“would definitely return”

Ranked #1 of 53 Hotels in Manzanillo
bc canada
“would definitely return”
Reviewed 20 April 2010

This resort is lovely. It is scrupulously clean, the food is fantastic, drinks are delicious. Aaron at the adult pool deserves a medal for the amazing service he provides. The beach is not great which we were prepared for but the pools more than make up for it. The only downside is the ridiculous towel game that goes on - we saw people reserving loungers at two and three different locations. When you get a party of six holding eighteen different chairs there are going to be issues. But other than that we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would definitely return.

Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ilovehawaii
Citlally C, Guest Experience Manager at Barcelo Karmina, responded to this review, 20 April 2017
We greatly appreciate the time you spent to review your experience in our hotel, at Barceló we always strive to exceed guests' expectations and your comments will help our teams reaching that goal.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
Vancouver
Reviewed 15 April 2010

Hotel is clean and well maintained inside and outside with spacious rooms. Quality of food was repetitive each day and selection limited. Sadly the operational hours of the speciality restaurants were not displayed resulting in disappointment for our last evening as the Mexican restaurant was closed!!!!
Entertainment was enjoyable but despite varying theme nights the performances each evening were very similar.
Chair resevations were an issue as we were visiting during the Easter Break and guests were laying personal items and would not appear until several hours later which was frustrating. Signage on umbrellas did indicate not to reserve chairs but this was ignored. During the high season this needs to be enforced by hotel staff/security.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Firstly we would like to thank you for choosing our Barceló Karmina hotel once again for your holidays and for sharing this wonderful feedback of your stay among us, it is indeed very rewarding to read that we keep on meeting all your holiday needs and wishes once again.
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 15 April 2010

A group of us (7 adults and 2 children under 4) visited the Barceló Karmina Palace in Manzanillo, Mexico from March 24 - 31, 2010. We had a great time. This place is beautiful. See details below.

Property:
The resort property was very beautiful and fairly easy to get around for those that have difficulty (all areas are accessible without using stairs). There is a bit of an incline when walking from the beach towards the rooms however. There are lots of flowers and palms making the grounds very lush.

Rooms:
My fiance and I have been to Mexico 5 times and these are the best rooms we've ever seen. We just had a standard room with a king bed, but it was like a premium room in most other resorts. The beds were comfortable, but the pillows were horrible. If you are like me and have neck problems I highly recommend bringing your own pillow. The bathrooms were great. There were 2 sinks, large soaker tub, tiled shower with glass door (no shower curtain to stick to you), and a separate enclosure for the toilet.

Pools:
There are extensive pools with 3 adult only areas. The pools are a little chilly however, but warm up near the end of the daytime hours. It's not so bad when its 30'C +.

Food:
The food was amazing. Again the best out of all the times we've been in Mexico. The buffet was great, the Mexican al-a-carte was great, and the Japanese restaurant was descent considering it's Japanese food made in Mexico (have to keep an open mind). The deep-fried ice-cream at the Japanese was my favourite dessert of the week and the cheesecake at the Mexican was my fiancé’s favourite. We didn't go to the Italian, but my mom, sister, and 2 small children did and they said it was pretty good. The desserts at the buffet weren't quite as good as other places we've stayed, but that wasn’t a big deal since we were typically too full to eat much of them anyway.

Drinks:
The resort makes good cappuccinos (especially good with cinnamon added) and the coffee was good too. The bar drinks weren't quite as good as other places we've stayed, but were ok. We liked strawberry & bananas with vodka. There isn't a drink menu so you've got to use your imagination. Sometimes they seemed a little week so we asked for more booze to be added, which wasn't a problem.

Manzanillo area:
The view from the resort is nice. To the right of the resort (facing the ocean) has a very European (Moorish) feel to it and the left side heading towards Manzanillo proper looks nice as well. Manzanillo is not nearly as tourist oriented as places like Puerto Vallarta or the Riviera Maya so there is not much in the way of shopping for touristy type stuff (silver, trinkets, sarongs, etc). Manzanillo proper (downtown) is very busy with narrow sidewalks, but worth the experience just to see what a non-touristy Mexican city is like. Most of the shops have North American attire and merchants don't hound you to buy (really don't seem like they care if you do or not). Apparently, the state of Colima (where Manzanillo resides) is one of the richest Mexican provinces with higher education and income rates. We recommend buying alcohol, etc. at the Mexican Wal-Mart (it’s called Sorianas). It’s like Wal-Mart but Mexican owned. Both Sorianas and Wal-Mart are about a 10 minute walk up the beach to the left of the resort (facing the ocean).

Beaches:
The beach at the resort is small and not for boogie boarding or surfing, but you can snorkel and it's good for small children. When we snorkeled in this small man-made bay it was quite silty and hard to see much. To the right of the resort (facing the ocean) there is a great snorkeling beach (just walk off the resort and it's right there). It was less silty (as long as boats aren't speeding around) and we saw lots of fish (stingrays, puffer fish and a number of others). This is actually the best snorkeling we've seen in Mexico to date. The water is pleasant and actually feels warmer than the pools.

Internet:
If you need to use the internet during the week to checkup on things at home then you may be a little frustrated. The system wasn't very good and the connection was really slow. If you need to use the internet and have a small laptop, iPhone/iPod Touch, Blackberry or something else with WiFi capabilities then you can use the resorts free WiFi with much greater ease (we borrowed a friends iPod Touch after trying to use the internet terminals).

Nightlife:
A downside to this resort is that everything pretty much stops once the nightly show is over around 9:30 - 10 pm. There typically wasn't music or anything. The bars near the stage were open for a while after however. There is a disco that opens at 11pm and the atmosphere is great since it's located in the open-air Mexican restaurant overlooking the ocean after it's closed for dinner, but it was usually dead. It probably would have been busier if the resort kept the entertainment going after the show to bridge the gap before the disco opened. For those that like to party at night the resort wasn't great, but fantastic till the nightly show was over. The shows were very well done. The stage wasn’t as elaborate as we’ve seen (no big deal at all), but the dancers were very good.

Service:
The service was great (as usual in Mexico). The staff were ready to please and we had no issues at all. There aren't bars near all the adult pools, but a waiter was happy to come around to take your order (we had one come by with a tray every 15 minutes or so and gave him 20 pesos each trip - there were about 3-4 couples so each couple took turns tipping).

Overall we loved the resort and are willing to visit again in future!

• Stayed March 2010
2 Thank M_and_N_s_Adventures
Firstly we would like to thank you for the lovely review you shared following your visit to our Barceló hotel and are delighted to read that we were able to match your holiday expectations.
Cochrane, Canada
Reviewed 11 April 2010

My 18 year old daughter and I have just returned from the Karmia Palace and we loved it! Check in was very quick, appreciated after 2 1/2 hour line at the customs most of which was outside in the sun. (Not the usual I am sure but 3 flights arrived at the same time and it was Easter weekend)
Our room was on the 7th floor facing the ocean and was huge and spotlessly clean. The bathroom was one of the biggest I have ever seen. Lots of elevators to different areas of the hotel and even though it was completely full we never had to wait.
We both booked numerous services at the spa and all were outstanding, but a little pricey for Mexico....might be cheaper off site but it was very convenient and we had no problem booking times we wanted.
As stated in other reviews the buffets offered lots of selection but we are really picky eaters and we still always found something we liked but it was not always hot enough. The al carte Italian was the best and we visited it twice and the Mexican once. I the Mexican is a beautiful spot to watch the sunset.
All the gounds and pools were beautiful and very well maintained by the staff. We avoided the family pools but everyone there seemed to be having lots of fun. We stayed by the adult pools that were very quite, had great drink service and all different level of water depth. Even though the pools are all connected they are seperated by gardens and feel very private.
We went to the show that is different everynight and I thought they were very entertaining and well presented (compared to some resorts where the activity staff puts on very amaturish shows). My daughter who teaches dance thought the dancing was very high quality.
Yoga every morning was very good and a little challenging for someone my age but the instructor was very good and you get a lovely suprise at the end
Only one negative. Being so busy over easter and I am an early riser I would always sit with coffee and watch the sunrise and then leave our towels on the chairs while I went to get my daughter up and went for breakfast. On the monday when many Mexican families were checking out numerous towels were stolen from different pool areas and one lady I spoke t o had her camera stolen from her beach bag. Unfortunately the hotel charged $25.00 for each towel. I only had one stolen but some families were missing 2 or more. Too bad the hotel would not be more understanding. If I had lost my towel I would have gladly paid but felt that we paid for spas, and tours this fee might have been waived.

All in all, this is a wonderful place to spend a week and everyone from families with small children to teens and retirees, all seem to really enjoy this resort!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank mcmCalgary
Thank you for reviewing your stay in our Barceló Karmina. It is wonderful to hear we were able to make your stay special from the moment you arrived until the moment you departed.
Calgary
Reviewed 8 April 2010

Here is my review categorized by rating
10/10
- The general appearance of the hotel, the grounds and the rooms, top notch
- The architecture, a lot of attention to detail
- The pools, wow, there are a myriad of interconnecting waterways with lots of trees for shade and privacy
- The waiter service, no matter where you were they'd find you, always pleasant
- Never seemed crowded, even with every room full
- Bottled beer and several brands to choose from

9/10
- The a-la-cartes, good food, lots of choice, but only 3 on site. Line up in the morning to reserve and they always sold out fast, yet when you were there they seemed empty even with a full hotel so how could they be sold-out?
- Mixed drinks, good but a little hit or miss depending on bar-tender, full strength

8/10
- The buffet, pretty good selection, but never hot enough, pasta bar and omelet bar were my choice for hot food. Good table service

7/10
- Hours of service, every thing food related shuts down by 11 or so, late night drinks are only available at the disco, till 2am.

6/10
- Local phone calls are not free, 2 calls cost me $5.

Overall we were very pleased with the resort. If I were the type to go anywhere twice (which I am not, too many other places to see and experience) I would definitely consider going back.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank rj3k
Thank you for the time you took out of your day to share your comments regarding your stay in our Barceló Karmina hotel.
vancouver, bc
Reviewed 7 April 2010

Hmmmmmmm, where to start, well, in my 40 years I had never gone to Mexico because of all the past talk re: water, montezuma, etc., never had the desire...but hit the big "4-0" and the price was right so thought we would give it a try.....me being the nervous nellie I am read ALL reviews, going back years, before leaving. Being in Sandals Jamaica all inclusive couples only in Ocho Rios just 2 years ago, I guess we had been spoiled...although we didnt know it until we got to Karmina....Just warnin you...cant help but compare. First off...no one mentioned the 2 hour wait at the airport...took us 3 hours from plane to hotel. 45 of those mins being on the tarmac in our jeans and runners in the mexican sun...somebody could have warned us about that! once inside the airport it was another hour as three planes came in at once and they only had 2 people on...finally they put another 2 people on once 3/4 thru the winding winding line up. If we knew we were gonna spend another 3 hours in a line up we would have reconsidered staying on the plane another 3 hours and going somewhere nicer! Anyways, once the 2 buses were full we got put on a van,,,,,which was okay with me, nicely air conditioned and no car sickness...sometimes it pays to be last in line....I don't know if the couple with the one year old...on their lap agreed. After our driver answered his cell phone at least 10 times...we were there, thankfully everyone else had already checked in (we got stuck behind a tomato truck) and we got thru quickly....we upgraded to premium, although we had to ask about it, $30 per person per night - so $60 more each day. (this was only $10 more then upgrading to an ocean view room - which someone beside us did - and they never mentioned upgrading to premium to them.....hmmmm) anyway, premium upgrade includes premium liquor - the only one i used was baileys - your own premium lounge - which before it got super busy was fantastic.....your own fully stocked bar and a selection of nice appies, a couple hot foods, cappucino machine, breads, and cereals, etc. - ocean view room - private beach - 20% off spa services, and then what we thought would be the part worth it....alacarte reservations can be made for the entire week at one time, anytime - also alacaret for entire time - not just 3 times a week. We are still up in the air as to whether it was worth it or not....I think it def. was before hotel filled up (838 rooms I was told)....after that, not quite sure. Make up your own mind I guess....anyway, the room was as all others pics and comments...except we got "special" room because of premium, top floor, ocean view, 7205 to be exact. anyway, hadnt been used for awhile cuz had a weird gecko thing in shower stall first morn..never saw again after it went down drain...lost its home. Lets get to the good stuff, and by the good stuff I mean the bad stuff...short and sweet...one girl at front desk who wears the black sweater...lose the attitude! I read the review about the pollution from ONE PERSON on all the reviews....ReallY? My God, our ocean view was a "smog view". I couldnt breathe when I would sit on the balcony looking out at the oil refinery spewing a brown cloud of noxious fumes from one side of the bay to the other....I would wait for the wind to pick up and blow some of it away...depending on the wind direction and speed...some days the sun was a light in a circle of brown and i could taste the air....not my idea of a holiday smell ...where's the ocean smells, the flowers, the coconuts, etc....yuck. The bed was horrid, got a cover and made it a little better, then took the soft blanket from closet and used that to lie on too....the sheets are like sandpaper! especially if you are even slightly burnt.....the pellows are a brick wrapped in sandpaperf! I took the decorative pillow out of the shams and used those...they were a little softer...bring your own pillow ifyou want to sleep. The marble floors get old quick as they are always cold and slippery when you spray on the sunscreen, using the complimentary slippers comes in handy. Although I left no less then 40 pesos a day, the mirrors in the bathroom werent cleaned once, and one day we ran out of kleenex and toilet paper. None of the toiletries were replaced, Iguess you get one per visit (although there were cool ones - like talc powder, shaving cream, comb, vanity kit, razor, loofah, bath salts, etc. etc. Although this was the "special room" a big chunk of marble had been broken off in the bathroom and caulked back on...kinda funny. I got sick after eating at the buffet, which we found out we didnt need to eat at...I called the next day to see if we got 20% off alacarte and that was when they told us we got unlimited alacarte...they are not very communicative about these types of things. Wasnt right in the tummy until day we left....maybe, my partner, not until 3 days after home...then again he ate the nigiri at the japanese restaurant.lol. Mexican restaurant was such a let down we didnt go back.....do not get the chicken in red sauce, its really pieces of chicken in red soup with a side plate of cut onion and lettuce, very weird, that was okay, I gave him my food,which I didnt want to touch...there was no tortilla soup as the one guy referred to as a great. there is not 3 restaurants - japanese is newest - as its confusing - some places say 2 alacartes, 2 restaurants, etc. they recently added this third. kyoto. we are from vancouver, sushi capital...we didnt expect much and were not disappointed. the salads were cool and the three soy sauces were neat - spicy, sesame and lime....we need to pick up on that! but besides that....the rice was crunchy, no crab in the california roll!? and every roll had cream cheese. the nigiri was sliced super thin.......i didnt eat much...they made me a great martini....thank god, cuz Kevin wasnt the same since he ate. the spicy shrimp soup was ok, but better if you get a miso and spicy shrimp and mix the two.... the staff was great tho. the staff at mexican restaurant, not that great,, very uptight. anyway, we went to italian, favourite staff, food was good first night ...maybe it was too many drinks? so we went back a 2nd time, not that good, the 3rd time my partner had to literally run out of the restaurant, someone else was already moaning in the bathroom, a mexican at that, not a good sign...he didnt make it to the room, only to the lobby..... was it the ice, the food, the salad, the fish, the water? who knows, but i think you have to stay 2 weeks cuz the first week is spent bing sick. i was ready to leave on sunday and forego the monday and tuesday.....spent one day and night sick in bed. went to miramar beach...saw 2 other white people on enitre beach....lots of resentful looks tho. I know what the other woman was referring to....you go to a place like jamaica and they genuinely appreciate that you are a tourist and there, whereas mexico feels like "i know you're here and I need your money, but I dont have to like it...give me your money and move along" especially on miramar... you got that feeling of "get off my beach" and in town as well. as holy week approached and the resort filled up with rich mexicans you had the intrusion feeling even more. i learned alot of spanish and used it as much as possible...nobody laughed...not until I asked for a mojito....they wont make you one...a caesar......nope....try a miami vice - daquiri and margarita mixed....no drink menus so you just have to run after people and ask what they are drinking. no sit at bars except for maybe one if you can grab one of the 5 stools. no swim up bars. no hot tubs. beach was great if you were under 10. otherwise forget it. we went to beach to the right, if looking out to ocean. you can bring your towels and your drinks and security guard will keep an eye out for you. if tide is in the swimming is better, but the waves are nice there, if you go to beach to left the waves are over 6 ft. and you need to be careful. we were told someone broke their neck there a few weeks ago (by transat rep). anyway, all in all i guess you get what you pay for. entertainment was a joke and we didnt even go to the "disco" as we heard it was a joke. nothing else to do tho if you are still up by then, we were asleep by 10 everyday and up before 8am, although that still didnt get you a lounger....not one to be found, although people had no probs reserving more then 10 with dif. articles, and then never coming back....the signs "no saving" were put up the day were were leaving, I guess we werent the only ones complaining. Hmmmmm, no other entertainment, be careful if you have kids on the weekend as the hbo family channel is right next to the cinemax porn channel on friday nights...kinda weird...and o ya! walls are paper! after being woken up by our neighbours phone rining day we arrived, we got to hear all her conversation about Ricardo and that "thankfully" they were checking out at 11 (o yeah - premium you can check in and out extra 2 hours too) anyway, thank goodness that no one else was beside us until night before check out....a family checked in at 10pm and the kids were bouncing balls running around, screaming and jumping on the beds. we banged...we know they could hear us....we were almost asleep....!!!! nothing, finally when we couldnt hear the tv anymore i called downstairs and asked them to tame the monkeys next door...we heard their phone ring, "ola" we heard her answer, then we got to listen to the kids jump up and down on the beds screaming "you are idiot" for 15 minutes until we cranked up tv and made "noises" loudly, then still, heard them take baths and then finally go to bed, the morning was fine once they left and thankfully we left the next day or there would have been trouble. A dif. couple said the wedding kept them up all night and they got premium bracelets for the trouble...worth the try....also, ask for a room with a view of the bay on the manzanillo side, that way you can look at the waves on the beach, not the pollution fooming out the spouts...also, you can hear waves apparently, whereas being in the main part of the hotel you get to hear the skinny mexican kids fuzzy non-understandable babbly from 10am to 6pm, interspersed with music of all ages andtimes....if there was no polluion then you would still have tokeep the patio doors closed...if you wanna hear yourself think.....All in all, everything I want in ahoiday, the smells and sounds and tastes that arent from a city....were here...I want to smell a holiday and hear a holiday....not smell a city and hear a city and taste the mercury i can see dropping into the ocean and going into my food. the grillwas our choice for breakfast and lunches. get my own cappuccionos. stuck to soups and tomatores. partner ate "meat in sauce" and "white fish in sauce" ONLY ONCE, not again, although it was there everyday....one day the soup was "meat juice"....yummmmy meat juice...lol. Big disappointment in food, beach, view, ambience.......good - weather. getting home was great...cuz we bumped up to club class..we used our excursion money and did that instead. hit a tail wind made it 40 mins early. bypassed lines, well worth it. had best food allweek on plane. our own bathrooms too....which you need for the ride home...couldnt wait to get off plane and breathe some good clean crisp bc air....ahhh, never wanted to get home from a holiday more....my advice, save your money and go to a sandals or club med instead - if couples only - or a beaches if for the kids.....you get what you pay for.....o ya, held back and took van to airport too......he took the scenic route and we still beat the bus! try it! i will post some pics soon....the real pics nobody else posted.lol. good luck!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sabrinaVancouver_Bc
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 4 April 2010

We just returned from a one week visit to the Barcelo Karmina Palace (3/27-4/3/10) and thought the visit was great overall. We were traveling with our two kids (ages 7 and 9) and two other families with kids ranging in age from 4-14. The hotel is very clean, the rooms are large and well laid out. We were in club premium, but think all the rooms are similar in size and set-up across the hotel. One of our travel partners had to reserve the suite room, as they had three kids, which was incredible! The suites have 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, living area, dining area, kitchen, huge, huge balcony and a hot tub/small pool on the balcony. All I can say is WOW! Their balcony overlooked the nightly show, so we often just watched the show from their balcony and enjoyed the fantastic views.

The beach is on the small side, but was plenty big enough for the kids to have a blast playing on the beach and in the water. The beach gets some good sized waves, which the kids thought were fun. We were there during their busiest week (leading up to Easter) and the beach did not seem over crowded. The family pools were nice - but not quite as big as we would have liked them - but again, no problem. One drawback is we did have to play the towel game. Since there was 13 of us, we usually just tried to get about 6 chairs in between the beach and pools since the kids roamed back and forth between the two. We usually saved them between 6:30-7:00 in the morning. I am guessing this is not as much of an issue at less busy times of the season - again we were there during prime spring break this year. The kids loved the waterslide. One drawback - the pools did not have a swim up bar, which is always kind of fun for the kids to get their kiddie drinks at.

Since we were in club premium, we had unlimited a la carte reservation opportunities and at at all three (Meixican, Italian and Japanese) two times each. I thought the Italian was the best food, the Japanese the best service and the Mexican the best overall ambience. In general I thought the food at the resort was ok - not great/not bad. We stayed at the Barcelo Riveria Maya last year and thought the food was better there in comparison - but that resort is also about 2+ times the size of this one. We did have people in our group get sick both days after eating at the Mexican restaurant - not sure if that was why or more a fluke. It was a bummer that some got sick, but when you travel in any foreign country it is a risk. The buffets have a decent selection for lunch and breakfast (loved the omelets and quesadilla's at breakfast!). There is also a snack bar with decent hamburgers, hot dogs, and nachos - which we frequented a lot! The salsa was wonderful! The drinks were usually well made - especially the margaritas! I was bummed that they did not make mojitos though (my favorite) :).

I went running each morning and left the property -running along the main drag at around 6:30 am and felt totally safe. Manzanillo is a beautiful area with the mountains and beaches - much prettier than the Riveria Maya area in my opinion.

The employees at the resort were wonderful and so friendly. I emailed in advance of our visit requesting that they keep our three families close together if possible, which they largely accomodated. The nightly shows were ok and generally fun to watch. We would definitely consider going back to this resort, but would like to see them add some additional ammenities - such as mini golf and a basketball court for the kids to play at.

I think most people will enjoy this resort - it was very family friendly and not a big spring break obnoxious crowd. Enjoy if you go!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Kimf
First and foremost we would like to thank you for the praising review you shared following your visit to our Barcelo Karmina hotel and are delighted to read that we were able to match your expectations.