“Palace is an appropriate name...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Barcelo Karmina

Barcelo Karmina
Ranked #1 of 53 Hotels in Manzanillo
Winnipeg, Canada
“Palace is an appropriate name...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

We stayed from Jan4-11th at this hotel and it was definately a good find. we have been to Mexico 3 times before and this was hands down the nicest hotel with the nicest rooms of any we have stayed at.

Rooms were very spaceous and well decorated. Bathroom was huge and my wife did enjoy having her own sink. The view from our Balcony was unbeleiveable(rm# 5021) if I went here again I would request this room. Only negative was the step in the middle of room right by the bed one of our group had a fall in the middle of night.

Food was fine as far as Mexican buffets go. The italian a la carte was our favorite of the fine dining restaurants.

Staff was helpful and friendly and made our stay very enjoyable.

The town is by no means as touristy as some of the more popular resorts so if nightlife is what you are after you may consider somewhere else. That being said we did find a couple of nice restaurants along Miramar Beach(awesome place by the way) to have drinks in the afternoon.

In closing I would definately return to this hotel.A+!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank jmx2
Citlally C, Guest Experience Manager at Barcelo Karmina, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Thank you for the great feedback of your holiday experience at our Barceló Karmina; guest satisfaction is our number one goal and there is nothing better than achieving that, we are happy our hotel and staff were able to meet all your needs during your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2011

My family and some extended family members stayed at the Barceló Karmina Palace from December 31st through January 14th. Here are the highlights.
Transport/Carrier
We arranged the trip through Transat vacations and the flight was chartered with Canjet. I was a little apprehensive as our last trip on Canjet was disappointing to say the least. Very tight seating and the food was below par. To my surprise it was a rather pleasant flight. There seemed to be a little more leg room on this plane and the food was somewhat better. In speaking with one of the friendly attendants, I learned that during peak season Canjet leases planes from European airlines which accounts for the slightly extra leg room and that on November 1st they changed their food supplier. All in all it was a good flight down and we left and arrived as scheduled. The return flight was pretty much the same although we left Manzanillo 20 minutes early and the DVD system on the plane was broken so no movies for entertainment.
Resort:
The trip from the airport to the resort was about 30 minutes. At the airport we were ushered into a van and our luggage was packed onto nearby busses which caused some concern amongst others on the bus. When we arrived at the resort, lo and behold our luggage had arrived before us. Check-in was quite efficient taking less than 20 minutes then we were off to our room with a bellboy leading the way. The rooms are very spacious allowing plenty of room for the three of us (2 in the bed with a child on the pull out sofa). At first there was a musty smell but it didn’t last more than a day. Bathroom is large with 2 sinks, shower stall, large bathtub and toilet stall. We were in room 6003, which provided a beautiful view of the bay and pool area. Most mornings were spent sitting on the balcony sipping a coffee and Bailey’s (which we brought). Just fantastic. The grounds are immaculate and constantly being tended. Something they obviously take pride in.
Restaurants:
The daily morning buffet offered many choices and no one was disappointed. Coffee and mimosas flowed freely giving the day that needed kick start.
The evening buffet was theme based (French, Brazilian, Mexican etc.) and there was always plenty to choose from and we never left hungry. One suggestion to the resort would be to separate the dishes having all fish/shellfish dishes into one section. My wife has a life threatening allergy so at times she had to resort to salad due to witnessing people cross contaminating dishes by using one set of tongs for both fish and non-fish dishes. If all the fish dishes were in one area this wouldn’t be an issue. Never the less, she did survive the 2 weeks.
The Italian was nice and offered an amazing steak. Others enjoyed their meals with the exception of the veal which was very fatty.
The Mexican restaurant was by far the best. The wait staff were amazing and constantly running around and the food outstanding. We ate here our last night and were treated to dinner and a show as there was a whale in the bay which breached several times keeping me somewhat distracted from the menu.
Staff:
We did not encounter one unpleasant staff member our entire stay. Ignacio at the buffet was amazing, appearing out of nowhere to help with your chair or clear an empty plate. Aaron, the waiter at the pool was good at remembering what you were drinking and given the territory he had to cover, usually was asking if we needed anything before we had a chance to finish the previous drink. An amazing feat if you were to see the ground this man covers. And finally the pool side animation team of Bernardo, Citlally and Alberto were always go, go, go getting activities started, encouraging people to join and generally making people feel welcomed. These guys (and gal) really seem to love their jobs and interacting with guests and surely added to our vacation experience.
We attended every evening show at least once and they were as good or better than anything we’ve seen in Riviera Maya or Cuba.
One suggestion I do have … if you bring a thermal cup on your vacation, such as a Bubba, please leave them behind for the waiters by the pool or the ones on the beach, or even the resort grounds keepers. It’s really hot and these cups keep their water cold and this gesture is much appreciated. We left our 5 Bubbas for the dance crew upon request from the animation staff. Small gestures go a long way!
Overall I would strongly recommend this resort to families looking for a safe relaxing southern escape.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for reviewing your stay in our Barceló Karmina. It is wonderful to hear we were able to make your stay special from the moment you arrived until the moment you departed.
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2011

my husband and I just returned with my sister and brother in law from a wonderful, perfect, relaxing week at the Karmina Palace. I too have relied on these reviews for trips to Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, The Mayan Riviera etc etc. Please read a few of the most recent reviews below. I would only repeat the wonderful comments the folks said about this resort, the people and the all around satisfaction. One thing I would like to speak to as well as every wonderful comment that came before me, was the work out facilities were top notch. We both like to work out. We use cardio machines, which were plentiful but most importantly there was free weights for weight workouts. This is not very common and it was excellent.
We had perfect weather, lots of laughs, great service and terrific food at all three al la carts as well as the buffet. There was no problem changing canadian money into pesos at the front desk and finally the staff were so friendly and helpful. We really felt honored to be with lots of local family guests who enjoyed us seeing their beautiful families.
The Barcelo chain has our vote for a definite return trip. it was our pleasure to be a part of their attention to excellence.

Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mkathleen
First and foremost we would like to thank you for the praising review you shared following your visit to our Barcelo Karmina hotel and are delighted to read that we were able to match your expectations.
Hawkesbury, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2011

This is a very nice resort. I give it five stars for scenery , cleanliness , hospitality ,great food ,lots of swimming pools , good entertainment . The staff are very helpful and always
of good humour . It is built on a hillside , so , although it is indicated as wheelchair
accessible , there is along and fairly steep walkway from the lobby to the buffet
restaurant , the main pool and the entertainment theatre . I have only one leg , so
for me it was difficult walking on crutches . The mexican restaurant is probably the
nicest , with the best food that I have seen in a long time . In the two weeks we were
there, there was no rain and the weather was in the low 80`s , however there was
some smog for a few days due to a coal-fired plant in Manzanillo .Apparently ,this
plant will be converted to natural gas next year . There are interesting tours , such as
zip lining ,tours of Colima and a turtle farm . All in all ,it is a resort that I would visit
again . My family and I felt safe . One last comment on the New Year`s Eve buffet :
it was magnificent , our participation having been arranged by the Air Transat staff .

1 Thank ron022
Firstly we would like to thank you for the lovely review you shared following your visit to our Barceló hotel and are delighted to read that we were able to match your holiday expectations.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2011

Perhaps my review is colored by the fact that I went to PV last winter and stayed at Dreams. The hotel is clean and the service is excellent. However, don't go if: you want caffeinated coffee in the room (told to get from room service 130mxn); you want to walk on a beach or hear waves hitting the beach (on a lagoon); of course you wouldn't hear the water anyway because you can't have the doors open because the disco goes on until 2am; if you want good food - at least 2 meals were pre-cooked and re-heated and we upgraded to Premium just so we wouldn't have to deal with the buffet 3 times a day; even the buffet was not good (out of a lot of stuff and cold food). Do go: if you like steps and children. I guess the worst part would be the food. The rooms were very nice with turn down service and chocolates. However, it is not a 5 star or even a 4 star resort.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the time you took out of your day to share your comments regarding your stay in our Barceló Karmina hotel.
Fullerton, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2011

We just got back from a five night stay at the Karmina Palace. Overall, we enjoyed our stay. Our room (7026) was huge. It was on the top floor overlooking the 17th hole and miles of beachfront. At night we can hear the waves crashing and in the morning we could watch the sun rise over the distant hills. The A/C worked great and we had no musty smell in the room. Our only complaint was that beds are harder than what we are used to. We tipped our housekeeper daily and she kept our minibar filled with bottled waters and Sol Cerveza. We did find some mouse poop on the balcony the first morning we were there. We never saw any droppings inside but we were sure to keep the balcony door closed tight at night to keep the critters outside.
We ate all the restaurants at the resort. My favorite was Capri the Italian themed restaurant. The service was great at all three a la cart restaurants. We had no problem getting the reservations to the a la carte restaurants. There was usually a line at the concierge desk at 10am but we got down there at 10:30am and there was no line and we were able to still get a reservation. We went to the Buffet for dinner one night and we had excellent service from Victor. He was very friendly and attentive. After dinner, he brought us a café especial which is a cappuccino with brandy. We preferred to eat our breakfast at buffet restaurant rather than at the grill near the pool because we thought food selection was better. The snack shack by the beach is great option for lunch if you just want to grab a quick bite. They have build your own burgers there that are pretty good. We liked the food that the resort had. We enjoyed the many options and thought the food tasted great.
We spent our days at the pool. The water in the pool was too cold for me to get used to. I tried them all and I found that the activities pool felt the warmest but it still wasn’t where I would like it to be. I had heard that the pool heater was being fixed but I believe they rely on the sun to do most the heating. I know some people that went there in the summer and said that the water was just right during their visit. We took our Bubba Mugs and it worked out great because the plastic cups that the resort uses are small. The pool servers do make their rounds but there were times when we had to go the bar to get our own drinks because a pool server wasn’t around.
We went to see the show a couple times and the first night that we went it was the Caribbean themed show. We were impressed by what we saw. Most of the time at the resorts we’ve been to the nightly entertainment is just the animation team doing skits and lip syncing. This wasn’t the case here. The show at Karmina Palace has a live band, singers and professional dancers. We went away from the first show thinking it was probably the best nightly entertainment we seen at a resort. The second show we saw had the theme of Paris Las Vegas and we were disappointed because this show had lip syncing and they filled in a large part of the show with a mime show. We could figure out is theme was about Paris, Las Vegas or was it about the hotel named Paris in Las Vegas. We didn’t go back to the show after that night.
We feel we got our moneys worth from the trip to Karmina Palace. It is not our favorite Mexican all inclusive resort but it does rank in the top five for us.

2 Thank Gordofeliz
We greatly appreciate the time you spent to review your experience in our hotel, at Barceló we always strive to exceed guests' expectations and your comments will help our teams reaching that goal.
Fort McMurray, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2011

Before reviewing this place I'd like to thank everyone through the years who have reviewed locations and have contributed on the forums. We have been looking in on the comments for years and have found them extremely helpful. That said It is high time I contributed myself. We have been traveling throughout Central America and the Caribbean for about 10 years now and our travel agent out of the blue suggested Manzanillo. Not having been there before we thought why not? The flight got us there and bus got us to resort and off we were whisked to our room.

Great surprise. The room was extremely clean (stayed this way throughout the stay), two tv's, huge bathroom, king sized bed and one of the biggest balconies we have ever had. In short, great place to sleep with more amenities than any couple needs on a beach vacation. We requested an upper floor room away from the noise of the nightly shows and that was exactly what we got. Excellent views of both the beach and the 17th hole of the Las Hadas course. The hand delivered champagne and fruit basket on our arrival to the room was also a nice touch.

Food - Excellent throughout. Buffet had plenty of variety and was always of quality. If anyone states that the food there is boring and repetitive get an invite to their place for supper as they are eating way better than anyone else I have ever met! The a la cartes were great as well but we stuck to the buffet more as it is more convenient and does not take as much time to get a meal.

Food off the resort - Even better than on the resort! We are not fine dining people. We prefer good quality simple food and Manzanillo has this in spades. Whether you go downtown, Miramar beach or anywhere else use some common sense. Ask your tour guides, cab driver and lobby staff as to where the good places to eat are. They will not stir you wrong and you will not be disappointed. This place has great food and the pricing is very reasonable.

Local shopping and street scene - For people that want high end shopping this is not the location for you. The stores by and large service the local population. Manzanillo has Mexico's largest port on the Pacific Ocean. So the community is not totally reliant on tourism. The result is a selection of many stores that you would find at home. If you are willing to stroll and look there are some unique shops that have some excellent arts and crafts. The general souvenir shops are not hard to find if that is what you are after. We managed to find a terrific little shop in a local mall that had excellent local artwork for sale. That was enough for us. The rest was simply enjoying how the local people go about their lives.

Pools - Plenty of them and they all looked nice.

Beach - As many before have stated it is small. If you are late risers you may have a bit of a problem with those people who reserve beach chairs. For our purposes it was great. We woke up every morning to the sunrise and at that time all we had to to do was find our lounge space for the day. The chairs were cozy, the sun was hot and there was sand between our toes. Special thanks goes out to Aide who is a friendly drink serving phantom. Our mugs never went empty. Being able to snorkel and see a variety of fish right off the beach was a bonus.

Golf - Having our course covered in snow we had to check out the offerings. The 9 hole Club Santiago is a very scenic walk. Very enjoyable. One word of caution. If you are going to rent clubs do not expect much. The left handed set I got there looked like a group of cast off clubs that Jack Nicklaus would not have wanted as a rookie. If you are a serious golfer bring your own clubs. Isla Navidad about 45 minutes away from the resort is stunning. Very much worth the drive.

Excursions - The ATV tour is a great time. Very a scenic and a bunch of fun. We also visited the turtle sanctuary. Very low key tour but you will not be able to take the smile off your face after releasing baby turtles into the ocean.

In General - The BKP is an extremely well ran resort. The staff is very friendly and works extremely hard to make your stay memorable. They also are a very family friendly resort dedicated to taking care of kids as well as adults. If you are looking for a resort to enjoy the sun, find a few neat excursions, and be spoiled by an excellent staff them this is the resort for you! If this place is on your radar go to it it. You will have no regrets.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank frozensunlovers
Thank you very much for sharing this great review of your stay at Barceló Karmina. We are thrilled that you have enjoyed your stay and certainly agree that our dedicated staff plays a key role to our guests' overall experience. The entire team works very hard to ensure that we deliver a high standard of service and a warm, memorable experience.