“Paradise. Relaxing. Beautiful.”
Review of Barcelo Karmina

Barcelo Karmina
Ranked #1 of 52 Hotels in Manzanillo
Reviewed 15 November 2009

This place was absolute paradise. I have been all over Mexico, several times, and this was one of my finest resort experiences. There is no question this resort is deserving of its 4.5 star rating. The rooms were fabulous. Large rooms, large balconies and large bathrooms. The resort is very lush with beautifully manicured grounds with palm trees, grassy areas and flowers everywhere.

The food was great. After reading some of the reviews on here about the terrible food, I was a bit concerned. Either the Karmina Palace made some massive improvements based on the bad reviews, or the people who gave bad reviews had unrealistic expectations. For an all inclusive resort, I was more than satisfied with the food. The Italian restaurant was outstanding all three times I ate there. No complaints whatsoever in this regard.

The spa is fabulous… great service, and a really good value. I also read reviews that few staff members spoke English. I did not find communication a problem at all. I highly recommend upgrading to the premium class ($25/pp per day). Since I was there alone, this was worth every cent. I had access to a beautiful private beach area, which I had to myself the entire week. It also includes premium drinks, ocean view room, and a 20% discount at the spa (which I took full advantage of!).

Overall, it was a great experience from start to finish. The only (and just slight) concern I had was with other guests at the resort. As Manzanillo is not a busy tourist area for North Americans (like Puerto Vallarta or Cancun), as a Canadian, I was definitely a minority. This was not a problem for me at all, but other guests (from various parts of Mexico) were less than friendly towards me. It made me wish I knew Spanish so I could understand what they were saying about me. Unwelcome stares were common every day; however, I mostly stayed to myself and enjoyed some much needed time away alone, so it was easy to ignore it.

A couple of tips…. I took a taxi into downtown Manzanillo, which was not at all what I was expecting. There is literally nothing there. I learned, that there are several places to go around the resort (bars, restaurants, shopping), but downtown is not the place to go. It was suggested by the concierge (the only staff member at the resort who was very unfriendly towards me). After a 30 minute cab ride, I spent two hours walking around downtown feeling very unsafe (during the day), as there was literally no other tourists there. Not to mention, a single restaurant, shop or even a shack to have a beer. It was very bizarre.

The other suggestion I would make is to take pesos instead of American money. They will over quote for the price of things, for example, they told me my upgrade was 2000 pesos, or $200 American. I ended up putting in on my credit card, to which I was only charged $165 Canadian. The same will apply for taxis (I was told $30 American or 300 pesos – not the same amount!)

As much as I thoroughly enjoyed every second of my vacation at the Karmina Palace, I’m not sure I would return to Manzanillo again. I definitely felt safe there (being a woman alone), however, I didn’t always feel comfortable or welcome by other guests.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
6  Thank kcorcoran
Citlally C, Guest Experience Manager at Barcelo Karmina, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2017

Firstly we would like to thank you for the lovely review you shared following your visit to our Barceló hotel and are delighted to read that we were able to match your holiday expectations.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,446)

Reviewed 24 October 2009

This hotel was AMAZING! There is no way anyone could fault it.
ROOMS- the rooms are huge. they each have a sleeping area and and a sitting area, with a T.V. in each of the areas. the bathrooms are massive as well and have large showers and 2 sinks with counters. the rooms were cleaned until they were spotless daily and the mini was also restocked daily.
POOLS- the pools aren't heated, so they tend to be on the cool side, which is good considering how hot it gets during the day. there is an adult pool if you want some peace and quiet. there is a water slide that is technically only for kids but its easy to sneak onto.
BEACH- the beach is small and the sand isn't white, but what do you expect on the west coast? if you leave the resort there is a beach that spans for miles if you enjoy walking on the beach.
FOOD- the food was very good. it is difficult to make reservations some days for teh a la cartes, but they are definitely worth it. the desserts at all the restaurants are excellent as well.
SERVICE- the service is great. there is always someone asking if you'd like a drink while you're lounging by the pool. most of the staff don't speak english but understand basic requests in english. tipping a few dollars here and there will get you even better service.

Overall this is an excellent hotel, and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank Beachlover314
Citlally C, Guest Experience Manager at Barcelo Karmina, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2017

Thank you for the great feedback of your holiday experience at our Barceló Karmina; guest satisfaction is our number one goal and there is nothing better than achieving that, we are happy our hotel and staff were able to meet all your needs during your stay.

Reviewed 8 October 2009

We loved the Karmina! Staff was wonderful. It is a beautiful resort. When we went in April, 2009 the weather was great. Food is good, nothing exceptional but not bad also.
Did not have any problems checking in and our room was very spacious and clean.
Would definately go again!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family

Thank you very much for leaving these wonderful comments on Tripadvisor, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay among us.

Reviewed 8 October 2009

This resort is very well taken care of. The food was good for an all-inclusive. The staff is very friendly and hospitable. The specialty restaurants were good and worth a visit. Take a chance and leave the property for a meal or two. Our best restaurant visit came from a referral from the front desk. It was a small restaurant that was a ½ hr cab ride away – Well worth the trip and probably the best night we had on this trip. We happened to run into our travel agent at that very same restaurant!

The rooms are HUGE and very nice. The bathroom has two sinks and a huge tub and separate shower. The only thing I would suggest is getting a room away from the activities pool. It is very loud, and the sounds from the activities echo into the room. This is not a problem most of the time but if you like a nap in the afternoon away from the sun it can be bothersome.

This is a very family-friendly resort. Do not go here if you expect parents to adhere to the ‘adults only’ pool rules. There were children splashing around the adult pool while the parents sat by and didn’t seem to believe the rules applied to their special little ones. Not cool!

Overall it was a nice resort for the price but I would not return for a relaxing quiet retreat.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MsBlissMpls

Thank you for your insights following your visit. We always look for ways to improve and your comments are crucial to our future success

Reviewed 25 September 2009

This beautiful hotel,taking over by Barcelo a few years ago,is a modern,spacious hotel in large grounds along the Pacific ocean.
It bills itself as a 5 star all-inclusive hotel.Indeed many aspects of the hotel merit this claim;however,the meals ware served buffet style and during the days we were there were very poor.For instance,a billed seafood buffet contained hardly any seafood at all.Then,we found that some dishes seemed very old and some breads not edible,some breakfast French toast was rock hard.
I spoke with the assistant manager upon departure and he seemed apologetic but not unduly concerned.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the time you took out of your day to share your comments regarding your stay in our Barceló Karmina hotel.

Reviewed 20 August 2009

The hotel was O-kay, looked older than other resorts nearby. I was VERY disappointed with the TINY private beach, SERIOUSLY its swimming pool size. I expected it to be a little more plush for the money I was paying. However, the room was nice, very large and comfortable. Shower had great water pressure, a must. The shampoo and conditioner combo as well as body wash was VERY CHEAP, probably better suited to do the dishes with-- I expect better toiletries from a pricey hotel-resort. A winning point in my book was the room's two TVs with 3 HBO channels and Cinemax which I enjoyed. NO free wi-fi, you have to pay for internet service, computers are located in the lobby. I'd rate the food as only FAIR, it was kinda bland but since it was all inclusive you should eat up. There was great service from the waiters and waitresses and all the booze you can drink or all the virgin tropical drinks you want if that is your pleasure. The power went out briefly when I was at this hotel and there were no announcements made (it was pitch black!)which was annoying but everyone remained calm. Luckily the power was restored and the air conditioners came back to life. Air conditioning is a MUST since it is extremely hot and humid in Manzanillo. Could have been trouble if the power hadn't come back on when it did. Bottom line this hotel-resort is only O-KAY, for the price you can do better staying some where else. If you are looking for a nice big beach this is NOT the place for you. Also the entrances to the larger public beaches adjacent to this resort were gated and locked at all times. I would only recommend this place if it improves access to adjacent public beaches or does something to expand its private beach (which is unlikely). You can do better for the price, stay some where else.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ladolcediva

Firstly we would like to thank you for choosing our Barceló Karmina hotel for your holidays in Manzanillo and for the review, all of your kind words about your stay with us are great to hear

Reviewed 16 June 2009

This is an honest and truthful review of our recent stay at the barcelo karmina palace. We arrived on thursday 11th of june for 4 nights. We received a top floor junior suite with ocean view and sunny balcony. The grounds of the hotel are very well kept and clean with lovely flowers. There are a number of pools around the complex some for families and some for adults only. Except there was no one checking that children were not in the adults section. There is a small beach within a small bay which is great for cooling off but not for swimming as the current is very strong. There are plenty of places to eat at during the day and plentiful food on offer to suit all palets. There are a la carte restaurants to choose from for evening meal, however they are only open if the hotel is full or nearly full. There is allways the main restautant open. The one thing that let the hotel down was reception. They are not very friendly and not very helpful either. The bell men are friendly and helpful with luggage. All in all a very nice weekend break away.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kjl55

We greatly appreciate the time you spent to review your experience in our hotel, at Barceló we always strive to exceed guests' expectations and your comments will help our teams reaching that goal.