of my children would EVER do that.
A few words or warning: Safety regulations are not the same as in Canada, there are many pool levels with no rails. It would be very easy for a little one (or an older one after a few too many cervasa's) to take a serious tumble. There are also many stairs which are not very well lit at night. My aunt had some difficulty seeing the steps from the buffet at night and came close to tumbling. So, if you are travelling with seniors, give them an extra hand :-)
Overall, we had a great time at the BKP. Would we go back? Forsure.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Lea-Lea76

Thank you for the great feedback of your holiday experience at our Barceló Karmina; guest satisfaction is our number one goal and there is nothing better than achieving that, we are happy our hotel and staff were able to meet all your needs during your stay.

Reviewed 26 April 2009

Just got home from our first trip to Mexico and it was beautiful. After a LONG flight our welcome to the hotel was warm as was the weather.We were greeted with a drink and whisked off to the buffet for a wonderful meal before we were off and wandering around this large resort. This resort is all built into a hill so there is alot of stairs and hills so it may not be for people that have problems going up or down inclines.The rooms are amazing the beds are comfortable and the views awesome. The buffets are really good there is one large and one small the large one does all 3 meals but they start later for lunch and dinner the smaller one (by the pool) has an earlier lunch but no dinner it changes to the Italian ala carte (highly reccomend). There are many bars as well and all easy to find, there is no swim-up bar but they do have pool service and they are very efficient. One thing I did not like about this resort is....the Karmina Palace is our Great wolf lodge in Niagra Falls, if you are not a big fan of kids this may not be the place for you, while we were there it was a magor holiday for the Mexicans and so the place was PACKED and not just with kids they travel with their WHOLE family at once so it was very busy. So check ahead and make sure it isn't holiday time when you go there. The beach (if you are a beach person ) not so good the water wasn't clear and blue and it had a certain aroma and the sand wasn't soft it was more like crushed shells, but beyond the resort you could walk for miles where at the resort they had a cove there for your swimming pleasure. The food was amazing you will not go hungry, the italian ala carte was the best and the buffets were always good and the burgers at the small lunch buffet or at the snack hut were always good. All in all this was an awesome resort lots to do lots to see and lots of nice people, when you get to the front entrance talk to Raul he speaks PERFECT english and then can turn around and speak spanish he's great and he can get you a cab to anywhere. A word of advice that I wish someone had told us is ...take some sandwich bags with you and make a good snack of sandwiches or crackers or whatever, there is nothing really to eat at the airport and the service is so slow there you be there a while, very in effecient.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends