“Palace Fit for a King (and Princesses)”
Review of Barcelo Karmina

Barcelo Karmina
Ranked #1 of 53 Hotels in Manzanillo
Encinitas, California
“Palace Fit for a King (and Princesses)”
Reviewed 5 December 2009

Can't say enough good things about this resort. Travelled with 20 adults and I had the only 2 young children. The kids stayed busy all day snorkeling, swimming, playing, eating, dancing. We grown-ups soaked up the sun, the cocktails and enjoyed dining and the entertainment. What a spectacular place. Will definitely be returning and have recommended to many.

Stayed May 2006, travelled with friends
1 Thank vrichardson1968
Citlally C, Guest Experience Manager at Barcelo Karmina, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
We always find it nice to read that our guests went home with great holiday memories and we are very grateful for the time and effort you spent to share your personal experience at our Barceló Karmina hotel with us and Tripadvisor readers.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
New Westminster
Reviewed 17 November 2009

My husband and I have just returned from Manzanillo and our our stay at Barcelo Karmina Palace, which is very lovely. We paid for an ocean view room only to find that the ocean could be viewed only from the far right hand side of our balcony, we were disappointed . We then paid a $300 upgrade to the Club package to receive a full ocean view room on the 7th floor which was outstanding; virtually the same room as we had but with the actual ocean view, which we thought we had already paid for! As we lounged by the beautiful pools we found out from others that had paid the standard ocean view in fact received the full ocean view even without the upgrade. This lead to a discussion with the front desk manager, Raul, and he basically said it was the luck of the draw in room allocations, he was quite unconcerned. This was an expensive lesson - all I can advise is to be very careful what the room discriptions really mean. It left quite a bad taste when everything else was great!
The food was OK, certainly not the best that we have had in all inclusivies but the service from all the staff was absolutely the best - they couldn't do enough. The nightly entertainment was a big surprise. Each evening was a different theme, the costumes were beautiflu and the dancers were all classically ballet trained - awesome.
The resort was gorgeous - the beach was great and the pools were always spotless!
This was our first trip to Manzanillo. The local power plant is run by deisel fuel - it can be seen from the resort and the emissions are extreme! The pollution is seen as a haze across the area - I was very surpirzed to see the amount of pollution, but it does enhance the orange sunsets that can be seen each evening! Such a shame! We were told that a new power plant is under construction and they will be burning the cleaner natural gas.
I am glad to have visited Manzanillo but will be unlikely to return.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank KarenNewWestminster
Thank you for your insights following your visit. We always look for ways to improve and your comments are crucial to our future success
Calgary, AB
Reviewed 15 November 2009

This place was absolute paradise. I have been all over Mexico, several times, and this was one of my finest resort experiences. There is no question this resort is deserving of its 4.5 star rating. The rooms were fabulous. Large rooms, large balconies and large bathrooms. The resort is very lush with beautifully manicured grounds with palm trees, grassy areas and flowers everywhere.

The food was great. After reading some of the reviews on here about the terrible food, I was a bit concerned. Either the Karmina Palace made some massive improvements based on the bad reviews, or the people who gave bad reviews had unrealistic expectations. For an all inclusive resort, I was more than satisfied with the food. The Italian restaurant was outstanding all three times I ate there. No complaints whatsoever in this regard.

The spa is fabulous… great service, and a really good value. I also read reviews that few staff members spoke English. I did not find communication a problem at all. I highly recommend upgrading to the premium class ($25/pp per day). Since I was there alone, this was worth every cent. I had access to a beautiful private beach area, which I had to myself the entire week. It also includes premium drinks, ocean view room, and a 20% discount at the spa (which I took full advantage of!).

Overall, it was a great experience from start to finish. The only (and just slight) concern I had was with other guests at the resort. As Manzanillo is not a busy tourist area for North Americans (like Puerto Vallarta or Cancun), as a Canadian, I was definitely a minority. This was not a problem for me at all, but other guests (from various parts of Mexico) were less than friendly towards me. It made me wish I knew Spanish so I could understand what they were saying about me. Unwelcome stares were common every day; however, I mostly stayed to myself and enjoyed some much needed time away alone, so it was easy to ignore it.

A couple of tips…. I took a taxi into downtown Manzanillo, which was not at all what I was expecting. There is literally nothing there. I learned, that there are several places to go around the resort (bars, restaurants, shopping), but downtown is not the place to go. It was suggested by the concierge (the only staff member at the resort who was very unfriendly towards me). After a 30 minute cab ride, I spent two hours walking around downtown feeling very unsafe (during the day), as there was literally no other tourists there. Not to mention, a single restaurant, shop or even a shack to have a beer. It was very bizarre.

The other suggestion I would make is to take pesos instead of American money. They will over quote for the price of things, for example, they told me my upgrade was 2000 pesos, or $200 American. I ended up putting in on my credit card, to which I was only charged $165 Canadian. The same will apply for taxis (I was told $30 American or 300 pesos – not the same amount!)

As much as I thoroughly enjoyed every second of my vacation at the Karmina Palace, I’m not sure I would return to Manzanillo again. I definitely felt safe there (being a woman alone), however, I didn’t always feel comfortable or welcome by other guests.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
6 Thank kcorcoran
Firstly we would like to thank you for the lovely review you shared following your visit to our Barceló hotel and are delighted to read that we were able to match your holiday expectations.
Toronto
Reviewed 24 October 2009

This hotel was AMAZING! There is no way anyone could fault it.
ROOMS- the rooms are huge. they each have a sleeping area and and a sitting area, with a T.V. in each of the areas. the bathrooms are massive as well and have large showers and 2 sinks with counters. the rooms were cleaned until they were spotless daily and the mini was also restocked daily.
POOLS- the pools aren't heated, so they tend to be on the cool side, which is good considering how hot it gets during the day. there is an adult pool if you want some peace and quiet. there is a water slide that is technically only for kids but its easy to sneak onto.
BEACH- the beach is small and the sand isn't white, but what do you expect on the west coast? if you leave the resort there is a beach that spans for miles if you enjoy walking on the beach.
FOOD- the food was very good. it is difficult to make reservations some days for teh a la cartes, but they are definitely worth it. the desserts at all the restaurants are excellent as well.
SERVICE- the service is great. there is always someone asking if you'd like a drink while you're lounging by the pool. most of the staff don't speak english but understand basic requests in english. tipping a few dollars here and there will get you even better service.

Overall this is an excellent hotel, and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank Beachlover314
Thank you for the great feedback of your holiday experience at our Barceló Karmina; guest satisfaction is our number one goal and there is nothing better than achieving that, we are happy our hotel and staff were able to meet all your needs during your stay.
ny
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We loved the Karmina! Staff was wonderful. It is a beautiful resort. When we went in April, 2009 the weather was great. Food is good, nothing exceptional but not bad also.
Did not have any problems checking in and our room was very spacious and clean.
Would definately go again!!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Thank you very much for leaving these wonderful comments on Tripadvisor, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay among us.
Minneapolis
Reviewed 8 October 2009

This resort is very well taken care of. The food was good for an all-inclusive. The staff is very friendly and hospitable. The specialty restaurants were good and worth a visit. Take a chance and leave the property for a meal or two. Our best restaurant visit came from a referral from the front desk. It was a small restaurant that was a ½ hr cab ride away – Well worth the trip and probably the best night we had on this trip. We happened to run into our travel agent at that very same restaurant!

The rooms are HUGE and very nice. The bathroom has two sinks and a huge tub and separate shower. The only thing I would suggest is getting a room away from the activities pool. It is very loud, and the sounds from the activities echo into the room. This is not a problem most of the time but if you like a nap in the afternoon away from the sun it can be bothersome.

This is a very family-friendly resort. Do not go here if you expect parents to adhere to the ‘adults only’ pool rules. There were children splashing around the adult pool while the parents sat by and didn’t seem to believe the rules applied to their special little ones. Not cool!

Overall it was a nice resort for the price but I would not return for a relaxing quiet retreat.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MsBlissMpls
Guadalajara,Mexico
Reviewed 25 September 2009

This beautiful hotel,taking over by Barcelo a few years ago,is a modern,spacious hotel in large grounds along the Pacific ocean.
It bills itself as a 5 star all-inclusive hotel.Indeed many aspects of the hotel merit this claim;however,the meals ware served buffet style and during the days we were there were very poor.For instance,a billed seafood buffet contained hardly any seafood at all.Then,we found that some dishes seemed very old and some breads not edible,some breakfast French toast was rock hard.
I spoke with the assistant manager upon departure and he seemed apologetic but not unduly concerned.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the time you took out of your day to share your comments regarding your stay in our Barceló Karmina hotel.